[Nfb-editors] Donation Requests?

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Mon Feb 21 19:00:07 UTC 2011

Bridgit wrote:
"Readers may not want to be sequestered for donations right off the bat--
especially non-members.  Personally, I would leave this section for the
end."

Hello Bridgit, and all,

Respectfully, I can't bring myself to agree with the suggestion of putting
donation requests at the end of a publication.  Or at least, if it's put
there, I believe it should be in addition to elsewhere in the publication.
Personally, I like the idea of even moving it around between a few spots,
issue to issue.  Such as always between a couple of the articles or
sections, but readers won't necessarily know which ones until they read
through it.  That way they can't willingly skip it simply because they know
it's always right there.  I do like the idea of having such a request
immediately after a valuable, helpful article. Give value, then ask the
reader for help to be able to continue giving value, y'know? ;-)

Personally, I don't mind the instance where the Monitor, for example, asks
for donations in the first pages of each issue.  I tend to think that people
that may get so easily offended by such a thing would not be the ones
donating anyway. But that's personal opinion, not fact.  A related fact,
however, is: "You can't make everyone happy all the time."

It seems much easier to make some people grumble seemingly all the time,
though -- ever notice that?  It's a silly world, indeed.  ;-)

Strive On!
Everett
NFB of Greater Summit County (Northeast Ohio)