[Nfb-editors] article feedback

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Mon May 2 19:29:34 UTC 2011

I think it was excellent.

Joyce  Kane
Blindhands at AOL.com

In a message dated 5/2/2011 3:07:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ckuell at comcast.net writes:

Hello,  editors. Below is an article I drafted a week ago for our state
newsletter. While I stand by every word, my gut is warning me that it may
be
too harsh, too judgemental. Any thoughts? All comments, suggestions,
criticisms are  welcome.

Thanks,

chris

Blindfolded

By    Ira Tating

You know what I hate? Granted, hate might be too strong  a word, and my
mother did warn me dozens of times never to use it, but  'dislike' or 'find
irritating' or 'have an aversion to' just aren't  powerful enough to convey
how I feel about the following situation. You  are at a place, and the time
is perfect for a teaching opportunity. Maybe  it's talking to a group of
fourth graders, or a troop of boy scouts, or as  happened with me recently,
waiting to testify before the Appropriations  Committee of the state's
General Assembly. A well-meaning blind person  uses this opportunity to
influence the public by saying something like-I  challenge you to wear a
blindfold for 24 hours. Go ahead-I dare you. Put  yourselves in our shoes
and
see what it's like to be blind, the challenges  we face every single day,
and
so on.

We've all heard it done, maybe  even done it ourselves. The speaker wants
the
listeners to appreciate what  their life is like, to simulate blindness
even
if only for a few minutes,  and gain the listener's sympathy. And it drives
me nuts. Because while you  may get their sympathy, what you are really
going
for, either consciously  or subconsciously, is their pity. It is painfully
revealing about the  speakers attitude and acceptance of their vision loss.
Whenever I hear the  "wear a blindfold" speech, I think to myself-there's a
person that's  really saying, "Poor, pitiful, blind me. Feel sorry for me."

My  reaction at this point is two-fold. First and foremost, it's a lie. Of
course putting on a blindfold will make life difficult for a sighted
person,
just like taking away any sense would. But it's not a realistic  portrayal
of
blindness. Very few people are struck instantly blind, and  even when it
happens, they can change their life paradigm and learn the  skills that all
successful blind people have. They can learn how to travel  independently
with a cane, to read Braille, to use technology, to do all  the things they
used to do but in new ways. Obviously that doesn't happen  within the first
24 hours-it takes time, practice and  persistence.

The truth is, blindness is not a tragedy, and no pity is  required or even
desired. I know I sound like a broken record at times (do  people even know
what those are anymore? Maybe I should say a CD with a  dust particle on
it)
but I know that with proper training, a positive  attitude, and equal
opportunity, nothing can get in the way of what a  blind person can achieve.

Which brings me to the second reason I cringe  when somebody talks about a
blindfold. It is always done as a teaching  tool, at what I think of as a
learning moment, when the speaker has that  rare opportunity to change the
misconceptions held by the sighted public.  When they could be saying that
blind people can do anything, that we know  blind doctors and lawyers and
artists and computer programmers and  teachers and trainers and scientists
and writers, that blind people travel  independently all over the world,
have
families, do volunteer work and  contribute to their communities-they
choose
instead to say "It's so-o-o  hard being blind. Pity me."

There are two major obstacles which face  every blind person. The first is
themselves-their attitude, their life  philosophy, their determination and
belief in what they can accomplish.  The second is the sighted public who
hasn't had positive interactions with  a blind person before, and holds the
common misconceptions that to be  blind is equivalent to being completely
helpless, lost, less capable than  a child. Pitiful.

The first obstacle is best addressed by spending time  with capable,
competent blind people like those in the NFB. Learn from the  things they
say
and do, and push yourself to reach further. With each  success, you will
gain
confidence and start to believe.

Changing  society's misconceptions is far more daunting. The only way to
accomplish  this is to take advantage of those teaching moments when they
come your  way. Throw away that useless blindfold and reach out with your
cane. Put  out your hand proudly and teach the truth about blindness. Make
the  listener rethink everything that movies and books and cartoons and
comedians have impressed on them regarding blind people. Only then can we
affect the change we want in the  world.

Nfb-editors  mailing  list
Nfb-editors at nfbnet.org