[Nfb-editors] The Student Slate- 2012 summer issue

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Sep 20 13:53:39 UTC 2012

THE STUDENT SLATE

Summer 2012

Edited by Karen Anderson, Cindy Bennett and Sean Whalen

Published by

The National Association of Blind Students

Sean Whalen, President

Contents

Editor <> 's Introduction. 2

Firing Up for Summer <>  3

Thinking Thrifty and Pinching Pennies: Doing Dallas without Breaking the
Bank <> . 5

On the Path to FABulouS: Spotlight on the Florida Association of Blind
Students <> . 8

The Experience of a Lifetime <> . 11

The Future of Technology is in Your Hands <> . 12

My Journey to Genetics: Changing What It Means to be a Blind Genetic
Counselor <>  14

Editor's Introduction

So here we find ourselves in the middle of another long hot summer, or
perhaps a mild and temperate one, depending on where you find yourself
enjoying this latest edition of the Slate. One thing's for sure, and that is
that it's hot in Dallas, Texas, and, guess what? It's about to get even
hotter! Thousands of members of the National Federation of the Blind are
about to converge on the Lone Star State and take over the Hilton Anatole
for a week. And, we in NABS could not be more excited!

Before delving into the goodness that is the Summer Slate, there are a few
nuggets of NABS news that you should be aware of at convention. Here it
goes:

1)      NABS will be holding our annual seminar and business meeting on
Sunday, July 1, at 7:00pm. Registration will open at 6:15, and the meeting
will begin at 7:00 on the dot. Anybody who is registered for the meeting by
6:45 will receive two entries, rather than one, for door prizes, one of
which will be an iPod Touch donated by Learning Ally. To save yourself some
time, you can preregister for the meeting at http://j.mp/NABS12 and cruise
through the preregistration line, rather than providing all your contact
info at the meeting. We have an engaging agenda, and will be holding
elections, as well. Come on out!

2)      NABS' open house social will be held on Saturday, June 30, from
9:00pm to midnight in the Affiliate Action suite, room 2372 on the tower
side of the hotel. Drop in and say hello to old friends, and make some new
ones. Members of the NABS board will be on hand, and we are especially
interested in hearing your thoughts and suggestions on the future and
direction of NABS. Did we mention, free snacks and drinks?

3)      On Wednesday, July 4, NABS will be hosting are annual Monte Carlo
fundraiser in the Morocco Room on the tower mezzanine. This is one of NABS'
biggest fundraisers, and it's a ton of fun. Come play some cards, chat up
some friends, and enjoy a nice cool cocktail, if you're so inclined. And, if
you get down with dealing cards and would like to help out, please email
Darian Smith at  <mailto:dsmithnfb at gmail.com> dsmithnfb at gmail.com.

4)      Finally, a big plug for two spectacular NABS fundraisers at this
year's convention: First, we will be selling raffle tickets for $5, or five
for $20. There will be three winners. The grand prize winner will choose
between an iPad 16gb Wifi, Serotek's DocuScan Plus, or a Speed Dots iPhone
accessories package, which includes a Bluetooth keyboard, an extended
battery case and a tactile screen protector. Second, in collaboration with
Stitchville of Ruston, LA, we are offering custom handmade slate cases. They
are available in six stylish patterns, and are selling for $15. If you're
interested in purchasing one, please see NABS in the exhibit hall, or email
our Fundraising Chair, Domonique Lawless, at dlawless at gmail.com.

Ok, back to the issue at hand (bad pun fully intended):

In this edition of the Slate we hear from Nallym Bravo about how fabulous
things are down in Florida, and receive a recap from Meghan Whalen on how to
attend National Convention without going completely broke. We learn about
how blind students are shaping the future of technology, while hearing the
stories of two young blind women in the STEM fields today, Ronit Ovadia and
Jordyn Castor, a genetic counselor and Microsoft intern, respectively.
Finally, we get some hot tips from Mark Riccobono on manning the grill as a
blind person.

So, whether you enjoy this issue of the Slate out by the pool, next to a hot
grill, or in the airport on your way to Dallas, you are sure to find
something to inform, educate, or inspire!

