[Nfb-dc] {Disarmed} Fwd: Nov. 22 Georgetown Employment Conference

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 17:38:11 UTC 2013

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John D. Kemp" <info at viscardicenter.org>
Subject: Nov. 22 Georgetown Employment Conference
Date: November 19, 2013 at 12:22:05 PM EST

Georgetown University is proud to recognize the many strides of the past two decades in achieving greater freedom and independence for millions of people with disabilities, and to look ahead to an even brighter future for the disabilities movement.  Today, Georgetown University hosts the Third Georgetown University Conference on Employment of People with Disabilities examining the challenges and opportunities in the area of employment of people with disabilities.  As part of the conference, panels of experts in the areas of public policy, business, federal contracting, and technology will examine the history and future of disability employment. During this month of November, when we, as a country, honor our veterans, we place a particular emphasis on those veterans who return home with a disability and their need, like all Americans, for full employment.

The disabilities movement in America has been, at its core, an effort to gain full participation of its citizens.  It has been an attempt to achieve not special rights, but basic liberties so that every individual, regardless of ability, has access to mainstream American life.  People with disabilities are not a separate part of America, but rather intricate threads in the fabric of American life.  One of the critical issues in achieving greater freedom for everyone is the enhancement of their independence through greater employment.

Each year Georgetown University presents the Human Spirit Award to the person or persons who have made an outstanding contribution to the independence and employment of people with disabilities.  This year we are honored to present the Human Spirit Award to two outstanding individuals, Tom Donohue and Randy Lewis.

Tom Donohue
Thomas J. Donohue is president and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since assuming his position, Donohue has built the Chamber into a lobbying and political powerhouse with expanded influence across the globe. Mr. Donohue’s commitment to the disability rights movement go back decades.  One of his first jobs was with Dr. Henry Viscardi, the legendary disability rights activist and founder of the National Center for Disability Services. A signature project of the Donohue’s Campaign for Free Enterprise is Hiring Our Heroes, which identifies job opportunities for returning military veterans and spouses.

Randy Lewis
During Randy Lewis’s tenure at Walgreens, the company grew from 1,500 to 8,000 stores with the most advanced logistics network in its industry.  Mr. Lewis pioneered a disability employment model in Walgreen’s  distribution centers serves as a model for other companies in the US and internationally. Over his career Lewis has worked to live out his belief that excellence, people, and community are the cornerstones of effective business leadership. His book, No Greatness without Goodness, is scheduled for release in April.

Download Agenda

To register, click here.

Please direct questions to Toby Long at 202-687-8742 or longt at georgetown.edu.

PARTNERS
Bipartisan Policy Center; Michael Marshall, JP Morgan; John D. Kemp, President & CEO of Viscardi; Taylor Price; Cameron Lynch, Fresenius Medical Care; Georgetown University, Center for Child and Human Development