[Nfb-editors] New Mexico's Que Pasa December 2011

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sat Dec 3 14:48:57 UTC 2011

Thank you Jim!

Que Pasa December 2011

James Babb, Editor

jim.babb at samobile.net

505-792-9777

(Published four times a year: March, June, September, December)

In this issue:

Preamble

Editor’s note

President’s Message

State Fair Parade

Schreiber escapes coming in last

Governor Cargo’s bust unveiled

2011 White Cane celebration

White Cane Day in Albuquerque

Wedding Bells

White Cane essay contest (2 articles)

Poetry

Coffee on the Med

Lawrence Marcilleno a fantastic mentor

Useful Websites

Good Eating

Meetings and announcements

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is a 501 (c) 3
consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind.  Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our own personal experience
that with training and opportunity it can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance.  We work to see that blind people receive services and
training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children
receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to
be happy, productive adults.  We believe that first-class citizenship means
that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to
see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States,
enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities.  The most
serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about
blindness.  Join us in educating New Mexicans about the abilities and
aspirations of New Mexico’s blind citizens.

(Adapted from NFB of Ohio newsletter.)

Editor’s note

It was announced at the National Convention that next year's Convention will
return to Dallas. National conventions for 2013 through 2018 will be held in
Orlando, Florida at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort; Same place as this year.
The negotiated rate for Orlando will be $63.for those six years!

Amazon Kindle Fire. I was initially enthusiastic about the announcement of
this electronic tablet device since it was introduced at less than half the
price of the apple Ipad. However it was found to be not accessible to blind
users! However some other Amazon products have become somewhat accessible
with text to speech software; for example the Kindle 3.

Braille readers are leaders. There is still some time left to register and
participate in this great event.  At this late date it is best to call:1 410
659 9314 extension 2312.

Serotek, the innovative text to speech software company has just announced
that it will give a free lifetime gift of its System Access Mobile software
to blind veterans beginning December 15, 2011. This is quite a gift since
this would normally cost several hundred dollars! You need to qualify by
submitting proof of blindness and the fact that you are a U.S. Veteran.
Contact Serotek at pr at serotek.com or call 1 612 246 4818 ext. 104

Some of our readers have suggested some good reads(books):

Thunderdog by Michael Hingsen

White Cane, White Coat by Mark Hartman

Unbroken. This is about POW's in Japan in W.W. II.

The next issue of Que Pasa is scheduled for March 1, 2012.  Articles, poems,
announcements, etc. should be submitted no later than February 15, 2012 via
e mail to Jim Babb at jim.babb at samobile.net

This newsletter is distributed via e mail and also is available on NM
Newsline and NFB Newsline.

And finally I'd like to thank my wife Mary who helps me put this newsletter
together.

As of December 31, the Braille Monitor will no longer be distributed on
cassette.  You can request to see it on a USB thumb drive, which will play
on your NLS digital player. Or you can read it on NFB Newsline  in the
magazine section starting today.

President’s Message

By Christine Hall

On a very cold, windy September morning about 40 Federationists, once again,
marched in the State Fair Parade.  Not only were there members from
Albuquerque but also a good contingent from the Alamogordo area and for the
third year in a row, we were awarded a ribbon for being the largest non high
school marching group. Thanks to all who participated in making this public
relations event a success and a special thanks to Roger Velarde for
coordinating the march.

The last Saturday in September, the NFB of New Mexico hosted an Art Academy
for elementary age blind kids and their families.  There were twelve blind
children who participated in the academy.  The children colored in
raised-line coloring books, made beaded key chains, paper magnets, wove pot
holders and got their hands dirty making clay tiles with their names in
Braille. This activity was made possible through a grant from the NFB
Imagination Fund and by a hard working committee chaired by Vickie
Buchignani.  Thanks to Vickie, Gail Wagner, Candy Hall, Caroline Benavidez
and Amanda Youngblood for all of the hours they put in to making the academy
a big success. Thanks also goes out to the young adults who came to the
academy to mentor the students and assist in whatever way they could.

On the first of October, a Bon Appetite state fund raiser hosted by ShaRon
Dandy and yours truly was held at my home.  The event was well attended and
we raised $421 for the state affiliate while those present enjoyed delicious
finger food, wine and non alcoholic beverages and good conversation.

