[Nfb-editors] Donation & Delivery

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 01:52:07 UTC 2011

Mike,

The Braille Monitor is the closest connection members have to the national
organization between Washington Seminar and National Convention.  If you can
accept that it is a central communication vehicle, why not take advantage of
the opportunity to remind subscribers of how their contributions make it
possible for the NFB to offer so many great services, including a free
monthly publication?  An appeal for donation does not have to be prominent
to be effective, and when I reference an e-mail marketing tool, I mean a
tool that helps the organization monitor subscriptions, track forwards and
display the information in an elegant manner that is as visually aesthetic
as it is informative.  People presume marketing is only about fundraising.
If done correctly, it can also be about outreach.  You prefer your education
and appeals to your wallet to be separate, but if that were true, we would
not collect contributions at national events.  The Braille Monitor maintains
the momentum generated at these events, just as affiliates could rely on
their newsletters to maintain the momentum from their state conventions.
Would adding a donation button and brief appeal to a newsletter
automatically turn into high earned income?  Of course not, but if you do
not at least give your membership and general readers the option of giving
you a contribution, you'll always put out more than you ever really take in
from individuals, and the most successful national nonprofits of the size of
the NFB typically count on more than 80% of their funds to come from that
area of fundraising.  Anyway, I'm not aiming to convince you.  I only want
others to recognize the various ways a newsletter can be used to the benefit
of the affiliate.

Regards,

Joe