[Nfb-editors] Reaching the younger generation

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 19:30:50 UTC 2011

I agree with Mike.  I don't think the younger generations are lost, at
least not yet, but I do think the world in general needs to prepare to
grow and change in order to fit into new clothes.

With the Federation and other groups, there is too much apathy.  Like
Mike said, some of us may have to be shocked out of our complacency.  I
think a lot of it is the lower expectations that are growing more and
more prevalent.  We have "dumbed" our society down so much that we think
this is just how it has to be.  Our social, professional and academic
mediums are responding to this dumbing-down, and I think it is a part of
the apathetic nature developing in younger people.

It once was students and younger people who led revolution.
Universities were the headquarters for demonstrations, rallies and
information sources during the Civil Rights era.  Even 10, 15 years ago,
students had the loudest voice during the bombing in eastern Europe
during the 90s and the war in Iraq in the beginning.  Culture-- art,
music, literature, etc.-- were reflecting their position, but this
passion has been lost.  You just don't see anyone facing problems this
way in western culture anymore.

To bring this back to the immediate discussion, I think technology
should and can assist groups like the Federation in reaching the world
with our goals and ideas, but it is a balance, and we need to learn how
to use this new, growing medium. Communication no longer exist with the
same formats and methods.  We need to adjust and change our thinking in
terms of communication.

Perhaps this is something  the Federation needs to ponder.  Maybe a
group needs to be created that will specifically research the trends in
social media and how to effectively use it so that we can meet the
younger generations using this technology without changing the core of
the Federation.

I also think we might have to be willing to accept slow growth in our
membership in order to continue the goals of the Federation.  Membership
is difficult all around, but perhaps we will have to learn, for a time,
to exist on meager membership, but build the strength of our message so
that when membership trickles in, we still are expressing the
foundations of the NFB.

Who knows what the world will bring in the future.  Exciting things are
happening, we just need to adjust with the changes.

Bridgit

Message: 3