There were activities in both the Southern part of the state and Albuquerque
during Meet the Blind Month in October. The White Sands Chapter in
Alamogordo hosted a benefit awareness concert with Larry Lorenzo as the MC.
It was an evening of family fun and entertainment, and I was sorry I could
not be there to enjoy the event. Another happening in Alamogordo during the
month was the White Cane Awareness Walk led by the NM School for the Blind
and Visually Impaired.  Those walking included NMSBVI students, NM
Commission for the Blind Orientation Center students and members of the
White Sands Chapter.

In Albuquerque blindness awareness presentations were given at elementary
schools, the Girl Scouts, the University of New Mexico Disability Awareness
Day and a disability awareness event at the US Forestry Department. Some
NFBNM members also went to public libraries in Albuquerque and read to
children during the story telling hour.  The members were reading from a
Braille book demonstrating to the children how blind people read.

A White Cane Banquet was held on Saturday, October 15 celebrating White Cane
Safety Day.  The event was sponsored by the Albuquerque and West Mesa
Chapters.  There were approximately 70 people in attendance. Vickie
Buchignani was the keynote speaker. The essay contest on “What My White Cane
Means to Me” was open to both children and adults this year. The winning
essays were read and prizes given to the winners.

The White Cane Safety Day Proclamation was also read during the banquet.

On November 1, the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest for children and
adults began.  Adult members from both the West Mesa and Albuquerque
chapters are participating in the contest. I will report to you about the
results of our efforts in my next president’s message.

Happy Holidays!

Christine

State Fair Parade

By Art Schreiber

Winter came before Fall on the Saturday we participated in the NM State Fair
parade.  However, the NFB of NM received a First Place Blue Ribbon.  43
participants braved the chilly temperatures and the brisk wind to make, what
I consider, a "forced march"!!  I remember those kind of marches from my
Army days.  Thanks to Roger Valardi and his brother-in-law, Jesus Galarza
for getting most of us to the end of the parade route.  Adelmo Vigil, 2nd VP
of the NFBNM and Director of the Orientation Center in Alamogordo brought 13
other individuals, including students.  Once again the 43 marchers received
cheers and loud applause from the several thousand spectators who lined the
parade route.  Even though October is Meet the Blind month we in New Mexico
get a head start by participating in a most important event which receives
tremendous recognition each year.  Thanks Roger and all who made this year's
event possible.

Schreiber Escapes Coming in Last

Another Duke City Marathon and its many events is in the record book.

I, for the second year, entered and finished the 20 K walk.  Last year the
walk was a half marathon, which is somewhat farther than a 20 K.

Last year I finished 209 out of 209 entrants, but was first in my age group
because no one else was in my age group.  My time last year was 5 hours and
57 seconds.  This year my time was 4 hours  five minutes and 14 seconds.
Race officials this year eliminated walkers being forced to walk on the dirt
path adjacent to the bike path North of Central Avenue.  This year walkers
were routed South on the bike path through the bosque and for us 20 K'ers we
turned around at Rio Bravo.  This year, in addition to my friend Rick Walsh
guiding me I had another friend, Janet Trujillo joined me.  Janet is a
physical therapist at La Vida Llena, where I live.  I told her she would
make a great prison guard who yielded a large whip!  Janet kept calling out,
"Art, you're slowing down.  Pick it up."  During the final mile, my nearly
84 year old knees were screaming and telling me to quit.  Janet and Rick
kept urging me on to the finish line.  Next year I hope a few NFB'rs will
join me and my goal is to get under 4 hours.

Final stats:  150 individuals finished the walk and I was 141.  This year a
30 year old woman came in last.  One individual was 40 plus me at 83.  Come
on, get your parents and grandparents to join me next year.

Governor Cargo's bust unveiled and placed in Capitol Rotunda

By Art Schreiber

Some two hundred friends of former NM Governor David Cargo gathered in the
Capitol Rotunda last June to honor the popular former Governor.  The event
was the unveiling of the Governor's bust.  Governor Cargo is the only former
Governor to have his sculptured bust placed in the Capitol.

