[Nfb-editors] Spring/Summer Connecticut Federationist

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 23 22:29:02 UTC 2012

The Federationist

In Connecticut

"The Blind Speaking for Themselves"

Chris Kuell, Editor

Spring/Summer 2012

The real problem of blindness is not the lack of eyesight. The real problem is the misunderstanding and lack of information which exist. If a blind person has proper training and opportunity, blindness is only a physical nuisance. The National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut is a state affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and works to improve the lives of blind people in Connecticut. By providing information and education to its members and the public, the NFB of Connecticut is changing what it means to be blind.

Table of Contents

Why I Believe in the NFB

Walking Mirrors

Hadley School Offers New Business and Entrepreneur Courses

Portrait of a Gentleman

Why I Am A Member of the NFB!

Blind Americans Equality Day

New Director of NLS appointed

What The NFB Means To Me

2012 Washington Seminar Review

New App For Braille Texting

Satisfy Your Artistic Flair

Miscellany and Notes

Why I Believe in the National Federation of the Blind

By Roberto 'Bo' Diaz

I am truly honored to have this opportunity to express why I believe in the National Federation of the Blind. It would be impossible to overstate the impact that this organization has had upon my family and me.

After losing my eyesight while a firefighter, I was thrust into a world of uncertainty and fear. Finances, the ability to provide for my family, and the ever-present possibility of losing my home are some of the concerns that I faced. Amongst the many passions I was forced to sacrifice were motorcycles, golf, scuba diving, competitive darts, and softball. However, thanks to the NFB, I not only developed a new perspective, but also a new sense of purpose.

I have always been enamored with the thought of pursuing my education and teaching American History. So, after a thirty year absence from the classroom, and a great deal of apprehension, I re-entered academia. As I immersed myself into my studies, I did so primarily with the help and support of my family, faith, limited assets from state agencies and school personnel. Though I was making strides, there was one enemy that was constantly lurking in the shadows, self-doubt. In the past, I have always relied upon my ability to recognize solutions to obstacles which appeared before me, but this was different. I had no frame of reference, other than being in the dark of a forest, night diving in the depths of the ocean, or searching in the stress filled confines of the darkness not many associate with fire. Facing this new challenge was only possible by asking myself, "What is at stake, and the price of failure?"

Then I applied for an NFB scholarship, and a new chapter in my life was written. From the moment I researched NFB and my initial contact with the Connecticut affiliate, it has been a nonstop journey of enlightenment and empowerment. I am not alone, I have shed all doubt, and have met some of the kindest, and most dedicated people imaginable, whose passions are unsurpassed.

Winning this award and joining the NFB has solidified my resolve and bolstered my confidence on several levels. As a white American of Spanish and Puerto Rican descent, former Marine and firefighter, blind, and over fifty-five, I would like to think that I embody several diverse characteristics representative of the student population. Thanks to the NFB, my wife and daughter also share a measure of the hope and enthusiasm so pervasive throughout the organization. I am seen by them in a new light. I am again highly motivated, and highly dedicated.

As a Marine, our motto is Semper-Fidelis, from the Latin meaning always faithful. As an organization, the NFB is always there, in peace and war. So, continue to study, continue to serve, if I can do it, so can you! Thank you NFB, and that's why I'm a believer!

Walking Mirrors

By Brad Dunse

Twenty years ago, I was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa. From that day forward, life has been an incredible journey of personal heartbreak, discovery, growth, joy, success, and a host of life learning experiences. One such continual lesson comes from personal behavior in reaction to events surrounding us, and the conduct of others. How and why people react the way they do in certain life situations.

Particular to this writing is my reaction to the varying affects we have as blind individuals on the garden variety sighted human. Why the varied responses to our personal exchange with them out on the street, in the workplace, or grocery store? What compels one person to physically grab your white cane, attempting to pull it in the direction they'd like you to go, while yet another will carry on a walking conversation without concern a cane is even present?

Why is it one person will awkwardly try to help, leaving you witness to their spilled purses, dropped grocery bags, or crashed shopping carts as pseudo-heroics cause them to trip for the door prior to your reaching for it? Yet another honestly addresses the elephant in the room, admitting they've never encountered a blind person before, so if help is needed, they'll just rely on you to say so?

Why is it one waitress will ask your dinner-mate what it is you want off the menu as if you were an incapable toddler, while another will simply pull a pencil from behind the ear, flip a page back off the notepad, poke the pencil down on the paper, look at you and say, "Okay Hun, what can I get you?"

