[Nfb-editors] New Chairperson, Newsletter Publication Committee

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 19:02:36 UTC 2011

Dear Editors Mailing List members

RE: New Newsletter Publication Committee Chairperson, me

Yesterday I received a call from DR. Maurer. He asked if I would be willing
to take over the Chair for the Newsletter Publication committee. And after a
short conversation, I accepted. HURRAY FOR ME! Now --- I admit, I am not an
editor like some people I know who are super at "editing." (I tend to need
editing.) However I am into the power of the written word and the near
worship of "the art of communication," air go publication. Preaching to the
choir now --- changing what it means to be blind is, in a super large part,
all about communication. Communication starts with our membership, from
there we work at getting what we know as the truth of blindness out to the
rest of the world.

Immediately, I want to work on two big goals:

-Goal #1 To make more meaningful use of this list: first for sharing our
work. Second, as a helpful forum to find technical advice and general
support.

*Request #1- From now on I want every newsletter to be posted to this list
for everyone's benefit: first- Each of us will benefit from viewing your
product. Second- In the light of sharing our work, some of us will want to
use an article that you have published (crediting it back to its source).
(We are working together to change what it means to be blind.)

*Request #2- If you are the editor of an affiliate's newsletter, please make
yourself known to me. If you would, post that information to this list ---
I'll grab your information and it will be good for others here to know you
are present. (In the subject line write- "'Your state's name' Newsletter
Editor"

And/or --- if you are the editor of a chapter or national newsletter, please
do the same as above. Let us give a "face-on-it" to what we have on this
list.

*Request #3- What are your thoughts and needs? What can the Newsletter
committee do for you?

-goal #2 To encourage those affiliates who now do not have a newsletter, to
create and maintain one.

Earlier today, I had a message sent out to all affiliate presidents making 3
simple requests: #1 If you have a newsletter, put me in contact with that
editor. #2 If you do not have a newsletter, let's talk about it (implying
assistance in the creation of one). #3 In Orlando, there will be a
Newsletter Publication committee meeting and I need a rep from each state to
be present.

--Enough for now. I am striving for messages to this list to be helpful and
not to promote unnecessary traffic (we are all busy people). As best
practice, make your subject lines specific to your post.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website

 <http://www.nfb-writers-division.org> http://www.nfb-writers-division.org

Chairperson, Newsletter Publication Committee

Personal Website-

 <http://www.thoughtprovoker.info> http://www.thoughtprovoker.info