[Nfb-editors] {Spam?} New Jersey "the Sounding Board, " Spring 2011

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 10:36:13 UTC 2011

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Spring 2011

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgins, Co-editor

Published in print, by e-mail, on the Web, through Newsline and AudioVision
by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

 <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail: nfbnj at yahoo.com

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests,

letters to the Editor and articles for The Sounding Board should be sent to
the

State Affiliate Office or e-mailed to  <mailto:specialk38 at aol.com>
specialk38 at aol.com. The editorial staff reserves the right to edit all
articles for space and/or clarity considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Fall issue is October 1, 2011.

Sounding Board subscriptions cost the Federation about six dollars per year.
Members are invited and non-members are requested to cover the subscription
cost.  Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

The Sounding Board has been printed by Budget Print of Bloomfield, NJ.

A grant from the Fund for New Jersey Blind assists in our production costs.

To subscribe via Newsline, please contact Bill Dougherty at 800-792-8322.

If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the
Blind

of New Jersey in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:

“I give, devise and bequeath unto the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, a non-profit
corporation,

the sum of $__ (or “__ percent of my net estate” or “The following stocks
and bonds: __”) to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons.”

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo
4

Legislative News, by Lynn Reynolds
6

Budget Crisis 2011: Commission Cuts 30% of Teaching Staff, by Carol
Castellano                                                     7

Legislative Testimony, by Linda Halm
9

>From a 1914 State Budget Hearing, contributed by Pam Gaston
10

Holiday Season Wrap-Up, by Suzanne Woolbert
13

My Massage School Experience, by Rania Ismail
14

NJ Transit Offers New Alert System
15

The Faith Healer Cometh, by Barry Brindisi
16

Looking Good Without Looking Now on ThruOurEyes, by Linda Zani Thomas
18

I Saw a Blind Person Driving! by Evelyn Valdez
20

My “Outstanding Student” Experience, by Hamlet Diaz
20

NFB Newsline Now Offers Job Listings
21

The TBBC is Coming to a Library Near You, by Anne McArthur
22

Covering the Bases set for July 29, by Pam Gaston
22

>From the Kitchen of Jerilyn Higgins
23

NFBNJ Chapter News
25

NFBNJ Programs, Associations & Divisions News
27

NFBNJ Contact Info
28

MISSION STATEMENT

     The National Federation of the Blind is an organization where the blind
and interested sighted persons can come together to plan and carry out
programs to improve the quality of life of the blind; to provide a means of
collective action for parents of blind children; to promote the vocational,
cultural and social advancement of the blind; to achieve the integration of
the blind into society on a basis of equality with the sighted; and to take
action which will improve the overall condition and standard of living of
the blind.  The Federation works toward the removal of legal, economic and
social barriers to full participation by blind people in all aspects of
community life.

     The National Federation of the Blind is an organization of the blind
speaking for themselves.

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND PLEDGE

     I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for
the blind; to support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

Greetings fellow Federationists!

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey continues to grow and
evolve, with more people than ever involved and benefiting from our
activities not only  here in New Jersey but also across the country. At
present, we’re a conglomeration of eight chapters, seven divisions, and nine
programs and projects. Congratulations to the members of the At-Large
Chapter for reaching two years of changing what it means to be blind. Our
monthly conference calls have assisted our members in their personal growth
as individuals, which, in turn, has added to the development of our State
Affiliate and our national organization.  At-Large Chapter members will be
assisting in the establishment of a chapter in the Atlantic County area and
in setting up and chairing a statewide Senior Committee. In addition, the
Ocean County Chapter has a new president, Michael Halm. Many thanks to Mary
Dockery and her husband Tom for their interest in building and maintaining
this chapter for so many years.

One of our programs, ThruOurEyes.org, is the beneficiary of an Imagination
Fund grant that was awarded to our State Affiliate and the Northeast
Chapter. ThruOurEyes is our Internet radio broadcast under the nimble
direction of the multi-talented Lenny Azzarone. In this issue of The
Sounding Board, Lenny announces new ways to watch and listen to our shows.
Please take notice of this article and join us on ThruOurEyes.org. In
addition, the State Affiliate and the students’ division received grants to
conduct seminars on leadership and membership building. The State
Affiliate’s program will be held in Baltimore in early September, and the
students’ activity will be conducted in May in Northern New Jersey. Contact
Evelyn Valdez at tweetybaby19 at comcast.net for additional information on the
students’ activity. Look for more information pertaining to all our
chapters, divisions, programs and projects starting on page 24 of this
issue. And, with so much happening, I hope everyone is regularly visiting
the national and state websites – www.nfb.org and www.nfbnj.org – for even
more information pertaining to our goal of changing what it means to be
blind. Please be sure to visit www.raceforindependence.org
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/>  to see how you can make a difference.
We all need to support this effort.

In this issue of The Sounding Board, you’ll witness the determination, drive
and desire from our members as they work to achieve their goals in
education, employment and changing what it means to be blind. Please pay
special attention to the articles written by Linda Halm and Carol Castellano
that highlight the cuts proposed to the education of our kids. For
additional information, please contact Carol at 973-377-0976 or by e-mail at
blindchildren at verizon.net. We need your involvement to make a difference!

The National Convention will be held in Orlando at the Rosen Shingle Creek
Hotel (phone 866-966-6338) Sunday, July 3 through the evening of Friday,
July 8.  I urge all of you to make the effort to attend this largest
gathering of blind persons in the country. Please visit www.nfb.org
<http://www.nfb.org/>  for convention details and much more.

A special thanks to Beatrice Oliveti, our state secretary, for her
assistance in forwarding information to all on our e-mail lists. To stay in
the know, please send your contact information to Bea at
Beatrice.Oliveti at gmail.com and in the subject line, please write “Add to
NFBNJ E-mail List.”

 On a special note: my wife Judy and I attended the wedding of our son Jim
as he married Kelly Sloan on Sunday, March 27 in Long Island.  It was a
great ceremony and they thank you all for your good wishes.

Important Dates

·         May 22: New Jersey Association of Blind Students will host a
hands-on workshop. Contact Evelyn Valdez at tweetybaby19 at comcast.net or
Shafeka Hashash at shahas at bergen.org

·         July 3 – 8, 2011: National Convention, Orlando, Florida

·         July 17 – July  23: Youth SLAM, Baltimore

·         August 15: Getting ready for the State Convention! Get your ideas
for agenda items in before this date.

·                   September 9 – 11: NFBNJ Leadership/membership building
seminar, Baltimore

·         October 1: Deadline for the fall issue of The Sounding Board.
Submit your articles to Kathy Gabry at specialk38 at aol.com or Jerilyn Higgins
at jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

·         October: Meet the Blind Month activities conducted by our members
at sites throughout the state

·         November 11 – 13: NFBNJ’s 35th th annual State Convention in
Clark, at the Crowne Plaza. The theme is “Making a Difference.”  Parents of
Blind Children will celebrate its 20th anniversary and will be highlighted.

As we move forward in the mission of our organization, please keep in mind
these ten words, each with two letters: “If it is to be, it is up to me.”
Don’t wait for someone else to make a difference. Get involved!