That's all for now. We'll be back in the fall with another issue. As always,
if you have an article idea, or, better yet, would like to write an article
of your own, please send an email to slate at nabslink.org.

Firing Up for Summer

by Mark A. Riccobono

>From the Editor: We all know Mark Riccobono as the Executive Director of the
Jernigan Institute. Or perhaps you remember him from that famous drive. But
at the end of the day, he is just a normal guy who enjoys summer and
succulent grilled food like all of us. In this article, he shares some
alternative, and not-so-alternative techniques in the hopes of introducing
you to the grill. So read on, and get inspired to wow your school friends at
your own incredible cookout.

One of the great aspects of summer is enjoying the outdoors and the
wonderful foods that go along with summer cookouts. From the traditional
juicy hamburger to smoked ribs and all variety of side dishes, the grill is
a great platform for creating the culinary delight of choice, bringing
friends together, and stretching ourselves as blind people. As a blind
person, I have been managing a grill for many years. Many things I have
learned from blind friends. Other things I have learned, like any outdoor
chef, from trial and error. Below are a few thoughts to get you started
managing the grill as a blind person. I would encourage you to try some
things, share what you learn, and more importantly enjoy the wonderful
opportunities that a summer cookout offers.

1. The grill: I cook on a charcoal grill because I love the flavor it
provides and the process of preparing the grill for cooking. Whether using a
gas or charcoal grill, you will want to investigate the grill to get
familiar with all the parts and vents. There are various methods for
building your fire. I really like using a chimney--a cylinder with a handle
on the outside. In the top of the chimney you load charcoal and in the
bottom you put a couple of sheets of crumpled up newspaper. When you light
the newspaper you heat the coals up from the bottom. This maximizes the use
of the heat and is one of the fastest ways to heat up your coals. I love it
because you do not need to use lighter fluid. After about 20 minutes your
coals are ready and you need to carefully dump them into the grill. To
manage this I use fire proof gloves. This allows you to safely touch very
hot surfaces. You can even stir the coals around as long as you don't just
leave your hand in the fire. I also use a little hand rake--the type you
might use in the garden--to move the coals around.

2. Managing food on the grill: Once your fire is set and your grill grate is
on, you are ready to cook. If you are going to manage the cooking, it is
helpful if you are the one who puts the food on the grill. Especially when
you are first learning to grill, do not over load the grill with too much
food. This will give you more room to flip your food while you get
comfortable managing the heat. While you can safely use a spatula or tongs
to flip things on the grill there are a variety of other mainstream tools
that are quite handy. For example, you can get a variety of metal baskets
with long handles. These baskets can be clamped shut and allow you to easily
flip all of your items at one time. I use a basket quite frequently. There
are many sources of good information on the Internet to guide you on
preparing foods and appropriate cooking times. One thing you need to pay
attention to are variations in temperature on the grill. If your coals are
not evenly distributed, you may get spots on the grill where the food cook's
cooler than other spots. By holding your hand over the grill and timing how
many seconds you can hold it before feeling like it is too hot, you can get
a sense of where any cool spots might be. If you are doing something that
requires a particular temperature be achieved you can use a talking grill
thermometer or talking meat thermometer. One example is the iGrill which can
be monitored through your iPhone. I have not yet tested the iGrill but plan
to do so this summer. With experience, you will learn to control the heat of
your grill by adjusting the vents. The key to managing the food on your
grill is to set it out in a way that makes sense to you and that does not
make it too difficult to time. If you have a variety of items on the grill
that all require different cooking times it may be difficult to manage. I
should add that I usually prefer to use a small portable talking clock or
kitchen timer when working around the grill-I love my iPhone but I do not
want to handle it much while cooking on the grill.

3. Determining the doneness of your food: The same techniques that apply in
the kitchen will apply around the grill. The smell of your food and how it
feels to the touch are good indicators. Long handled grill utensils are
useful for touching the food and getting a sense of how it feels. By the
way, these are also useful detectors when you want to search around the
grilling surface for the sausage that rolled away or for the hamburger that
flipped a little farther than you planned. For meats that you desire to cook
to a certain temperature, the talking meat thermometer works extremely well.
I have found that one of the most effective things you can do in learning
about the doneness of your food is to pay attention to what you are doing
when cooking--grill temperature, smells, feel of the food--and build up
experience. Much of my determination of doneness comes for trying things and
knowing what has and has not worked.

