[NFB-DB] IRS ID.me Verification

maurice mines maurice at maurice-amines.com
Tue Feb 8 18:16:20 UTC 2022

good morning, if you're talking about the verification that Apple Inc.,
nothing to do with the national Federation of the blind. Sends out when
you request technical support from Apple. That verification comes up as
a box on all of your Apple devices that are signed into your Apple ID.
However you should know you do have first right of refusal meaning you
don't have to use it. However if you don't use it then you will need to
provide your product serial number and/or registration number to get
technical support. If this is some other verification those
verifications generally come from say for instance your financial
institution. In that case I would suggest getting in contact with your
financial institution and mentioning the fact that you are deaf blind.
I've done both of these things. And for the most part they seem to work
people seem to get it. This is why this year one of the national
Federation of the blind legislative priorities if the 21st-century web
accessibility proposal. Those of you that are involved in Washington
seminar activities might wish to talk with whoever is doing legislative
appointments in your state about this. However you should know that for
the most part I personally have not had a big issue with the
verifications except for with my financial institution. In that case I
constantly remind the financial institution ideal with, about the
accessibility barrier that exists.

When contacting any of these entities about these verification messages,
always be polite. I think outfits get turned off quickest if you're mad
and upset. Another suggestion is to find out who within a certain
company handles accessibility issues regarding their products and/or
their customer service offerings.

If this is extreme, then yes you might wish to contact the legal team at
the national office. But I would only do this if this is an extreme
access barrier. I hope that my comments, and advice on this issue are
helpful. I am just building on what Robert Stargell said over the weekend.

Please note that I am dictating this to the computer via dictation
software. There may in fact be some minor errors in the written text
above. If there's something that is written above that you truly don't
understand, please reach out to me and asked me what my original intent
was? I look forward to clearing up any misunderstandings that may have
arisen based on the above written text. Thank you very much for reading
this.

Maurice Mines, Board Member
National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division
Email: board4 at nfbdeaf-blind.org <mailto:board4 at nfbdeaf-blind.org>
Website: www.nfbdeaf-blind.org <http://www.nfbdeaf-blind.org>
Live the life you want.
The National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division, a proud division
of the National Federation of the Blind, is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.