The sculptor, Storm Townsend, was present for the ceremony and she addressed
the gathering, as did Governor Suzanna Martinez and Lt. Governor, John
Sanchez.  In addition, other dignitaries, all friends of the Governor Cargo,
spoke and told their favorite stories.

The event was climaxed with Governor Cargo's excellent comments and stories.
The hi-lite was the Governor telling how, when he took office, employees of
the Roundhouse were paid less than minimum wages and received no benefits
and worked as much as 60 hours per week.  He immediately signed an executive
order upping the employees wages to minimum or above, with benefits
including vacations and placed them on a 40 hour work schedule.  He quipped,
"If they weren't Republicans I wanted them to live like a Republican."

Governor Cargo acknowledged the National Federation of the Blind.  He did
not make reference to the fact he signed the first White Cane law in the
United States into law.

Greg Trapp and I were in attendance.

PS:  Since the event, it has been reported Governor Cargo suffered a stroke.
There has been no medical reports regarding his condition and the news media
has not been able to find the Governor's condition.  The Governor's address
is 4062 Concordia NE in Albuquerque.

2011White Cane Celebration

By Jim Babb and Gail Wagner

The 2011 White cane celebration for the Albuquerque and West Mesa Chapters
of the New Mexico National Federation of the Blind was held at the Sunset
Grille and Bar on October 15.  Some very good and tasty barbeque was catered
by Powdrell's.

Many thanks to Tara Chavez and Veronica Smith and their team for all the
arrangements that made this a success.  Also thanks to Brianne Kotswartz and
Josh Brownell for getting all those great door prizes!

Thanks to Gail Wagner and her team for soliciting and evaluating the White
Cane essays. Gail recognized Ruth Cerutti who is the new Principal at Zia
Elementary School and thanked her for attending and learning about the NFB.
She also recognized Caroline Benevidez, and Sharon Dandy, two of the
teachers at Zia, and Urja Lansing, who had Ruth as her guest at event, and
is an educational assistant at Zia. The number of blind students at Zia
School has more than tripled in size from 5 to 18 since the program opened
in 1984.

Tara Chavez read for us the White Cane Proclamation issued by Governor
Suzanna Martinez. Dion Valdez gave a heartfelt invocation before we all
enjoyed our meal.

Vicki Buchananni was the featured speaker and did a great job in outlining
the history of the White cane in America. Orientation and Mobility training
started after World War 2, primarily because of the need of many blinded
veterans from that War. She gave many experiences of her own as a student of
O and M and later as an instructor. Many of her instruction examples were
both poignant and entertaining. She touched on the white cane law in New
Mexico and how it was the first State in the Union to pass Dr. Tenbrook's
model White Cane Law.

This year, the White Cane essay contest was open to both children and
adults. This year the essay was to be on the funniest thing that happened on
an Orientation and Mobility lesson or the most challenging thing that
happened in cane travel. Gail Wagner announced the winners of the White Cane
essay and read each of the winning entries.

Children winners were:  Donavan Rodrigez, Ameyalli Sapian, and Aracelli
Coral. Each will receive a gift certificate to Nation Braille Press.

The adult winners were Rosie Garcia and Pat Munson and they will receive a
gift certificate to the NFB Independence Market.

 Thanks to Susan Martinez, our POBC President, for being mistress of
ceremonies; a job well done.

White Cane Day in Albuquerque, NM

By Veronica Smith

On Saturday, October 15, I celebrated the White Cane with 70 of my closest
friends.  We had a buffet line where you could fine BBQ chicken and beef
along with 4 different sides, spud salad, cole slaw, mac 'n cheese  and
baked beans and of course, yummy rolls  from an old time BBQ house here in
Albuquerque- Powdrells.  For dessert we had peach and cherry cobblers. The
event was held at a place called the sunset Grille and Bar which has been in
Albuquerque for many many years; owned by the Perea family.

Our guest speaker was Vickie Buchignani an O 'n M instructor.  Listening to
her brought back many memories of my own trials and tribulations of learning
the ropes of being blind.

each year we have an essay contest for kiddos K through 12th grade, we read
and select the best entries and give prizes pertaining to Braille.  This
year we included adults in this contest.  We enjoyed listening to the essays
written by the winners.

