[Nfb-editors] COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND - September-October 2012 Newsletter

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Feb 4 20:04:40 UTC 2013

COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND

2233 W. Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO  80120

303-778-1130   800-401-4632

ccb at cocenter.org    www. cocenter.org

September-October        er 2012 Newsletter

Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

Message from the Director

The summer months at the Colorado Center for the Blind were filled with
laughter, excitement, new learning and challenges. At this writing, it is
the end of October.  Fall is in the air, we have already had our first snow,
experienced walking through crunchy leaves, been exhilarated by  the crisp
autumn  air and enjoyed freshly baked apple crisp.

Each day our students learn that their blindness does not need to limit
them.  They realize that part of their responsibility is to educate the
public about blindness so they can understand that blind people can compete
equally and effectively with their sighted peers.  October is known as "Meet
the Blind" month.  Students participated in a fair at the Auraria campus,
demonstrated blindness techniques at the Veterans Administration, met with
international students from the Spring Institute and handed out over 1000
pieces of literature in downtown Denver on October 15th.  On October 11th
the center hosted an open house.  Several students volunteered to be tour
guides.  We were pleased to show them our building as we have completed
several renovations since we purchased it from the YMCA in 2000.  This
wouldn't have been possible if we had not received Community Development
Block Grant   funds.  Our guests were just part of the classes that we
teach.  They expressed their appreciation for being invited and were excited
to learn how blind people cook, read and write Braille, use power tools and
access the internet, use iPhones and so much more.

Program Notes

Youth Program

Brent Batron Youth Services Coordinator, a student and the outreach
coordinator for the National Federation of the Blind attended a college fair
at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.  They talked with students
about being successful in college and were pleased to meet so many vibrant
students eager to go off to college. Following their meeting with the
students, they met with Jennifer Langley the new principal at the school to
discuss setting up a mentoring program.

If you are interested in becoming a part of the mentoring program either as
a mentor or mentee, please contact Brent to get started!

Independence Training Program

In September we presented Ellaun with his freedom bell.  Ellaun is from
Missouri and he worked hard throughout his program.   He was always happy to
assist others whether they were students or guests.  Ellaun wants to return
to Denver to obtain employment and to live in his own apartment.

John also proudly rang his bell of freedom in September.  Losing his vision
later in life, John did not believe at first that he could live a happy
life.  While at the center he learned that he could travel all over the city
and especially loved cooking for his friends.

Senior Program

Seniors in Charge:

On October 2nd six seniors came from all over the state and the country to
participate in intensive training for a week.  Our oldest student in this
program was 83.  They all spent time in the woodshop using a router and the
table saw.  The students prepared delicious meals, loved learning Braille
and all used their canes with pride.  Their family members expressed their
appreciation on the last day of this program.  Everyone realizes that they
can continue to be productive and have fun at the same time.  This program
is especially valuable as the seniors have the opportunity to meet all kinds
of blind role models.

Senior groups are available weekly.  For more information, please call
Duncan Larsen at 303-778-1130 extension 226.

Professional Training Program:

We were pleased to have six paraprofessionals with us for a full day of
blindness training.  This group was ready to learn as they are dedicated to
teaching and were excited to develop a variety of blindness techniques.  We
had them utilize a cane with sleepshades to get a good idea about how to
travel.  They learned about technology, home management, Braille and general
information about blindness.

We are always pleased to provide training for professionals.

Staff in the Spotlight

When you call the center you will most likely connect first with Robert
Dyson.  Robert loves talking to perspective students who are thinking about
coming to the center.  He talks with them about blindness and how the center
can give them the skills and confidence they are looking for.  He is a big
reason why students want to come to the center because he makes them feel
very comfortable.  Robert also coordinates our volunteers at the center.
This can be a lot of work as we have many volunteers who drive and do other
jobs for us.

Robert is a graduate of the center.  He lost his vision some years ago and
obtained his first job as a blind person at Citicorp Diners Club.  Robert
credits the center for his success.  He understands what it is like to lose
vision.  He is always encouraging to others and challenges our students to
reach their full potential.  Robert is celebrating 10 years at the center!

Upcoming Events:

November 9: Shark dissection

November 17:  NFB of Denver chapter meeting 10:00 am to noon

November 30: Career fair for blind students

To refer someone who is interested in training, please call Robert Dyson at
303-778-1130 extension 249.

If you have items for the newsletter, please send them to
<mailto:ccb at cocenter.org> ccb at cocenter.org.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee