[Nfb-editors] Blueprint to a basic newsletter

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Mon Feb 21 13:39:57 UTC 2011

As I have listened to newsletter editors through the years, I would say
that, though the barrier to getting a newsletter started may be people's
fear of the size and complexity of the editing job, the largest problem in
producing a publication year after year is recruiting contributors and
getting them to write good articles. I personally do not think twisting arms
to get chapter reports for every issue is worth the trouble. Mostly these
are boring and discouraging. At their worst they are lists of who has died
or is in the hospital. Even when the information is worth knowing, the
reports are usually stretched out and diluted so that again, unless one is
reading about one's local chapter, people lose interest. We have developed a
column called Buckeye Briefs. It is loosely modeled on Monitor Miniatures. I
wish chapter presidents wrote the notices themselves, but mostly they do
not. I watch our affiliate listserv and snag announcements there, and then I
write the notices. This keeps them short enough.

I wish I could offer a failsafe method of acquiring material worthy of
publication. I cannot. Some states have a larger group of capable writers
than others. But the job can be done even so, if the editor is determined.
Karen Mayry, when she was healthy did one of the best state newsletters we
had, and she did it alone. She read every other newsletter, and she
reprinted liberally. She also persuaded the state library director to write
columns for her publication and the state agency director. South Dakota is a
small state, and everyone in state government knew and loved or feared
Karen, but she made her newsletter happen because her elderly affiliate
depended on it, and it went to everybody and his brother in government, and
she told them what to think about blindness, and they believed her.

I would say that the one point that the editor can never forget is that the
newsletter is a house organ and not a neutral publication airing both sides
of every issue. We have a point of view on blindness, and we should publish
what will strengthen our arguments. I am not suggesting that we be unfair,
but I would never print a piece about the national convention, for example,
that complained about the crowds in the elevators and the expense of the
food in the restaurant and never mentioned the speakers and meetings with
excitement.

Most of us editors will have to ghost write for various affiliate leaders.
Our job is to make the people who do write for us look good, so editing to
get rid of grammar and punctuation errors is necessary. Mostly you have to
be thinking of the newsletter all the time. Get people to write you notes if
nothing else about the efforts they undertake. Then you have something to
work with.

That is what comes to mind immediately; hope it helps.

Barbara Pierce