We gave out wonderful door prizes and at the end of the event drew for a

50/50 raffle and a pumpkin filled with chocolate.

The "Model White Cane Law" was written by Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, a
distinguished professor of law and the first President of the National
Federation of the Blind; Governor David Cargo signed the White Cane Law in
1967, making New Mexico

the first state in the nation to adopt the Model White Cane Law.   The White

Cane law declares that It is the policy of the State to encourage and enable
persons who are blind, visually impaired, or who have a disability to
participate fully in the social and economic life of the State and to engage
in remunerative employment;  the White Cane Law gives persons who are blind,
visually impaired, or who have a disability the same right as all citizens
to the full and free use of the streets, highways, sidewalks and other
public places; the White Cane Law includes persons who use guide dogs,
giving such persons the same right to safe and functional use of public
facilities, places of public accommodation, and other places to which the
public is invited.

Wedding Bells

By Tonia Trapp

On Saturday October 1 at 1:00 PM, Jessica Victoria Antonia Bachicha married
Jason Anthony Paul Ewell at the Church of the Incarnation in Rio Rancho, New
Mexico. This is a beautiful Catholic church with marble floors. The Maid of
Honor was Jessica’s sister Marissa Easter, and the Best Man was Justin
Ewell. There were 6 groomsmen and 6 bridesmaids.

The wedding was preceded by organ music accompanied by two sopranos singing
hymns in operatic style. Jessica was stunning in her floor-length, strapless
dress with shear lace jacket and long train. Jessica walked up the aisle to
the tune of Te DeuM” a prelude by Marc-Antoine Charpentier performed by the
organist and a trumpet-player. The mass continued with the opening hymn
“Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” followed by “Kyrie” sung a capella by a
small group of singers who performed various sacred pieces of music
throughout the ceremony. Soprano singer Andrea Gabrieli also performed
sacred music throughout the ceremony, including “Gloria.”

The first reading was from Songs of Songs 2:8-10, 14, 16a and 8:6-7a. The
second reading was from Revelation 19:1, 5-9a in Spanish, which ends with,
“Blessed are those who have been called to the wedding feast of the Lamb.”
The Homily was given by Father Rick Zerwas. Holy Communion was offered as
part of the nuptial mass.

This was a beautiful ceremony, and I wish the happy couple many blessings
and a lifetime of love and joy together.

White Cane Essay Contest

Rosie Garcia

Hello. I am Rosie Garcia and I had a funny experience while I was on an O&M
lesson in 1999 through the NM Commission for the Blind here in Albuquerque,
with my instructor by the name of Michael St. Julian. He sent me on a route
to go around the neighborhood of the Commission. I followed his instructions
and got lost in the meantime. I was supposed to come back to the Commission
but went into someone's garage. The reason why I did that was because I
heard a dog barking and it frightened me. I didn't know if the dog was
outside of the fence or tied up in the back yard. But his bark scared me so
bad that I went into the open garage and almost went into her house for
safety. But the lady said to me, “if you go into my house, I'll call the
police on you.” So I left. When I went back to the Commission, I shared my
experience with the group of people who were waiting for me to come back and
they had a laugh. I didn't think it was funny at the time, but now I think
it's funny.

NFB Philosophy, a White Cane and a Determined old “Street Dog”

By Pat Munson

I yanked myself out of my chair and marched to the door. I grabbed my long
white cane and opened that stupid door. At that moment I hated all my
friends because they had one by one told me that they were not going to drag
me around one more time. They had seen other blind students on our college
campus getting around just fine with a cane, and they said I could do the
same.

But, the same friends had not met all my pals from the school for the blind.
They constantly made fun of blind persons who used a cane. They shuffled
around as best they could but thought they were really cool without that
dumb long white cane, which just told all the world that the user was blind.
They had gained their spectacularly sad attitudes from their teachers and
others at the school, and I did too.

Everything was against me on that fateful day; no one was there to help me
cross four streets and board the first of three buses which would get me to
the school where I was to student teach. Even the weather was at its worst.
I did not even have the door open all the way before the wind grabbed that
cane and almost whipped it out of my hand.  The door slammed behind me and
so did part of my negative attitudes about blindness.

