[Nfb-editors] New Affiliate Newsletter! by Oklahoma

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 03:34:45 UTC 2012

National Federation of the Blind

of Oklahoma

457 N. Blackwelder

Edmond, Ok 73034

www.NFBOK.org

Official Newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma

Volume 2, Issue 1,

January-February 2012

Contents

1. Editor’s Note

2. A Message From the President

3. Callie Chappell goes to the Louisiana Center for the Blind (LCB)!  An
interview

4. Make Your Voice Heard

5. Getting started with the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch

6. Chapter News

7. Calendar

*****

Editor’s note

Audrey T. Farnum

 <mailto:secretary at nfbok.org> secretary at nfbok.org

Greetings, I hope everyone had a great holiday and wish you well for the New
Year. We start the year off with information about the NFB training centers,
accessible voting and an introduction to using an iDevice with Voiceover. I
hope you find the information helpful. As usual, I am always open to article
ideas and submissions. Send articles, ideas or questions to
<mailto:secretary at nfbok.org> secretary at nfbok.org.

*****

A message from the President

Jeannie Massay

Much of my own research and that which interests me is primarily focused on
human perceptions.  While that topic might not interest you in particular,
it is not how we see, smell, touch, etc. that interests me but rather the
ways in which we think, feel and interact.  After having lost vision, I
certainly noticed that there was a huge disparity between how I thought
people, in general, reacted and interacted to and with me, before and after
vision loss.  Going to restaurants, and shops, I soon found, that wait staff
and sales people asked my friends or family what I wanted or what I needed.
Strangers would grab my hand, and tell me to not worry that they would help
me out.  For a while, I thought that this was what life would be like as a
blind person.  I had never met a blind person before.  I knew that a white
cane and Braille were involved but at that time, I did not know that there
were any other blind people around.  I finally met other blind people in
Oklahoma,  mostly good people with good intentions but somewhat misguided
perceptions and philosophy about blindness.  I felt alone and depressed
about what I thought the rest of my life would be like.

I went to get some blindness skills training.  That was the first thing that
gave me a clue as to the possibilities that existed for me. In retrospect, I
would have chosen a different program for training than I did at the time. I
went with the information that I had.  While my training offered excellent
orientation and mobility, an introduction to Braille and assistive
technology, along with basic homemaking skills, I was not exposed to a truly
alternative philosophy about blindness, not yet anyway.

I did figure out that I would be able to return to school and pursue a
Master’s Degree. Something I had planned on doing for quite some time.

Fast forward a few years.

In graduate school, I began searching for grants and scholarships to
supplement my income while in school. I found that the national Federation
of the Blind had an awesome scholarship program.  I thought that, you know,
being such an excellent blind person, that I would get a scholarship.  I was
wrong.

However, that year, I actually went to my first NFB of Oklahoma convention.
I was nominated to be on the affiliate board, yes, at my first function.
That ended up turning out pretty well.

Long story, short, I attended my first National convention not long after
that.  My great epiphany came about while there in Dallas.  For the first
time, I understood that it was a combination of how others saw me but more
importantly, how I saw myself. There were blind persons from every state,
from literally, every occupation, from rich to poor and everywhere in
between, blind lawyers, blind teachers, blind merchants, blind computer
programmers, blind psychologists, blind moms and dads, grandparents and
kids.  Blindness does not define the blind; we are a cross-section of our
nation as a whole.  It was exhilarating and freeing to be in the presence of
so many other blind people who, clearly, believed what I had been suspecting
for some time then: blindness does not have to be a tragedy.  The real
problem of blindness is not blindness itself but the misperceptions and
beliefs that the public, and sometimes, the blind themselves, have about
blindness. So, what does this have to do with my interest in human
perception?

Everything!

WE often, all of us regardless of circumstance, allow our perceptions of
ourselves to be based on the perceptions or misperceptions of others.  WE
allow others to do things for us because we do not want to hurt their
feelings, make them angry or upset.  We get the skills that we must have for
the present, not planning on what we will need in the future. We assume that
someone else will educate the server who because of a lack of education or
misperceptions on her part, ask your friend or family member questions that
you are perfectly capable of answering.  We hope that someone will talk to
the little girl who innocently asks what that stick is when you pass by her
at the grocery store. We talk about what the agency should do.  We talk
about being treated unfairly.  We talk about what the NFB should do. We do
not, however, do for ourselves and the other blind in Oklahoma and our
nation.  WE want for someone else to do it, we do not have time, we are
afraid to commit.  Surely, there are others who will do the work, make the
calls, send the e-mails, staff the committees, find other blind people
etc.

My own education is a continual process.  I have learned that, for me, and
for many others in the National Federation of the Blind, that we choose to
be strong, independent people, in charge of the direction that our canes
point and lead us.  We have come to understand that it takes all of us ,
together, changing perceptions, changing the way that we perceive ourselves,
changing how we choose to let others perceive us , ultimately changing what
it means to be blind.

What do you choose for yourself?  What do you choose to let others perceive
about you? What kind of blind person do you want to be?  The choice is
yours.

Join us at the next meeting close to you.  We invite you to find out more
about what and who we are.  Do not let misperceptions and misunderstanding
keep you away from discovering the truth about the people and mission of the
National Federation of the Blind.  Find out for yourself. Contact me with
questions or REQUESTS FOR MORE INFORMATION. I am happy to speak to anyone
about what I have found and am happy to be a part of in the National
Federation of the Blind.

I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Jeannie Massay, President

 <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org> Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org

*****

Callie Chappell goes to the Louisiana Center for the Blind (LCB)!  An
interview

By Jeannie Massay

Callie Chappell, a member of the Central Oklahoma Chapter, will soon be
headed to Ruston, Louisiana for training at the Louisiana Center for the
Blind (LCB). Callie and her Mother, Sandy Chappell recently visited LCB to
tour the facility and learn more about the program. This interview is the
first in a series as we follow Callie through her experiences. We’ll check
back with Callie during her training and afterward to get her thoughts on
gaining her independence.

Q: How did you decide that you wanted to go to the Louisiana Center for the
Blind?

A:  I made the decision by first learning about LCB by word of mouth,
talking to my State President and Pam Allen.  I met Pam at the national
convention in Orlando in July of 2011.

Q:  What was your visit like to LCB?

A:  We stayed in the dorms across the street from the apartments near the
center.  We got to hang out with Brooke Anderson from Tulsa and some of her
friends.  Brooke gave us a tour of the facility, which was awesome.

Q:  What was your favorite part of the visit that you and your Mom took to
LCB?