Sincerely,

Joseph Ruffalo, President

LEGISLATIVE NEWS

By Lynn Reynolds, Legislative Coordinator

The Washington Seminar was held January 31 – February 4, 2011.  Over 20
members of the New Jersey delegation, including six LEAD students and their
mentors, made the trip to Washington. There were three issues brought up for
discussion with our congressional representatives.  Here is a brief overview
of each issue:

Issue 1: The Technology Bill of Rights for the Blind

Purpose:  To mandate that consumer electronics, home appliances, kiosks and
electronic office technology provide user interfaces and software that are
accessible through nonvisual means.

Issue 2:  Ensuring Equal Education for Blind Children

Purpose:  To establish a commission within the Department of Education to
set uniform national standards for the education of blind students in grades
K–12.

Issue 3: Americans with Disabilities Business Opportunity Act

Purpose:  To unleash the entrepreneurial capacity of Americans with
disabilities in order to reduce the staggering unemployment rate among these
individuals and welcome them into the mainstream of American business.

At the time of this writing, the Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired has proposed cutbacks that drastically affect the education unit
which will, in turn, impact Braille instruction for children in our state.
Carol Castellano is working very hard along with other parents to ensure
that this will not occur. Please be sure to read her article starting on the

As you may be aware, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act was signed into
law on January 4, 2011.  We do make a difference! Thank you to all of you
who continue to make calls when action is requested.  To be added to the
Legislative Alert list, please contact me at lhr1827 at optonline.net with your
e-mail information.

BUDGET CRISIS 2011: COMMISSION CUTS 30% OF TEACHING STAFF

By Carol Castellano, President, POBC-NJ

Editor’s Note: A nationally recognized advocate for children who are blind
and their families, Carol is one of the founders of Parents of Blind
Children-New Jersey, and is a past president of the National Organization of
Parents of Blind Children.

Parents of blind and visually impaired children in New Jersey have been
engaged in a major legislative advocacy effort this spring to save our
children’s education services.  Since Feb. 22, when Vito DeSantis, Executive
Director of the NJ Commission for the Blind, announced that the Commission
would be “eliminating the position of 10-month instructor,” and thereby
cutting 20 of its 60 teachers of the blind, we have been sending out alerts,
contacting legislators, testifying at hearings, writing letters to the
editor and talking to reporters.

Unfortunately, after the initial announcement of the cut, all our attempts
to communicate and gain further information and understanding about this
drastic move were rebuffed by the Commission’s executive director.  We were
told that a meeting would be set up and we would receive further information
at that time.  The meeting was indeed set up, but for March 30—a full five
weeks later!

During the five-week information and communication blackout, we managed to
get the information we needed from other sources in order to mount our
advocacy campaign.  Many POBC-NJ parents and students testified at the
Assembly and Senate budget committee hearings across the state, bringing the
issue to the attention of legislators.  Many legislators expressed concern
about the situation after hearing our testimony.  One, however, posted a
press release containing misleading information he says he received from the
Department of Human Services.  One of the claims in this release was that
the cut had been done in consultation with advocates for the blind!  The
testimonies gained us a good deal of press and were powerful enough to raise
our issue to the top of the Department of Human Services list this year.

The March 30 meeting was billed as a “stakeholders” meeting.  However, when
12 of the parents showed up at the Department of Human Services offices in
Trenton to attend, a most unfortunate event took place: incredibly, THEY
WERE NOT ALLOWED IN!  We don’t understand this appallingly disrespectful
behavior toward those with the real stake in the outcome—parents of the
children whose services we fear will be drastically reduced—and hope that at
some point an explanation and apology will be offered.

Joe Ruffalo and I attended the meeting which consisted of mostly service
providers, rather than true stakeholders.  Instead of an open meeting in
which we discussed the cut and its ramifications, as we were initially told,
the meeting was set up to discuss how our organizations could help in this
“reform” effort!  Joe observed that some of the service providers in
attendance were going to “get a piece of the pie.”   When we attempted to
ask our original questions, we were treated as if we were not team players
and not following the rules.  It was a most disappointing and upsetting day
on many counts.

The next event in our legislative effort was to attend the Assembly budget
hearing in early April when the budget committee questioned chief staffers
of the Department of Human Services and the Commission for the Blind.  At
this hearing, the Commission began referring to the cut as “an innovation,”
claiming that somehow having 30% fewer teachers will be more efficient and
will give the children more services, not less.  Assembly Budget Committee
vice-chair Gary Schaer reacted to the Commission’s numbers with skepticism.
In addition, committee chairman Louis Greenwald, who referred to the many
blind students who testified as evidence of the program’s success, asked why
the Commission would be talking about cutting back such a successful
program.

        The next step in our effort will be to attend the Senate budget
committee hearing on May 2, when Senate committee members will question the
department heads.  We will keep you posted regarding dates, events, plans
and information updates through our ongoing e-mail alerts.  A profound thank
you to all who have participated in this effort so far.  We still need your
energy, your passion and your commitment as we continue to communicate with
our legislative offices so that we can save the education of blind children
in our state.

Find out more about this issue online:

“Christie's proposed $1.5M in budget cuts to Commission on (sic) the Blind
spark partisan battle,” April 8, 2011

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/proposed_teacher_cuts_sparks_b.html

“Staff reductions won't affect N.J. students, Commission of the Blind chief
says,” April 7, 2011

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/nj_lawmakers_scoff_at_commissi.html

“N.J. budget proposal would slash jobs of teachers of the blind,” March 9,
2011

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/new_jersey_budget_proposal_sla.html

LEGISLATIVE TESTIMONY

By Linda Halm

Editor’s Note: Linda, longtime first vice president of POBC, sent this
letter to Assemblyman Greenwald.

Members of our organization are deeply troubled by the information that the
Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired will be cutting 1/3rd of its
teachers of the blind and visually impaired.  I have to question why all the
cuts will come from services to kids.

As a parent of a blind son, I have experienced the fears and uncertainty of
what the future would hold for my son.  My child has a degenerative eye
condition and so his vision was often changing for the worse.  What worked
one year, often no longer worked the next year.  The Commission for the
Blind and Visually Impaired was and still is the “expert” that schools and
teachers turn to in order to learn what to do, what to use and what not to
do, to properly educate blind children.  I am using the term blind to
include those students who also are visually impaired and the term TVI for
Teachers of the Visually Impaired.

Even years ago when my son was school age, the heavy caseload of these TVIs
allowed for only limited availability to each student.  These are the people
who would teach a child Braille, not the regular classroom teacher.  These
are the people who instruct the classroom teacher as to glare and lighting
problems, suggestions for safe science labs and many other situations that
may occur during the normal school day for any student.  These services are
core services and our children cannot be successful without them.

It is unacceptable that blind students should get less than basic
accommodations in order to be able to learn.  We are now being told that
this will be done with 20 less TVIs, some with over 20 years of experience
teaching Braille and blind children.   It’s just not possible.  Students and
schools will be deprived of the services necessary to educate the blind
children of NJ.  This will affect those who are most vulnerable and who are
too young to have any say in the matter.

Of the 600 students directly affected, 63 are Braille learners, 21 are
babies, 52 are preschoolers and 292 have multiple disabilities. 276 schools
will be directly affected.  And in the end, all of the over 2,400 children
will be indirectly affected.

