[Nfb-editors] WFB ChapterNewsletter

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:22:40 UTC 2011

Below is the June newsletter for the Wake Federation of the Blind, a
chapter of the NFB located in Wake County (Raleigh), North Carolina. I
am Associate Editor for this newsletter, in charge of layout,
announcements, and articles of special interest (such as recipes,
websites or local groups of interest, etc). I hope you will read and
critique it. (Note: phone numbers were removed for privacy, and the
attachment, the last meeting minutes, was not included).

~Jewel

-------
This Month at WFB

Contents:
*This Month's Meeting and Eat-Out
* Mark Your Calendar!
*An inspirational psalm
*Accessible Bibles
*Yard Sale Donations
* Recipe: Chicken Pie
* President’s Corner
*Congratulations
* Announcement
* Two Advertisements
* One Attachment

This Month's Meeting and Eat-Out
Join us at 814 Dixie Trail on June 11 at 2pm for our monthly meeting.
Come in on the Dixie Trail side and someone will greet you at the
door. This month, we'll be doing a technology fair, so bring your
favorite piece of technology, whether it's a slate with a signature
guide you find particularly useful or a smart phone with OCR.
After the meeting, join us at Two Guys Italian Restaurant (2504
Hillsborough Street)for an informal eat-out. This eat-out is optional,
but is a wonderful way to get to know the members of the WFB.
Transportation to the restaurant is available, but you should schedule
transportation from the restaurant afterward.

Mark Your Calendar!
June 11: WFB Meeting and Technology Fair
July 3-8: NFB National Convention in Orlando, Florida
July 9: WFB Meeting and Yard Sale

An Inspirational Psalm
Assistant Editor's Note: At the May meeting, President Lusi Radford
shared with us a psalm to inspire us in advocacy. Here is that aptly
chosen psalm, Psalm 44;3 from the New International Version of the
Bible:
“It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm
bring them victory: it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of
your face, for you loved them.”

Accessible Bibles
For those who seek a bible in large print, audio, or Braille, there
are several ways of obtaining one. The first option is
www.braillebibles.org, which offers several versions of the bible in
Braille, audio, or large print, most for free. Another option is
through NLS BARD
(https://nlsbard.loc.gov/cgi-bin/nlsbardprod/index.cgi), which has the
King James version in digital audio. After logging in, do a search for
"holy Bible." Searching for "bible" will also yield interesting
bible-related books. There are many other ways to read the Bible,
including electronic Bibles and online versions, but I hope you will
find these sources useful in finding the right Bible for you.

Yard Sale Donations
The annual WFB yard sale is drawing nigh! Please bring all your
donations to 814 Dixie Trail (the same church as our monthly meetings)
on July 8. Particularly of desire are collectibles. Please, no
intimate apparel.

Recipe: Chicken Pie
Assistant Editor's Note: Michael Cox is a member of the Wake
Federation of the Blind. He is a dedicated lover of cooking. Quick and
easy recipes are his specialty, and here he shares one of his
favorites:
Ingredients:
4quart casserole dish
2 pounds cooked chicken cubed or sheared
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can each cream of celery and chicken soups
Mushrooms fresh or canned your choice
2 cups milk
2 cups bisquick
2 cups frozen or 1 cup canned vegetables (if frozen, defrost before adding)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine chicken, mushrooms, soups and vegetables. Pour into casserole dish.
3. combine bisquick and milk and pour over the dish's contents. You
may put butter on top if you like. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or
until crust is done all the way through.
Makes 6 servings.

President’s Corner
Last month I thought I had done a really fine thing in the name of
efficiency. I attached the Calendar and the April minutes to the
newsletter. When we got to the reports I suggested that since everyone
had read the minutes attached to the newsletter that we vote not to
reread them. Everyone seemed to think that that was a fantastic idea.
Since then I have been quite shocked to find that no one seems to have
red the minutes. Infact a couple of people have said that there were
no attachments. Please, don’t be polite!! If they aren’t there tell
me. It looks like that one of the fifty-eight people who received last
month’s news letter would have told me if they weren’t there. I would
really like it if this month some few of you would take it upon
yourselves to let me know that the attachments go through. If this
isn’t going to work, I promise to work at being les efficient. Whether
you read the newsletter and attachments or not, I’m looking forward to
seeing as many of you as possible next Saturday. We have a lot of neat
things to look at. Robert Parish is bringing a Kindle Reader. Phil
Waters is bring a money reader, and Dasha Radford is Bring
Henrietta—an egg cooker just to mention a few.

Congratulations Are in Order
Ron Broadnax will not be with us next Saturday. He will be graduating
from Roanoke School of Theology with a Master’s of Theology. This
school has a satellite program in Durham. Both Ron and his wife, Mary,
will Be traveling to Elizabeth Town to receive their degrees. We are
very Proud of these two talented people. They contribute a lot to WFB
in many ways.

2011 GMSAAI Announcement
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!
Want fun, food, entertainment, and fellowship? Then, I’ve got the
place for you. Come to our fourth annual reunion of the Governor
Morehead School Alumni Association, Incorporated. “YOU DO NOT HAVE TO
BE A GMS ALUM.” All interested persons are welcomed to attend.
There will be activities such as hospitality, games, karaoke, a
cookout, a talent show, a dance, etc. all weekend; however, we would
like to make the talent show the most spectacular ever. Therefore, if
you or your friends and/or family have a talent and want it showcased,
come, entertain, and let us see you strut your stuff. If you’re
interested in participating in the talent show or for more
information, contact Darryl Eaton at 202-488-3931 or
deaton3 at verizon.net. Come and help us make this the greatest talent
show ever.

Now let me answer your most important questions:
WHEN? August 5-7
WHERE? Holiday Inn Brownstone located at 1707 Hillsborough Street in
Raleigh, NC 27605
HOW MUCH? Registration is $50 for members, $65 for nonmembers if paid
before the deadline, July 16; after July 16 there will be an
additional $10 fee. Room rates are $79 per night plus taxes and
including two tickets for breakfasts each morning. To secure this
special rate, call 800-331-7919 or 919-828-0811 and ask for GMS
reunion.
So, make your plans to be with us in August; reacquaint yourself with
old friends and make some new ones. For membership and/or registration
forms, go to gmsaai.org, print it out, fill it out, and send it to
Margaret Carter at
1704 Picnic Place
Raleigh, NC 27610
For more information contact Susan at 919-758-8912 or email
missP55 at nc.rr.com or susan.patterson at dhhs.nc.gov, Margaret at
919-856-0034 or margaret.carter at dhhs.nc.gov, or Les at 919-783-6041 or
jlseitz at pmpmail.com.

Two Beloved Pets Need New Homes
Jewel Shupin and Mike Cox are needing to find new homes for their two
beloved pets. Maggie the Cat is a very sweet calico of about five
years old. She is a lap lizard. Rusty is an apricot toy poodle. He is
eleven years old, but still thinks he’s a pup. Rusty has discerning
tastes and will only eat one kind of dog food. For more information
call XXX-XXX-XXXX.

An Apartment for Rent
Lusi Radford has a basement apartment which will be available for rent
in August. It includes a living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen and
bath. The occupant of the apartment shares a laundry room with
landlady. The apartment has a separate entrance. All utilities
including internet and cable are included in the rent of $750.00 per
month. A one time deposit of $100.00 is necessary if the occupant has
animals of any kind.
For more information call XXX-XXX-XXXX.