[NFB-DB] Flying/Traveling with Low Vision and Mild Hearing Loss

Misty Kienzynski mkienzyn at alumni.iu.edu
Tue Jul 11 18:16:16 UTC 2023

Greetings.

I am a medium-low partial with mild hearing loss who is soon looking to travel solo abroad.

From what I can tell, I am currently not at a stage to need hearing aids, though I do struggle a bit in louder environments.  I also have pre-existing ear pressure issues and I am worried about how flying will affect my ability to hear due to differences in cabin pressure while ascending/flying/landing.

First, these ear pressure issues: Understanding that you guys are not doctors, how do you think flying could affect me?

Secondly, I am planning to take a cheaper Braille display should I need it to communicate.

Third, I am looking for, I think you call it, a personal sound amplifier that I can take with me on my trip, specifically for speech comprehension.  I am looking for an accessible and cheap one.  Do any of you have any recommendations? If so, could yu please provide direct links to them?

Finally, do you guys have any other recommendations for me, given my situation on  this trip?

Thanks.

—

Ms. Misty D. Kienzynski

Treasurer

Membership Chair

Historian

National Federation of the Blind—Indiana Affiliate

Phone: 812-381-0073

E-mail: mkienzyn at alumni.iu.edu

Twitter: @AuroraNebulosa

Bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem. — L. Annaeus Seneca