[NFB-DB] Vertigo and Mobility Issues

Tony May kg6sxy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:35:10 UTC 2021

Thanks Stuart,

I currently use a trekking pole but I could never find a really stable tip for it.  The best tip I could find is almost round like a ball but with two poles, it doesn't provide me enough feedback about which way is up.  When my balance was better, I could get away with leaning to the left on the trekking pole until things returned to a more stable view of the world.  That doesn't work any more.  I often end up half way to the ground before I can tell which direction I'm falling.  I have a lot of bruises and battle scars. lol

For ice, I have strap on ice cleats for my shoes that work really well.  The extra large round tip on the trekking pole is so-so on ice.  It doesn't slip as much as a hard rubber tip but it still slips from time to time.

Luckily, I mostly need the support cane for balance.  When my neuropathy is really bad, I don't even consider leaving the house and wheel around the house on a padded stool to take care of cooking, etc.

Take care,
Tony