[Nfb-editors] Seeking an end to the seeking diversity discussion

Wunder, Gary gwunder at nfb.org
Mon Mar 21 14:00:18 UTC 2011

Hi Bridgit. Respecting your desire to end this thread, please allow me one comment. Several times I've seen the concern we might blacklist you. We are not in the business of blacklisting anyone. No one quibbles with your expression of an opinion simply by responding to it. This is what discussion is made of--bringing forth ideas, and seeing what others think. Failure to embrace an idea I throw out says nothing about my character or that someone thinks I'm crazy or that I'm advocating anything other than what I specifically say I'm advocating.

I am going beyond your post just a bit to suggest that I see a disturbing pattern in the NFB by some who consider themselves politically astute. They withhold their opinion, feeling it only makes good political sense to do so. Then, when they can no longer contain the internal steam they've built up, they explode, lashing out at the NFB for not allowing them to speak and not being open to their ideas. It doesn't help to remind them that it was their own political take that caused them to remain silent when they had a mouth with which to speak and a brain capable of articulating their questions, concerns and positions. Having and articulating a position doesn't mean it will be accepted, but at least it will be on the table for thought and discussion, and the person who holds it will know that he or she had and exercised his right to say what was on his heart and mind and that those who care about him and the organization he values had the benefit of his thoughts.

Warmly,

Gary