[Nfb-editors] Making the newsletter work

Cheryl Orgas & William Meeker meekerorgas at ameritech.net
Sun Mar 13 01:05:07 UTC 2011

Consider the newsletters you and I receive in the mail.  The one from our
health care provider; the one from our insurance agent; from our church;
from our liquor store; from our neighborhood burglar;  do you read them?  I
certainly don't.  Mostly I read the article titles.  Usually the title tells
the story.  Sometimes I read the first paragraph and occasionally, the
entire article.  In my experience, newsletters are, by their nature mostly
mundane collections of information. Under certain circumstances , they can
be much more.

I was a state newsletter editor.  I couldn't sustain the content.  Finally,
I had the sense to resign for the good of my affiliate.

Our state is about to publish its long-dormant newsletter under a new
editor.  And voila, events have conspired to provide us a deluge of
information that will profoundly and negatively effect the blind in my
state, Wisconsin, for many years to come.  Our newsletter that has hitherto
provided useful if pedestrian news has the opportunity to not only report
history, but to be transformative to the blind of Wisconsin.

Bill Meeker