[Nfb-editors] Ohio "the Buckeye Bulletin" newsletter production

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 10:08:13 UTC 2011

Editors- I hadn't at first noticed that Sylvia had sent this directly to me.
Check out this process. (She took a class in graphic design. This newsletter
is in color and has pictures. MMM, someday, we need to talk more about the
visual presentation of our newsletters and yeah, why.) Also, check out the
printing option that she has chosen.

Dear Robert,

            Barbara tells me that you are interested in what I do with our
state newsletter. I have been production editor for several years. There is
nothing complicated about it. You start with various Word files. After each
one is finalized, combine them into one document and add a table of
contents. I use the same front cover and back cover. I also use the same
language about the organization on the inside front cover. There are various
layout rules to follow for odd and even-numbered pages, but that doesn't
matter at this stage. You simply want to finalize your Word file before
pulling the text into a page layout program such as Quark or InDesign.

            I hang onto the Word file until the final proofing before
sending it to the e-list. You need someone who understands graphic design to
do the print layout. It helps to have someone who is artistic for doing this
part of the newsletter, since it goes to sighted legislators and parents of
blind children, as well as state agencies. You want it to appear attractive
and professional. The layout person must be able to produce the required
file format for online printers. I have taken several graphic design classes
to help me gain the required technical knowledge, and to create a more
attractive newsletter. We have used the same local printer for many years,
but with the current budget crunch, I went to an online printer in Florida
(www.printpelican.com), which cut our print production cost by over $500.
Shipping is free, but slow. Our shipment arrived 8 days after my approval of
the online proof. If you want it fast, you pay an enormous fee. I am happy
with the final product. The paper is crisp and the color is sharp. My
Pantone colors were "right on."

            I chose full color front and back covers, and black text inside.
It was the most cost-effective way to go. I could go into more detail about
the colors and so forth if you are interested. To summarize, I used Whozit
Pantone colors along with our affiliate logo.

            I sent the electronic format via Google Groups. It was my first
time, so it took several days to figure out the settings, and to enter all
the email addresses, but now that it is set up, the next time I send a
newsletter, will be a "piece of cake." I am still struggling with how to get
my PDF to go along with the Word file. There is a 4MB limit. My two files
were under the 4 MB, but still wouldn't go.

            It is essential for the person who is producing the newsletter
to have access to an electronic database of all newsletter recipients, not
only for the final count, but for that person to produce mailing labels and
electronic versions where email addresses are required. I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

            Sylvia Cooley

            smcooley at pobox.com

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB