[Nfb-editors] Purpose of a NFB publication

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 9 04:28:57 UTC 2011

Chris:

Great post!

I share your frustration!  I think there are several answers.  The most
pessimistic (while at the same time being the most realistic) is that we
cannot save the whole world; we should rejoice in those whom we *can*
influence to take the momentous step of daring to dream and daring to step
beyond their comfort level and to become independent.  Another answer is to
welcome them into a group with a friendly spirit that accepts them -- even
with their limitations -- and trust that they will eventually find something
or someone to inspire them to grow -- this is the "soft sell".  In this
connection, our kernel books are a written example of the phenomenon.  If
these folks want to become part of the group and the group norm is to be
independent, they'll naturally gravitate to this way of thinking even if
they don't believe it at first.  Dr. Jernigan always used to maintain that
we had to mouth NFB "truths" before we internalized them.

But perhaps part of the problem is the one I mentioned to Bridgit:  I'm not
sure the young people, let alone their parents and grandparents, truly
believe that we, the blind, can be independent and pull our own weight.
That and they don't buy into our view that blindness can be reduced to the
level of a damned nuisance, given training and opportunity (both large
provisos).  I think we just have to be patient, keep trying to spread the
word and revel in our successes.

Mike