[NFB-DB] Fwd: Now Hiring - Please Share

Rod and Ele Macdonald erjmacdonald at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:47:54 UTC 2022

Scott,

You are spot-on in my opinion.

The deaf-blind "culture" - I introduced this concept over 30 years ago and still believe in it - is the only culture I know of with TWO languages, neither of which is "ours". (We borrow English from hearing people and ASL from Deaf people, then try to adapt as best we can.) I believe that any person who is (1) blind, has low vision, or has tunnel vision AND (2) is deaf or hard-of-hearing, is a deaf-blind person, and any attempt to provide services to this group should take into account the needs of the entire population to be served.

I would presumably be a consumer of such services if I lived in the service area, but I neither use ASL nor have usable hearing: What should the hiring authority put in the job description such that my communication needs are "covered"?

It is a challenge, but an issue that should be challenged.

Rod