[NFB-DB] ASL Instruction for Deaf Blind

Rox Homstad pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 13:18:18 UTC 2021

Lisa,
You said this so well. At the time I became deafblind-- in 6 weeks from start to finish-- I was my family's only means of support, living in New Orleans 6 months after Hurricane Katrina and the destruction of the levees and I couldn't just... pack up and take 9 months. I had a full time job and coworkers and clients who relied upon me to be there and do it.
It took 2 years of me advocating but finally VR paid for 3 years of private ASL instruction and I have been up and running since. I also searched out other opportunities on my own such as local deaf and deafblind events, things like deaf chat coffee and Deaflympics. I made an effort to get to know local DB people or people near enough to whom I could travel. Honestly deciding to learn ASL and pursueing that education was a second full time job. I don't regret it but I also wish there were other opportunities for DB people that didn't involve going and living at their training center for 9 months.

Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
Soleil, Rowan, Phoenix
https://sneakeezebra.wordpress.com/
pawpower4me at gmail.com