I urge you to please not allow this cut to the education of blind children.
Do not approve the removal of these core services to New Jersey’s blind
kids.

from a 1914 nj state budget hearing

Contributed by Pam Gaston

Editor’s Note: Pam found this testimony by Lydia Hayes, Supervisor of the
Commission for the Blind, in a search of archived documents at the NJ State
Library. We find the message regarding the value of “work” in this testimony
as appropriate today as it was nearly 100 years ago.

I have planned this paper so that at the close there will be time to ask
questions. If I have not made certain points clear, I would like to have you
ask for further and fuller explanation.

I want to make one statement: That the work of the New Jersey Commission for
the Blind has only been carried on for about three years. It is nine years
since the first call came from New Jersey to Massachusetts to come over into
New Jersey and organize State work for the blind.

As intelligent sympathy is necessary in solving all social problems, let us
turn our attention to the landmarks which stand out most prominently in New
Jersey's work for the blind, as conducted by the commission especially
appointed to this work in November, 1909. This commission consists of five
unsalaried citizens of this State (at least one of whom shall be a blind
person) appointed by the Governor for a term of three years.

The commissioners, recognizing the inalienable right of the individual,
whatever his age or condition, whether blind or sighted, to that education
which will free his powers to express the highest and best that is within
him, secured in 1910 the Legislative enactment removing the age limit, which
formerly excluded blind persons under eight and over 19 years of age from
training. The present appropriation of $20,000 affords educational
opportunities to all the blind youth of this State who desire institutional
training at the New York Institution for the Blind, New York City, where 19
blind pupils are in attendance, and at the Pennsylvania Institution for the
Instruction of the Blind, Overbrook, Pennsylvania, where 15 pupils are
studying. At these two well-equipped institutions, pupils secure thorough
elementary training in the common branches. They also pursue definite
courses in manual and physical training, and they have an unusual
opportunity to study the history, art and composition of music. From this
appropriation seven blind babies are cared for at the Arthur Home for Blind
Babies, Summit, NJ, at the rate of $330 per capita per annum. Mr. J. P.
Byers, State Commissioner of Charities, has charge of the expenditure of
this $20,000 appropriation.

The leading educators of the blind in this country have always recognized
the reciprocal advantages of teaching the blind with the sighted, but it is
only in the largest cities that this method is practicable. The
simplification and improvement of apparatus and the consequent decrease in
the cost of its production have played an important part in the solution of
the problem. The education of the blind should be twofold: the individual
and his responsibility to the community, and the community's understanding
of the capabilities of the individual. This can best be done under normal
conditions, where the blind and sighted live at home and pursue similar
studies and interests. Advancement was made along these lines in New Jersey
in 1911 by the passage of a bill requiring each school board having 10 or
more blind children in its district, to open a class in connection with its
public schools with a special teacher and apparatus. Prior to the passage of
this bill at the close of 1910, Dr. Poland organized such a class in Newark,
which at present has nine pupils. A year later Jersey City opened another
such class with seven pupils. The establishment of these special classes is
developing a fine spirit of cooperation between the sighted and the blind,
and will do away with the heart-breaks of many who, on their return home
from a well-equipped school, find that neither they nor their sighted
friends understand conditions.

The Legislature of 1913 granted tuition and a reader to each worthy blind
student desiring a college education, but made no appropriation for its
execution.

During 1912, five blind teachers have given 4,247 lessons to 248 blind
persons at the pupils' homes throughout the State and have worked in 18
counties, leaving only Hunterdon, Sussex and Somerset as yet without help.

These lessons have been in reading and writing the various embossed types,
knitting, crocheting, hand and machine sewing, raffia and reed basketry,
chair seating, hammock making and weaving on hand looms. Many messages have
come to headquarters from all parts of the State, expressing the pleasure
and profit received by the blind from the home teachers. One woman notices a
marked improvement in her health over the previous year. Another, hearing of
a man recently blinded, would not rest nor give the man or his family any
peace until he, too, applied for the services of a home teacher. The
relatives of other blind persons have expressed gratitude for the suggested
ways of helping the blind. So we are assured that the home teachers are, by
example and precept, training their pupils to recognize the sweetness of
adversity and helping transform an “Enchainment into an Enchantment.” All
are gaining a deeper insight into the truth of the power of the endless
life, and all realize more fully that each has the ability to further or
retard the happiness of those about him.

The privilege of work is everything in the intellectual and spiritual
development. The world may not need any man's work, but the man needs it. He
expands under its difficulties and problems, his faculties grow alert, his
perceptions become sensitive. That the blind might be encouraged to produce
salable work, Mrs. S. J. Churchill, of Montclair, NJ, raised a fund with
which to pay for such work when completed. This fund enabled us to employ a
blind stenographer for 20 weeks. The balance, together with further
donations and reimbursements from sales, from June 20, 1910, to the present,
amounting to $1,171.83, has been disbursed among the blind throughout the
State.

In order that the public may know the blind in their respective communities
and become familiar with their capabilities, and also that the market for
their work may be extended, addresses, demonstrations and sales of work for
and by the blind have been given in 16 different cities in New Jersey.

In these days of labor-saving machinery, it is difficult even for the
sighted to earn a livelihood by means of their hands. It is, therefore,
impossible for those handicapped by blindness to compete with the sighted
and machinery in the industrial struggle. One manufacturer is putting up a
high grade breakfast cocoa, which he furnishes at cost to the blind, to sell
from their homes. This they may obtain from the headquarters of the
commission at 859 Broad Street, Newark, NJ, where, in connection with the
office, the commission maintains a classroom, to which the adult blind come
daily for instruction. Music lessons are given to blind children in the
Newark public schools and the work of the blind is on exhibition and sale,
and orders for piano tuning and chair seating are solicited.

Realizing the vital importance of the prevention of blindness in infants,
the Legislature passed a law authorizing the State Board of Health to
provide every registered physician and midwife with a copy of the law and
mailing tubes of the prophylactic to be used in prevention. An appropriation
was made for the execution of this law in 1911. In 1912 the State Board of
Health voted that blank certificates of birth must contain the question,
“What preventive for ophthalmia neonatoram did you use? If none, state the
reason therefore.” The commission and the Commissioner of Labor are
considering possible ways of preventing blindness caused by industrial
accidents and improper lighting of factories.

Just here let me sound a note of warning. Do not overwork one of the most
precious gifts of God. In your system of education remember that sight is
but one of five senses. Conserve vision by developing and using the other
five. Never strain your eyes by reading lying down or in a poor light. I am
glad that my eight years of physical sight were spent on our frontier, and
that there Nature spoke a various language and I learned to yield myself to
her perfect whole, because her beauty appealed to every perceptive faculty.
There is as much beauty and variety in the sounds of nature as in its color
and form, and you may enjoy both. If you do not, you are not living up to
your full opportunities. When you have learned to hear the beauties of the
mountainside on a clear winter's morning and to listen to the song of the
mountain brook in its various moods at different seasons, then you will find
a new richness in nature; and in the pastoral music of the great masters for
it is sounds rather than colors that they are reproducing.

HOLIDAY SEASON WRAP-UP

By Suzanne Woolbert

Editor’s Note: Suzanne is the proud mom of two bright and active children,
Bryan 12, who is legally blind, and Lauren, 9. When she's not hovering in
the background critiquing Bryan's piano lessons and performances or
overseeing his church youth group, she may be at the local roller rink with
Lauren or on the soccer field. Suzanne works for CBVI as a Rehab Teacher in
the Southern Regional Office in Hammonton. After attending her first NFB
State Convention, Suzanne became an active member of the At-Large Chapter.
She believes strongly in making a difference in the lives of the blind, and
changing what it means to be blind in America today.

 Although it was a blustery and snowy day in some parts of the Garden State,

95 brave souls attended the second annual After the Holidays Party at the
Crowne Plaza Hotel in Clarke. In the Grand Ballroom, guests were greeted
warmly, many mentioned by name by our president, Joe Ruffalo. The room was
bright and cozy, and the sounds of young musicians, eager to please, could
be heard from the door. While the kids warmed up and got acquainted with
each other, adults mingled and greeted friends, new and old.

As party-goers began to settle into their seats, a gourmet salad accompanied
by warm rolls and butter appeared on tables, along with pitchers of water
and soft drinks. We all began to dive in, while being entertained by our
first performer, Matthew Whitaker, with a jazz tune on his organ. Only 9
years old and a student at the Lighthouse International and the Harlem
School for the Arts, and already becoming well known in the metro music
world, Matthew shared his gift and wowed the audience. Matthew was followed
by other talents: Shajeda Cupido, with a gorgeous, flawless rendition of
Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, Bryan Woolbert, with a medley of
Christmas tunes he arranged himself, and Angie Cocuzza in harmony with
Caroline Ingal, Kaylin, Cavaluzzo and Samantha Corgasco from Basking Ridge
High School in two melodic pieces sung a capella. Mr. Ruffalo shared the job
of MC with 10-year-old Hank Miller, who delighted the audience with his
jokes.

Everyone enjoyed a delectable main course, and a silent auction and door
prizes -- favorites among the crowd – helped to raise funds. Luscious carrot
cake, coffee and tea followed, but were soon upstaged by Santa Clause
himself. Santa in all his finery and ho-ho-ho-ing enchanted the young
children and grown-ups alike.

The party concluded on a high note, with warm embraces from friends new and
old, and promises to keep in touch. Trinkets that had been won were gathered
up while party-goers began to make their way to the elevators, with bellies
full and joyful music still ringing in their ears.

MY MASSAGE SCHOOL EXPERIENCE

By Rania Ismail

Editor’s Note: Rania, a former LEAD student, learned her lessons well. Her
determination and hard work have given her the opportunity to complete what
she started. Rania is an active member of the At-Large Chapter of the
affiliate. Keep up the great work, Rania!

Since I was 14 years old, I wanted to become a massage therapist. I had
sustained a neck injury that had left me in chronic pain, and at the time,
massage therapy was the only thing that gave me any relief.  It was from
then on that I knew I wanted to become a massage therapist.  I could give
others who lived with chronic pain the same kind of relief I was receiving
myself.
After attending an 8-month program at Blind Industries and Services of
Maryland, I did some research on massage schools.  I found out that my local
community college offered a massage therapy program. I decided to try it.
While I was researching whether the Commission for the Blind would assist me
with funds, I faced a lot of discouragement.  Some people didn’t believe
that I could become a massage therapist, either due to my blindness or my
learning disability.  Some of them even tried to convince me to change my
career choice, but I wouldn’t budge.  I knew that becoming a massage
therapist was something that I truly wanted.  Although the massage therapy
program at the community college didn’t work out the way I hoped, I still
learned a lot, and my journey didn’t stop. Some people continued trying to
convince me not to go back to school and work toward my goal.  Some people
wanted me to gain work experience, instead of encouraging me to go back to
school to finish what I had worked so hard to achieve.  I pushed on despite
the negativity, and didn’t let what they thought hinder my success.
I continued looking for massage schools and at last found the Institute for
Therapeutic Massage.  I called the school and spoke to an admissions
counselor. I explained my experience at the community college, and I told
the counselor that I wanted to achieve my goal of becoming a massage
therapist.  When I toured the campus, I could tell that everyone at the
school - from the counselors in admissions, to the teachers I met - really
wanted to help me complete this program!  I could tell that everyone
believed that I could make it and achieve my goal. The people who believed
in me and encouraged me to keep going are my mother, Terri Lucas, a longtime
friend, Nicki Newton, my aide from middle school until I graduated from high
school, Joe Ruffalo, who was one of my mentors in both the blindness field
and one of my mentors in the field of massage therapy, Mary Ellen Ricks, who
is a massage therapist, Jane Marron, another massage therapist, Jason
Rivera, also a massage therapist, Alan Reynolds , a yoga instructor, and
many more.
I started at ITM in September 2009 and graduated in July 2010 with my
certificate in therapeutic massage! It took me three years to achieve my
goal.  I will admit that it was a lot of hard work but it was worth it!
After graduating, I applied for my New Jersey state certification, and I am
now a New Jersey state certified massage therapist!  Yes the journey was
long with many road blocks, but I did it!  I made it because of my
willingness and my determination to learn.  My instructors were also willing
to work with me until the very end of the program.  Now I am on call at a
local salon.
Joe taught me that when things don’t go the way you want them to but you
have something that you really want, “it doesn’t matter how long you take to
win the race, what matters is that you finish the race.” After thinking
about that for a while, I came to realize that it was going to take me a
little longer to achieve my goal but it was possible! That quote showed me
that the only thing that matters in the end is that you finish what you
started. Another quote that helped me keep going is this one from
Christopher Reeve:
For everyone who thought I couldn't do it
For everyone who thought I shouldn't do it
For everyone who said, “It's impossible”
See you at the finish line!

NJ TRANSIT OFFERS NEW ALERT SYSTEM

A recent NJ Transit Access Link newsletter announced an automated alert and
advisory system called My Transit. Since Access Link no longer calls its
users when there are changes or cancellations, this system offers two ways
to get this information. The first option is to call 1-800-955-2321. If an
area is affected, there will be a message that says how long the changes or
cancellations will be in effect. The second option is to sign up on the NJ
Transit website to receive a message sent to your cell phone, mobile device
or e-mail with any announcements and schedule changes, including
elevator/escalator outages and boarding changes, that might affect your
trip. You can sign up for this service at the NJ Transit website:
http://njtransit.com/mytransit.

THE FAITH HEALER COMETH

By Barry Brindisi

Editor’s Note: Barry is a member of the Blind Writers Group of CBVI’s
Central Regional Office, Toms River, NJ. Read more of his stories on his
website, Inspiration Point, at
http://inspiration-point.org/2009/12/09/the-faith-healer-cometh/.

“A faith healer is coming to Toms River, NJ!” declared a local newspaper. It
was a chilly autumn evening in 1976 when Mom and I went to see this guy.  I
was 10 years old, and I wanted God to heal my eyes and ears.  My mom
believed that if I was healed, then I would not have to suffer.

Upon arrival, we saw a large crowd packing the church. There may well have
been over 200 people there that day. To handle the overflow, the church set
up seats in a side room.  A sound system was set up so everyone could hear
what was going on.

