[Nfb-editors] Advice for new editor

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:13:07 UTC 2012

Robert and Ms. Smith,

First, really pay close attention when editing. Make sure everything is
grammatically correct and formatted properly. I recommend incorporating
a visual element to your newsletter as one, it is the intention of
Federation publications to be distributed outside the NFB, meaning
sighted people will read it as well, and two, it brings a professional
and creative element to a newsletter. It can be a graphic and/or
pictures, and it can be as simple as adding color and playing with font
and placing of title.

I also recommend you find a creative approach allowing your newsletter
to stand out and be different. When I was editing the Nebraska
Independent, I used more essay-based articles rather than straight
reporting-like articles. We receive info in so many communication
formats these days, I wanted a more personal aspect to news and events
happening within the Federation as well as outside. I wanted to
entertain and enlighten as much as inform.

I also started selecting themes for each issue. For instance, one issue
would revolve around alternative skills, another, around specific
legislation, etc. This helped contributors narrow their writing topics,
and it brought a cohesiveness to the newsletter.

Don't be afraid to speak up even with the affiliate board. A newsletter
is not produced by one person alone. Affiliate leaders must be involved
in the process. In my experience, many people wanted a newsletter but
few wanted to assist in any capacity. Be vocal about concerns you have
and what direction you hope to take your newsletter in.

Lastly, have fun with it. If you only have five articles for one issue,
don't stress, you only have five articles that issue. If you have more,
wonderful. Oh, and despite what others say and think, no professional
publication requires a senior editor to ghost write or fill in material
with their own writing. This is not the job of an editor; trust me, I
know this as my degree is in writing. If you choose to use a piece you
write, great, but an editor shouldn't have to "fill" up space by writing
articles just because there is not enough material. And if a person
doesn't have the time, or inclination, to write their own article,
again, it's not the job of an editor to ghost write an article for said
person.

You may have to be creative when editing some articles as not all
contributors will be writers. Make it clear that as editor, you have the
right to cut, revise and edit in any way you see fit. If a submission
just requires way too much editing on your part, my opinion is do not
use it. Again, as an editor, it's not your job to use a poorly written
article and have to basically rewrite the entire piece.

So, it's a big job but can be rewarding if you have the drive and
determination. Hopefully you have a couple of assistants. Have fun, be
creative and know what you want as editor.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan