[NFB-DB] Help for elderly blind patient using a rollator

Tracie Inman tracielinman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:17:25 UTC 2022

Hello:
 I am Deafblind and use a rollator and a white cane.  There are also apps
like "Be My Eyes" and AIRA that can help.  There should be a Commission for
the Blind, Lighthouse for the Blind, or other rehab  that offers
Orientation & Mobility Training to the client. It also sound s to me like
the staff in that ALF could benefit from some Disability Sensitivity
Training. With a little training and support this individual could learn to
be independent in her ALF.

Best Wishes,
Tracie Inman

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 12:24 PM Lisa Ferris via NFB-DB <nfb-db at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> There are many people who do use white canes with a walker, rollator, or
> wheelchair, or who come to use a walker as a cane. It takes some patience
> and practice, but is doable. I am putting a link below with a video that
> shows some one doing this. Also, this sounds like more of an issue with the
> attitudes of the assisted living staff than anything else. Surely with some
> verbalizing and caution someone could walk without being a danger to
> others. This sounds more like a perceived danger that the staff CNIB wrap
> their head around.
>
> Video link: https://youtu.be/724oqz20_z0
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 18, 2022, at 9:04 AM, Nunery1234 via NFB-DB <nfb-db at nfbnet.org>
> wrote:
>

> Hi I’m an Occupational Therapist working with a blind adult who recently
> has had to stop using her white cane and now is using a rollator for all
> her mobility needs. She lives in an assisted living facility and is now
> relegated to wait for a guide to walk anywhere in the building as she and
> the facility are afraid of her hitting another resident.  Are there any
> sensor devices that really work? I’ve seen online different clip on and
> wrist band sensors but not much information as to their effectiveness.
> Thanks in advance for any information.

*Tracie Inman*