[Nfb-editors] Making the newsletter work

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:43:08 UTC 2011

Gary,

If newsletters follow your example, they can be all you say and more.
Unfortunately, most do not rely on methods as you suggest.

I am not suggesting every publication must turn into literary journals,
but as Mike pointed out recently, people do not want to read
regurgitations of news they have heard often, and people not associated
with the NFB usually do not care about our programs and initiatives
because, and we have all experienced this, they do not believe something
"blind related" is of interest to them.

Bringing an atmosphere of creativity and personal experiences is what
will open up minds-- members and non-members alike.

You said that you did not mention the Blind Driver Challenge by simply
reporting on it, but you brought relevancy to the heart of the BDC by
breathing personal reflections into the facts.

This is what I believe makes a compelling publication.

True, many of the mediums we use to disiminate information does not
archive our efforts nor does it always reach to our core, our over-all
message.  This is why I suggest newsletters do not merely report these
events-- then we are only providing the same exact info with no context.

You also say that affiliate publications allow members, who may hesitate
about submitting to the Braille Monitor, feel more comfortable, and be
surprised should their article end up in our national publication.  This
sounds great in theory, but an editor must first have submissions to
begin with to see this happen.

I am not the only one out on this limb, but I have exhausted ways in
which to drum up enthusiasm for our state publication.  This leaves me
with little to do, and I stand firm that it is not a newsletters job to
report on info that has already been distributed by many of the means
mentioned without contextualizing and reflecting on what this info
means, and how it exist in the souls of members.

In our state, at least, every news release, reminder, advertisement,
legislative hearing and issue, is distributed via email to all members
as well as listed on Newsline.  Our newsletter can be used for reminders
of events and issues coming up, but it should not exist just for this
purpose.

What you suggest is a good idea.  An affiliate newsletter should work
the way you outline, but too many lack the vision and manpower to
accomplish this goal.

Your comment that our other means of distributing info does not allow us
to reflect on the implications of things, or the personal experiences
that reach a broader audience.  I completely concur with this idea, but
once again, many do not view articles in this light, and many do not
attempt to write articles expressing this reflection.

The problem, I believe, is the lack of purpose, vision, drive and talent
with our newsletters.  I think this committee itself really needs to
outline a vision and purpose and drive the point home to each affiliate.

Later today, I will post the current issue of The Nebraska Independent.
In my editor's comments, you will find what my personal vision is for
NFB publications.  This is strictly my vision, but I believe elements of
it should be adopted for our publications to stand the test of time.

Currently, many of our publications are floundering, and all have yet to
discover a much broader audience beyond the organization.  Until we
bring in "outsiders," I truly believe the organization as a whole will
not grow.

When you look at other national organizations, they usually have
diversity among their ranks.  This gives a louder voice to their cause,
and it brings attention to their group that, otherwise, would not have
been spotlighted because not enough awareness occurred.

Until our minority can bring in the majority, we can not accomplish our
goals.  We have won many freedoms; we have drafted legislation
protecting our rights, but we have yet to seep into the mindsets of
people.  True equality can only happen when we practice diversity.

Our written word has the ability to capture the attention of the world,
but not if we don't change our vision.  People don't pick up a newspaper
to be inspired, or to find ways to affect change.  As you mention, we
must become something more so our message begins to tangle itself among
the hearts and minds of people everywhere.

Bridgit

Message: 1