[NFB-DB] Fwd: Celebrate Usher Syndrome Awareness Day

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 12:22:40 UTC 2021

Today, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2021 is USHER SYNDROME AWARENESS DAY!

We hope you’ll join the Usher Syndrome Coalition in recognition of the 7th
annual global Usher Syndrome Awareness Day. This special day belongs to our
community and falls on Saturday, September 18th this year.

Usher Syndrome Awareness Day seeks to bring attention to the most common
genetic cause of combined deafness and blindness. By raising awareness
around the world, we connect those living with Usher syndrome and
accelerate research towards treatments and a cure.

What is Usher syndrome? Usher syndrome (USH) is a rare inherited condition
- passing from parents to children - that impacts three major senses in the
body: vision, hearing and balance. It is estimated to affect at least
25,000 people in the United States and over 400,000 worldwide. There are
three clinical types of Usher syndrome: Type 1 usually causes profound
deafness at birth, vestibular (balance) dysfunction and progressive vision
loss; Type 2 usually causes moderate to severe hearing loss at birth and
progressive vision loss; Type 3 usually causes later onset progressive
hearing loss and progressive vision loss.

Why September 18? In 2015, the Usher Syndrome Coalition, an organization of
individuals and families working to build the global USH community and
speed the search for a cure, declared the third Saturday in September as
our global “Usher Syndrome Awareness Day.” This day falls near the autumnal
equinox in the northern hemisphere, marking the start of days that contain
more darkness than light - a powerful metaphor for the threat of Usher
syndrome.

Join us today in celebration of our Growing Global Community!

#USHDAY

#September18th

Maggie Stringer
Phone: (443) 750-0070
Email: ravensfan784 at gmail.com

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."