[Nfb-editors] Purpose of an NFB publication

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:26:48 UTC 2011

Lori,

I understand what you are saying.  Blind students can thrive in a
regular classroom, but only if they have the tools and methods, like
Braille and mobility, that we know are essential.

I wrote a research paper a few years ago on this topic, and once I
started, I realized the complexity behind the issue.

Kids need to exposure to alternative skills and positive attitudes as
early as possible.  This is where parents come in.  When they take on
the right attitude, they begin to recognize what their child needs.

It is appalling to me how many blind kids start school, but do not have
the necessary skills.  Blind students need not be in special Ed, yet
when they can not keep up and learn because they lack fundamental
skills, there is no other option.  And as we know, in SPED classes,
blind kids are still not learning these skills, or they are not learning
them well.

It is but one more piece of the puzzle we must to continue to search
for.

Bridgit

Message: 4