[NFB-DB] What do we want Employers to Know

TonyMay KG (kg6sxy) kg6sxy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:37:41 UTC 2022

I agree wholeheartedly with Heather. I still like to acknowledge the interpreter for the critical service they are providing.  I'm always uncomfortable when interpreters get treated like a piece of furniture.

Another good thing to mention is to be creative in the interview process.  Some companies rely on a lot of visual material for software development positions, for example, so throwing a piece of paper at a potential employee and leaving the room expecting them to write a bunch of code to solve the problem is not very practical.  Creative accommodations also show the potential employee how easy, or not, it will be to be productive in the environment.

The personality of the potential employee and how well they will fit in with existing team members is far more important than finding someone that already knows everything you need them to do.  It doesn't matter if a person is like a walking wikipedia if they show toxic behavior tendencies.

Always be prepared to answer a lot of questions from the potential employee.  If they don't have anything to ask throughout the interview, they haven't invested enough time to research the company they are applying for.  The potential employee should be just as invested in asking questions so they have a better idea of what the environment will be like if they do get the job.

I hope these help.

Take care,
Tony