We were sitting on the front right side of the church.  As we sat watching,
I could see a young man reaching out to various people and offering to pray
for them.  He appeared to be 5 feet tall, had a small frame and sandy brown
hair.  As he was busy working with other people, my mom saw some people
getting out of their wheelchairs or walking without the use of crutches.  It
appeared that healing was taking place.  My mom whispered into my ears about
what she was seeing.  Suffice to say, this added to my expectations.

What drove my mother and me to see this healer?

In 1964, I was born with poor vision, a severe hearing loss in both ears and
a slight facial paralysis.  The doctors told my parents that I would have a
very rough future.

Dad’s desire was for me to be independent and not rely on anyone.  This
included not getting help from family and friends.  My mom shared a similar
viewpoint.

My mother would say, “Barry, you have to tie your own shoes.  I am not
helping you.” According to mom, I tied my shoes when I was 2 years old.  My
two brothers did get help when learning.  It felt like a double standard.

“What disabilities? You can do the same things other kids can do,” was a
common remark of my father.  On the other hand, my mother was almost the
opposite.  Though she tried to be encouraging, my mother was overprotective.

Dad would often remark that if I wasn’t careful, “They would come and take
me away and put me in a group home.” Dad was not one to gauge his words and
their effects.  The message I got was that society would not accept me
unless pushed to do so.

This created a strong sense of anger, hurt and frustration inside me.  I was
determined to show that I was just as capable as everyone else. I just would
not take “no” for an answer. Funny thing is, I didn’t have to prove
anything.

In public school, I would push to prove that I was just as smart and as
capable as the other kids were.  Oddly enough, I didn’t have to prove I was
smart.  I was blind to this truth.

It was no surprise to them that I’d do well in a 5th grade spelling bee
contest.  Some old friends pointed out that I was considered a brainiac or a
nerd.  Unfortunately, I had a bad habit of quickly raising my hand and
blurting out the answer.

When our gym class would go outside to play softball and it came to batting,
I would sometimes hit the ball, but more often missed it.  When it came to
being in the outfield, I would just not see the ball in time.  If not for
fellow classmates, the ball would have hit me.

I refused to acknowledge my physical limitations. I was afraid of what would
happen if I even dared to ask anyone for help, and, for fear of pity and
shame, I refused to let others help me, even if I was in danger.

So now it is 1976 and the faith healer has cometh. Oh, how I looked forward
to being healed!

As he drew closer, I became increasingly excited about the coming miracle.
Finally, the young man stopped in front of me and asked what I wanted.  “I
want to be healed,” I replied.  He prayed that Jesus would heal me, and then
he moved on to the next person.  I was not healed that first night. I felt
disappointed and hurt.

Feeling skeptical and frustrated, I went again the next night.  I asked the
healer, “If God can make the world in six days, then why isn’t God healing
me?” Seeing the hurts inside of me, he graciously prayed for me a second
time.  He said, “God will heal you.”  I was not healed that night, either.

Eventually, I asked my mother about the healing. She said, “You need to have
faith.”

Did I honestly believe that God could heal me? Yes, I did, and for a while
after the healing service, I continued to ask God why I wasn’t healed.

Years later, I learned that God did answer my prayers. It just was not as I
expected. My eyes and ears were not the ones in need of immediate healing.
The issue was my heart and how I perceived myself.  I had seen my
disabilities as a prison that needed escaping, but they were not.  God
desired for me to focus on what I can do for God and other people.  For Him,
it is my availability and abilities that counted and not my inabilities.

LOOKING GOOD WITHOUT LOOKING NOW ON THRUOUREYES
By Linda Zani Thomas

Editor’s Note: Join Linda the fourth Wednesday of every month for all kinds
of fashion tips and trends. Linda is a longtime board member of Parents of
Blind Children and a true fashion goddess.

Don’t miss Looking Good Without Looking, a monthly webcast on personal style
and fashion for the blind and visually impaired on
<http://www.thruoureyes.org/>  www.thruoureyes.org. Here are some highlights
from the first two shows, which you can listen to and/or watch at
www.thruoureyes.org <http://www.thruoureyes.org/> .

January, 2011

This show featured top fashion trends for Spring 2011, including the top
colors this spring, deals of the month on perfume, and the 10 wardrobe
must-haves for men and women. Guest NFBNJ fashionista Evelyn Valdez revealed
some of her Secrets of Shopping.

The Pantone Most Directional Colors for Spring 2011 include honeysuckle; a
bright pink or rose color; coral, a red-orange; peapod, a light green;
beeswax yellow; silver peony – a neutral; russet – a brownish-rust color;
regatta blue; blue curacao, which is a dark blue green; and lavender.

Men’s Top 10 Wardrobe Must Haves: (1) a blue or white dress shirt, (2)
jeans, (3) blue or black T-shirt, (4) a suit in a neutral color, (5) a sport
jacket in a neutral color, (6) chinos or slacks with a flat front, in a
neutral color and with no logos or tags, (7) a red tie, (8) a solid,
hip-length, plain 3-season jacket in black, navy, charcoal or chocolate, (9)
a trench coat and (10) a thin, cashmere V-neck in a  color that plays to
your personality.

Women’s Top 10 Wardrobe Must Haves: (1) a trench coat in a neutral color,
(2) a fitted black or white top, (3) dark jeans, (4) a tunic length,
body-skimming top, (5) a black skirt, (6) a cashmere sweater or cardigan in
a personal color, (7) a Little Black Dress, (8) a white or ivory blouse, (9)
a sweatsuit alternative and (10) black  capri-length leggings.

February 2011

This show featured deals of the month on jewelry, and In the Spotlight
featured Weddings, Proms and Special Occasion Dressing with tips from
callers Kelly and Laurel. The Style School segment was all about eye makeup,
including how to get the smoky eye look! What is a “smoky eye”? This look
elongates the eyes by adding a shadow past the outer corner of the eyes and
sweeping upward. To get a two-color basic smoky eye, use blues, browns,
taupes and plums. Use a lighter shade on the lids and a darker shade in the
creases and on the lower lash line. Add a touch of shine to the inside
corners. Rim your bottom lashes with dark pencil, add a trace of colored
shadow on the outer corners, and smudge a bit of extra mascara at the
corners, too.

Weddings, Proms and Special Occasion Dressing – For men, a vest with a tie
is a hot style trend. For women, the strapless look is still hot, but so are
sleeves and the one-shoulder look. Look for gowns with beaded belts, and be
sure to match your shoes to your gown. Purple – and especially eggplant – is
popular this spring.

Style School: Eye Makeup – For perfect eye wear, think about both the shape
and color of your eyes. Consider what you want to accentuate, and then
downplay the other areas. Use the same level of color intensity for your
eyes, lips, cheeks and even your hair.  Use colors that complement your skin
and hair tone, that work with your outfit and that flatter your eyes. Keep
in mind the kind of event you’re attending and your age. Here are some color
ideas:

·    Blue eyes – use gray, violet, lavender, rose, mauve, peach, gold, amber
or bronze. Use the rule of opposites: for dark blue eyes, use sky blue
shadows; for sky or light blue eyes, use dark blue.

