[Nfb-editors] Fall/Winter CT Federationist

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 23:16:41 UTC 2012

The Federationist
In Connecticut

"The Blind Speaking for Themselves"
Chris Kuell, Editor
Fall/Winter 2012

The real problem of blindness is not the lack of eyesight. The real problem
is the misunderstanding and lack of information which exist. If a blind
person has proper training and opportunity, blindness is only a physical
nuisance. The National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut is a state
affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and works to improve
the lives of blind people in Connecticut. By providing information and
education to its members and the public, the NFB of Connecticut is changing
what it means to be blind.

Table of Contents

Change Our lives    page 3

Blind Contestant Wins Master Chef page 5

2012 State Convention Wrap-Up page 8

Landmark Decision in NAD versus Netflix page 10

New NAGDU Hotline   page 13

Why I attend National Convention  page 15

Digitizing Books Is Fair Use: Author's Guild v. HathiTrust
Page 17

Seasonal Haiku    page 19

Miscellany and Notes   page 20

Editor's Note: The following is an extended version of this years NFB of CT's
writing contest winning essay. The topic was-Why I go to National
Convention.

Change Our Lives

By Chris Kuell

In the summer of 1998, my wife and I entrusted the care of our kids to my
brother and his wife, said a few prayers and headed to Dallas for our first
NFB National convention. My gut was full of anxiety, both because it was our
first time leaving the kids for more than a few hours, and because of the
unknown that the convention was to me then. I really had no idea what to
expect, except that a blind friend named Betty Woodward had encouraged us to
go. She told us it would change our lives. Since my entire life had been
overturned in the previous year after I lost my vision, I figured any
further change could only be positive.

We caught a shuttle van from the airport to the hotel. A guy on the seat
next to me asked if I was going to the NFB convention and I said yes, how
about him? He told me he was going to his fifth convention. His name was Ed,
and he was from Detroit. I asked who he was traveling with and got my first
shock of the week. "Nobody" he said.

"Nobody?" I said, trying to wrap my head around this. I had received a white
cane from our state agency for the blind, and even knew my way to my kids
school and the local Rite-Aid, but the concept of traveling to another
state, alone, was beyond my comprehension. How could you find the door? How
could you find the front desk to check in? Or your room, for that matter? My
brain nearly burst with questions.

I held my wife's elbow tightly as we checked in at the front desk,
surrounded by blind people. Several asked my wife for directions, which she
gave. We had to walk down a long hallway to another building to get to our
room. As we walked, I heard little feet and kids laughing as they sprinted
by. "You won't believe it," my wife said. "That was three blind kids, racing
with their canes down the corridor."

Blind kids, running? Once again my mind filled with one question. How?

We spent the afternoon listening to talks. I popped into a meeting of blind
diabetics, and another full of blind scientists and engineers. Before dinner
we went to the pool for a swim. There I met Dan, a blind computer teacher
who answered some of my many questions about JAWS. We spoke with two women
who had driven down from upstate New York with a van full of kids. I talked
with a blind single mom who was raising a daughter the same age as my son.
She worked as an accountant at a company in Virginia.

My  wife wanted to clean-up before dinner, and she turned the TV on for me
before showering. I listened as a man with a strong voice and a slight
Tenesee drawl spoke about a blind man who was sitting at home waiting for
someone to help him. He said the guy called and called his state agency for
the blind, but they rarely called him back, and when they did, they rarely
did anything for him. They reminded him of all the things he couldn't do.
The man felt worthless, he felt afraid,  and he lost all hope for the
future. As I listened, tears began to stream down my cheeks. The  man on the
television said he was talking about a guy named Bill, but I didn't think
that was the case. He was talking about me.

After dinner, we went to the bar where I learned another truth-blind people
like to drink! I talked with a guy named Mike from Canada, and a man named
Felix from Sand Diego who had lost his sight, had it restored through
surgery, and then lost it again. I heard stories of frustration, stories of
adventures, and stories that made me laugh so hard my belly hurt. I felt
more relaxed than I had since the day the doctor had removed the bandages
from my eyes and I couldn't see anything.

After a week, we left Dallas, and both my wife and I had changed. She didn't
want me clutching her elbow anymore, and she wanted me to try doing more
things by myself. Rather than me questioning how other blind people did
things, I thought to myself-if they can do it, I can do it as well.

In 1999, we brought the kids with us to the convention in Atlanta, and in
2000 I attended the national convention by myself. I've been to conventions
in Philadelphia, Kentucky, and back to Atlanta again. With each convention I
meet new people, make more friends, and come back rejuvenated to make a
difference in the world.

Reprinted from the Los Angeles Times, September 12, 2012

Master Chef Finale: Contestant Overcomes Blindness  and Odds to Win

By Rene Lynch

Christine Ha said she wanted to be taken seriously on "MasterChef." As the
show's only sight-impaired competitor -- and, indeed, the one and only blind
competitor in the history of reality TV cooking shows -- she didn't want to
be a fluke, or an oddity, or a competitor who would be pitied for her
"handicap."
But she did want to win. And win she did. But did she deserve it?

Christine scored the Season 3 title of best home cook in America, as well as
a $250,000 grand prize and a cookbook over Josh Marks in a hard-fought
battle.

The pair were polar opposites, not counting the fact that one is legally
blind and one can see just fine. Mr. Tall and Ms. Small had two
fundamentally different approaches to food. Josh was about taking risks,
cooking around the globe, and bucking convention (and, sometimes, common
sense). Moreover, he often employed technically complex maneuvers and
dazzling plating techniques. His butter-poached lobster-and-grits appetizer
was, to borrow a phrase, "visually stunning."

Christine, by contrast, took the simple and elevated it to the divine. She
ended up in the finale by largely sticking to what she knows best -- Asian
cuisine -- and conceptualizing menus based on what she knew she could
execute to perfection. Some might say that's playing it safe. Others might
say that's playing to win, as she was able to step past many competitors who
just tried too hard to do too much when less would be more.
(Like Becky Reams, who would probably have been in the finale had she not
dreamed up an idea to douse what should have been a crispy potato side dish
with red wine in one of the final challenges. The result was a soggy, greasy
mess that offended the judges and helped send her packing.)

The final challenge was a simple one. Cook the meal of your life.

Josh went all out with meticulously plated courses -- that lobster dish, a
four-season spanning rack of lamb that made judge Joe Bastianich swoon and a
bacon pecan pie. Unfortunately for Josh, his lobster was undercooked and his
pecan pie crust was a bit greasy. The judges did, however, rave over his
homemade ice cream.

Christine went cooler and simpler with a cohesive menu. A Thai papaya salad
that was refreshing, and balanced between spicy, sweet and salty, followed
by a melt-in-your mouth good braised pork belly and rice dish, and a
palate-cleansing coconut-lime sorbet.
Her approach led the judges to question the rustic simplicity of her dishes.
The homey plating, for example, of her entree led judge and chef Gordon
Ramsay to note, "We're not in Vietnam, and we're not at home. You're in the
final of 'MasterChef.'" And while chef Graham Elliot said that her pork
belly was so good he envisioned a double portion so he could "mow it all
down," Bastianich pointedly asked: "Are we here to mow down dishes or have
cooks to show us finesse?"

Which raises a good question. What is the point of "MasterChef"?
Is it to inspire home cooks to cook like the stars with fancy-pants plating
and techniques that are a challenge to pull off at home? Or is it to remind
all of America's home chefs that they are something special, and that their
family recipes are a treasure-trove to celebrate? That simple and humble
fare can indeed be elevated into something special -- something special
enough to serve to judges with names like Ramsay and Elliot and Bastianich?

There will no doubt be naysayers who say Christine's win was for ratings.
There will be those who will question how blind she "really" is. (She says
she has limited sight, and likens it to seeing the world through a thick,
puffy cloud of white steam, and at Monday night's finale had trouble
recognizing family members who were brought in to surprise her.)
I would not have been unhappy had Josh won. I look forward to the new
"MasterChef" Season 3 cookbook and tracking down all his recipes in it. I'm
hoping it includes every single dish he made this season,  especially that
chicken curry dish from a few weeks back. And that chocolate souffle. And
that...
But I suspect that the true home cooks across America -- those who consider
plating more of an afterthought to taste, and cost, and being able to get
dinner on the table each night, and those who would trade just one more
home-cooked meal from mom than any meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant --
were standing and cheering for Christine.

