[Nfb-editors] Article feedback

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 05:04:52 UTC 2011

Mike,

I understand your point, but my reasoning for mentioning this is not to
create poetic language in an attempt to be creative.  We have to learn
how to explain the concepts that make the NFB what it is to those not
familiar with them.

Our language-- motto, tagline, phrasing, etc.-- is understood by us, but
it does not always translate to the public.  We have to have the ability
to retain the message, but break it down in laymen's terms.

And I speak from experience here as someone who has experience with
public relations especially PR writing.  Using the same language over
and over does not draw people in because it becomes boring.  Again,
things like taglines and mottos must stay the same because that is all
part of the brand, but when constructing literature, it only behooves
the group to be creative and fresh in its approach.

I also find it interesting that we would not change our language, but as
a brand, which is how people identify a group, we have no uniformity.
Affiliate and division websites are all over the place, affiliate
newsletters follow no standard, I would say more, but I don't feel like
being that controversial tonight.  *grin*

Trust me, regurgitating phrasing and language is not what people
recognize and identify in an organization.  This is just not how the
world works.  This is why any PR firm pushes branding.  The Federation
lacks this.  Not at the national level-- at least as a brand-- but
everything after that follows no uniformity, no standard.

When you think about a product or group you like, I bet you recognize
the brand-- colors, logos, taglines, etc.-- but you can not necessarily
identify language specific to it unless you are working/involved with
it.

Just food for thought.  I know some will take this as an insult, but it
is meant as suggestions to strengthen.

Bridgit

Message: 1