[Nfb-editors] Nfb-editors Digest, Vol 77, Issue 5

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 9 04:10:32 UTC 2011

Bridgit:

I commend your spirit, your love of independence and desire to share this
love with others in order to inspire them to do likewise.  I also share your
dismay that all-too-many blind people are perfectly content (or at least
they can't conceive of anything else) to live in dependency.  My reaction to
all this follows.

Let's face it; most of us are lazy to a greater or lesser extent.  Every one
of us has at times let someone do something for us that we could well have
done for ourselves.  But the other person offered and it was easier and more
comfortable to just go along than it would have been to fight it, risking
opprobrium and accusations of not being greatful.  In other words, there is
short-term gratification in accepting assistance upon occasion.  And there's
nothing wrong with this as long as we weigh the options and understand that
(1) it's our decision to make and (2) there may be both positive and
negative consequences to accepting the assistance and we must decide for
ourselves whether the positives outweigh the negatives.  Furthermore,
society rewards us for being good little dependent blind souls who know our
places.

Moreover, the figurative enslavement of which you write -- the negative
consequences of the willingness to accept society's definition of the
limitations of blindness -- is long-term.  That is, the enslavement is often
not immediately apparent.  In this it is not unlike the possibility of
long-term complications of diabetes.  One doesn't immediately lose a limb
after sucking down a humongous piece of double-fudge chocolate cake with
chocolate frosting even though one's blood sugar might go to 400 mg/dl.
Likewise, if one's girlfriend cuts one's food or drives one everywhere, the
gratification is immediate and it's a bit of an abstract stretch to envision
the possibility that a job you might want in the future won't be offered
because the employer wants a productive employee, not a charity case.

In this connection, I get the impression (especially with the advent of the
Americans with disabilities Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education
Act and other legislation of this ilk, all of which is good) that many young
people today have very little idea how really tough it is out there in the
real world of work and that they may well have to make their own
opportunities for success and advancement.  The problem is that, at least
from my vantage point, no one wishes to hear such uncomfortable truths.
Everyone gets caught up in the promise of technology and we are only *now*
beginning to realize that technology can take away opportunities just as
easily as it can create them.

But this isn't entirely a blindness issue.  I remember many years ago on the
Hunbtley-Brinkley Report (the NBC Nightly News of the 1950's and 1960's)
there was a story about a small Federal office that actually had only one
employee who was his own supervisor and was provided with a plush office,
complete with comfortable chairs, wetbar and stereo.  The employee took it
upon himself tofire himself, i.e.,abolish the office.  He got two reactions
from citizens who wrote him: "Right on!" and "what the hell are you
thinking?  Take the perks, do nothing all day and enjoy it!  Hel, I would!"

It's just worse with blindness because we've been burdened with negative,
stultifying, dream-killing societal stereotypes since the dawn of history.

Like Gary, I wonder if the internet and all the social media are causing
many of us to confuse vacuous conversation and superficial acquaintanceship
with real relationships and actual productivity.  But the mesmerism of
technology, as he admits with his discussion of ham radio in days of yore,
is not new.  I remember many years ago how many blind folks sat around all
day reading talking books.  At a NFB convention once I heard a sighted
person remark that we were the most educated unemployed he'd ever seen!

But I also think there might be some excuse -- if not a good excuse -- for
giving up.  As much as people are into technology, I'd bet that most of us
sense the specter of technology getting away from us -- of jobs using
technology in one-off situations that don't really admit of adaptation for
us because there's no time to do so and no one trains much for such jobs and
they're over-and-done-with before you can say jack Robinson.  Jan Bailey
wrote a prescient letter about this to Dr. Maurer a few years ago.

And then there's the sswitch to a service economy with relatively low-paying
jobs for those who aren't the "best and the brightest".

All of the foregoing is not meant to imply that we should give up.  But
we're going to have to come up with a strategy for conveying what the real
world is like so that when doors are opened, people will be eager to walk
through them.

I'm not advocating that we abolish SSI and SSDI.  That would be like driving
a nail into a board with a pile-driver.  But perhaps we should be less
reticent about confronting our comrades who seem to have time to kill
listening to Internet radio, who seem to be able to obtain a computer, all
the while complaining about the expense of adaptive tech, yet don't have the
time to get out there and earn a living.  Perhaps some articles could do
this without pointing fingers at specific individuals.

As a practical example, I actually *did* tell one gentleman who kept calling
me up that I did not wish to hear from him till he had a nine-to-five job.
Communication didn't stop altogether but it certainly cut down on the
extraneous verbage! (grin)

Mike Freeman