The biggest barrier preventing blind people from getting out and enjoying an
experience around the grill is over coming the fear about dealing with a hot
fire. By following the safe fire safety tips that all grill masters should
follow, using some of the tools available to all outdoor chefs (like fire
proof gloves), and not trying to tackle too many tasks at once, you can
learn to effectively manage the grill.

I have tried to grill many things over the years--appetizers, vegetables,
fish, pork, steak, chicken, and even dessert. Something's went very well.
Some things were a flop. That is the experience of anyone training to be a
grill master. If there is something I do not know how to do on the grill I
start talking to friends about what they do. Sometimes that has to do with
nonvisual techniques but mostly it has to do with the general tools and
techniques that are needed to make great meals on the grill. With the
exception of talking clocks and thermometers, everything I use for the grill
is right out of the aisles of the local store that sells barbecue supplies.
Grilling is one of the activities that has helped me to understand that in
most aspects of life vision is not a requirement for success. My skill with
the grill has also helped me make business associates, neighbors, and
friends understand that I am just another backyard grill master who happens
to be blind.

Next time you are in Baltimore, give me the heads up and we can spend some
time at the grill together. It is a great way to get to know a new friend,
share some techniques, build some confidence, and enjoy one of the very best
ways to cook food.

Thinking Thrifty and Pinching Pennies: Doing Dallas without Breaking the
Bank

by Meghan Whalen

Reprinted from the summer 2010 issue of the Student Slate

>From the Editor: Meghan Whalen is currently serving out the final bit of her
stint on the NABS board. She is a past president of the Wisconsin
Association of Blind Students, and has plenty of experience attending NFB
national conventions on a student budget. The advice in this article is as
good now as it was two years ago when it was initially published. So here is
what Meghan offers to those of you who are looking to go to Dallas without
going broke, as well as a list of restaurants that deliver to the Hilton
Anatole excerpted from the 2012 NFB National Convention Restaurant Guide:

Students tend to share one commonality, and that is a shortage of money. We
can all relate to the depressing sensation of rounding up our nickels and
dimes and frowning to realize that the next month will, once again, consist
of far too many Ramen Noodles. I suffer from the same affliction, and I have
developed the penny-pincher lifestyle for convention.

Before I head to the airport, I toss instant oatmeal packets, a spoon and a
bowl in my suitcase. I also grab my water bottle and some of those little
individual powdered drink mixes. Running water through the coffeepot gives
you perfectly steaming water to pour over your instant oatmeal, and it's no
trouble it all to mix up some Crystal Lite or the like in your water bottle.
If you really want to continue your poor college lifestyle, you can make
Ramen with the hot water from the coffee pot as well.

The Wisconsin Association of Blind Students works together at convention to
save money for all of our members. We have each student contribute about
twenty to thirty dollars. Together, we compile a grocery list and designate
a few folks to go pickup the groceries at the nearest store. Sometimes, we
get lucky, and the hotel rooms have refrigerators. If this isn't the case,
we pick up those disposable foam coolers, and we take turns dumping the
water and replacing the ice. The food is all stored in one room, and we set
up times at which the room will be open. We usually have breakfast and lunch
groceries, and go out as a group for dinner.

If you're going it alone for food, and you don't wish to deal with coolers
and ice, grab a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread. Pop-Tarts get old
pretty quickly, but they're cheap, or you could go with granola bars or
other breakfast bars. If you really don't want to spend a lot of money on
food, other than the banquet, you can eat all week for about $30, or less if
you take the Ramen route. You can pick up one of those ninety-nine cent
squeezy bottles from a local store and bring some dish soap along. You don't
want to be eating your oatmeal for breakfast over a crust of yesterday's
Ramen.

