[Nfb-editors] NFB logos/divisions

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 23:46:21 UTC 2011

Mike,

I understand what you say, and I can see your point to a certain extent,
but I disagree that divisions having the logo with incorporated elements
would become confusing and only create a "hodgepodge" of divisions.
Again, it is still the NFB logo, which would not change itself, but an
added element would just identify what division/group a communication
was from.

Ultimately I don't think it is a huge deal either way.

I agree about the NFB being "one movement," but divisions have sprouted,
and many of them work to further goals that either do nothing to promote
equality (I mean in a political sense) or direct their goals in a
different direction.  In theory, I think the divisions can be good, but
the truth is that they do not bring in the attendance desired, and the
philosophy begins to water down with many members brought in through
divisions.

This is just life and I understand this, but I have seen a broad
spectrum of views on NFB philosophy in different divisions, and often it
is not up to par with Federation philosophy.  I do not blame the leaders
of divisions for this, but I do think divisions need to ensure that a
positive and progressive philosophy is being instilled, and that it is
clear that each division is an extension of the Federation, and that NFB
standards and rules will apply.

It is sad to me when I see Federation news or philosophy posted on a
division email list only to be met with people ranting about how it is
off topic or does not belong on this list.  In my opinion, anything
pertaining to the Federation and blindness is appropriate for any
division and its email list.

While the divisions work to draw people in because of a particular
interest, I don't think many of these people have any interest in the
Federation as a whole.  This also goes for chapters and affiliates.  We
need to work to bring a more unified voice to the organization.

When people join a chapter or affiliate or division, they must
understand that they are joining the Federation.  It is important they
have a clear idea of the goals and mission of the NFB.  It's like when
you get married- you're not just marrying that person, but the family.
I know a lot of NFB division members who do not consider themselves
Federationist, and in my opinion, this is very flawed.

Not everyone understands that the Federation is a political group, and
its first priority is to pursue equal opportunities for the blind.  Not
everyone cares about this either.  We've discussed this before, but I
would rather have a smaller group who is dedicated to this goal, than
have a large membership, but who mostly cares nothing for furthering
these efforts.

Now, having said all that, divisions do have the potential to draw
members in who might not otherwise be interested.  I'm not sure, though,
how some divisions can express the political action as the most
important goal.  I admit I have mixed feelings on the existence of most
divisions.  If it were the other way around where people joined the
Federation than later became involved in interest groups, it may work
better.  But usually it is the other way around, and sadly, not enough
of these people have a heart for the priorities of the NFB.

I do find that the parents of blind children, student and guide dog
divisions are essential.  These groups work towards sub-goals as the
Federation obviously can not direct its attention towards every aspect
vital to the life of blind people.  These groups are able to focus on
one area and cultivate action within that topic.  For the most part, I
believe these divisions are maintaining Federation goals and philosophy,
though of course, they are not perfect.

This is where I think affiliates and chapters are failing.  I think it
is their responsibility to draw the brunt of membership in and instill
that philosophy.  This is not the best analogy, but we don't have kids
skip grammar school before jumping into college where they can choose
what major they want.  To me, the chapters are like grammar school- they
work to bring in fresh members, and try to instill a positive
philosophy.  Then we have more members who understand what we do and
why.

Perhaps this makes no sense, most likely.  *grin*  I think my point is
that divisions are great for those of us who get what the Federation is
about, and we just enjoy the company of others who share our interest.
We need to pump chapters up and get them to understand this direction.

Here is my issue.  We can work to correct society's thinking about
blindness, but if blind people don't believe it, it doesn't really
matter what society thinks.  We have to change what it means to be blind
for the blind before we can truly change the minds of the non-blind.

I think the chapters are the foundation of this organization, and more
new people should be brought in through chapters and not divisions.

Okay, I'm rambling and lost my point long ago.  *smile*

Bridgit
Message: 1