[Nfb-editors] Ohio Buckeye Bulletin(Sprig Winter 2012)

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Mar 16 13:14:01 UTC 2012

Winter Spring 2012

Buckeye Bulletin

A publication of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

Barbara Pierce, Editor

237 Oak Street

Oberlin, OH 44074

bbpierce at pobox.com

(440) 775-2216

Dr. J. Webster Smith, President

(800) 396-6326 (NFBO Office)

jwsmithnfb at frontier.com

P.O. Box 458, Athens, OH 45701-0458

http://www.nfbohio.org

Voice of the Nation’s Blind

          The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a 501 (c) 3 consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our personal experience that with training and opportunity it can be reduced to the level of a physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive the services and training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States, enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about blindness. Join us in educating Ohioans about the abilities and aspirations of Ohio’s blind citizens. We are changing what it means to be blind.

          The NFB of Ohio has fourteen local chapters, one for at-large members, and special divisions for diabetics, merchants, students, seniors, parents of blind children, and those interested in Braille. This semi-annual newsletter is produced in large print and on CD and is circulated by email. For information about the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio or to make address changes or be added to the mailing list, call (440) 775-2216 or email <bbpierce at pobox.com>. For information about NFB-NEWSLINE, our free digitized newspaper-reading service, call (866) 391-0841. Local NEWSLINE numbers are: 330-247-1241 (Akron), 330-409-1900 (Canton), 513-297-1521 (Cincinnati), 216-453-2090 (Cleveland), and 614-448-1673 (Columbus)

Table of Contents

>From the President’s Desk

by J.W. Smith

Convention Wrap-Up

by Shelbi Hindel

NFB of Ohio Awards for 2011

by Barb Fohl

The 2011 NFB of Ohio Scholarship Winners

by Barbara Pierce

Teacher Leader Seminar 2012

by Marianne Denning and Debra Baker

Fundraising Made Easy

by Carol Akers

2012 NFB of Ohio Committee Assignments

Buckeye Briefs

Calendar of Events

>From the President’s Desk

by JW Smith

          As I enter my fourth year as president of the NFB of Ohio, I find it necessary to reflect on the first three years. In fact, a West African proverb says, “It takes about three years to see the earth move,” loosely translated as, “It takes about three years to adjust adequately to a significant change, either personally or organizationally.” Therefore, for this column I would like to give you an abbreviated version of my president’s report at our sixty-fifth annual convention, held last November in Dayton.

          My first year as president might be summed up in the statement, “Money may not be everything, but it sure does help.” In many ways it seems like a long time ago when our record attendance at the national convention in Detroit in 2009 allowed Ohio to finish fifth in the nation. It did help that the convention was in Detroit, making it geographically appealing for many of us Buckeyes, and the fact that it was in Detroit, a city that we had not been to in a long time. Quite frankly, however, we used our significant financial resources to help many of our members attend that convention. If memory serves me correctly, we had over thirty first-time attendees, largely because of our ability to help fund their experience. In my first year as president we sent a large delegation to the Washington Seminar and conducted significant chapter-building and revitalization activities. We also did an initial search for a new field representative. Times were good financially, although not as good as they had once been. Any organization needs finances to help committed members achieve its goals. Little did I know that before my first year as president was completed, our financial situation would be drastically altered.

          If year one taught me about the significance of financial stability, my second year as president taught me a lot about partnerships and valuable collaborative efforts. It was quite rewarding to me to be able to solidify an effective relationship with the Rehabilitation Services Commission (RSC) and, more specifically, BSVI in an effort to find funding for both our mentoring program and NFB-NEWSLINE®. This relationship required some effective communication and the building and maintenance of bridges in an effort to plug the gaping financial gap that we were experiencing. I cannot tell you how much face-to-face and electronic communication was necessary to keeping those lines of communication open and facilitating this new collaborative relationship. As you might expect, there is a great deal of paperwork and bureaucracy to get through when dealing with state agencies.

          Year three taught me that people really don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. In fact, it’s all about people, family, and friendships. My relationship with other NFB-O leaders was strengthened as a result of our united recommitment to this organization. I hesitate to mention names here, but I can’t avoid it in some cases. Year three taught me just how blessed we are to have the commitment and wealth of experience as an affiliate in the presence of Barbara Pierce. It taught me how valuable our treasurer Sherry Ruth is to our affiliate and that no amount of money or connections can replace genuine trust, integrity, and love. Eric Duffy, in my estimation, has grown as a first vice president, and I have found myself increasingly dependent upon and appreciative of his advice and guidance. Finally, Richard Payne, who many of you know has always been close to me, showed me in my third year what “putting your money where your mouth is” really means. I also recognized how valuable and productive our board is and how blessed I am to have such a committed and creative group of individuals to lead and work with.