At the door I had made up my mind that I was going to make this trip by
myself or die trying. My career as a teacher would not exist if I did not
have the guts to get to that school and act like a competent blind adult!

By the time that first bus arrived, my dress, shoes, long hair and makeup
were ruined from the wind and rain, but what did it matter, my body was
still intact and that wonderful, long white cane was doing what my friends
used to do for me; it provided me with my tool for independence.

I remember finally climbing up those school steps and thinking that I had
made it. I looked as if I had just climbed out of the shower, but my goal
was to meet the faculty and my master teachers.

I took off my dripping coat in the office and hung it up. I rang out my long
soggy hair and entered the faculty meeting. Later the teachers told me that
they had never seen anyone with such a determined look on her face. They did
not know about the NFB.

I did complete that student teaching and got a job, but only because of the
work of many in the National Federation of the Blind.

Until a few years earlier, those in charge of teacher credentials said
normal vision was required to teach in the public schools in the United
States. NFB members knew this was simply wrong.

Many, many members of NFB introduced legislation in every state eliminating
the vision requirement; this took years.

I was one of the first to take up that white cane and march by myself into a
job in competitive employment in the public schools in the USA.

As a member of the National Federation of the Blind I gained a job,
blindness skills and the philosophy to lead a normal life in the mainstream
of society.  Sometimes it is not easy to be a Federationist when sighted
folks endlessly try to think they know what is best for us, but I love being
a part of the mainstream so I do what I must to change people’s attitudes
about what it really means to be blind! I’m like a very determined old
“street dog”, but I have an NFB smile on my face! As Dr. Jernigan said many
times, “We know who we are and we will never go back.” Now I wish I could
thank all those NFB “street dogs” who helped me be what I have been and am!

POETRY

TOPIC: NFB writing entry re.:  Humerous Mobility Situation

I had a blind instructor, of Orientation and mobility.

He had just one direction, in which you also had to be.

Never mind your circumstance, or need to journey wide.

I played along a little while and tried my smile to hide.

He didn’t use a cane, a stick, a guide dog or other aid.

All of which, I have been told, Are substitutes for eyes.

He says this to me: “Place the handle of your kane in front of your chin.”

I bet he said it with a goofy grin.

The first cracked concrete patch,

Would make the kane kick-back.

If this is mobility humor, I  think it’s rather sick.

Reckless endangerment in my mind seems to want to stick.

There’s a bright side to this fractured tale,

He navigates himself right into a hole.

A missing  man-hole cover, no kane, well you can guess.

He ends up in a quandary and also quite a mess.

You say there’s no humor in blindness?

Perhaps this changed your mind?

I know I find humor here,

Every time I let my thoughts rewind.

Richard Derganc, September 2011

COFFEE ON THE MED

By Nancy Burns

My heart was doing the happy dance as we packed and prepared to fly to
Barcelona, Spain which would be the first stop in our dream vacation.  We
stayed three days in Barcelona; tasted tapas, sea food, and sampled Cava, a
Spanish champagne.  We also strolled down Las Ramblas purchasing souvenirs
and stopping for a cold drink and more tapas.  On the third day in
Barcelona, after taking several tours, we sailed into the Mediterranean.
Many exciting ports and adventures were soon to be experienced.

The huge cruise ship sailed past a lighthouse on the port side and glided
into one of the most beautiful ports of our extensive cruise.  Kotor
Montenegro was a mix of modern and ancient buildings.  The backdrop of Kotor
was steep and tree-laden mountains.  Don and I left the ship and walked
toward the city.  The main business section was in an ancient castle,
complete with drawbridge and moat.  After making some purchases, we stopped
in a café for lunch.  The menu seemed to be mostly pizza and sandwiches so
we chose a pizza, not real sure as to what exactly we would have.  I opted
for lemonade which was warm and quite tart.  After asking for ice, a chilled
glass was as good as it got.  The pizza turned out to be pepperoni and quite
tasty.  In typical Medieval style, Kotor’s narrow streets and squares were
planned with dual purpose; aesthetic beauty and an attempt to thwart
possible invaders.

Each day we docked in a new location which provided us with another chapter
in our fairytale cruise. Initially, we were concerned that 21 days at sea
might be a bit longer than we wanted.  It proved to be just right.  It was
quite long but not too long. Residing on a cruise ship for three weeks is
exciting enough, but to throw in 16 cities in 7 different countries was just
the frosting on the vacation cake.

The weather was warm and quite humid.  The Mediterranean was calm throughout
the trip.  While at sea we enjoyed ship-board activities and mixing and
mingling with other passengers.  During one of the first evening meals, we
had the good fortune to sit across the table from a delightful couple who we
soon considered as friends.  We hung out with Ben and Marilou and went on
some of the same group tours.  A nightly ritual for Don and me is to stand
at the fantail and listen to the powerful movement of the ocean beneath.
Ben and Marilou would often find us at our favorite spot where we would stop
and discuss the day’s events or make plans for the following day.

One of the organized tours was the unforgettable trip to Pompeii.  This was
the most awesome and the most challenging tour of them all.  We were advised
that we would be walking on cobblestones which we felt was of no
consequence.  The streets of Pompeii are definitely not cobblestones.  We
stepped from boulder to boulder, stepping up sizable steps and dropping down
from ledges.  The term (cobbleboulders) was coined.   Our cane skills were
tested to the max.

We were surrounded by historical tragedies.  Mt. Vesuvius threw molten lava
on the city for two days and two nights in 79AD.  Much of this hardened lava
has been chipped away revealing homes, stores, and other buildings.

Our tour guide for this trip was knowledgeable and he shared a wealth of
information.  At the end of the tour he provided us with some of his
philosophy saying that he enjoyed drinking his  morning coffee while looking
out into the ocean.  He told us “It is important to enjoy life to the
fullest.   Don and I couldn’t agree more.

Civitavecchia was the port in which we docked in order to get to Rome, which
was amazing.  During the hour and a half drive to Rome we passed many olive
groves, vineyards, fruit trees and vegetable gardens, reminiscent of the
Southern California vineyards.  Our first stop after reaching Rome was the
iconic Trevi Fountain where we did the traditional coin toss.  I was so
looking forward to entering the Sistin Chapel and was honored to do so.  My
disappointment was because of the crush of people who shared my desire to
visit the Chapel.  We were also in awe of the magnificence of the Parthenon
and the breath-taking view of the Coliseum.

Ancient ruins, a blend of colorful cultures and languages greeted us at
every port.  Valetta, Malta provided us with a page of history in the
making.  We had observed a number of military planes flying overhead and
learned that they were NATO bombers refueling in Malta on the way to the
Liberian conflict. The ports in Greece presented another blend of beauty
along with a look into incredible historical significance.  Katakolon was
the port stop for Olympia  the location of the Doric-style Temple of Zeus
built in 472 BC.  Near the temple of Zeus is the stadium which seated 40,000
spectators.  The first Olympic games were held in 776 BC.

Several more ports in Italy were explored; each with an abundance of beauty
and history.  Our final port was Marseille, France.  As anticipated, the
food was wonderful and the people were friendly and helpful in spite of the
language barrier.  As the ship steamed toward Barcelona, and the end of our
fantastic cruise, we reminisced about ancient churches, castles, statues,
and that well-known Leaning Tower, we knew we had only touched the surface
but realized that we had a glimpse of that part of the world we would never
forget.  We repacked but this time with dirty clothes, souvenirs, olive oil
and limoncello.  We then met Ben and Marilou on the Lido Deck for that final
cup of coffee before the long flight to Albuquerque. We also brought home
with us a treasure trove of happy memories and the contact information   for
some new friends.  This was our 8th cruise and one of the most
unforgettable.

Lawrence Muzzy Marcellino a Fantastic NFB Mentor

by Pat Munson

Note: Muzzy studied under Dr. Perry the blind professor of math and advanced
studies at the California School for the Blind (CSB). Dr. tenBroek was a
contemporary of Muzzy’s. CSB was where the National Federation of the Blind
was conceived.

One of the speakers at the 2011 NFB convention mentioned Muzzy and his work,
he was always working for the Federation and helping blind persons live its
philosophy.

I first met Muzzy at the 1971 NFB convention. Everywhere I went, I
encountered Muzzy. He was quietly assisting a blind person to get somewhere
or to help with a meeting. Dr. tenBroek had died three years prior to my
meeting Muzzy. Muzzy was filling in the gaps, but I did not understand that
at that time.