When I first came to learning about blindness, having much usable vision and carrying a sighted person's perspective, I may not have known or even thought of how I might handle myself in the company of a blind individual. But without question, I'd treat them with dignity and respect, in the same manner I try to treat anyone.

In this same time frame, I observed tirades from blind individuals as a result of their frustrated reaction to stereotypes and assumptions from people they met on the streets who treated them like helpless dotes.

I remember one incident involving a blind lady I knew who was getting on a city bus. A fellow passenger offered to help her. And in this particular case, the individual trying to help was really not that far out of line in my opinion. More chivalrous than patronizing. Nonetheless, the blind woman's demeanor horrifically snapped in front of the entire busload of people, really letting the well intentioned passenger have it good.  That scene was indelibly etched in my mind and caused me a considerable amount of consternation. Though I was disappointed by the reaction of this woman positioned as mentor, I was not judgmental of her, I was simply trying to understand her response to a well-meaning person.

Of course, over time I learned more about mobility skills and encountering sighted folks who reacted out of ignorance. Often times these encounters take on a belittling atmosphere of social helplessness, gaining intensity as well as audience the more it is allowed to continue. I began to understand how shear repetition of having to deal with it could become quite annoying.

The woman on the bus whose temper exploded at the well-meaning passenger reminded me of the very first time I got on an email discussion list as a new information highway passenger. My very first mass internet communication, and I was excited to try this new medium out. It was going to be awesome.

Not long after subscribing, a net acquaintance forwarded me a virus warning. You know--one of the hoaxes out there which some folks are driven to pass along... just in case. Well, knowing no better, I passed it straight up to the email list like a helpful, responsible and yes, ignorant person might do. Within minutes I was berated in front of the entire list, pretty badly I might add.

I was quite angry, upset and even hurt. I was only trying to help, just trying to be a responsible person, because seeing someone fall prey to this so called virus when I could avoid it was unthinkable. My first reaction was to assume "Geez! People on these email lists are rude, angry and just not very nice people at all. If that's the way they are going to be, I'll let them to their own misery!" Of course, over time and many discussion memberships later, I learned how often virus forwards occurred and how it took up people's valuable time. Such posts become repetitious aggravations, which this person happened to have had just one too many such posts with mine.

After the fact, like the person sending the nasty email, I understood the reason for the blind ladies' over reaction on the bus. Still, I vowed I did not want to give that first impression to someone trying to help. Even if their help was out of ignorance, just like I was with my virus warning. Even if it was out of a needless sense of pity or inappropriate sense of superiority, I did not want to just hand over my emotional control to someone by hyper-reacting to their behavior. Neither did I want to make them feel as I had   with my well-meaning yet ignorant post to the discussion list.

I then began to question and discover why this happens. Why the differing reactions like the ones mentioned earlier?  Maybe I'm wrong; maybe it is uniquely limited to my experience, or perhaps living these years as a blind person has yet to teach me more in this area. Or in fact, maybe it is merely a perspective that isn't an absolute, but a generalization which serves my purpose for my own outcomes and education of dealing with such sighted folks.

At any rate, I've come to believe that to others we are not blind people at all. They really do not see "us" as blind people. What they do see is "themselves" as a blind person in our encounter with them. What do I mean? The reason they react as they do is sort of a dual mirror. They see a blind person across the street happily tapping along a sidewalk, for instance. What they also see ten feet directly in front is the stone planter smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk. However, what they really see is themselves as the blind person, based on their own lack of experiential reference and knowledge. They know without a doubt, if they were that blind person, there would be one heck of a bloody crash. To avoid their feeling this way, they holler across traffic "Watch out for the planter in front of you!" As if you could inherently know they were talking to you in the first place. You see they don't see "us", but they see "themselves" as the blind person in our shoes.

The second mirror is this: Remember the person who grabbed your white cane to direct you while in a walking conversation? Conversely, do you remember the person in the same situation that didn't give your blindness a second thought? Think about those two people for a minute. Was the one grabbing for the cane a weak type of person who is a bit insecure? A bit unsure in life? One who   is themselves dependent? A person a bit undecided in life?  A soul ambling through life directed by situations surrounding them?

