[NFB-DB] Hearing aids

Tracie Inman tracielinman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 01:10:49 UTC 2021

Hi:
 I was born blind and lost my hearing when I was 8. I tried many different
hearing aids.  Nothing was effective. I depended on sign language most of
my life.  In 2006 and 2007 I got Cochlear Implants in both ears.  Slowly, I
gained the gift of hearing.  It changed my life.  I gained so much
independence, learned to hear without depending on ASL, and was able to
finish college and start a career.  I have no regrets, and I am thankful
every day for the precious gift that I have been given.  Cochlear Implants
don't change who I am. I am still Deaf.  I still use ASL as my primary
language. That didn't change, but now I can hear one-on-one in quiet
settings, speak with people who don't sign, and maintain some degree of
independence. It's not perfect. Technology will never be perfect, but it is
a gift which I don't take for granted.

Sincerely,
Tracie Inman

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 4:48 PM Penny Leclair via NFB-DB <nfb-db at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> When to consider implants is very individual. If you compare this decision
> to when should you take medication to relieve pain it varies with each
> person.
>

> When life gets difficult and you find you are not interacting as you would
> like with others. When your isolation gets to be too much! That varies with
> each person. When I lost hearing continuously I lost more than hearing, and
> when I couldn’t carry a decent conversation, when I opted to be more alone,
> when I felt sad about more than not hearing, for Penny Leclair, it was time
> to get technology inserted and on to a new venture.
>

> Do what is right for you. Ask questions, keep an open mind and take your
> time to feel what is your path going forward.
>
> Penny

> Windows

*Tracie Inman*