          So as we head to year four, where are we, and where do we want to be? Clearly we must find ways to fund our movement, and this must be the goal for all of us--not just a few. We have forged a meaningful relationship most notably with RSC and BSVI. I mean, the fact that they are funding NEWSLINE is a result of that continued successful relationship. But we must forge other relationships if we are to remain the viable entity that we’ve always been. We have no choice but to love and treat each other with respect, humility, and genuine appreciation. I remember when I first came to Ohio in the middle 90s, and even as we approach the twenty-first century, Barbara Pierce cautioning from time to time that one day our financial situation might not be as healthy as it was now, so we should prepare for that day as much as we possibly could. I think that we all knew that day might happen, but I don’t think anyone knew or could have anticipated how some of us might react. It was evident to me at our convention last fall that the spirit of harmony and family that has always characterized our affiliate is alive and well. It was a great convention, and I’m looking forward to a great year in 2012. We will emerge from this year and this challenge more united and effective than ever before.

Convention Wrap-Up

by Shelbi Hindel

          Editor’s note: Shelbi Hindel is secretary of the NFB of Ohio. Here is her report of the 2011 affiliate convention:

          The theme of the 2011 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio was "Blindness: That's How It Is at the Top of the Stairs." That is the title of a powerful speech by the late Kenneth Jernigan, longtime president of the National Federation of the Blind. Not far into the convention it became clear that an underlying theme was "jump." The convention took place at the Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel in Miamisburg, Ohio, during the weekend of November 4 to 6.

          Thursday evening began with a fund raiser focusing on near death experiences. Linda Manley is a nurse at a large hospital in Columbus, and she has spent many years studying this subject. She donated her time to the organization, and we asked attendees for contributions. The event was well attended.

          The exhibit area opened at 11:00 Friday morning, and the board of directors meeting began at noon. As is usually the case with NFB conventions, the day was packed with activities. During the afternoon a seminar for parents of blind children, a membership workshop, and a philosophy seminar all took place. Friday evening was jumping with a variety of meetings. The At-Large Chapter met, as did the merchants division and the nominating committee. We tried something new called Hobby Lobby. This was an I-always-wanted-to-learn session. One could get very basic instruction in knitting, card games, hair braiding, and more.

          The merchants division sponsored the hospitality suite. There was plenty of food, and all who came had a good time. Karen Whalen and Steve Vincke deserve special recognition for their work in the suite. We hope they will be willing to take this project on again at the next convention.

          Also that evening the Not the Royal Shakespeare Company provided us with a real treat. As a way of raising money for the National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB), several affiliate leaders reenacted an episode of the old-time radio play Fibber McGee and Molly. All readers used Braille scripts. The cast and the audience had a great time with lots of laughs. Bob Pierce directed the production, and we certainly appreciated his hard work. Plans now are for this group or some variation thereof to perform again next convention.

          The Diabetes Action Network (DAN) jumped right into Saturday morning with a 7:00 a.m. breakfast meeting. The primary discussion centered on the importance of proper foot care for diabetics. NAPUB also got off to an early start with a breakfast meeting. Braille gets people excited, so it's easy to get up early to talk about the importance of Braille and what we can do to educate everyone dealing with blindness about its value.

          This year’s national representative, Ever Lee Hairston, delivered greetings from President Maurer and a report from the national office. She discussed legislation of importance to all of us, the upcoming Washington Seminar, the Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest, and much more. Tracy Grimm from the Ohio Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled jumped right into her first NFB of Ohio convention with a lively report. She said that the National Library service is developing an app for the iPhone. Ohio has a good supply of digital machines. Many library users are using the BARD website to download books.

          In a moving yet funny address, Sheri Wells-Jensen, an associate professor at Bowling Green State University, discussed some of the obstacles she faced as she obtained an education, became a home owner, and took up her role as an active member of her community. She said, “I did it anyway.” In a humorous way she reminded us all that much of our success in life depends on our own ability to overcome public attitudes about blindness.

          Dan Connors, director of the Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, told us that the Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission is committed to maintaining a separate and strong BSVI. Although money is tight, the agency has made internal changes to focus more money on case services. Parents, students, and seniors met during the lunch break. These divisions conducted their annual business meetings and began planning for the upcoming year.

President Smith began the afternoon with his report to the convention. He talked about the challenges and successes the organization has experienced during his presidency. In spite of major financial changes that have been out of our control, we remain strong and united as an organization.

          Barbara Pierce talked about the ultimate mentoring experience. She was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work directly with Dr. Kenneth Jernigan. She said Dr. Jernigan was a strong and gentle teacher who had a profound influence on her life.

          Dr. Mary Anne Joseph once served as president of our Southeast chapter. She discussed the path to earning her doctorate and getting her current job as a rehabilitation counselor for the Virginia Department of the Blind. Everett Gavel discussed his experience as a student at the Louisiana Center for the Blind. Everett said that he went through many years of hard work to get to the Louisiana Center for the training he needed. Much of that time was spent trying to get BSVI to pay for his training. He moved to Louisiana in order to get training, but said it was well worth all that he went through. Not only did he learn the skills of blindness, but he developed a great deal more self-confidence.