Or perhaps the opposite side of the same coin, someone with a know-it-all facade? Someone with a quiet or bold attitude of superiority? One appearing to be strong by always being right? Someone over the top in bold dominancy? These types are likely over compensating for those same insecurities as those outwardly appearing weak, just in a quite different way.

What then about the person who carried on oblivious to the cane and its meaning as they continued walking and talking with you? What can we say about them? Were they a solid silent type? Someone fairly sure of themselves? A competent person? A risk taker perhaps? Someone who enjoys a challenge? Perhaps themselves balanced in independency? A methodically confident person? My guess is they probably are some combination of these traits.

Respective to the above types, the same can be said for the one tripping over themselves to open a door, and the opposing one who exposed the apparent elephant in the room. Same goes for the waiter or waitress that asked your friend what you want for dinner, compared to the pencil wielding waitress with the no nonsense attitude.

So what is the usefulness in knowing this? For me, at least, it is tremendously helpful to understand another person while in conversation or doing daily business. I am forever reading other people, unfortunately forgetting their name two seconds after we meet, because I'd been reading what they are really about the whole while.  But for me to understand who they are and why they do what they do, is tantamount to helping me react in a way that will empower or positively enable me to utilize the encounter to my emotional or future advantage. Even if it serves the purpose, I won't lose control, fly off the handle in the moment, or get sarcastic with them. Even if it simply keeps me on top of the conversation or situation, because I know when I get out of control, invariably fear is present someplace.

I really have nothing to fear encountering any type of insecure sighted person as a blind individual, and can remain in control through my own security. As a result, I am free to treat them in a more constructive manner.

So you see, we are really just walking mirrors, which, when other's see us, they see themselves based on their own security or insecurity in life. And the process enables us to see their reflection of themselves, with the advantage of handling the situation to our emotional gain. We decide for ourselves who really needs the pity or help in the situation, and conduct ourselves accordingly. It really is a humorous trick on our part, but since they've initiated it with their response to our presence, why not finish it using it to our gain, and truthfully the good of all.

Brad Dunse is a free lance writer and performing songwriter from the nation's heartland, located in the greater Twin Cities Minneapolis-St. Paul area. You can reach him for inquiries at 715-760-0712 or stop by his web site at www.braddunsemusic.com

Hadley Offers New Business and Entrepreneur Courses

As of September 2011, the Forsythe Center for Entrepreneurship is open for enrollment. The goal of this new business, entrepreneurship and technology program is to provide individuals who are visually impaired with the knowledge, resources and networking opportunities enabling them to advance in their careers or to successfully launch and grow their own businesses.

Ten courses are open for enrollment:

  a..  Self-Employment with a Minimal Investment
  b..  Business Fundamentals
  c..  Business Communications
  d..  Business Law 1
  e..  Business Law 2
  f..  Business Writing
  g..  Using Excel
  h..  Screen Readers: Listening Skills
  i..  Screen Readers: Web Browsing
  j..  Screen Readers: Formatting Word Documents
Six new modules are also open for enrollment:

  a.. Market Research
  b.. The Financial Plan
  c.. The Marketing Plan
  d.. The Business Plan
  e.. Business Insurance
  f.. Forms of Ownership
Hadley is embarking upon this program, in part, to address the deplorable employment rate among people who are visually impaired. Although statistics vary somewhat, the most reliable data sources suggest that the under- or unemployment rate of persons who are blind or visually impaired is 70 to 80%.

The program is designed to be practical, relevant and interactive. Courses are open to anyone who is blind or visually impaired, over age 14 and is serious about starting or growing a business. Coursework is offered free of charge and is mostly online.

To learn more and enroll, please visit http://www.hadley.edu/fce.

PORTRAIT OF A TRUE GENTLEMAN

By Esther Levegnale

There is that old expression which says, "A picture paints a thousand words".  I'm sure that at various times in our lives, we've all created pictures in our minds of, say, what a person looks like physically, how a person comes across to you in their speech, personality, etc.  We also create images in our minds of how different people think, act and build their lives around us, enabling us to create not only physical images, but, more importantly, mental images of them.  In this presentation I would like to create for you a portrait of a particular person who was very well known both inside and outside of NFB.  The person to whom I am referring was known, by birthright, as Francis Gerard Meunier, Jr., but who was known to all of us as Frank Meunier, Jr., whose untimely death occurred on December 29, 2011, at the age of 68.  According to the obituary in the Hartford Courant, "he died peacefully in his sleep."  I would like to preface my portrait of Frank by giving you some background on him, and it was quite a background indeed.