A couple of years ago in Dallas, my roommates thought I had gone off the
deep end when I dramatically whipped a waffle iron out of my suitcase. They
thought I was nuts, until they tasted my waffles! I brought waffle mix from
home. It only required some water, but I added chocolate chips for good
measure. After much sterilization, the bathroom counter became my kitchen,
and the ice bucket became my mixing bowl. The waffles were so amazing that
my roommates were forced to reevaluate my mental stability. I wouldn't
recommend a waffle iron to everyone, but the room smelled great! I always
put it away before leaving the room; because I'm not too certain that I
really should have had it along, but still, I say the waffles were worth it.

Specific to Dallas, we all know that food isn't cheap. I discovered in 2008
that the food in the Sports Bar downstairs is considerably less expensive,
though it is of the same quality as that served up in the restaurant. Most
of the appetizers offered at all eating facilities within the hotel were
filling enough for me. Sometimes, I made a sandwich, brought it with me and
only ordered a side of fries. This way, I was still giving the restaurant
business, but I was not spending nearly as much money as I otherwise would
have.

The more folks you have in a hotel room, the less you have to spend. It's
worth being a little crowded to save some money. The truth is that you're
not in your room a whole lot anyways, so a lack of elbow room isn't the end
of the world. Just work out a system with your roommates, and all will go
well. Tell yourself you're only going to spend a certain amount of money
each day, and don't go beyond that. Budget beforehand so you're not eating
your left arm on the last day when all your money has gone to purchase
gadgets and gizmos in the exhibit hall.

There is a Denny's a short walk from the hotel, so when you get tired of the
same burger and fries for lunch each day, venture out. Take someone new with
you, and share with them what you learned about saving money at convention.
Maybe you can split one of their massive platters of nachos and both head
back to general session well-fed, but still plump in the wallet.

Regardless of how you choose to spend your money, branch out and network
while at convention, or you have just wasted a lot of money. Convention is
an amazing resource for networking and mentoring, so do your best to be a
resource and friend to other conventioneers. Follow some or most of these
steps, and you will definitely get your money's worth out of the Dallas
experience.

Delivery Options Serving the Hilton Anatole from the 2012 National
Convention Restaurant Guide:

Restaurant Name

Phone Number

Jimmy Johns Sandwiches

214-484-1730

Domino's Pizza

214-520-7100

Sal's Pasta and Pizza

214-522-1828

Pizza Hut

214-522 1414

Zini's Pizzeria

214-599-2600

Italia Express

214-748-2700

Szechuan Chinese

214-521-6981

Thai  To Go

214-484-2161

Yumi to go

214-528-9864

Grubhub (variety of restaurants)

 <http://www.grubhub.com> www.grubhub.com

On the Path to FABulouS: Spotlight on the Florida Association of Blind
Students

by Nallym Bravo

>From the Editor: Nallym Bravo is a senior at Florida International
University studying English. She plans to pursue a master's in Higher
Education and Student Affairs. Along with serving as the president of the
Florida Association of Blind Students, she is a board member of the Miami
local chapter and Florida state affiliate of the NFB. In this article, she
highlights what FABS has done during the past year and the exciting events
they have planned for state convention. We hope that the ideas FABS has
materialized over the previous year can spark your student division to
innovate.

Reflecting on the last year, it has been an exciting privilege to watch the
growth of the Florida Association of Blind Students and its members. It has
been a time for trying new things and seeing what worked. Heading into State
Convention in just a few weeks, it is time to celebrate our accomplishments
and get pumped up for the future.

This year, FABS focused primarily on fundraising and strengthening its
membership. IN the fall, we held a 50-50 raffle fundraiser. We raised over
one-thousand dollars which was split evenly with the winner. Even more
exciting, we were able to raise enough money to sponsor a student to attend
our State Convention for the first time.

While holding the fundraiser, FABS was busy planning its first ever Tampa
Extravaganza. The event was a weekend-long retreat in December where
students had a chance to enhance their leadership skills, socialize, and
learn about the NFB. Sue Glazer, a transition teacher from the Tampa
Lighthouse for the Blind, facilitated activities which challenged students
to step out of their comfort zone while learning to work with others
effectively. After the exercises there was a debriefing in which students
were able to talk about their experiences and how what was learned could be
used in everyday life.

On the next day, FABS members went to Bush Gardens, a local amusement park.
It was an opportunity to socialize, but it was also a way to build
confidence and use our travel skills. Navigating the park without any
sighted assistance was a first for some of the students and it was an
eye-opening experience.

The last day of the extravaganza was devoted to philosophy. Rick Brown, a
member of the NFB of Florida's board of directors and Laurel Brown, another
leader within the affiliate, spoke about their experiences within the
federation, the mission of the organization, and how students fit into its
mission. The Tampa Extravaganza was an event in which we were able to learn
a lot while having fun and creating new, strong friendships.

During winter and spring, we have been planning for the Florida State
Convention. We are excited to sponsor Brandon Stubbs, a law student who is
new to Florida to attend Convention for the first time. We will host several
events that will be both fun and educational. Along with our annual business
meeting, we will be having a Social Spotlight seminar. Three panelists will
share their various experiences and advice on all aspects of socializing as
a blind student. We will also have a Fit to Be Me workshop where we will
teach students effective ways of staying healthy on a student's hectic
schedule and limited budget. Finally, we will have our first ever Pajama
Jam, a slumber party themed open mic social.

It is exciting to think about what FABS has accomplished over the last year.
Goals were set at the outset, and, due to the hard work and limitless
enthusiasm of its members, they have been met. FABS will keep strengthening
and building its membership and will be even stronger next year.

The Experience of a Lifetime

by Jordyn Castor

>From the Editor: Jordyn Castor is a sophomore at Michigan State University
studying computer science. She is also the president of the Michigan
Association of Blind Students. But in this article, she talks about an
experience away from school and her NFB responsibilities that opened her up
to exciting internship and career opportunities.

As I walked up the stairs in the engineering building to meet with my
advisor, the only thoughts running through my head were the classes I was
taking next semester, how hard my calculus class was, and how I wanted to
switch my major from computer science and leave the College of Engineering.
Little did I know that this simple walk up a staircase was going to change
my mind and put my worries to rest. As I opened the doors to the third
floor, my advisor was walking out the door to go to lunch with the Microsoft
recruiter who recruits for my school. We shook hands, and I was introduced
to her, but I never thought about that encounter until a few weeks later
when I received an email entitled "Invitation to Experience Microsoft!" My
advisor nominated me for this experience, and I was selected as one out of
75 students in the United States and Canada to go to Seattle from April 4th
through the 6th. My heart was pounding as I read the email about how I was
invited to visit the Microsoft headquarters, build Windows phone apps, learn
about the roles offered at Microsoft, and meet employees from the company.
My first thought was not to go because I was going to miss many classes.
However, that thought was crazy! Who would pass up such an amazing
opportunity? My decision was made, and I never looked back. I was so
excited!!! I also received an email from the recruiter asking what
accommodations I would need from Microsoft, and much to my surprise, my
materials were provided for me in Braille! This experience was one of the
coolest and most unique experiences I'd ever received an invitation to
attend. So, after packing my bags, and dragging them to my calculus class to
miss as little as possible, I was headed for Seattle.

After getting settled in to my hotel, I went to the lobby to meet with other
students from the Microsoft group for dinner. Everyone was extremely
pleasant, and we had a really nice time talking and getting to know each
other. The next morning, we met in the lobby at 7:00 to be bussed over to
the Microsoft headquarters. I was so amazed; I could not believe I was
actually walking on the Microsoft campus! Throughout our stay, we learned
about the roles offered at the company, built apps for the Windows Phone,
toured the campus, met employees, and much more. I decided I liked the
testing role and the developer role at the company. These roles are really
neat because an individual gets to build products as a developer, and gets
to see how many different ways they can "break" a product as a tester. While
I could not develop apps for the Windows Phone due to lack of accessibility,
I still really enjoyed learning about how to develop an app and see the apps
my fellow students developed. When we toured the campus, we were able to
visit the office buildings where some of the employees worked as well as
visit The Commons cafeteria which has a whopping fourteen restaurants!
Perhaps my favorite part of visiting Microsoft was meeting part of the
Accessibility Team and playing with a preview release of Windows 8 on a
tablet computer. I never expected this to happen, however things just fell
into place and this was such a rewarding and honorable experience for me. I
was very impressed and amazed with every aspect relating to working at
Microsoft. I hope to apply for the Explorer internship, an internship for
Freshman and Sophomore students, this year!

Individuals will say that one of their favorite aspects of working at
Microsoft is the people they work with. Everyone I met at Microsoft was so
wonderful; words cannot describe how grateful I am to have met every one of
them. I met many new friends, friends I know I will continue to talk to for
the rest of my life, and I gained the knowledge and experience people can
only dream of. I cannot end this article without thanking all of the staff
and students at Experience Microsoft for giving me the experience of a
lifetime!

The Future of Technology is in Your Hands

by Amy Mason

>From the Editor: Amy Mason is the newest member of the NFB Access Technology
team. In this article, she talks about a program hosted by the Jernigan
Institute last fall.

What will computers look like in twenty years? How about the internet? Cell
phones? Television? What about video games? These questions are fascinating,
and they open up a whole wide vista of possibilities. Will we still type in
5 years? Will printed books become rare in 10 years? What about a full-page
refreshable Braille display rising, like magic, out of our mainstream
Windows 12 tablet computer? Honestly, I have no idea, but I hope and expect
that some of you do.

I work in the International Braille and Technology Center at the Jernigan
Institute, and I feel that in many ways, my job is to catch up with, or at
very best, keep up with technology as it evolves. I need to know what is out
there, what is coming, what access barriers exist for blind users, and what
we should be doing to change them. I write about the latest gadgets,
brainstorm with developers, and help consumers find the right tools to
succeed. I don't have the time or resources to dream about what's coming up
more than a few years from now. I don't have the training to implement the
things I dream of either, but I believe that you will. I know that the
students of today are the innovators of tomorrow.

How do I know? I have seen you in action. I've seen the college students
excelling in every field of knowledge I am aware of, and several I didn't
even know existed. I've seen students of all ages at our programs problem
solve and collaborate on new challenges regularly, and I've seen students
with more confidence and awareness of the possibilities before them, than
ever before. For instance, last fall, about fifteen junior high and high
school students visited the National Center with their parents to
participate in a computer science camp which brought them in contact with
professors and students in the field to learn about careers in computer
science and actually try a bit of web-design. These students were from
varied backgrounds with varying interests, and many differing strengths.
Despite their disparate skills and interests, they had blindness and a love
of technology to pull them together. The camp was short, and I didn't get to
see all of what they did, but what I saw impressed me.

I know that they learned a fair amount about programming theory, careers in
the field of computer science, preparing for college and web design. They
discussed blindness skills with mentors and peers, and no doubt learned a
great many things from these discussions, but I believe that the greatest
benefits of the event were not necessarily the obvious ones. I saw several
students struggle with the projects they were working on. I met students who
reached far beyond their current level of ability, and I saw students
downright frustrated by the tasks they had undertaken. This was a great
sign. It tells me that the upcoming batch of students (and future leaders)
is not afraid to try new and challenging things. It proves that students
will continue to push the edge of what is possible, and to continue to
innovate and improve, not only in their own lives, but in all areas they
influence. The best part is that, although they didn't meet all their goals,
they did meet several of them. They did this through teamwork and
collaboration. One would come up with a great idea, a second would come up
with information on how to implement it, a third could write the text of the
webpage that was required to support the idea, while a fourth quashed bugs.
This sort of cooperation bodes well for the future.

I cannot be sure that any of these students will pursue a career in the
computer sciences. I don't even care if they don't. I believe that these
students will persevere and make a difference in the world, and furthermore,
I believe that the students I've seen at Youth Slam, or Law, or any number
of other programs will carry this torch if these students do not. I believe
that there will be new blind students who have the can-do attitude of the
Federation, the collaborative and cooperative nature of the millennial
generation, and hard won, but well-used blindness skills. They will carry
forward technology, law, medicine, journalism, astronomy, and whatever other
fields they choose to pursue. These students will also fuel the Federation
for another generation to come, and ensure that the generation after will
also get the support they need to soar.

So, perhaps I should have said that the future of the world is in our hands,
not merely technology. I see great potential in the students of the
Federation, and I've already seen the beginnings of your plans for changing
the world. I have the privilege of smoothing the path for your generation,
but I believe that you will use that smooth path, not simply as a road, to
ensure that you can move forward, but as a runway, as you learn to fly.

My Journey to Genetics: Changing What It Means to be a Blind Genetic
Counselor

by Ronit Ovadia

>From the Editor: Ronit Ovadia is a former member of the NABS board, and
currently lives in California. In this article, she talks about her unique
career choice, and the techniques she uses to accomplish her goals.

The first question everyone always asks me when I tell them I am a genetic
counselor is "What is that, and do you counsel genes?" The next question is
"And how do you do that as a blind person?" Before I talk about being a
blind genetic counselor, I'd like to give a quick description of what a
genetic counselor does. Genetic counselors are healthcare professionals who
talk to patients about genetic risks for themselves and their family
members. There are three types of counseling: prenatal, pediatric and
cancer. In prenatal counseling, pregnant patients are told of their risks
for birth defects for their child, and if they have a test which indicates a
higher risk for a genetic condition, counselors educate them about these
risks and offer further testing. In pediatric counseling, children with
developmental delays or medical problems suggestive of a genetic condition
are evaluated and tests are offered. In cancer counseling, families are
evaluated for a possibility of a genetic predisposition to cancer.

I found out about genetic counseling in high school and after job shadowing
a genetic counselor to learn more about the profession, I decided that I
wanted to pursue this as a career. In college, I majored in biology and
psychology, to prepare myself for getting a masters in genetic counseling. I
went to Northwestern University for my masters and spent two years rotating
through different hospitals and clinics getting my training. I then worked
for two years in a prenatal clinic in southern California before deciding to
take a short break to stay at home with my son who was born last year.

So how do I perform the visual parts of my job? Actually, genetic counseling
is mostly non-visual, however, there are some things that do make it a
little more challenging. For example, genetic counselors obtain family
history information from patients and are expected to draw a pedigree, which
is a visual representation of this information. The pedigree has circles
representing females, squares representing males and lines connecting the
people to show relationships. Text is written to describe any medical
problems that may be present in the family. In order to do this, I asked my
now husband, who is a computer programmer, to write me a program to create
these drawings for me based on text information that I enter. The program
creates a drawing which can be printed out and put in the patient's chart.

The only other issue that sometimes comes up is obtaining information from
patient charts. Depending on whether the chart is electronic or on paper, I
use a combination of technology, scanning, and hiring a human reader to read
to me. During my two years at my first job, I hired a reader who helped me
with this task. I worked at a very busy clinic, seeing 12-15 patients a day,
which is quite a lot for a genetic counselor.

The most challenging part of being a blind genetic counselor is not the
logistics of the job itself. Rather, it is convincing others that I am
capable. Disabled people who work in healthcare are not very common, so most
people don't have a lot of experience with capable disabled people. In
addition, the medical model is to "cure" disabilities, so naturally, most
people think that a blind person would not be able to work in a healthcare
setting. In addition to wondering about how I use computers and read charts,
people are always curious about how patients react to having a blind genetic
counselor. This has been a positive for me, because I am able to provide
details from my own life which help patients realize that disabled people
can live full productive lives.

Constantly having to convince others that I am capable can get exhausting
and I often have to step out of my comfort zone and act confident even when
I don't always feel it. However, I always try to keep in mind a few things.
First, I always have the National Federation of the Blind as a support
network. Second, I never lose sight of why I entered the field in the first
place: because I love science and I want to help people understand their
medical situations and make informed choices. Whenever I get frustrated, I
remember that my determination has gotten me further than I ever thought
possible, and I want to be a successful genetic counselor more than
anything. I hope after reading my story, you too will have the courage to
dream big, and have the determination to follow those dreams because we, as
blind people, can do anything we set our mind to.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee