[Nfb-editors] Seeking diversity

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Mar 18 23:55:35 UTC 2011

Bridgit:

C'mon now; you can't bring a topic up and then when it's discussed at length
and with some passion yell "poor me!"!  If you dish it out, you oughtta be
able to take it, too.  I don't recall anyone here saying or implying that
you aren't allowed to have your opinion nor have we said you shouldn't
express it.  We *have* argued with you and I, at least, will continue to do
so.  If I didn't think you were a good Federationist and had creative ideas
to contribute, I wouldn't bother to argue with you.

You ask whether specifying that a majority of the voting membership must be
blind is not counterproductive.  Frankly, although I admire your idealism
and admit that at a superficial level, your argument that it is makes sense,
if you ponder a bit, I believe you'll come to appreciate the absurdity of
the assertion.  Let's assume that somehow we do a great deal of outreach
and, contrary to expectation, a great influx of non-NFB members joins the
organization.  Let us further assume that they think the Federation Pledge
is just so much hot air.  Finally, let us assume that these new sighted
members form a majority of a chapter or state affiliate.  What is to prevent
this new majority from suddenly deciding that NFB policies are so much
poppycock and vote to change the policies.  For example, what's to prevent a
majority vote to change NFB's stand against most of the gadgetry used in
Extreme Home Make-over?  WE cannot assume that NFB membership automatically
results in enlightenment.  Hence, there's good reason for NFB's membership
requirements.  Withoutthem, there's no guarantee that NFB policies will
remain under the control of NFB blind members.

As I say, you are idealistic and I suspect that you cannot envision people
not immediately seeing the sense to our philosophy.  But I assure you that
there are plenty of well-meaning people who don't "get it".  Were this not
so, our goals would have been met long ago.

We keep working, though.  And I am sincerely honored to have you as a
colleague in the Movement and I value your opportunity to express yourself
just as I value my opportunity to argue with you.

Mike Freeman