He was born in Hartford, CT, and attended the Oak Hill School for the Blind, also located in Hartford, and graduated from Weaver High School in 1961.  He then attended Bard College in Annandale on Hudson, New York, and graduated from there in 1965, receiving a BA in religion while also studying voice, opera and sacred music. He also received a MA degree from the University of Ohio in Athens, Ohio in the fields of European history in 1967. Also in his studies, he did additional graduate work at Central Connecticut State University where he studied secondary education and earned his Connecticut State Teaching Certificate in 1969.  In addition, Frank taught history and English at the St. James School, a private boarding school in Berlin, Connecticut.

In the town of Wethersfield where he resided, he was a life-long member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Old Wethersfield and was a devoted member of the choir. He was greatly involved in community life, and his many activities included leadership roles with the Connecticut affiliate and Greater Hartford Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind, and the Wethersfield Town Committee for People with Disabilities. He did volunteer work for the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped in Rocky Hill, was a member of a social and entertainment organization known as SENSE, and was the host of the local television show Connecticut Welcomes You.

Besides all his community work, he was a recipient of the God and Country Award from the Boy Scouts of America and on occasion provided guidance to local Boy Scouts with various merit badges. All of us who knew Frank were well aware of his love of music and he shared his vast knowledge through his tutoring and lectures on opera, religion and Gothic architecture, specifically in the areas of English and French cathedrals.

As for my personal "portrait", I had known Frank since my days at the Oak Hill School and not only was he very intelligent, but many of his talents came to light, particularly in his acting ability in our Glee Club's performance of "The Lonesome Train", a play dealing with President Lincoln's journey by train from Washington, D.C., back to his homeland of Springfield, Illinois, after his death.  Frank had to give a quote as presented by Mr. Lincoln in this play, and his delivery of this quote was beyond superb.

Frank was quite unique in his personality, and he was a very warm, caring and compassionate person.  He never spoke ill of anyone and he was a genuine and sincere gentleman in the true sense of the word.  Without a doubt, he will be greatly missed.

Why I am a Member of the NFB!

By Al Daniels

Have you ever felt down about being visually impaired? Well, I have. There are many things that affect a person's sense of well being at any one time. I was so down I needed help to be able to combat depression. The NFB was able to supply me with the inspiration to face my difficulties. I heard what the NFB had to say and I said if those people can do what they do, I should be able to face my life.

All people are different in some ways, and there are many who have impairments. Some are not as lucky as I am. The people in NFB are positive against all odds.

Blind people are found in many walks of life. I do not want to be a rocket scientist, but if I had the desire, I would receive encouragement and support from fellow NFBers.

I realize that other members may have other reasons for belonging, like socialization, political, occupational, or just plain convenience. Then, there is the reason, "What can I give to fellow NFBers?"

Compassion is a very underrated motive in today's society. What can I do for other people who are visually impaired? I know that I am a comparatively small person in the scheme of things that we know of as the world today. However, I may be able to assist other people who are like myself, because I have been there.

It, once again, may be a self-interest to teach others. Yes, I get a sense of accomplishment if someone can benefit from my experience, and not make the mistakes I have made. There is something to be said for a person who can learn from the mistakes of others. Yes, I belong to the NFB.

I am proud to be a member. The reasons are many and these are only a few. I am glad to write an essay on this topic, and everyone who does will have different reasons. Thanks for the opportunity.

>From the Office of the President, October 14, 2011

BLIND AMERICANS EQUALITY DAY, 2011

Generations of blind and visually impaired Americans have dedicated their passion and skills to enhancing our national life -- leading as public servants, penning works of literature, lending their voice to music, and inspiring as champions of sport. On Blind Americans Equality Day, we celebrate the achievements of blind and visually impaired Americans and reaffirm our commitment to advancing their complete social and economic integration.

My Administration is dedicated to ensuring Americans with disabilities have every opportunity to reach their full potential. Last year, I signed the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act to set new standards that enable people living with disabilities to access broadband, digital, and mobile innovations. To help level the playing field for employment, we are working to improve the Federal Government's compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Making electronic and information technology 508 compliant will give applicants with disabilities a fair chance and allow employees with disabilities to use necessary tools while on the job. By taking these steps, my Administration reaffirms its pledge to openness by making sure that people with disabilities can better access all the information the Federal Government has placed online.