We discussed NFB Scrip Ohio, a new fundraising program for the affiliate. Everyone can help contribute funds to the affiliate without spending extra money. See more about this program elsewhere in this issue. Dr. Sandra Kimball gave a very informative presentation on blindness and diabetes. She talked about proper management of the disease. Many people said that they wished that she had had more time on the agenda.

          Eric Duffy and Dr. Amy Doll concluded the afternoon session by discussing their work with the Wright State Research Institute and what they will be doing with transition-age students in southwest Ohio. This is a partnership between Wright State, Goodwill Easter Seals of Dayton, the Ohio State School for the Blind, and the Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission. Eric served as master of ceremonies for the annual banquet. National Representative Ever Lee Hairston gave a very inspiring banquet address. Awards and scholarships were presented. See the articles elsewhere in this issue.

          Sunday morning began with a leadership breakfast. This was an opportunity for chapter and affiliate leaders to get together to discuss ways to grow the organization at the local and state levels. The General Session began with a memorial service honoring those members of our Federation family who had died since the last convention. As they would expect us to do, we transitioned from sadness and reflection to carry on Federation business once we had honored and remembered those who we knew had passed on.

          Gus White told us why he is a Federationist. Gus understands the importance of collective action and enjoys being a part of the Federation family. The following members were elected to the board of directors: Sheri Albers, Debbie Baker, Susan Day, Deborah Kendrick, Richard Payne, and William Turner. President Smith thanked Annette Anderson and Mary Pool for their many years of service on the board of directors. After the election Barbara Pierce and Paul Dressell had fun remembering and discussing the history of the organization. This included major changes that were made to the constitution during the early years of the Pierce administration.

          During the Sunday session we also had a brief discussion of NFB-NEWSLINE, a report from the treasurer, and a discussion of education for blind children today. This was a convention characterized by energy, enthusiasm, and unity. The hotel and its staff were accommodating. Do what you can to be at our next convention, and perhaps you will learn why "jump, jump, jump," could be heard throughout the convention.

NFB of Ohio Awards for 2011

by Barb Fohl

          Editor’s note: NFB of Ohio Second Vice President Barb Fohl chairs the affiliate’s awards committee. Here is her report of the 2011 awards presented at the banquet on November 5:

          The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio presents its awards both to honor the hard work and commitment of the recipients and to inspire the entire organization to embrace the NFB’s philosophy and rededicate ourselves to improving the lives of blind people across the state. The first award I presented at the 2011 banquet on Saturday evening, November 5, was the Chapter Gavel Award, given to a chapter that has done outstanding work in many areas of Federation activity. This year’s recipient gained in membership, boosting its rolls from twenty-two to thirty-three, which means that eleven new members joined. In describing how they promote the goals, philosophy, and activities of the NFB to their own members, they listed eight activities, which included maintaining phone and email contact with members to inform them about meetings and concerns and giving new members packets that contain information about the NFB and blindness as well as the Ohio resource list.

          In discussing how they promoted NFB to the general public, they listed ten activities, which included an informational meeting at a local library. Six hundred invitations were sent by the Ohio Library for the Blind to Dayton area borrowers. Several speakers talked about blindness, services, and products. Several new members joined. The chapter had a technology banquet in December and distributed informational packets.

          Its civic activities included a member who gave a speech to a gathering of 200 at the House of Bread, a soup kitchen, addressing health needs and blindness. One member worked with two blind homeless people to get canes and then gave them referrals to Goodwill and Easter Seals. They gave several hospitals referrals, and the hospitals continue to contact the chapter when they have blind patients.

          Advocacy activities included the following:

Two members answer a local NFB phone line helping direct blind people to the services they need.

One member owns rental property and tries to help those in need of social services get in touch with the correct agency.

One member tutors her granddaughter, who is visually impaired, and another member taught basic JAWS skills to a blind person.

          The chapter actively participated on the local, state, and national levels of our organization, and they conducted three local fundraisers. Finally, in describing why they think they are a better chapter today than they were last year, they said that in their community they are considered to be a first responder, not a final call for help. I was proud to present the 2011 Chapter Gavel Award to our host affiliate, the Miami Valley Chapter.

          I then presented the Ruth Garwood Award to a sighted person who has provided outstanding service to blind people across the state. A recipient of this award need not be a member of the NFB, although this year’s recipient was a member. He has received and read the Braille Monitor since before the year 2000. He believes wholeheartedly in our insistence that “The National Federation of the Blind is not an organization speaking for the blind; it is the blind speaking for ourselves.” He is passionate about the right of those with visual and other disabilities to speak for themselves rather than surrendering to the will of human services and medical professionals. Thus in response to the articles he reads in the Monitor and to NFB literature that he distributes to many people with whom he comes in contact, he has attended the last several NFB-O conventions and at least one national convention.

          In 2006 he awarded a charitable remainder unit trust to the National Federation of the Blind—stock securities—the value of which was $440,000. Since the year 2000 he has also given an annual $1,000 to the NFB of Ohio through the current year 2011. He recently sent $100 to each of the active chapters of the NFB of Ohio to help fund projects to improve academic achievement for blind students in grades K-12.

          He has just completed his first term on the board of directors of his chapter. He attends meetings regularly and helps provide transportation to and from the meetings. He has financed and sponsored audio descriptions for various musicals and children’s programs offered during the Summer Arts Festival at Veterans Park during its annual June-July season.

          On behalf of the Awards Committee I was delighted to present the Ruth Garwood Award for 2011 to Robert G. Merkle of the Springfield chapter. As I told Bob while he made his way to the podium, my committee, the nation’s blind citizens, and I all thank him for his genuine passion in promoting our philosophy.

          My final duty that evening was to present the Knall-Garwood Award, which is given to a Federation member who has provided loyal and continuous service to the NFB of Ohio. The recipient probably figured out who she was as soon as I began speaking because she was the only one on the committee who didn’t know I was presenting a third award. The recipient founded her chapter a little over a year ago and won the 2010 Gavel Award its first try. The chapter has continued to grow, embarking on such projects as a voter registration drive, reaching out to blind residents of the Springfield Masonic Home, and actively promoting the reading and writing of Braille.

          Debbie Baker has vigorously encouraged chapter members to participate in state and national activities. She personally helps members to complete the necessary paperwork for obtaining financial assistance to state and national conventions; at the same time she makes them aware of their responsibilities when attending meetings and participating in other activities.

          Debbie noticed that Gracie—our virtual traveling companion—was not announcing Dayton on Greyhound’s information line. Rather than complaining, she notified the Springfield bus station personnel, and shortly thereafter the announcement was being made. For her effective participation in local, state, and national activities, it was my privilege to present the 2011 Knall-Garwood Award to Debbie Baker, member of the NFB of Ohio board of directors, activist in Braille instruction, and inspiration to us all.

          In July the call will go out for Gavel Award reports and nominations for individual awards. I encourage every chapter and division to give careful attention to preparing a report and everyone to consider whom we should honor with our various awards.

The 2011 NFB of Ohio Scholarship Winners

by Barbara Pierce

          The NFB of Ohio presents two scholarships each fall. The winners are introduced at the board meeting that opens the convention, and the scholarship committee then tries to ensure that the winners get around and meet people throughout the weekend. On Saturday evening the committee chair presents certificates to each winner and invites them to speak briefly to the banquet audience. This year’s recipients were Shivaji Kuhmar, winner of the $1,500 Jennica Ferguson Scholarship, and Ryan Beyer, winner of the $1,000 NFB of Ohio Scholarship.

          Shivaji Kuhmar is vice president of the Capital Chapter and a doctoral student at the Ohio State University. He is writing his dissertation on the impact the emergence of India and China as world powers is likely to have on international relations in coming decades. This was not his first convention. When he came to Ohio State, he felt the lack of blind friends, so he researched consumer organizations and decided that the NFB was the one for him. He learned the dates of our convention that year, which was in Cincinnati, and got on a bus to attend it. He has been increasingly active in the NFB since.

          Ryan Beyer graduated from Perry High School last spring and entered the University of Toledo in September. He plans to major in mechanical engineering. In addition to carrying an impressive academic load of advanced placement courses and a lot of math and science, Ryan was a diver on his school’s swimming team and captain of the cross country team. He uses a cane in unfamiliar places like his college campus, and he depends on JAWS to work on the computer. He did not know much about the NFB before he applied for our scholarships, but he now says he is looking forward to getting to know the folks in the Science and Engineering Division.

          We enjoyed getting to know both of these young scholars better, and we look forward to hearing great things about their future work

Teacher Leader Seminar 2012

by Marianne Denning and Debra Baker

          Editor’s note: Maryanne Denning is a teacher of blind children who lives and works in Cincinnati. This is her second year of teaching visually impaired students in the public schools. She had been a rehabilitation teacher. Debbie Baker is now retired after thirty years of teaching blind students. They took part in a program for professionals and parents at the Jernigan Institute in late January. Here is their enthusiastic report on the weekend:

          In conjunction with the NFB’s new PIBE division (Professionals in Blindness Education), the NFB Jernigan Institute sponsored its first Teacher Leader Seminar during the weekend of January 27 to 29, 2012. Participants included teachers of the visually impaired, certified orientation and mobility specialists, NFB leaders, paraprofessionals, and parents of blind children. The program began Friday afternoon at 3:00 in the auditorium with welcoming remarks from both Jernigan Institute Executive Director Mark Riccobono and NFB President Marc Maurer and then an explanation of what the NFB can offer teachers.

          The weekend agenda included sessions under sleepshades for participants cutting a log with a chainsaw and cooking on a gas grill. Tours of the Independence Market and the International Braille and Technology Center for the Blind were also offered. Interested participants could observe a structured-discovery lesson in orientation and mobility. Presenters addressed issues relevant to the education of blind students with multiple disabilities, early childhood education, caseload management for itinerant teachers of blind students, the pros and cons of various types of specialized and mainstream technology, and hands-on science. These last sessions were specifically designated as STEAM, since they included science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics.

          Ann Cunningham of the Colorado Center for the Blind introduced and presented hands-on sessions with her sensational blackboard to create tactile graphics. Doctor Edward Bell of Louisiana Tech University and various NFB leaders presented an overview of the upcoming National Reading Media Assessment, which will allow teachers of the visually impaired to determine with high validity and reliability whether a student should read and write Braille or print or be dual readers and writers of both media. As part of Friday evening’s networking session, seminar participants also heard snapshot presentations of the lives of successful blind adults.

          Throughout the weekend participants were invited to comment on an ongoing planning forum for the seminar. Comments on Twitter, Facebook, and the forum provided the agenda for an unconference that occurred on Sunday from 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. On the door of each presentation session location was a QR code. Participants were invited to use their smartphones or iDevices to take a picture of a QR code. Doing so took the participant directly to the Teacher Leader Forum website, where he or she could comment on the weekend or suggest a topic for the unconference. As participants visited the forum throughout the weekend, they could volunteer to lead a discussion of a particular topic that had been suggested on the forum. Or they might volunteer to collaborate with other participants in leading a topic of interest.

          Participants were invited to the Town Hall Meeting that occurred before the actual beginning of the unconference agenda. Since the potential agenda for the unconference was brainstormed all weekend on the Teacher Leader Forum, the actual final unconference was not planned until the Town Hall Meeting. The entire unconference agenda was then posted on the Teacher Leader Forum and also projected on the wall of Members Hall West in the Jernigan Institute. Marianne Denning attended the discussion and demonstration of iDevices, and Debra Baker attended the brainstorm and discussion of the overall criteria for becoming a successful and productive blind adult and the expectations required.

          Participants were encouraged to complete an online survey to evaluate the worth and success of the Teacher Leader Seminar and to suggest programming for future seminars for teachers. Both Marianne and Debra thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, and both hope to continue networking with colleagues in the education of blind students and adults.

Fundraising Made Easy

by Carol Akers

          Editor’s note: Carol Akers is president of the NFB of Ohio Parents Division and a member of the state fundraising committee. Given the precarious state of affiliate finances, the program she describes in the following article is very important to all of those who care about the work and the continuing existence of the NFB of Ohio. I hope that everyone who reads this article will do everything possible to take part in this program. It does not cost you or your friends any money to participate. It requires a bit of planning, but that is all. Particularly with the spring board meeting scheduled for April 21, this is a fine time to set up your account and order gift cards that can be delivered to you or a friend at the board meeting. This will avoid the tiny chance of cards going astray in the mail. When I order gift cards that must be sent to me, I do spend the extra $5 to have them sent Priority Mail so that the shipment can be traced. Here is what Carol has to say:

          When the word “Fundraising” comes up, most people cringe. The thought of buying more candy, wrapping paper, or other things that no one really needs is hard to deal with. But what if you could maximize your own buying power and still donate funds to the affiliate at the same time without spending extra money? GLS Scrip (Great Lakes Scrip Center) offers us a great long-term solution for generating funds at little cost to our affiliate.

          How does it work? As each member of our chapters and divisions enrolls with Scrip and places his or her order for gift cards, the affiliate receives a percentage of each gift card purchased. The potential for income from this project is limited only by the number of people who choose to participate. In other words, there is no limit to the amount of income that we could generate if all our members, their families, and friends would participate. A great example of the power behind this program can be seen in the results that a high school choir in Cincinnati had.  This program has funded the choir for a number of years by raising an average of $10,000 each month. The choir members, their families, extended families, and friends have supported this program and continue to support it, as their main fundraiser.

All it takes to make this project a successful and prosperous program is a group of dedicated supporters who are willing to plan their regular shopping needs around the use of gift cards purchased from Scrip. Supporters of our organization need to think ahead, planning their personal and household shopping for groceries, clothing, gas, movies, books, restaurant meals and more, to help the organization. It is that simple. Participants purchase cards at face value, and our organization earns anywhere from 2% to 15% or more, depending on the retailer.

How can you get involved?

·        Enroll online to participate, view listings of retailers, and choose gift cards. You can even create a list of favorite retailers to use for repeat purchases each month.

·        Sign up for Presto Pay in order to have the funds deducted directly from your bank account.

·        You can also pay by check, but be aware that we must have your payment before the date we submit the order.

·        If you need help enrolling or signing up for Presto Pay, you may call either Shelbi Hindel, Carol Akers, or Eric Duffy, who will assist you with the process.

What is Presto Pay? Presto Pay is designed for secure, faster, easier payment of purchases. The enrollment is similar to other online payers such as Pay Pal.

1.      Enter your personal and bank account information.

2.      Your bank information is verified, and you will be notified of two small deposits into your account, less than $1.00 each.

3.      Once you enter those amounts into the Presto Pay screen, you will be given a four digit code to give to the coordinators to activate your Presto Pay account.

4.     This is the final step. After you are activated by the coordinators, you will be able to order and pay online for your cards.

5.      Go shopping.

What is available?

          After you enroll for Scrip, you will be able to view the list of hundreds of retailers. Order everything from Wendy’s, Taco Bell, Burger King, and Bob Evans to Olive Garden, Red Lobster and steak houses for food. Giant Eagle, Kohl’s, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Lowes, Saturdays, Great Clips, and many more choices. Everyone eats; everyone shops, so this list has something for everyone.

Our costs? These consist of the charge for shipping the cards from Scrip to our coordinators, approximately $7.00, and the cost of shipping the cards to those who purchased them. Let’s go Ohio! It is time to unite and work together as a team to bring in funds. This program is the easiest opportunity  we will ever find for fundraising, and it is something that everyone can participate in.

2012 NFB of Ohio Committee Assignments

          Editor’s note: At the first board meeting each year the president traditionally makes the committee assignments for the coming year with the advice and consent of the board. Here are the appointments to the 2012 affiliate committees:

AD-HOC COMMITTEE TO RETHINK THE CONVENTION: Eric Duffy (chair), Sherry Albers, Carol Akers, Crystal McClain, Richard Payne, and Sheri Wells-Jensen

Charge: To examine and evaluate all aspects of our state convention and to make recommendations for change at the spring board meeting.

DEAF-BLIND COORDINATORS: Deborah Kendrick and Lisa Hall

          Charge: To provide assistance and information to those who are in this community and to provide a vehicle to foster a positive relationship for the deaf-blind community.

AWARDS COMMITTEE: Barb Fohl (chair), Debbie Baker, Paul Dressell, Eric Duffy, Colleen Roth, William Turner, and Kathy Withman

          Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and feedback when necessary, and to make decisions about NFBO awards.

CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE: Shelbi Hindel (chair), Annette Anderson, and Colleen Roth

          Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions are in compliance with the state and national constitutions, both philosophically and rhetorically.

CONVENTION PLANNING AND ARRANGEMENTS COMMITTEE: Sheri Albers (chair), Carol Akers, Mike Anderson, Susan Day, Colleen Roth, Karen Warner, and Kathy Withman

          Charge: To assist in planning our state convention, managing the Ohio delegation at the national convention, and selecting state convention sites.

FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE: Sherry Ruth (chair), Annette Anderson (SUN coordinator), Gloria Robinson (PAC coordinator), and Barbara Pierce (Jernigan Fund coordinator)

          Charge: To make members aware of these national fundraising opportunities and to implement strategies to increase participation.

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE:  Eric Duffy (chair), Carol Akers, Shelbi Hindel, Jerry Purcell, William Turner, and Karen Whalen

          Charge: To investigate additional opportunities to increase NFBO resources and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE: Barbara Pierce (chair), Debbie Baker, Susan Day, Eric Duffy, Chanell Hancock, Shelby Hindel, and Deborah Kendrick

         Charge: To increase the activity and visibility of the organization in the state legislature.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Richard Payne and William Turner (co-chairs), Stefanie Claytor, Beth Debus, Paul Dressell, Everett Gavel, Chanell Hancock, and Gloria Robinson

          Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit, retain, and reinvigorate the members of the NFB of Ohio.

PERSONNEL COMMITTEE: JW Smith (chair), Eric Duffy, Barb Fohl, Shelbi Hindel, Crystal McClain, Barbara Pierce, and Sherry Ruth

          Charge: To oversee and manage the personnel matters of the organization.

PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY COMMITTEE: Beth Debus (chair), Sheri Albers, Everett Gavel, Deborah Kendrick, Barbara Pierce, Gloria Robinson, and Wanda Sloan

          Charge: To promote and publicize NFB-O programs and events and to acquire as much positive publicity as possible for such activities.

RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE: Deborah Kendrick (chair), Paul Dressell, Richard Payne, Bruce Peters, and Sheri Wells-Jensen

          Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and distribute clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE: Barbara Pierce (chair), Beth Debus, Deborah Kendrick, Bob Pierce, and William Turner

          Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop and implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program and increase participation.

WEBSITE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE: Barbara Pierce (Chair), Eric Duffy, Everett Gavel, and Deborah Kendrick

          Charge: To develop and maintain our website and other related technological outlets.

Buckeye Briefs

          Here is the Miniature that appears in the April issue of the Braille Monitor. The information is doubly important to Ohio Federationists:

          As many Federationists know, in addition to being the Ohio affiliate president, JW Smith loves to sing and play music. Over the past several years many of us have enjoyed his gospel CDs. Now he writes to tell us about his latest project. This is what he says:

          The CD is entitled 24 Hours with Dr. Feelgood, and it is my first secular recording. It includes classic renditions of the Ray Charles version of “America the Beautiful,” James Brown’s “I Feel Good,” and the song “It’s so Hard to Say Goodbye,” most recently popularized by the group Boyz II Men. The other thirteen selections are all original compositions, including my own instrumental composition, appropriately entitled “24 Hours”; a musical tribute to a friend who has cerebral palsy but continues to run five miles a day, entitled “Running Man”; and a ballad entitled “Make Me Smile.” In short, there is something on this recording for everyone, including a country music rendition entitled “Meet You on the Moon.”

          I would like to let my Federation family know how you can get copies. You can email me at <smithj at ohio.edu>, or call me at (740) 707-5114 and make arrangements for me to mail you a copy or send you an MP3 file electronically. You can go to iTunes or CDBaby.com and download it. You can also visit the Ohio table at the national convention in Dallas or find me in our delegation and purchase the CD. All proceeds from sales at the convention will go to the Ohio affiliate. The cost of the CD is $10. I hope you enjoy listening to this CD as much as I enjoyed making it. I believe that it is my best work to date.

          On October 8 the Miami Valley chapter conducted a tandem bike ride for Meet the Blind Month. About thirty people attended. The event began with a cook-out and a business meeting; then the group went on to ride bikes. Members of two bike clubs helped out as tandem team captains, and two new chapter members made a couple of old bikes road-ready for the event. Chapter President Richard Payne rode behind members of his family, and everyone had a great time. One chapter member, who used to ride, had decided after losing her sight that she could no longer do so. She has now changed her mind. Chapter members recommend an activity like this one for other chapters during Meet the Blind Month.

          Here is a unique prescription drug program for those who cannot read medication labels. Heritage Pharmacy of Lancaster  has available a small talking device that reads prescription labels to tell you what you are taking and when to take it. You can also get a single-dose punch-out card that will assist you in taking your drugs at the prescribed time by letting you know whether you have yet taken it or not. The machine and card work together very nicely.  The shipping and single-dose packing is free and is delivered directly to your residence. The talking disc for prescription bottles is $3 per prescription, and the actual reader is free to users. Contact Lori, Holly, or Brenda at Heritage for more information or to get started today. Call (800) 816-0942. Heritage can also handle your insurance claims, prescription refills, and contacts with your doctor to address any concerns. Heritage also carries a  talking  blood glucose monitor and test strips for diabetics and a complete range of drug store supplies, including syringes, vitamins, and almost anything else you can think of. The website is <www.HeritageSupply.com <http://www.heritagesupply.com/> >. Check with your insurer to be certain that it will cover this pharmacy.

          In October the NFB of Springfield conducted elections with the following results: president, Susan Day; vice president, Dorothy Butts; secretary, Debbie Baker; and treasurer, Crystal McClain.

          On November 28 the Cincinnati chapter elected the following officers to serve two-year terms: president, Sheri Albers; vice president, Deanna Lewis; secretary, Paul Dressell; and treasurer, Judy Cook.

          The members of the National Association to Promote the Use of Braille of Ohio invite everyone who believes in the importance of Braille to join this division. Dues are only $5, and Paul Dressell, division treasurer, will be happy to accept dues at any time. You don’t have to read Braille well or even at all to join; you just have to recognize that life is a whole lot easier for people who can read and write easily and efficiently. For most blind people that means Braille. We have a lot of work to do in Ohio to ensure that those who can no longer read and write print efficiently have the chance to learn even a bit of the Braille code. Send your check for $5 made out to OHIO NAPUB to Paul Dressell, 2714 Ruberg Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45211.

          The Ohio Association of the Senior Blind has officially changed its name to  NFB of Ohio Senior Blind Division. The group elected Mary Pool to its board at the 2011 NFB of Ohio convention.

          The NFB of Lake County conducted elections on November 7 and elected the following officers: president, Anne Marble; vice president, Sue Driscoll; secretary, Barb Fohl; and treasurer, Joel Sarich.

          The NFB of Cleveland elected the following officers: president, William Turner; vice president, Chanelle Hancock; recording secretary, Cheryl Fischer; assistant secretary, Rita Jiminez; corresponding secretary, Denise Moss; treasurer, Paula King; and sergeant-at-arms, Cecil Dukes. New board members are Effie Scott, Nettie McDermott, Larry Rodriquez, and Suzanne Turner.

          We are sorry to report the death of longtime Greater Summit County chapter member Merry Beale on November 4. Merry had been in poor health for some time. She was born on Christmas day 1943. She will be deeply missed.

          Anyone interested in applying for the one of the NFB of Ohio Scholarships can find the form at www.nfbohio.org.

Calendar of Events:

March 31, National Federation of the Blind scholarship deadline

April 13-18, NFB Leadership and Advocacy in Washington Program for middle school youth

April 21, NFBO Board meeting, Cincinnati

May 1, NFB of Ohio scholarship application deadline

May 15-22, White Cane Recognition Week

May 20, 1 to 5 pm, JW Smith’s annual NFB of Ohio benefit Show, Athens, OH

May 31, Deadline for convention preregistration

Jun 30-July 5, National Federation of the Blind annual convention, Dallas

October, Meet the Blind Month

October 15, White Cane Safety Day

October 13, 5K Run/Walk Benefit, Columbus, Ohio

November 1, beginning of the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest

November 2-4, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio annual convention, Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel in Miamisburg

Schol application???

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF OHIO

                          2012 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

          In 2012 at its convention, November 2 to 4, at the Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel, the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio will present its Jennica Ferguson Memorial Scholarship of $1,500 and the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Scholarship of $1,000, to recognize achievement by two blind post-secondary scholars. All applicants for these awards must be (1) legally blind and (2) pursuing or planning to pursue a full‑time post-secondary course of study during the 2012-2013 academic year.

          Criteria: The scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence, service to the community, and financial need.

          Membership: The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is an organization dedicated to creating opportunity for all blind people. Recipients of Federation scholarships need not be members of the National Federation of the Blind.

          Making Application: To apply for the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio scholarships, complete and return the application accompanying this page to be received by May 1, 2012. Please provide all the applicable information requested in this application, and attach to your application all the additional documents requested and arrange to have recommendation letters  sent directly.

          Winners: The Scholarship Committee reviews all applications and selects the scholarship winners.  They will be notified of selection by July 1 and will be brought to the state convention November 2 to 4 at Federation expense.  This trip is in addition to the scholarship grant.

          The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio convention will be the largest gathering of blind people to occur anywhere in the state this year.  You will meet other blind students and exchange information and ideas.  You will also meet and talk with blind people who are successfully working in their chosen professions or occupations.  State officials, legislators, and the makers and distributors of new technology attend Federation conventions.  Above all, a broad cross section of the most active segment of the blind population of Ohio will be present to discuss common problems and plan concerted action.  It will be an interesting and exciting weekend.

          Awards:  Winners must participate throughout the convention in order to receive their awards at the banquet on Saturday evening, November 3.

          The Jennica Ferguson Memorial Scholarship is presented in memory of an extraordinary young woman who died at eighteen and embodied the best the Federation has to offer the world.

Attach the following documents to your completed application:

          1. Send us a letter: we want to get to know you. What information on your application needs or deserves further explanation?  How have you dealt with your blindness?  What are your hopes and dreams?

          2. Have two letters of recommendation sent directly to us.

          3. Provide transcripts through December 2011 from the institution now being attended and from all other post-secondary institutions attended.  If you have not yet attended a post-secondary institution or are not about to complete at least one term of study, send your high school transcript.

          4. Have sent a letter from a state officer or chapter president of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio showing that you have discussed your scholarship application with that officer.  The state president, Dr. J. Webster Smith, (740) 592-6326, will provide contact information for a state officer or chapter president upon request.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF OHIO SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM

          Read cover sheet for instructions and explanation.  This form may be photocopied, but only if the cover sheet is also copied.

          To apply for a scholarship, complete this application form and mail completed application and attachments to Barbara Pierce, chair, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Scholarship Committee, 237 Oak Street, Oberlin, OH  44074; phone, 440-775-2216, email, <bpierce at nfb.org>.  Applications must be received by May 1, 2012.

Name (please include any student or other names by which you have been known):

Date of birth:

Spring '12 school address:

Personal phone number while at school:

Home (summer) address:

Home phone number:

Cell phone number:  ___________________  Email address:

Institution being attended in spring semester, 2012, with class standing (freshman, senior, etc.):

Cumulative grade point at this institution:

Institution to be attended in fall of 2012, with class standing:

List all post-secondary institutions attended with highest class standing attained and cumulative grade point averages:

High school attended and cumulative grade point:

Vocational goal:

State your major or proposed major:

Awards and honors (attach list if necessary):

Community service (attach list if necessary):

Name of state officer or chapter president who has interviewed you and promised to send a letter:

How did you learn about this scholarship program?

                               (See cover sheet for list of required attachments.)

Robert Leslie Newman

Personall Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers’ Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Newsletter Publications Committee