[Nfb-editors] North Carolina "News and Views"

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Wed Dec 4 01:59:58 UTC 2013

Here is the latest newsletter from NC (check out the joke at the end ---
should it be sent to Doctor Maurer to be included in one of his upcoming
monthly Presidential Releases?

NEWS AND VIEWS

Gary Ray, President                                         Katherine W.
Barr, Editor

18 Sandon Dr.
3326 Sharon Road

Asheville, NC 28804
Charlotte, NC 28211

(828) 505-0299
(704) 364-4808

Newsletter of the

National Federation of the Blind

of North Carolina

nfblogo

NOVEMBER, 2013

Federation Board Members 2013-2014

NFB of NC

(Revised 9/15/13)

President

Gary Ray

18 Sandon Drive

Asheville NC 28804

phone 828-505-0338

cell phone 919-417-2885

NFB of NC line 828-505-0299

e-mail: ghray at charter.net

First Vice-President

Tim Jones

76 Silver Lake Pt.

Sanford, NC 27332

cell: 704-491-1486

e-mail: tmjnc2 at gmail.com

Second Vice-President

Lusi Radford

3604 Octavia Street

Raleigh, NC 27606

phone: 919-851-4817

cell: 919-341-6526

e-mail: Lusi98 at nc.rr.com

Secretary

Sharon Weddington

137 Kristens Court Drive

Mooresville, NC 28115

phone: 704-660-3481

cell: 704-302-7308

e-mail: locagirl at windstream.net

Treasurer

Boyce Locklear

P O Box 2633

Lumberton, NC 28359

cell: 910-734-4431

e-mail: blocklear44 at gmail.com

Board Members

Joy Scott

1111 Ivey Church Road

Maiden, NC 28650

phone: 828-428-3239

cell: 864-483-3455

e-mail: joynjesus at live.com

Charles Parker

105 Old Barn Lane

Rocky Mount NC 27804

phone: 252-977-1960

e-mail: angusparker at suddenlink.net

Julius Locklear

2228 Leadenhall Way

Raleigh NC 27603

cell: 910-740-1129

e-mail: julius.locklear1 at gmail.com

Ronald Broadnax

405 Southshore Parkway

Durham, NC 27703

phone: 919-596-0837

cell: 919-740-9131

e-mail: rbroadnax at frontier.com

Laurancene Murphy

2930 Zion Renaissance

Charlotte, NC 28269

phone: 704-971-0303

e-mail: lsm4 at ctc.net

Dr. Gary Davis

28 Eden View

Black Mountain, NC 28711

phone: 828-686-9180

cell: 828-776-9180

e-mail: gl28davis at aol.com

Editor

Katherine Barr

3326 Sharon Rd

Charlotte, NC 28211

phone: 704-364-4808

e-mail: harrysbarr at gmail.com

NCABS President

Alan Chase

1217 Mannassis Court

Raleigh, NC 27609

phone: 910-612-2220

e-mail: achase11 at nc.rr.com

EDITOR'S NOTE

A peaceful holiday to each of you. Many thanks to Harnett and Cumberland
Counties for a great State Convention! It was so good to hug old friends and
meet new ones. We are now undergoing a long-needed update of the News &
Views mailing list, and we need your help! Please pay your ten dollar
membership dues to your chapter secretary no later than January, 2014. If
you are a Member at Large, return the enclosed registration form with your
ten dollar membership fee by January, 2014 (See details under "News
Flash!"). To allow time for updating the mailing list, the next Newsletter
will be March, 2014. We hope to hear news from many chapters. Deadline is
February 28, 2014.

Katherine W. Barr

PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE

By Gary Ray, Pres.

What a wonderful time we had in Fayetteville at our State Convention in
September! Almost 115 NFB of NC members from all across the state gathered
for a rousing good time. The Harnett Chapter did a fantastic job of
organizing the convention. Special thanks go to Tim Jones of Harnett for all
his good work. I cannot remember a time we ate better in our Hospitality
Room. Now, I admit it was hard to get around in the Holiday Inn Bordeaux,
but we all brushed up on our mobility skills during the weekend, eh? It is
always such a blessing to renew our spirits as we talk about the work of the
Federation in North Carolina. Our National Rep, Ron Brown from Indiana, did
a great job, too. We worked him like a dog, but much was learned from his
long years of NFB experience. Ron is the Third Vice President of the NFB,
but he is so knowledgeable and approachable! Ron even said a few wise words
over the stuffed animal mascots from Buncombe County...smile.

During our business meeting on Sunday, Julius Locklear, Ron Broadnax, and
Charles Parker were reelected to the State Board. The Convention passed two
amendments to our State Constitution. We raised our State dues to $10 per
year. These dues will begin in 2014. Another amendment added a Board
position to the State Board that will be filled from among our Members at
Large. Copies of the revised Constitution will be available from Gary Ray or
Sharon Weddington. If you wish to receive an electronic copy of the revised
Constitution, contact one of these folks. Their contact info is at the
beginning of this newsletter.

We had a very nice memorial service Sunday morning for Hazel Staley who died
this summer. Losing Hazel is a blow to the NFB of NC. She will be missed.

Sharon Weddington, our State Secretary, will be leading our delegation to
the 2014 Washington Seminar. The dates for the Seminar will be Monday,
January 27 through Thursday, January 30, 2014. Sharon Newton of Mecklenburg,
with the assistance of Daniel Davis of Buncombe will be making the
appointments for the Seminar. If you are interested in seeing how the NFB
works at the National level, then attendance at the Washington Seminar is a
must. The State Board should be able to offer some limited financial
assistance, but local chapters are encouraged to help folks out who wish to
go. A recent rule of thumb is that individuals will probably have to provide
some of the funding out of their own pockets. Folks wishing to go to DC
should immediately let their Chapter Presidents know and should also let
Gary Ray and Sharon Weddington know. Folks will need to make up their mind
by the end of 2013 because the State has to make all hotel reservations.

Many of us remember the big cleanup of the Braille Monitor mailing list of
some years ago. The NFB of NC is preparing to do the same. Beginning in
2014, the old NFB of NC News and Views mailing list will be scrapped. A new
list will be put in place. The folks who will be on the mailing list are
folks who the Chapters will report as being Chapter members and current
Members at Large. We believe this cleanup will cut our mailing list by
almost one half. Read further in this newsletter for details.

CHAPTER NEWS

Buncombe County

by Doug Smith, Sec.

The Buncombe County chapter has been busy these last few months, enjoying
the activities of the summer season.

Three of our members, Joanne Baker, Doug Smith and Kim Owen went to Camp
Dogwood this year. Our campers visited the resort on two separate sessions
and had fun doing the wonderful summer camp activities. We enjoyed fishing,
boating, swimming, shopping, bowling, picnics, games and more. A wonderful
time was had by all.

Please visit Camp Dogwood if you have never done so. We do not know of
anyone who has ever been there who did not simply love it and who was not
determined to come back the next year.

Four of our members attended the national convention from July 1-6.
Attending the convention were: Gary Ray, Linda Ray, Gary Davis, Darlene
Davis, and Daniel Davis. They participated in several technology-related
meetings such as the talking teleprompter meeting, the K-1000 user's group,
and worked in the vendor hall. Gary and Darlene Davis displayed products to
prospective buyers and Daniel Davis sold the actual products from the
inventory.

The Davis family toured the Kennedy Space Center, where they saw one of the
real space shuttles, which, according to Gary Davis, would have not been
blind friendly to fly. They saw movies, did simulations and visited museums.
They even went to various areas of interest in Orlando.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The necessary arrangements
for blind-friendliness were made including a really good area for guide
dogs. Meetings were held on a wide variety of topics and the members of our
state delegation even had their own-caucus meeting.

The Asheville Smokeys bowling league started on September 6. Two of our
members, Doug Smith and Kim Owen bowled the first games of the new bowling
season. If there is anyone out there in a community with a blind bowling
league, you might just like to join for fun and a good social experience.

Another state convention is behind us. Five of the BFB's members: Billy Gary
Ray, Morrissey, Joanne Baker, Kim Owen and Doug Smith attended this year's
convention which was held at the Holiday Inn Bordeaux in Fayetteville. There
were presentations on leadership, how the Federation works, a technology
track and more. A good time was had by all. Our treasurer Gary Ray received
the pie in the face for the most money in the student division fund raiser.

Mecklenburg County

by Belveia Benzenhafer, Sec.

The Mecklenburg chapter continues to grow. As of now, we have 39 members.
Fifteen of our members went to the national convention. We also had sixteen
members go to the state convention.

Our focus has been on a bingo fundraiser. That was held Oct. 11 and was very
successful. There was lots of public education with family, friends and
volunteers.

We hope everyone has a wonderful holiday in every way, and we will be
talking to you next year.

NEWS FLASH!

News and Views Mailing List Cleanup Coming in 2014

You are reading the last issue of the News and Views that is going out based
on our old mailing list. The State Board decided to send the newsletter to
paid NFB of NC members only starting in 2014. Folks who will receive the
newsletter are those who are paid-up members of one of our local chapters or
current paid-up Members at Large.

So, how do you get on the list? Make sure you are a current dues-paying
member of a local chapter or a current dues-paying Member at Large. The
first method is pretty simple... pay your 2014 dues to your local chapter.
Each chapter is responsible for letting us know who is paid up and should be
getting the newsletter and in what format. Members at Large, on the other
hand, are responsible for their own membership status. At the recent State
Convention, a number of Members at Large were approved. These will be the
only Members at Large who will be added to the mailing list. And these
Members at Large will need to pay dues in 2014 to stay on the list. We hope
to contact current Members at Large to let them know they need to pay dues,
but it is the responsibility of the Member at Large to ensure that their
dues are paid in a timely manner. If you need to know if you are paid up as
a Member at Large, contact Sharon Weddington.

According to the State Constitution, all Members at Large must be voted in
as Members at Large by either the State Board or by the State Convention. We
are putting a copy of the Member at Large application in this newsletter. We
are not going to contact everyone on the old list, so if you are not a
member of a local chapter, you will need to take action to keep getting the
newsletter.

Convention Blitz

by Tim Jones

We want to thank everyone for your participation in the ticket drawing
fundraising project. Because of you & your efforts, it was another success!
Now for the exciting news...our winners are as follows: $300 Walmart Card:
Eva Carter, Winston Salem; $100 gas card: Rodney Turner, Gastonia; $50
Cracker Barrel Card: Edna Dawson, Fayetteville. So, as you can tell, it pays
to participate as you are also funding the movement. The chapter that sold
the most tickets at 399 tickets was awarded a $50 cash prize; that went to
South Iredale. Congratulations, everyone and thanks for a job well done!

As host chapter of the 2013 state convention, The Harnett County Chapter
would like to send out a big shout out of THANKS to our sister chapter,
Cumberland County. Walter House & Gloria Thomas were a tremendous support
with the hospitality room. And, of course, a big thank you to Julius
Locklear for his contributions of the delicious snacks. Thanks to Trish,
David, and the Wilson County chapter who did an outstanding job with our
door prizes.

Enjoy the upcoming holiday season. Best wishes to you and your families.

Tim

LET'S LAUGH!

By Mary Le O'Daniel

Did you hear what happened last week? No, what happened? Well, a naked man
ran out of the woods and all the way through town with a bear following
right behind him. Good night, then what? Of course the sheriff came and
arrested him, took him off to jail. What for? Well, everybody knows you
can't run through town with a bare behind.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://writers.nfb.org

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee

Nebraska Senior Division, Vice President