[Nfb-editors] Food for Thought: Presenting Our Message asTheater

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri May 6 03:23:26 UTC 2011

Tina:

You may well have an idea there.  However, I confess that I'm a bit dubious.
With all due respect to Jerry whittle's plays, I'm uncertain whether a play
can convey the sort of subtle thinking and dilemmas that we face every day
-- such as whetehr the failure of an employer to provide access technology
constitutes discrimination against a prospective employee (I do not think
this is necessarily so although current law makes it ambiguous since it
calls for "reasonable accommodations") or whether the absence of certain
things we, the blind, would find useful such as tactily-identifiable
currency  constitutes discriminatory treatment.  I'm sure a play could be
designed to convey such things -- after all, we have Shakespeare as a model
of how to convey moral dilemmas -- but the play would be too long to fit in
the time allowed or the young audience would put up with.  Braille Is
Beautiful had an enviably simple message; the sort of thinking I wish to
stimulate is much more complicated.  WE used to discuss such questions
endlessly while listening to recordings of banquet speeches, presidential
reports and other touchstones of NFB literature.  But people don't seem up
for that sort of mind-stretcher these days.

But I admire you for thinking out of the box.

Mike