2012 NFBCT State Convention Wrap Up

The 2012 National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut state convention
was held at the Hartford Downtown Ramada on November third and fourth.
Despite another devastating storm, faithful Federationists showed up to see
old friends, experience new technology, and rededicate themselves to helping
to change what it means to be blind.

Saturday morning opened with President Beth Rival detailing some of the
affiliate activities this year. Brian Sigman told us what's new at BESB,
namely a slight increase in funding and three new hires. Carol Taylor, who
retired at the end of October, gave her final update about the Library for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped in Rocky Hill. The new library director
is Gordon Reddick. Denise Merrill, Connecticut Secretary of the State,
stopped in to discuss the accessible vote-by-phone systems, and Trevor
Attenburg talked about NFB protest efforts and the boycott of GoodWill.
Justin Salisbury, who is currently attending the Louisiana Center for
training, detailed what his experience has been like, and encouraged others
to do likewise. Noreen Greisespoke about the history of observational
missions to the planet Mars, and passed around tactile maps and models of
rovers which have explored the red planet. In the summer of 2012, one tract
of the NFB Youth Slam designed a biosphere which could be operated on a
foreign planet such as Mars. Saturday afternoon also had breakout sessions
for division meetings, including CTAGDU (Connecticut Association of Guide
dog Users), the Diabetes Division, and a newly established student division.
A division constitution was drafted, dues were collected, and elections were
held. Justin Salisbury is the new president, Trevor Attenburg is the Vice
President, Gary Allen is the treasurer, Ayesha Ali is the Secretary and
Hamet Campos is a board member at large.

The Saturday evening keynote address was given by Apidio Rolan, President of
the NFB of Puerta Rico and National Board member. Alpidio lost his sight
while fighting in Vietnam in 1970, and once he found the NFB he knew it was
the organization for him. He referred to the NFB as a "militant"
organization, because rather than sitting around waiting for someone to help
us, we take control and decide to help ourselves.

The $5000 Brian Cummins Memorial TVI scholarship was awarded to Cody
LePlante of New Britain. For academic scholarships totaling $15,000 were
also awarded.

Following a full breakfast on Sunday morning was our annual all-member Board
meeting. This year about 30 people attended. Elections were held, and the
NFB Officers are now:Beth Rival - president; Justin Salisbury - first vice
president; Bo Diaz - second vice president; Nathanael Wales - treasurer;
Maryanne Melley - trasurer; Betty Woodward, Esther Levignale, Rob Polaski
and Barbara Blejewski board members.

Next year's state convention will be held at the Sheraton in Meridan, and
let's all hope there's no huge storm or natural disaster to keep our fellow
Federationists away.

Landmark Decision in NAD versus Netflix

A Federal District Court in Massachusetts is First in Country to Hold that
the Americans with Disabilities Act Applies to Website-Only Businesses.
Judge Denies Netflix's Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings and Allows
Disability Civil Rights Case, National Association of the Deaf, et al. v.
Netflix, Case No. 3:11-cv-30168, to Move Forward.

The National Association of the Deaf ("NAD"), a national civil rights
organization of deaf and hard of hearing individuals, won a major victory
today when Judge Ponsor denied defendant Netflix's Motion for Judgment on
the Pleadings seeking dismissal of the case.  The District Court of
Massachusetts is the first court in the country to hold that the Americans
with Disabilities Act ("ADA") applies to website-only businesses. The
underlying lawsuit alleges that Netflix violates the ADA by failing to
provide closed captioning on most of its "Watch Instantly" programming
streamed on the Internet, thereby denying equal access to the deaf and hard
of hearing community.

Netflix argued that the ADA applies only to physical places and therefore
could not apply to website-only businesses like Netflix's "Watch Instantly"
streaming service. Judge Ponsor denied the motion, stating that it would be
"irrational to conclude" that: "places of public accommodation are limited
to actual physical structures.In a society in which business is increasingly
conducted online, excluding businesses that sell services through the
Internet from the ADA would run afoul of the purposes of the ADA and would
severely frustrate Congress's intent that individuals with disabilities
fully enjoy the goods, services, privileges and advantages, available
indiscriminately to other members of the general public." Moreover, Judge
Ponsor stated that the fact that the ADA "does not include web-based
services as a specific example of a public accommodation is irrelevant"
since such web-based services did not exist when the ADA was passed in 1990
and because "the legislative history of the ADA makes clear that Congress
intended the ADA to adapt to changes in technology."

The Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund's Directing Attorney,
Arlene Mayerson, stated: "By recognizing that web-sites are covered by the
ADA, the court has ensured that the ADA stays relevant as much of our
society moves from Main Street to the Internet. Netflix's argument that the
neighborhood video store is covered by the ADA, but it, with its over 20
million subscribers, is not, was soundly rejected by the Court."

"This victory ensures that the ADA will continue to be a powerful force in
our rapidly changing lives, protecting our right to equal access on the
Internet," said NAD President Bobbie Beth Scoggins. "Netflix's flat-out
refusal to fully serve our community simply because it is an Internet-based
business is unacceptable. Leaving millions of deaf and hard of hearing
consumers without equal access is not an option."

"This legal ruling is a major decision that ensures the ADA remains current
with this technological age and makes it possible for people with
disabilities to have full access to the same programs and services available
to everyone else," said NAD CEO Howard Rosenblum.

In addition, Netflix argued that the case should be dismissed because it
does not own copyrights to its programming and therefore cannot be forced to
provide closed captions and that the 21st Century Communications and Video
Accessibility Act ("CVAA") "carves out" all video programming streamed on
the Internet as separate from the ADA. Judge Ponsor found that at this
stage, the Plaintiffs had sufficiently alleged that Netflix "owns,
leases..., or operates" a place of public accommodation for purposes of the
ADA and that the CVAA does not "carve out" streaming programming from the
ADA because there is "no conflict between the statutes" and there is no
indication from Congress to the contrary.

This ruling may have broad implications to the thousands of blind and
visually impaired consumers who rely on the internet for business
transactions. Let's all hope higher level courts uphold this decision, and
web businesses learn to embrace accessibility.

GUIDE DOG ASSOCIATION LAUNCHES INNOVATIVE HOTLINE

 The National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU) - the leader in service
animal policy & advocacy - sponsors an innovative public service. The NAGDU
Information & Advocacy Hotline not only offers information about the
training and use of guide dogs and the legal rights of individuals who use
service animals, it offers the option to speak with an advocate who is
trained to mediate issues of discrimination.

 "We find that most access problems are the result of a lack of
 information," says Michael Hingson, the Association's Vice President, who
serves as Project Manager for the hotline. "This hotline is an invaluable
resource for accurate information."

 The NAGDU Education & Advocacy Hotline currently offers general information
about service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),   as
well as specific guidance concerning restaurants, taxicabs, and health care
facilities. Future plans for the hotline include summaries of each of the
state laws concerning service animals, more industry specific information,
and guidance in a variety of languages, such as Mandarin and Arabic. The
Hotline is available anytime by calling, toll-free, 888-NAGDU411
(888-624-3841). Members of the media wishing to experience the hotline in
advance of stories are encouraged to do so.

 The NAGDU Education & Advocacy Hotline was created by a grant from the
National Federation of the Blind's (NFB) Imagination Fund, as well as with
contributions from the California and Florida Associations of Guide Dog
Users. The National Association of Guide Dog Users is a strong and proud
division of the NFB. NAGDU conducts public awareness campaigns on issues of
guide dog use, provides advocacy support for guide dog handlers who face
discrimination, supports sound policy and effective legislation to protect
the rights of service animal users, offers educational programs to school
and civic organizations, and functions as an integral part of the National
Federation of the Blind. For more information about the National Association
of Guide Dog Users and to support their work, you can visit their website at

HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG

Or send an email message to
Info at NAGDU.ORG

Why I attend National Convention

By Justin Salisbury

 I'll never forget the sound of hundreds of canes tapping the marble floor
when I stepped into the hotel lobby, like rain drops on a still pond.  I
love that sound at every national event.  I attended my first national
convention in Dallas in 2010 in the College Leadership Program.  After
landing at the airport, I put on my big boy pants and independently found my
way from the plane to the hotel.  I had never done that before, but I knew
that this was the standard that I should expect of myself.  Before that
convention, I had spent days reading through the agenda.  Of the ten things
going on at every moment, I had to pick one place to be.  I enjoyed a Latin
dance party, stimulating sessions on organizational development, meetings
for blind science and engineering professionals, and more than I'd ever
imagined.  Everywhere I went, I found new role models and mentors instantly.
 Nathanael Wales knew my career interests, and he told me that he'd
introduce me to successful blind role models in my areas of interest.  He
wasn't lying.  He had a new name and phone number every few hours.  Blind
people before me had already done what I wanted to do, and they encourage me
still to achieve beyond what they did.
 For my second national convention, Orlando 2011, I was a national
scholarship winner.  I had a backstage pass to hang out with the coolest
leaders of the organized blind movement.  I learned much about life and
about leadership from the committee and my peers in that week, including the
fact that I really didn't need that backstage pass to talk to anyone in our
Federation family.  I did receive some money, but I am more successful today
because of the lessons I learned and connections I made.  Because of a
luncheon sponsored by the Louisiana Center for the Blind, I am attending the
adult rehabilitation program this year.  I will learn the independence
skills that I need to excel, rather than merely succeed.  In fact, I will
learn the skills that I need to read essays like this one at state
conventions.  That's real food.
 This year, I was a real leader at convention.  I sponsored a resolution,
presented at the student and science division meetings, and was elected to
the Board of Directors of the National Association of Blind Students.
Unsurprisingly, I loved every minute of it, especially the moment when the
entire room exploded with ayes to vote for me.
 A leader is powerful to the degree he empowers others, and that empowerment
is amplified tenfold at the national convention.  We are the voice of the
nation's blind. We don't wait for someone else to speak up for us.  When I'm
not partying with my friends from across the country, I'm improving my
ability to catalyze the change I want in the world.
 Each national convention is a new best week of my life.  I can't wait for
the next one!

Reprinted from the Electronic Frontier Foundation website

Digitizing Books Is Fair Use: Author's Guild v. HathiTrust

By Corynne McSherry and Michael Barclay

Good news! In a decision that is likely to help shape the future of online
fair use, a federal court in New York has concluded that digitizing books in
order to enhance research and to provide access to print-disabled
individuals is lawful.
The case is The Authors Guild, Inc. v. Hathitrust, the lesser-known but
faster-moving stepsister to the Authors Guild's long-running lawsuit against
Google for its Google Book Search service. For the past seven years, major
university libraries have been collaborating with Google to digitize their
collections, with one result being the creation of the HathiTrust Digital
Library (HDL).  Via the HDL, more than 60 university and research libraries
can store, secure, and search their digital collections.  Most library
patrons aren't allowed to access the digitized books in their entirety - HDL
merely does a keyword search and delivers titles and page numbers as
results.  This enables users either to find the book at a library or to
purchase a copy, but HDL itself doesn't take the place of book sales for the
general public.  HDL does allow access of the entire books to blind or other
print-disabled individuals.
So, is that process a fair use?  HathiTrust, with support from EFF, numerous
library associations, and prominent law professors, said yes.  And the court
agreed. Nicely summing up his ruling, Judge Harold Baer declared:
I cannot imagine a definition of fair use that would not encompass the
transformative uses made by Defendants' MDP and would require that I
terminate this invaluable contribution to the progress of science and
cultivation of the arts that at the same time effectuates the ideals
espoused by the [Americans with Disabilities Act].
The judge noted that making copies to facilitate searching (and finding)
information was a highly transformative use because "the copies serve an
entirely different purpose than the original works . . . the purpose is
superior search capabilities rather than actual access to copyrighted
material."
But what is perhaps most refreshing is that the court paid close attention
to the public interest in the project, recognizing that it actually served
the purposes of copyright: to promote the progress of science and the useful
arts. Citing a brief filed by EFF and several library associations, the
court recognized that the HathiTrust projects efforts helped, rather than
hindered, access to creative works.  That public benefit, the court said,
meant that the HDL supported "the underlying rationale of copyright law".
Quite so. Judge Baer got it, and he got it right. Hopefully, his reasoning
will be adopted and expanded in the related Google Books case.
Files

Seasonal Haiku

By Barbara Blejewski

Cornucopia,
Abundant fruitful harvest,
Blessings forever.

Miscellany and Notes:

In May, 2012, President Barack Obama made several key administrative post
appointments. Among these was Anil Lewis - Member, Committee for Purchase
from People Who Are Blind or Severely disabled.
Anil Lewis is currently the Director of Strategic Communications for the
National Federation of the Blind.  Previously, Mr. Lewis was the President
of the National Federation of the Blind of Georgia, where for eight years he
developed and administered programs that provide education, training, and
opportunity for blind youth and adults.  Blind since 1989, Mr. Lewis has
worked throughout his career to assist people with disabilities to obtain
employment; he has served as a job placement specialist for a community
rehabilitation program, as the manager of the Disability Employment
Initiative for Randstad Staffing, and as a counselor and advocate for the
Georgia Client Assistance Program.  Mr. Lewis received a B.B.A. in Computer
Information Systems and an M.P.A. in Program Evaluation and Policy Studies
from Georgia State University.
President Obama said, "These individuals have demonstrated knowledge and
dedication throughout their careers.  I am grateful they have chosen to take
on these important roles, and I look forward to working with them in the
months and years to come."

#   #   #

Newsline, a free audible newspaper service for blind and print-disabled
people, recently announced the launch of an exciting new access method.
NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile, a free iOS application now available in the Apple App
Store, features the text of over three hundred newspapers, forty magazines,
and wire feeds, plus personalized television listings. This breakthrough
access method will allow NFB-NEWSLINE® subscribers to easily view online and
download their favorite publications with their iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

"We are proud to offer our subscribers this new exciting mobile iOS
application that allows them access to their favorite publications at home,
while traveling to work, in the classroom, or in the office. If you're
looking for news from around the corner or from around the globe,
NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile can help you quickly find it," said Scott White,
director of the NFB-NEWSLINE program.

NFB-NEWSLINE® allows those who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to access publications as well as television
and job listings over the telephone, on the Web, or by download to digital
talking book players or MP3-playing devices.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit www.nfbnewsline.org. Those
interested in subscribing to the service may fill out the online application
form, write to nfbnewsline at nfb.org or call (866) 504-7300.

# # #

The Freedom Ride Accessible Taxi Program is a partnership between Yellow Cab
Company and Greater Hartford Transit District, designed to accommodate
individuals in the greater Hartford area who need flexibility and
accessibility in transportation options beyond the existing ADA paratransit
service area and hours. The program is funded through the FTA New Freedom
grant program and is administered by the Connecticut Department of
Transportation.

The voucher program extends beyond the ADA paratransit service area and
hours by providing a pr
e-paid taxi voucher card at a 50% reduced price to people defined as having
a disability under the ADA regulations.  The voucher may be used for taxi
trips that go beyond the ADA service area, during times that ADA paratransit
is not available and for same day service 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Individuals are encouraged to call Yellow Cab Company at 860-666-6666 at
least one hour in advance; however, reservations may be made up to 24 hours
in advance.  For persons who use TTY, it is recommended that the 711 relay
service be used to call Yellow Cab for a reservation or with any questions.
The individual must state they need a wheelchair accessible vehicle when
they call.  Personal Care Attendants may ride for free with an individual
who requires assistance as long as the attendant starts and ends their ride
with the voucher holder.  Service animals are allowed.

 # # #

On July 1, 2012, with the passage of Public Act 12-1, the Connecticut Bureau
of Rehabilitative Services became the Department of Rehabilitation Services
(DORS). Within the Department are three interim organizational units; the
administrative unit; the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (that includes
the programs formerly administered by the Commission on the Deaf and Hearing
Impaired; and BESB (which includes the Workers' Rehabilitation program). In
keeping with the organizational structure, BESB will no longer be referred
to as the "BESB Program" but will instead be a Bureau on the same level as
the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services, the Vocational and Independent Living
unit formerly at DSS that serves all disabilities other than blindness. The
new name for BESB is the Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind.
This name will enable us to keep the acronym of BESB. Other than the change
in name, BESB will continue to function as it has in the past year. The
board will remain an active advisory body, and will not be affected by the
change in name.

 # # #

A compilation of user friendly (screen reader accesable) job search websites
are available in the VR (vocational rehabilitation) section of the DORS/BESB
web page. Check them out at:
www.ct.gov/besb.