[Nfb-editors] Purpose of an NFB publication

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:09:46 UTC 2011

Mike,

I agree with you.  Today, everyone wants their information quick and
short.  This is not just a blind issue, but it is certainly something
prevalent with the blind too.

Social networks and blogs are a neat tool to keep up with friends and
for entertainment purposes, but these electronic means of communication
have grown to fit professional purposes and have become places to find
news.

My friend, and I will admit I do this to at times, will check out
headlines on MSN.com, but does not actually read the articles.  He feels
informed just by reading the headlines.  We really have become a world
where sound byte info is the rule rather than the exception.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, and maybe it is the writer in me, but I know
too many people, blind and sighted, who feel productive, social and
informed simply by sitting on their computer.

Reading online blurbs is not the same as perusing in depth information.
I recently had to write a speech for a class project about the
humanitarian concerns in Sudan.  There was tons of stuff about this
online, but most of it was short and simple.  I had to really go
searching to find in-depth material.

I think for blind people, we are now seeking online resources and tools
to quickly accomplish things that in truth should take time.  Fastfood
learning does not prepare us for much, and many of these things whittle
away at our independence.

Why work in an office if we can stay at home?  Who needs to physically
go to college when we can take online classes?  Why participate in
community activities when we can "socialize" on social networks?

And of course, if we can do everything at home on the computer, what is
the point of training?

I'm not saying doing these things is bad, or that every person working
from home, attending online classes or using social networks is
dependent, but it can be a potential problem.  We all take the easy road
at times, but how is this online presence affecting us in terms of what
we consider convenient and easy, and actually challenging ourselves, and
one another, and reaching our full potential?

I wonder what this means for the future of organizations like the NFB?

I like your comment about how Structured Discovery is no longer popular
though it has been a tried and true method for years.  I don't think us
younger generations truly understand the struggles that came before us.
Don't misunderstand me, we certainly have struggles, I know first hand,
but because of past leaders, so much is set in place for us today.

Sure people may think it is not safe, or want to constantly help us, but
we now can legally travel about independently.  Employers may question
our ability to work, but legally they can not discriminate.  Schools may
still consider us special Ed, and it may take too long for students to
receive their material accessibly, but schools are now legally obligated
to do this.

And I will be controversial here.  Maybe our battle to retain Braille
literacy is not just the fault of educators and law makers.  When blind
people claim Braille is obsolete, and they prefer to use some form of
audio instead of Braille, we don't help our own case.  Maybe if we
hadn't been so willing to accept the move from Braille to audio, we
would not be facing a Braille literacy crisis.

I think I lost my original point!  *smile*

Robert, you're right about this being an overwhelming and pervasive
issue.  Nothing about it is simple.  In 8 years, I have come to realize
the massive monster this is.

So, now what do we do with this?  Instead of talking and talking, can
any action be done?  How can our publications continue to reach people
and affect their mindsets?

It would be interesting to find out how many of us actually read our
publications, and how many skim or even toss aside after checking out
the table of contents.

Gary, I like what you say about finding ways to reach those still
striving for the dream.  I think we really need to look at our
publications and figure out if we have the potential to inspire and draw
people in.

Bridgit

Message: 1