This year also marks the 75th anniversary of the passage of the Randolph-Sheppard Act. For decades, the legislation has provided openings for blind Americans to work as vendors on Federal property, creating meaningful entrepreneurial opportunities and enabling them to contribute to our economy.  These jobs have enriched the lives of those participating in the Randolph-Sheppard program and enhanced public understanding of blindness for those who have interacted with the program's vendors.

Though we have made progress in the march to equality for the blind and those with low vision, there is still more work to be done. In addition to improving access to technology and employment opportunities, this January, I signed the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act. This landmark legislation requires electric and hybrid car manufacturers to add sounds to alert all pedestrians to the presence of these unusually quiet vehicles.  These provisions will help increase the safety and independence of blind and visually impaired Americans.

By joint resolution approved on October 6, 1964 (Public  Law 88-628, as amended), the Congress designated October 15  of each year as "White Cane Safety Day" to recognize the  2  contributions of Americans who are blind or have low vision.  Today, let us recommit to forging ahead with the work of perfecting our Union and ensuring we remain a Nation where all our people, including those living with disabilities, have every opportunity to achieve their dreams.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2011, as Blind Americans Equality Day. I call upon public officials, business and community leaders, educators, librarians, and Americans across the country to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

BARACK OBAMA

New Director of NLS Appointed

Librarian of Congress, James H.  Billington, recently announced the appointment of Karen A.  Keninger as director of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), effective March 26, 2012.  Keninger succeeds Frank Kurt Cylke, who retired from federal service on February 28, 2011.

"Ms.  Keninger's qualifications and experience are superb for this position," said Billington in announcing the appointment. "She has demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking throughout her career."

Since 2008, Keninger has been the director of the Iowa Department for the Blind, a leading provider in the United States of vocational rehabilitation and independent-living programs and library services for blind and visually impaired individuals.  Keninger was selected from an impressive pool of candidates following an extensive search process that began last year.

"Keninger is no stranger to the NLS program," Billington noted. "She is a highly respected administrator and a leader in the NLS library network."

As director of the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped for eight years, from 2000-2008, Keninger managed the statewide library program, the machine-lending agency, instructional materials center, braille production, and audio production units.  Keninger's initiatives included the planning and implementation of a new, in-house digital recording program with a state-of-the-art recording studio and a corps of volunteers to expand and transform the state's audio-production program.

"Keninger has a proven track record of collaboration and innovation," said Billington.  She served on the Digital Long-Term Planning Group established by NLS in 2001 to guide planning for the now successfully completed digital talking book transition, and on the successor Digital Transition Advisory Committee.  She led the transition in Iowa from analog to digital talking books and players and was successful in securing funds for the digital conversion of locally-produced talking books.

She is a daily user of the full range of information technologies for the blind and visually impaired, including Web-Braille, digital talking book machines and books, and online download services.

Throughout her career, Keninger has established and maintained effective working relationships with a broad range of individuals and organizations at the national, state, and local levels.

Keninger was elected 2012 president of the National Council of State Agencies for the Blind.  From 2002-2008, she served as chair of the Consortium of User Libraries.

Keninger holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from Drake University in Iowa and a master's degree in English, business and technical writing from Iowa State University.  She completed graduate courses in library and information science at the University of Iowa.

Karen Keninger was born and raised in Vinton, Iowa, the third of seven children in a happy and lively farming family.  When she was 16 months old her parents discovered that she could not see very well, and she was later diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa.  Although she had some vision as a child, she was completely blind by the age of 20.  She attended school at the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School in Vinton, graduating in 1970.  In 1973 she graduated from Drake University with a B.A. in Journalism.

In 1987, after many years as a full-time homemaker and mother, she established a freelance writing service in Newton, Iowa.  As part of this effort, Keninger went back to school and graduated in 1991 with a masters degree in English with an emphasis in business and technical writing from Iowa State University. She continued her freelance work until 1995 when she accepted the position of Rehabilitation Consultant with the Iowa Department for the Blind.

In 2000 she was promoted to Program Administrator for the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.  After eight years in that position, she was appointed by the Iowa Commission for the Blind to the position of Director of the Iowa Department for the Blind.

