[Nfb-editors] Reaching this generation through social networks

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon May 2 17:51:09 UTC 2011

Tina,

I think using social networks is a good idea, but like others, I'm not sure
how to do it so it will yield results. I have my own facebook page, which
I've read and been told is essential to promote my writing, but like Bridget
wrote, I doubt people actually read it. For instance, I posted a link to an
article published in April, and 3 people wrote a comment. Maybe others read
my article, but I doubt it. Personally, i  find facebook slow and tedious
and mostly full of gossip or innane commentary, which is probably more a
statement about me as an old curmudgeon than the medium. My kids are
certainly on it all the time, as are most people under 40 these days, so
perhaps your idea of reaching out to younger members is the best way to go.

I also think Mike raised a good point. It seems to me that many blind people
are apathetic these days. The NFB has done a lot of work to make the world
better for the blind, and they don't feel the need to do anything. In my
state (CT) we are on the verge of loosing our state agency for the blind.
While hundreds of people showed up for public hearings, most were parents of
blind children or teachers of the visually impaired. There were a dozen or
so NFBers, but not nearly the response I tried to generate. Why? The
twenty-somethings in my chapter said they'd already received all the
services they were going to get, they didn't feel comfortable speaking in
public, they didn't feel like dealing with getting to and from the capital,
and so on. Apathy.I know this has become almost a theme on this list, but
how do we light the fire to get people interested? Maybe I'll start a rumor
that the tea partiers want to kill SSDI...

chris