[Nfb-editors] Chapter Newsletter- Columbia Chapter NFB of SC Newsletter

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Wed Mar 9 03:37:09 UTC 2011

I here that there are several local chapters who have their own newsletters.
Here is a sample- 2 pages at 1,088 words:

Columbia Chapter NFB of SC Newsletter

February 11, 2011                        Happy Valentine's Day!

DUES ARE PAST DUE

            Your $15 dues are now past due.  Until they are paid, this will
affect your ability to ride the chapter van, board the Orlando NFB
Convention chartered bus, etc.  Get them in if you are late, to the
Federation Center where they will be turned in to our Treasurer, Beetle
Bailey.

CITY BUS/DART MEETING

            There will be a CMRTA meeting on Tuesday, February 15 at 6:00
p.m. at City Council Chambers at 1701 Main Street.  Come and show your
support.

BBQ & BINGO

            Our free BINGO, sponsored by the Telephone Pioneers will begin
at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 17.  Let us know if you need a van ride.
Our first BBQ Committee meeting will take place that same evening at 5:30
p.m.  Those of you serving on this committee will want to be present as we
kick off the 58th annual barbecue. Committee members are:
Barbecue/Fundraising Committee

Frank Coppel, Ed Bible, Julie Bible, Isaiah Nelson, Donald Capps. Betty
Capps, Magdalene Floyd, Vicki Black, Dorothy Barksdale, David Houck, Ernest
Gallman , Beetle Bailey, Tiffany Mitchell, Catharine Williams, Gail Nelson,
Benny Stidem, Fred Vercher, Harriet Davis, Dale Wolthoff, Julia Rembert,
Katherine Zeigler, Steve & Wanda Sheck, and Brandon Roof.  The BBQ date will
be Thursday, April 28 with canvas nights being Tuesday, April 19, Thursday,
April 21 and Monday, April 25.  See you there!

SENIOR CAMP AND CHILDREN'S CAMP

            Frank Coppel is Director of Senior Camp and applications will be
going out March 1 for blind seniors age 55 or over for the May 15-19 camp at
Rocky Bottom.  If you want to receive an application, call David Houck at
the Federation Center and we will place you on the mailing list.

            Vicki Black is Director of Children's Camp at Rocky Bottom for
blind children ages 6 to 11 (the week of June 12) and ages 12 to 16 (the
week of July 17). If you know a blind child who would like to attend a week
of children's camp (at no cost), contact David Houck or Vicki Black at
254-3777 to get their name on the mailing list when applications go out.
Also, Vicki is looking for good blind volunteer counselors for children's
camp.  If you are interested call and Vicki Black will be glad to hear from
you.  Its hard work but very rewarding.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER TRIPS TO ROCKY BOTTOM

           The Columbia Chapter plans to go to Rocky Bottom for Memorial Day
weekend, May 27-30 and again for September 30 to October 2.  Mark your
calendars now.  There may be an Upstate picnic which is being planned by JW
Smith and Carey Burris for federation members on Saturday, May 28 and we may
get in on the fun and fellowship at that time.

NFB ORLANDO CONVENTION

            Orlando Convention details are as follows:  Hotel:  Rosen
Shingle Creek Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357.
Reservations: Call (866) 996-6338.  The 2011 room rates are singles,
doubles, and twins, $63; and triples and quads, $67. In addition to the room
rates there will be a tax, which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge will
be made for children under seventeen in the room with parents as long as no
extra bed is requested. The hotel is accepting reservations now. A
$75-per-room deposit is required to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the
deposit will be refunded if notice is given to the hotel of a reservation
cancellation before June 1, 2011. The other 50 percent is not refundable.
Schedule:  Sunday, July 3 is Seminar Day, Monday, July 4 is Registration
Day, Tuesday, July 5 is Board Meeting and Division Day, Wednesday, July 6
are the Opening Sessions, Thursday, July 7 are the Business Sessions,
Friday, July 8 are the Business Sessions and Banquet Day and Adjournment.
Orlando Bus Schedule:  Depart from Columbia, Saturday, July 2 at 8:00 a.m.
and returning from Orlando Saturday morning, July 9.  Seats are available at
$70 per person.  Already we have 20 who have reserved their seats on the
chartered bus!   National convention pre-registration is March 1 to May31
and is $50 ($15 for registration and $35 for banquet tickets) or $60 after
May 31 ($20 for registration and $40 for banquet tickets).

            If you have not been to an NFB Convention before but want to go
to the Orlando convention in July?  The Federation Center has information
for Jernigan Scholarships for this purpose.  Call for information.  One
Columbia Chapter member has already applied.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

            We had a really good meeting.  Senator John Scott was our
special guest speaker for Black History Month.  It was very inspiring.  This
was followed up by Regina Thomas giving our devotional.  Between the two of
them it was hard to follow up as both were very well received.  Regina will
be speaking in Spartanburg on Sunday, February 27 at 2:00 p.m. and if you
are interested in riding the van to hear her, call the Center or Dorothy
Barksdale as we will make the van available for the trip.

            Continue to pray for Fred Vercher as he is still in the hospital
recovering and will later be moved to Heartland of Columbia for further
care.  We also extend our best wishes to Sherry Vercher as well.  Bernie
White also went into the hospital recently.  It was good to see Phil
Watridge at the meeting as he had suffered back injuries from a car accident
last year.

            The Daytona trip was successful as Mark Riccobono drove a
modified Ford Escape around Daytona International speedway, successfully
dodging boxes thrown out on the track and passing a pick up truck on the
race course.  Regina Thomas spoke of the event as there were 30 South
Carolinians in attendance.  President Parnell Diggs says to sign up now on
the Race for Independence at

www.raceforindependence.org and get others to make gifts to help you reach
your goal through your email lists or by mailing friends and acquaintances.
It's an easy way to help raise funds for the Imagination fund!

            David Houck spoke of the Washington Seminar and the three
legislative issues dealing with technology, education and access to small
business loans and government contracts.

            Frank Coppel stated that the Federation Center's 50th
anniversary celebration has been scheduled for Tuesday, October 18, 2011.
Be watching for more exciting details to come!  Gail Nelson won $43 from the
50-50 drawing and we are happy for her early valentine's gift.

David Houck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB