[NFB-DB] Braille Access and inclusion

Rod and Ele Macdonald erjmacdonald at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 02:43:03 UTC 2023

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for the feedback and support.

No, I did not try IP relay, so I can't give feedback on that or  how the assistants behaved. To be quite honest, my sole interest was checking out the transcripts. I do not have the stamina to actually participate in a Zoom meeting, though I am still interested in the content and, even after the fact, a nice transcript would help me.

I stopped using the relay some 20 years ago, mostly because of the time difference with my old pals on the east coast. I attended meetings here until Covid arrived, and very suddenly faced this issue with remote meetings. My wife - my favorite interpreter - doesn't have the stamina anymore either. I'll be 82 in a few weeks.

But I do have a big mouth and I am not shy about using it, and I do, do, do have a very keen interest in trying to fix these things. Advocating does not  necessarily mean advocating for one's own needs. I am mostly content with "me".

While puttering around on this issue I went to Captel, found a contact email captel at captel.com and wrote to that. Possibly the wrong email but to paraphrase Will Rogers - I don't know anything, I only know what I read on the Internet.

I did make one top-of-my-head suggestion to T-Mobile - create a static online transcript for each Zoom or similar meeting, where only the bottom of the transcript is updated on an ongoing basis. Users can read anything above the insertion point with complete navigation, and the content they have access to is continually updated at the bottom. It was a wild idea with no knowledge of the programming required, but at least someone will (?) take a look at some sort of solution.

I hope that advocates for accessibility will undertake the challenge of "sticking up for the underdog" even within theor own group. I have never had any personal use of hearing aids - meaning they have never benefited me personally - but year after year I have testified, in person and in writing, advocating for insurance coverage of hearing aids. (so far, no luck in Hawaii) I do not use ASL myself, but I have for years supported legislation ASL as an officially recognized language - and THAT passed this year.

I do hope that this newly-constituted organization will commit to supporting the needs of all who meet the definition of deaf and blind, even if the leadership does not have a direct affinity with those in need. I also hope the new leadership is, and will remain, open to respectful consideration of ideas they might not themselves share.

Rod