·    Hazel eyes – use pink, brown, cream, taupe, purple violet, plum,
purple, yellow or gold

·    Green eyes – use chestnut, royal purple, violet, plum, brown, forest
green (keep in mind the opposite rule)

·    Brown eyes – use copper, bronze, champagne, beige, forest green or
gold, and consider an accent of purple or navy, royal blue, dark teal.

Eye Makeup Tricks

·    For heavy eyelids, use dark liner or shadow near lash line.

·    To make your eyes look larger, use pearly shadow on the lids and inner
corners.

·    If you have wide-set eyes, use dark shadow on the inner corners.

Define your eyes by the contour shadow in the crease. Debbie Azzarone
recommends the Mally eyelift shadow duo A86902 contour set available from
QVC, which comes in a taupe/grayish color or brown. This is a very natural
looking shadow and is impossible to overdo. It contours and redefines with
no risk of looking ridiculous.

At press time, the March 23rd show had not yet aired, but themes for the
show included recommendations for eye makeup and accessorizing. Join the
Looking Good Without Looking Facebook page to keep the conversation going,
or e-mail Linda at lindazani at aol.com with questions or suggestions for
upcoming shows! Remember, full vision, low vision or no vision
 we can all
be style icons!

I saw a blind person driving!

By Evelyn Valdez

Editor’s Note: Evelyn is president of the NJ Association of Blind Students
and chairperson of NJ’s Imagination Fund/Race for Independence.

January 29, 2011 was a gorgeous day in Daytona Beach, Florida. In fact, the
weather complemented the excitement of all the NFB members who attended the
Blind Driver Challenge that day. I stood alongside Oscar, my boyfriend, and
all those individuals imagining what many have said was impossible: A blind
person driving.

We watched in suspense as Mark Riccobono, executive director of the Jernigan
Institute, drove onto the Daytona International Speedway in a shiny, black,
2011 Ford Escape Hybrid with the Whozit logo and the Blind Driver Challenge
logo on it. The car was equipped with nonvisual technology – including laser
sensors, vibrating gloves and a vibrating seat – that provided him with the
information he needed to drive the car. He set out on a path with obstacles
representative of the paths and journeys that each blind person faces every
day.

We were in the grandstand, and as the vehicle approached us, we became even
more excited. The momentum was building, and I was wondering if the sounds
of the crowd would distract him, but Mark drove around each cone
effectively. Then he drove around random boxes that a van dropped onto the
racetrack, and I was feeling confident that we had succeeded, but Mark still
had to go around Turn #3 and make it to the finish line.

When Mark completed Turn #3, he began to increase his speed with more
confidence. He was approaching the finish line. He passed the van that had
dropped the boxes on the track. He did it! My heart was filled with so much
pride and a thousand jolts of happiness. Mark drove that car 1.5 miles on
the racetrack. We accomplished a task; one more notch under our belt. We all
drove that car that day!

MY “OUTSTANDING STUDENT” EXPERIENCE

By Hamlet Diaz

Editor’s Note: A frequent contributor to The Sounding Board, Hamlet is a
senior at Union City High School and a member of the LEAD Program.

On Friday, March 11, I went to my gym class in the morning in school as
usual. Suddenly, my gym teacher told me that the assistant principal wanted
to see me. As I walked to his office, my heartbeat was racing. I was
thinking, “What did I do wrong? No, I didn’t do anything wrong.” When I
arrived at his office, I sensed right away that he didn’t call me for
anything bad since he greeted me pleasantly. In fact, he gave me  great
news. He told me that people from the state would be visiting the school on
March 14, and that they were going to interview 15 outstanding students. He
told me that I was one of them. I was excited! I went back to my gym class
and I began to dance. I told one of my friends that I was ready to “rock and
roll.”

Monday came. I attended my classes in the morning. At 11:43 a.m., I went to
the media center, and the interview began at noon. I wasn’t alone. The other
14 students were there with me. I answered questions like “What is your
favorite subject?” (history) and “What do you like about the school?”
(after-school classes to help students pass the High School Proficiency
Assessment, or HSPA).

This was a great experience. It helped me to feel more comfortable when
going to an interview. It also helped me to gain more confidence in
expressing my opinions.

NFB-NEWSLINE NOW OFFERS JOB LISTINGS

>From the NFB-Newsline® Team

In addition to the hundreds of publications and TV listings available,
NFB-NEWSLINE® now offers subscribers the ability to independently access job
classifieds and apply for open positions. With this ground-breaking
job-listings feature, blind and print-disabled people can now search for job
openings that match their education, skills and interests.  Subscribers can
easily search through hundreds of thousands of job listings from all across
the country and look for openings in their hometowns.

With the addition of content from a national job classifieds provider,
NFB-NEWSLINE®subscribers can conduct searches for job openings in over 50
categories and can narrow the search to look for certain keywords within the
listings. Subscribers can also request that a particular job listing be sent
to them via e-mail; the e-mail will contain the listing as well as a link
that will provide a Web page with the position’s application form.

To access the job listings, subscribers call into the NFB-NEWSLINE® service
(the listings are currently only available via phone) and press 9 from the
main menu.  From there, subscribers then set up their search profile, and
create and save their search preferences.  Because the job listings are
pulled afresh from the classifieds provider on each call, subscribers get
the most up-to-the-minute search results. To experience this revolutionary
job-listings feature, call today!

THE TALKING BOOK & BRAILLE CENTER IS COMING TO A LIBRARY NEAR YOU!

By Anne McArthur

The New Jersey State Library Talking Book & Braille Center (TBBC) recently
announced the roll-out of the Outspoken Library. Over 40 free-standing
Outspoken Library computer kiosks are being delivered to participating
public libraries across New Jersey. The goal is to give every New Jersey
public library patron an opportunity to learn about and explore the Talking
Book & Braille Center's free library programs that are available to anyone
who cannot read a standard print book.

Each Outspoken Library kiosk has live links to services administered through
TBBC such as our own Audiovision Newspaper Reading Service and the National
Federation of the Blind’s Newsline with over 300 newspapers, magazines and
wire services.  Access to the 18,000 digital books available through the
Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) site is also available. Video
demonstrations and instructions on how to do a BARD download are also found
on each Outspoken Library kiosk.

The kiosks are not equipped with accessible software; they’re designed
primarily to be used by librarians to promote this free service to people
who don’t know about it, and by caregivers of TBBC customers who may have
difficulty getting to the library. However, if you are a TBBC customer
without home Internet access, the local librarian can assist you in setting
up a BARD account and downloading TBBC’s digital talking books at your local
library. To learn if your local library has this program, check
http://njsltbbc.org/outspoken_library or call 800-792-8322.

6th ANNUAL “COVERING THE BASES” SET FOR JULY 29

By Pam Gaston

The 6th Annual “Covering the Bases” – “The Trenton Thunder’s Blind and
Visually Impaired Awareness Night” – will be held Friday evening, July 29,
2011, at Waterfront Park in Trenton. The purpose of “Covering the Bases” is
to promote full community inclusion and awareness of the potential and
achievements of individuals who are blind or visually impaired. Last year,
over 400 CBVI consumers came out to enjoy the evening’s festivities with
their families and friends. Each year, during a pre-game ceremony on the
ball field, CBVI and TBBC recognize the achievements of outstanding NJ
residents who are blind or visually impaired before a large, cheering crowd
of baseball fans. To nominate someone, please contact
Pamela.Gaston at dhs.state.nj.us.

FROM THE KITCHEN OF JERILYN HIGGINS

Editor’s Note: Jerilyn Higgins is an active member of the NFBNJ and serves
as first vice president, chapter president, scholarship chairperson and
co-editor of The Sounding Board.  She is employed as an ADL instructor in
the Essex SCILS program and is a Northern Region mentor in the LEAD program.
In her spare time, Jerilyn can be found in the kitchen cooking.

Penne with Vodka Sauce

This dish is very delicious, easy and filling.

Ingredients:

2 29-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes

1 and ½ cups of heavy cream

½ cup of vodka

1 teaspoon basil

½ teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon parsley

1 teaspoon oregano

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion finely chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

1.       Sauté garlic, onion and olive oil in a pot large enough to hold all
the ingredients. Add the spices.

2.       Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes.

3.       Add the vodka and cook for 5 more minutes.

4.       Add the heavy cream and cook for another 5 minutes.

5.       Prepare 2 pounds of penne pasta and strain. Toss the pasta in the
sauce and add grated parmesan cheese.

Italian Ricotta Cheesecake

If you're looking for a lighter cheesecake, you may enjoy this authentic
Italian ricotta cheesecake. This delightful dessert has a light taste and
texture and has a hint of citrus and cinnamon underlying the vanilla. Try it
with some fresh raspberries for the best ricotta cheesecake for the summer
months.

For the best results, follow these directions carefully. Cheesecakes can be
touchy. They crack easily and are often overcooked because it's easy to
misjudge the signs that the cheesecake is really done. Make sure the
cheesecake is still wobbly in the center. You always want to bake a ricotta
cheesecake until the top begins to brown, but you want the center to be
soft. It will firm up as it cools.

Ingredients:
2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1½ teaspoons vanilla
6 large eggs, gently beaten
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon orange zest
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange flavored liqueur (Triple Sec, Cointreau or Grand
Marnier)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set rack to center setting. Grease and flour a
spring-form cheesecake pan.

In a mixing bowl, beat ricotta cheese with an electric mixer on low. Add
sugar and flour and beat just until incorporated. The flour is added to
prevent
the cheesecake from cracking. Add vanilla, eggs, zest, liqueur and cinnamon,
beating just enough to get cheesecake filling to be smooth and lump-free,
but no more than is absolutely necessary. (Overbeaten cheesecakes are more
prone to cracking.) Pour cheesecake batter into pan. Scrape sides of bowl to
get every bit of the batter into the spring-form pan.

Place cheesecake onto the center rack in the oven and bake for approximately
60 minutes or until center two to three inches is set, but still jiggles
when
the pan is moved. Shut oven off and let cheesecake sit in oven for 30
minutes.

Remove cheesecake from oven. Let the cheesecake cool while still in the pan
on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Then move cheesecake to the refrigerator for
at least six hours. This gradual cooling process will help prevent your
cheesecake from cracking
too much.

Unmold cheesecake carefully. Cover up any cracks with fresh berries or with
a topping made from fresh berries.

NFBNJ CHAPTER NEWS

Editor’s Note: You’ll find contact and meeting information for all our
Chapters, Programs, Associations and Divisions on pages 27-28 of this issue.

AT-LARGE CHAPTER, by Joe Ruffalo, Coordinator

The At-Large Chapter will celebrate its third anniversary in April and, to
date, has connected with several hundred throughout this period.  The
purpose of the At-Large Chapter is to meet monthly via conference call to
conduct meetings of the NFB, and to educate all on the call with programs,
projects and opportunities offered by the NFB and the NFBNJ.  A goal of the
chapter is to encourage members to join their local chapter or to establish
a chapter in their area.  This spring, a new chapter will be established in
the Atlantic County area by an At-Large Chapter member, and we hope to
establish a new chapter in the Somerset County area this fall. In addition,
an At-Large Chapter member is coordinating a committee of senior blind with
the goal of developing a division. The At-Large Chapter members hosted our
34th annual State Convention. The At-Large Chapter members are on the move
and are changing what it means to be blind. Please join us each month on our
conference call.

CAPITAL CHAPTER, by Mary Jo Partyka, President

The Capital Chapter celebrated the holidays at a restaurant in Yardville
called La Forchetta. We were fortunate to have the restaurant to ourselves
since it didn’t open to the public until later in the afternoon. The food
was delicious and the service couldn’t have been better.

Our chapter has two new members, and in addition to acclimating them into
the chapter, we are determining what projects to work on for this year. We
hope to see you at our next chapter meeting!

CENTRAL JERSEY CHAPTER, by Jerilyn Higgins, President

On April 2, 2011 we celebrated our 12th anniversary at Haley’s Harp and Pub
in Metuchen. June 11 we will be participating in the Lion’s club flea
market, handing out NFB literature and hoping to raise funds.  If anyone has
items for the chapter to sell, please call Lynn Reynolds at 908-251-5510.
We’re in the planning stages for our Meet the Blind Month activity for
October.

For those interested in brushing up on their Braille, call Barbara Finan to
schedule a time before or after the chapter meeting: 732-738-1996.

Each month our chapter members participate in the Grace Lutheran Church food
drive by bringing the food item of the month to our meeting.

If you live in Middlesex County, would like to join us and are registered
with Middlesex County Area Transit (MCAT), call Kelly Leary at
732-388.1322to reserve a ride to the meeting. Please join us in changing
what it means to be blind.

GARDEN STATE CHAPTER, by Linda DeBerardinis

Greetings from the Garden State Chapter!  Our holiday party was a great
success. There were a lot of people, songs, prizes and, of course, food for
all!

Ryan Stevens and Elizabeth Morgan attended the Washington Seminar this year.
This was Elizabeth’s first time on Capitol Hill. She came back well versed
on all the issues, giving us a full report.

  We are still searching for a spring fundraiser. If you have any ideas,
please send them our way! August 2011 will be the Garden State Chapter’s
20th anniversary. To celebrate, we are planning something special for our
members. Our annual picnic under the pavilion at Red Bank Battlefield Park
will be held a bit early this year. The date is August 27, from 2 – 6 p.m.
There will be food, music, games, tours and camaraderie. Please join us rain
or shine!

NORTHEAST CHAPTER, by Debbie Azzarone

Greetings from the Northeast Chapter! We are slowly beginning to thaw out
from this wicked winter and as the spring weather appears, we plan to be
back on the curbs of various Shop-Rites to begin our fundraising for this
year. We’ve welcomed a few new members, and we’re always ready to welcome
more. We also appreciate visits from other chapters’ members at our
meetings.

You’re encouraged to listen to our web radio show at thruoureyes.org every
Wednesday night at 8 p.m. We’ve added a new show to our program line-up –
Looking Good without Looking, which gives a variety of tips about fashion
and makeup, color and style trends. We’re able to continue ThruOurEyes for
another year due to the generosity of the Imagination Fund, which gave us
another grant this past fall.

NORTHERN CHAPTER, by Rebecca Irvin

The Northern Chapter had an exciting beginning of the year. Our vice
president, Rick Fox, talked about the digital talking book player and showed
us how to download books. We also had two nurses speak with us about
nutrition. Three chapter members participated in the NFB Washington Seminar.
The chapter’s legislative chairperson, Rick Fox, summarized the issues and
the Seminar experience for chapter members. Future meetings will focus on
helping our members learn more about the legislative process and develop
advocacy skills.

NFBNJ PROGRAMS, ASSOCIATIONS & DIVISIONS NEWS

ADOPT ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT, by Lynn Reynolds

At the time of this writing, the pieces of equipment on hand are magnifiers
and a Braille Blazer.  We have requests for computers, Braille writers,
stand-alone readers and a CCTV.  If anyone has items to donate, or if you
have a request, please contact me or Ed Godfrey.

DIABETES DIVISION, by Vincent Chaney

The members of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey Affiliate
and the Diabetes Division of the NFBNJ were grateful to Advanced Diabetic
Solutions for their $2,000 Platinum Sponsorship of the NFBNJ 2010 State
Convention and Diabetes Division of the NFBNJ. This financial backing will
aid in our tasks, goals and projects. We look forward to working with them
in the future.

division to promote the use of Braille, by Mary Jo Partyka

The Braille Division is awaiting the results of the Braille Readers are
Leaders Contest to see how many people participated in New Jersey. Last year
we had nine participants, and we sent letters and gifts to acknowledge their
involvement in this worthy project. Our goal is to bring the participants to
the State Convention in November and recognize them for their achievements.

The Braille Division also donated money to Pennies for Pages on behalf of
two New Jersey students.

ThruOurEyes.Org, by Lenny Azzarone

Starting in April, we had video players embedded within our website which
will play all of our video shows for a given month. These players also have
playlists so that a user can watch just a given show title without having to
look through all the shows of the month. All our videos will now be
watchable on all mobile devices, like smartphones, as well as the iPad and
iPod Touch.

 Our newest feature is the WTOE video podcast.  Users can subscribe to an
RSS feed and receive all of our videos just like our audio podcasts.
Additionally our video podcasts can be watched on any computer operating
system, as well as smartphones such as Blackberry, Android and Apple OS
devices.

 We are excited to extend our service offerings to meet our goal of offering
quality programming to anyone and everyone who has access to the Internet.

NFBNJ CONTACT INFORMATION

NFB National Center

    President

        Marc Maurer                                   410-659-9314

NFB State Affiliate

    President

        Joseph Ruffalo                               973-743-0075

    First Vice President

        Jerilyn Higgins                                973-239-8874

    Second Vice President

        Mary Jo Partyka                             609-888-5459

    Secretary

        Beatrice Oliveti                             201-430-9314

    Treasurer

        Tom Ferry                                         973-694-5922

    Board Members

        Evelyn Valdez                                 908-206-8701

        Dan Facchini                                   201-906-8655

        Lynn Reynolds                                908-251-5510

        Ryan Stevens                                  856-858-3518

        Linda DeBerardinis                       856-764-7014

        Michele Chaney                            732-251-8650

NFB of NJ Chapters, Meeting Info and President’s Contact Info

At-Large Chapter

        Last Thursday, 8 p.m.

712-432-0180

                                                  and enter code 460994

Capital Chapter

Third Sat., Lawrence Library, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville,

10 a.m.

Mary Jo Partyka                                 609-888-5459

<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Central Jersey Chapter

Second Sat., Grace Lutheran Church, Perth Amboy, 9:30 a.m. - noon

Jerilyn Higgins                                    973-239-8874

                                           jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Cumberland/Salem Chapter

Third Mon., Tri-County Independent Living Center, Millville, 10:30 a.m.

Anna Jordan                                        856-696-3905

                                           <mailto:ajjordan29 at verizon.net>
ajjordan29 at verizon.net

Garden State Chapter

Third Sat., Kennedy Memorial Hospital auditorium, Cherry Hill, 10 a.m.

    Ed Godfrey                                           856-906-4516

<javascript:parent.ComposeTo('egodfrey137 at comcast.net',%20'');>
egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Northeast Chapter

Third Sat., St. Mathew’s Church, Secaucus, 10 a.m. coffee, meeting at 11
a.m. www.ThruOurEyes.org

    Dan Facchini                                        201-906-8655

<mailto:danfb at verizon.net> danfb at verizon.net

Northern Chapter

Third Sat., Free Public Library, 3rd Floor, Newark, 10 a.m. - noon

    Rebecca Irvin                                      973-723-6559

                                               rirvin14 at optonline.net

Ocean Chapter

Second Sat., Ocean County Public Library, Toms River

Michael Halm                                     732-370-1797

                                                 Mbhrr15 at gmail.com

NFB of NJ Divisions

Association of Blind Merchants

    Anna DeSantis                                    732-462-4604

                                              annades at optonline.net

Association of Blind Students

Evelyn Valdez                                     908-206-8701

                                                             www.njabs.org

                                  <mailto:tweetybaby19 at comcast.net>
tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Association of Guide Dog Users

Vincent Chaney                                 732-251-8650

                                         vgc732 at optonline.net

Diabetes Division

    Vincent Chaney
732-251-8650

                                                 vgc732 at optonline.net

 <mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Parents of Blind Children

    Carol Castellano                                973-377-0976

<http://www.blindchildren.org> www.blindchildren.org

                                         <mailto:blindchildren at verizon.net>
blindchildren at verizon.net

Technology Division

Michele Chaney                                732-251-8650

 <mailto:msc732 at optonline.net> msc732 at optonline.net

Programs and Projects

Adopt Adaptive Equipment

    Lynn Reynolds                                    908-251-5510

<mailto:lhr1827 at optonline.net> lhr1827 at optonline.net

    Ed Godfrey                                           856-848-6372

                                          <mailto:egodfrey137 at comcast.net>
egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Blind Children’s Resource Center

blindchildren at verizon.net

Braille Mentoring Program

    Sue Tillett                                            609-924-7489

                                                 suetillett at verizon.net

    Mary Jo Partyka                                 609-888-5459

<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Imagination Fund

Evelyn Valdez                                     908-206-8701

                                 tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Legislative Coordinator

    Lynn Reynolds                                    908-251-5510

<mailto:lhr1827 at optonline.net> lhr1827 at optonline.net

Membership

    Beatrice Oliveti                                 201-430-9314

                                        <mailto:beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com>
beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com

    Linda DeBerardinis                           856-764-7014

                                                     ldeber at comcast.net

NFB Newsline

    William Dougherty                           800-792-8322

                       <http://www.nfb.org/newsline1.htm>
http://www.nfb.org/newsline1.htm

Scholarship

   Jerilyn Higgins              973-239-8874

                                               jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Thru Our Eyes/Internet Radio

Lenny Azzarone                                 800-572-0181

                                             www.ThruOurEyes.org

                                          vdoman at optonline.net

PLEASE NOTE:

Deadline for the Fall 2011 issue of The Sounding Board is October 1, 2011.

Articles received after this date will be held for the Spring 2012 issue.

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

 <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org     <http://www.blindchildren.org>
www.blindchildren.org     <http://www.thruoureyes.org> www.thruoureyes.org
<http://www.njabs.org> www.njabs.org

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Beatrice Oliveti at  <mailto:beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com>
beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB