[Nfb-editors] Reaching this generation through social networks

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon May 9 17:46:25 UTC 2011

Hi Tom:

I agree with most of what you say about social media.  At the risk of
seeming defensive I will disagree with what you say about mailing
lists, or listserv's.  A number of states have very dynamic and
useful lists, including, but not limited to Washington, California,
Missouri, Illinois, Florida, Michigan and others.  It is primarily an
internal tool, where web sites, Facebook, and Twitter, to a lesser
extent, are external or both internal and external.

Minnesota's lists are an announce-only list, and the "discussion
list" is hidden, so no wonder a low membership and usage.

Each medium has its strengths and weaknesses, no one is ideal or
universal.  Lists are not a complete communication solution, but if
appropriately used and nurtured, can be a valuable part of the mix.

Dave