I then did not see Muz for some time, my loss, but I did not think I needed
too much help! You know how young folks are be they blind or sighted, they
know everything
or so they think!

In the late 1970’s Muz called me and asked me to take over the editing of a
newsletter. I argued that I knew nothing about writing and editing. I was
simply an English teacher.

He acted as if he had not heard a word I said. He said he would pick me up
at my job and that we would take the bus to the Berkeley hills where Mrs.
tenBroek would teach me all I needed to know. You did not tell Muzzy no so I
followed him from the bus stop up the hill and up a million stairs and up
some more to reach the tenBroek home. We were up in the steep hills where
stairs were used for sidewalks in places because the terrain was too steep.
I figured if he could travel this place I could do it in my high heels, but
I was very nervous I would fall off something. He kept telling me to use
that white cane and boy did I!

I remember sitting next to Mrs. tenBroek while she slammed my writing, but
gave me endless suggestions. I think we stayed for dinner, Mrs. T. was
always feeding anyone who came through her door which added to an exciting
work session.

At some point Muz said I needed to meet him in San Francisco. I simply
followed him around. We went to an office-like space he had been given by a
California state legislator in his office. The secretary acted as if Muz was
a part of the office personnel. The secretary brought him coffee, which she
did for everyone, and said his typewriter had been repaired. The staff
greeted him with great respect. I was shocked with the respect he was shown.

We then proceeded to his place of employment, at that time he was selling
insurance. When he opened the door to enter everyone stopped working and
greeted him with great affection. I sat while he carried out some business,
but again I was in shock at this blind man’s being treated as if he were a
king.

Finally we proceeded to a restaurant where my husband joined us for dinner.
Again, the staff welcomed him with great respect, showed us to the best
table and told Muz the freshest items on the menu. Later I told my husband
that I had never met such an interesting person. Blindness had nothing to do
with it, but it did.

Muz always dressed in his beautiful three-piece suit with a crisp white
shirt, perfectly polished shoes, and carried his briefcase and his long
white cane. We were out doing NFB business so we dressed in business attire.

Another time I followed him as he did his work at the California state
capital. We would be walking down a hall when a legislator would spy Muz
passing the door. The legislator would stop what he was doing and call to
Muz. The legislator would ask Muz what he could do to further the work of
the Federation. Again, I was in shock. But, I did not know about those many
years Muz and other NFB members had worked those halls to better the lot of
the blind which included me.

To me, the most difficult outing I had with him was the following. We met at
a street corner and he announced that after a couple of errands we were
going to eat lunch at a buffet restaurant. I stated that I was not going to
go. I hated buffets. I said I had been to an NFB center and that I had done
that. He simply started walking away from me. What could I do but follow.
One could not argue with Muz, because I knew in my heart that he was right.

We got to the restaurant and he rounded up an employee whom he instructed
how to assist. He took my hand at the first bowl, plate or whatever and had
me run my hand around the outer rim until I found the spoon or whatever. He
had the employee tell what was in each dish then we quickly took the food
using Muz’s method.

At the end of the line we picked up the tray putting our arm under it,
reached our hand around and held our drink so it could not spill. The other
hand used the cane and looked for an empty chair at the same time. We then
sat and ate just like everyone else in the place. Of course, he was testing
my blindness skills.

As we ate we discussed how Dr. Jernigan handled a buffet put on by the
blind. A blind person stood behind the item or items he was serving and told
the person going through the line what he had to offer. since the server
knew where the tray was it was easy for the server to put the food on the
plate, but if it was finger food the eater could easily find the food to
take. It all sounded simple, but Dr. Jernigan and his students had been
perfecting these techniques for years.

Another time we were working in San Francisco. We were on a crowded city
bus. The driver was not happy by the sound of his voice, but when Muz yelled
in his stentorian, polite voice from the back of the bus that he wanted to
know the name of the next street, the driver very politely told him. Later
the driver stopped the bus at Muz’s stop and patiently gave Muz directions
to Muz’s questions. My jaw dropped. I was sure that driver would have yelled
at me and that would have been that.

I later learned that a couple of decades earlier when he was a rehab
counselor, he would give cash to his blind clients out of his pocket. He
would simply state that he remembered when he was a poor student and that
was that.

Muz and his wife owned a three-story home. The garage was at street level
with his flat on the second floor; the top floor apartment was rented; He
said the rent paid for upkeep and taxes.

He handled all the upkeep needs of the building, and he also did all the
food shopping. He took his shopping cart which he pulled behind him, his
Braille shopping list and his cane and off he went. Of course he could only
buy what would fit in his cart, so he shopped often. Rain or shine he was
walking the streets to the store with his white cane always leading the way.

Of course he knew all the folks in the neighborhood and would stop many
times to chat. Taxi drivers would see him and would honk and stop to chat
also. I think he knew everyone in San Francisco because he was always out
and about.

There were many subjects which interested Muz. One was the planting, pruning
and all other care of roses. I told him I was interested in growing roses.
He gave me detailed instructions on the purchase of roses, digging the holes
and all the products to nourish the soil. When I had everything ready, I
called him. Shortly thereafter he showed up at my door with a suitcase in
hand.

Inside were his work clothes which he quickly changed to. Then it was out to
the future rose garden where we planted and watered those rose roots. I got
stabbed and jabbed but he said I would learn to be more cautious. He was
right again.

He showed up the following fall when it was time to prune. Again, I caught
my fingers in those thorns, but I was reminded how much I had loved the
beautiful blooms. Speaking of those flowers, Muz was a judge for the San
Francisco Rose Society. I wonder if there was anything he could not do!

Muzzy taught many blind persons that it is respectable to be blind. He
carried his cane with pride and educated everyone who met him. What a mentor
he was! The blind who worked with him learned more than they could ever
learn from a book. He opened countless doors for many, many blind and showed
us how to change what it means to be blind. What a gift he was to the blind
of this nation.

He said that a blind person can learn from reading and watching TV, but that
there is a great big world out there with many open doors to opportunity. He
stated that we needed to pick up that cane and go out and expand our
knowledge in the world. NFB members had made it possible for the blind to
live normal lives in the main stream of society, but that each of us had to
choose our path! He was living proof that it was possible!

Useful Websites

missingmoney.com

unclaimed.org

www.evernote.com  You put your passwords on it and you leave the master
password with your attorney.

www.betterbidding.com  Helps you understand the bidding on hotwire.com which
you use to bid on hotels rental cars etc.

www.biddingfortravel.com  Helps you do a better(lower price) on
priceline.com

866 727 4894 This will get you to the switchboard to contact your member of
congress.

866 322 8228  Call this number for your official free credit report in
accessible format, braille or large print. You will specify Experion, Trans
Union or Equifax.

www.newlifestyles.com To find a retirement or assisted living community

www.airfarewatchdog.com Another website to look for great airfare specials.

www.agingwithdignity.com  Five steps for living well in older age.

www.cheapcarrentalsvroomvroomvroom.com Cheap car rentals site.

www.berncoview.com Transparent website for Bernalillo County.

www.irs.gov/charities  Then click on search for charities. See if your
charity if officially legitimate.

www.polst.org  Lets you know/see the forms that you use in your last year of
life.

www.google.com/hotelfinder  Get discount prices on hotel bookings.

GOOD EATING

Submitted by Christine Hall

NFB of Albuquerque member Since 1998

Appetizer Tortilla Pinwheels Recipe

16 Servings

Prep: 20 min. + chilling

20 20

Ingredients

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (softened or cubed), softened

1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives

1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, well drained

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup chopped green onions

Garlic powder to taste

Seasoned salt to taste

5 flour tortillas (10 inches), room temperature

Fresh parsley for garnish

Salsa

Directions. In a large bowl, beat the first eight ingredients until blended.
Spread over the tortillas; roll up tightly. Wrap each with plastic wrap,
twisting ends; refrigerate for several hours.

Unwrap; cut into 1/2-in. to 3/4-in. slices. (An electric knife works best.)
Discard ends. Garnish with parsley. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield:
about 4 dozen.

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

February 6 through 9, 2012. Washington Seminar

April 13, 14, and 15. NFBNM State Convention, Albuquerque

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website