[Nfb-editors] What staff is required for a newsletter

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:32:33 UTC 2011

And this goes back to what is the purpose?  Yeah, yeah, yeah, we can
inform membership and politicians on what steps we are taking to create
equality and produce more capable blind people, but if a state lacks the
ability to efficiently run a newsletter, how effective can it be?

As Lori pointed out, a good newsletter is not a one-man show.  Certainly
we can produce a product individually, but is that publication really
effecting the change we hope for?

The NFB prides itself on efficiency.  Many of our statements include
some phrasing about being efficient and what is efficient.  I understand
I am using this word literally, but should not our publications follow
similar standards?

I am not suggesting anything, persay, this is just food for thought.  My
motives lay in the fact that The Nebraska Independent is more a prestige
factor for our affiliate than it is an actual tool to be used for any
benefit other than members having something to read.

I love editing the newsletter because I am a writer and a pretty good
editor to boot, but in terms of the newsletter being a political tool,
well, it is not.

With Slate & Style there is a clear-cut purpose, and everyone knows what
that is.  For all intensive purposes, Slate & Style is a literary
magazine, and within this context, I know what the focus should be.  And
I have more creative lisence with S & S to explore non-blind related
pursuits.  We are not writing about blindness, but rather, we are
writers who are blind, and we focus on literary writing as well as
writing in general.

With The Nebraska Independent, I am never sure if I am creating a
publication specific to the membership-- supporting, affirming and
informing-- or should it be an outreach tool.  I have never been given
guidance, nor has anyone expressed a vision or outline, so I essentially
do what I want with it; obviously revolving around Federation and blind
issues.

I really don't know where this is going, or how this post is different
from anything else I have posted.  Sorry.  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 15