What The NFB Means To Me

By Agnes Allen

          It has been said that it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. Perhaps this truth or a similar one was in the minds of seven blind individuals when they met in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania in 1940. Their mission was to change what it means to be blind, and to improve the quality of life for the blind. These were the founders of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) the organized movement, which today numbers over fifty thousand members. But why did we need the NFB?

          At the time of the 1940 landmark meeting, many blind people were living in darkness and isolation. Rejection, discrimination, and prejudice were commonplace. The NFB was determined to change this dismal and dreary picture.

          During the early and formative years of the NFB, I was a high school student at Western Pennsylvania School for the Blind in Pittsburgh. I attended Mt. Mercy College and I did well as an English Major with a Speech Minor, and a Student of Education. I was hoping to find employment as a certified teacher. But upon graduation, when I applied for a teacher's certification, I was denied. The Board wondered what would happen if a fire broke out in the classroom. Had its' members not heard of fire drills?

          If I had known about the NFB, I could have overcome this rejection and would have been the proud bearer of a formal teacher's certificate. Another inspiration was to become a speech therapist. But when I approached an instructor in the Speech Department, she said that it would be necessary to see the faces of my clients.

          Upon receiving a BA degree in June 1948, I intended to earn a Master's Degree from the University of Pittsburgh. With my background in literature and my interest in reading, I flirted with the possibility of receiving a Masters in Library Science. Once again I was rejected. If the NFB had been available, who knows what I might have become? A classroom teacher, a speech therapist or a librarian. Most certainly the NFB would have defended my cause and more than likely one of these dreams would have been fulfilled.

          Despite my efforts to find employment in the sighted world, I was destined to remain within the bounds of the blindness field. I do not regret having to work with the blind. It is with them that I have been engaged for many years of my working life.

          The point I wish to make is that according to NFB philosophy, with the proper training, a blind person can pursue any path in life. Just because one is blind his employment need not be restricted to work with the blind. With the evolution of the NFB, a person who just happens to be blind should find security, opportunity and equality in whatever area or profession he or she chooses.

          Thank you, NFB, for your untiring effort to raise the blind out of the morass of rejection, prejudice and degrading attitude of the public. May your shining light continue to brighten the lives of the blind.

The 2012 Washington Seminar Review

This year's Washington Seminar was held February 5 -9, and was attended by nine Connecticut Federationists. They included President Beth and Charlie Rival, Bruce and Betty Woodward, Barbara Blejewski, Trevor Attenburg and scholarship winners Justin Salsbury, Brenton Fuchs and Bo Diaz. The Seminar consisted of several events, including a special training session for parents of blind children, a meeting of the Blind Merchants division, an NFB Center tour, the annual gathering of blind students, and the legislative seminar.   The three primary agenda items presented to our elected representatives were: the fair wages for people with disabilities act; the home appliance accessibility act; and the American's with disabilities business opportunity act.

In short, a provision in federal law allows workshops to pay thousands of disabled workers less than minimum wage, and this practice needs to stop. More and more modern appliances are being manufactured with touch-screen and other inaccessible controls, which leaves blind consumers with fewer and fewer options. We must demand that manufacturers consider people with vision impairments when designing appliances. Finally, with a 70% unemployment rate, one of the best ways for blind people to find work is to start their own businesses. If the government were to urge the purchase of goods from blind merchants, it could put a lot more blind Americans to work.

Even if you weren't able to attend this year's Washington Seminar, we urge you to call and write your national representatives and voice your concern over these issues. Never forget that there's power in numbers, and we are a powerful force indeed.

New App For Braille Texting

New technology to help blind people text using touchscreen mobile devices has been developed. Researchers at Georgia Tech produced the app - to be made available on Apple and Android devices - based on the Braille writing system. It is claimed typing with the app is up to six times faster than existing methods for texting without sight. Access to technology for the visually-impaired is a growing issue due to the proliferation of touchscreens. Experts say currently available tools, such as Apple's Voiceover technology, are functional but too slow to be used effectively.
Brailletouch, which the team hope to release in April 2012, uses a system that is controlled with six fingers and, crucially, does not require any movement of the hands.
"Users who know how to type Braille well never move their hands," explained Mario Romero, lead researcher on the project.
"When users hold the phone they hold the phone with the screen facing away from them in landscape mode." They wrap the index, middle and ring finger in each hand around the phone.
"It's not like the Qwerty keyboard where you move up and down. That's why this thing works - we can get away with only six keys."
Eyes-free kit Brailletouch will be free and open-source, its makers say, and it is hoped it could even become an "eyes-free" solution for fully-sighted people who want to text while visually pre-occupied with something else.
"Learning to type Braille is learning to memorize where the dots fall," Mr. Romero told the BBC. "It took me and my colleagues a few hours to memorize things so we could start typing at around 10 words per minute. It's not something that takes years. We're hoping that, if not Braille, a similar system may solve the issue of having too many keys that are too small that force everybody to look at the screen when they're typing."
However, Mr. Romero was quick to dampen any possible hopes that the software could be used to text while behind the wheel.
"They need to concentrate on what they're doing. This is not for texting and driving," he said. 'Truly blind' Mr. Romero highlighted a growing anxiety shared among the blind community that the widespread adoption of touchscreens for many machines and devices is making them "truly blind".

"There is extreme concern about this new trend."A lot of equipment today - from copying machines to machines at the gym, are all coming with touch screens."
He added that while research into tactile screens - which give users feedback by moulding - is taking place, we are still some way from having touchscreens which adequately cater for the visually-impaired.
"Blind people say I 'see' things with my fingers," Mr. Romero said.
"But on touchscreens, they are truly blind."

 Satisfy Your Artistic Flair or Make Some Extra Money

by Ramona Walhof

 Although only three years old, the Krafters Division of the NFB is probably the most active of the thirty NFB divisions. Federationists may wish to know more about its activities, and some may wish to join.
 President Joyce Kane from Connecticut has done crafts all her life. She knits, crochets, makes clothing and quilts with her sewing machine, does safety pin beading, and is interested in all sorts of other arts and crafts. Joyce lost her vision fourteen years ago and began looking for and creating techniques to do the things she had always enjoyed in order to continue doing them without vision. She joined the Federation and was soon elected to office in her chapter and state affiliate. She was president of her chapter in southern Connecticut for eight years. Joyce made contact with other blind crafters and found that most had experience and ideas to share. Several years ago she contacted President Maurer about forming an NFB division. He recommended she hold an organizing meeting at the 2008 convention.
 Before that meeting Joyce had recruited officers and board members from all over the country. Dr. Maurer asked me to help the group write its constitution along the lines customarily followed by NFB divisions. I didn't think I had time for one more activity but was elected to the board and now serve as secretary. This division is different from others in which I have been active, and it is a lot of fun.
 By the time of the organizing meeting in 2008, Cindy Sheets of Kentucky had agreed to develop a website: www.KraftersKorner.org. Laurie Porter of Wisconsin and some others had agreed to teach classes by conference telephone. Diane Filipe of Colorado brought handmade ceramic Braille pins to sell at the 2009 convention as the first division fundraiser. Before organizing, the group had already begun holding Monday night chats by conference phone calls each week, and in 2012 these chats continue.
 The listserv, nfb-krafters-korner was established before the division was organized. Today approximately 150 people are subscribed to this list, and it is one of the most active of all the nfbnet lists now in operation.
>From 15 to 40 messages may appear on this list most days. Topics cover crafts from quilting to pottery, from crocheting to weaving, from making Christmas decorations to using the sewing machine. Some of the topics discussed during December of 2011 were candy wreaths, blocking knitted items, crafts that can be done one-handed for someone about to have surgery on her shoulder, crocheted cupcakes, snowmen made on the knifty knitter loom, gumdrop trees, sewing rags for rugs, and on and on. To join this list, go to www.nfbnet.org and select the link entitled Join or Drop NFBnet Mailing Lists.
 President Kane is always eager to recruit volunteers to teach classes. Frequently three or four classes are taught by conference call each week. Some classes are complete in one hour, while others stretch over three or four lessons, each lasting from one to two hours. During 2011, twenty-nine classes were offered and completed. Anywhere from three to fifteen students can be in a class.
 As usual Joyce was recruiting teachers and students last fall. After some thought I realized there might be some interest in machine sewing, but we had to find out whether members had access to sewing machines. It turned out that some people did. They had to learn how to thread their machines before the class began. We couldn't teach that by phone to people using a variety of machines. Each student in that class now has a new apron. Both Joyce and I were very pleased that we could explain the techniques by phone, and the students were also happy. As you might guess, Joyce is encouraging me to teach another class, this time on making T-shirts as a means of teaching techniques used to sew knitted or stretchy fabrics.
 On the listserv, problems are posed and answered by other crafters. Members have learned new crafts and new methods. Newly blind people have gained confidence and ideas for pursuing the craft activities they wish to master.
 We have heard many stories of individuals who have conquered fears or other problems. One member, Jewell Boll from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, sold her sewing machine when she lost her sight and is now excited about taking up sewing again. She wants to tell those who are newly blind not to become angry and frustrated. She says that, if she had been in touch with more blind people when she became blind, she would have done things differently. She is looking for a machine to purchase and has sought opinions on the listserv about various models.
 Another member, Lynda Lambert from Pennsylvania, was a painter and was depressed and angry when she became blind four years ago, but she is now enthusiastically producing large and beautiful pottery and beaded items. She held an art show displaying her work last fall and received compliments from those who visited. She also sold several pieces at satisfactory prices. You may wish to check out her website, http://lyndalambert.com. Lynda has a lot of ideas, and she entertains other listers as she shares her experiences. She says an artist just can't stop being an artist, even when she has to turn to a different art. Her standards are high, and that will not change. Lynda also knits and does other arts and crafts.
 Another painter who lost her vision continued to knit dish cloths while recovering from her surgery, but this was not enough of an outlet for her love of art. After some training at BLIND, Incorporated, in Minnesota, Jeanny Nylander returned home to Lacrosse to find that her husband had bought her a potter's wheel. She had taken pottery in college and enjoyed it. She contacted Joyce Kane and Lynda Lambert through the Krafters Division, and pottery has become her new art. She is again making and selling art. Both Lynda and Jeanny are extremely complimentary about the opportunities they have discovered from each other and from the division. The two led a discussion about pottery for other crafters and taught a class in January of 2012 by conference call. They are planning to teach other classes in coming months. Both say that artists have a need to share ideas and techniques.
 Another crafter, Jaselli Walter, uses clay that does not need to be fired. She has led a Monday night chat about this, and members are eager to learn more about what she does. Division members are encouraged to list items they have made for sale on the first and the fifteenth of each month. We have plans to make sales opportunities available on the website as soon as possible. The group also makes items for charities.
 Becky Frankeberger from Washington State taught a Tunisian crochet class in January and February, using an email list.  Becky is a machine knitter and has gone into business selling items she has made. See her work at www.butterflyknitting.com. A write-up on her and her work appears on
www.KraftersKorner.org.
 Representatives from a group of blind quilters have joined the list, and I am sure we will learn more from them.
 Division dues are ten dollars per year and may be paid directly to the treasurer, Diane Filipe, 1455 44th Avenue Place, Greeley, Colorado 80634, or pay using PayPal on the website, www.KraftersKorner.org.
Classes are free to members, and they are described ahead of time on the website. Anyone who has questions or suggestions should contact President Joyce Kane at (203) 378-8928 or email her at blindhands at aol.com. All those interested in arts and crafts should come to the division meeting at the convention in Dallas this summer. I believe we will also have a display and sale of handmade items Saturday afternoon, the day before the exhibit room opens. Please check your agenda for times and locations. Plans are moving forward for a busy week. If anyone has requests, don't be shy. We can't guarantee to do everything you can dream up, but anything could happen.

Miscellany and Notes:

As of October, 2011, all Triple A offices in Connecticut are permitted to grant and renew Connecticut non-drivers license ID cards. The offices are located conveniently around the state, and may offer shorter waits than at DMV facilities. A six-year ID costs $22.50, and Triple A tacks on an additional $2 for the service. Triple A offices in Connecticut are in Avon, Branford, Cromwell, Danbury, Enfield, Hamden, Manchester, Milford, Old Saybrook, Plainville, Stamford, Waterbury, Waterford, West Hartford and Westport.

New Hadley Course: Self Employment with a Minimal Investment

The Hadley School for the Blind is now offering a course with all the ins and outs regarding starting your own business, through the Adult Continuing Education Program. The course is taught on-line and is free to people who are legally blind. Contact Hadley Student Services at 1-800-526-9909 or visit the website at www.hadley.edu

NFB Scholarship Winner Recognized

Bo Diaz of Naugatuck, CT, has been awarded the Outstanding Scholar of the Year for the Continuing Studies Programs at all UCONN branches. Bo won a 2011 National NFB Scholarship as well as a 2010 and 2011 NFB of Connecticut state scholarship. He credits the NFB and all of our support for part of his success. Way to go, Bo!