[Nfb-editors] Idaho - GEM STATE MILESTONES - Winter 2012

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Feb 4 20:34:20 UTC 2013

GEM STATE MILESTONES

Winter 2012

A Publication of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF  IDAHO

Dana Ard, Editor

301 Bruce Ave.

Boise,  ID  83712

E-mail: danalynard at q.com

208-345-3906

Elsie Dickerson, President

211 N 70 E

Malad City,  ID  83252

E-mail: elsiedickerson at ymail.com

208-766-2266

Available in large print, email, Braille, Newsline

or on our website: www.nfbidaho

President’s Message

By Elsie Dickerson, State President

Merry Christmas and Happy 2013

Life has been very busy with many different tasks.  One that has been very
time consuming involves the aftermath of Resolution 12-04 from our state
convention.  I have attended Commission board meetings, met with vendors and
former vendors, met with Angela Jones, and spent numerous hours on the phone
speaking with vendors and others pertaining to this issue.

Our State Convention will be held April 12, 13, and 14 in  Boise at the
Owyhee Plaza Hotel,  1109 Main Street,  Boise  ID  83702.  We need good
attendance at this convention, as there is much work to be done including
election of our officers and three board members.  Our Friday activities
will be different than in previous years.  We are planning a program on
health and fitness which will have something for everyone.  The Friday
evening social will be different than in past years.  Online registration
will be greatly improved and people are encouraged to use this method as it
is most efficient.

We are planning a Legislative Dinner on the evening of Martin Luther King
Day, January 21. It will be at the Owyhee Plaza Hotel, in the Gallery Room;
beginning at 6:00 p.m.  Members from around the state are urged to attend to
talk to legislators about key issues.  The dinner will cost $25.00.  Meal
choices include either beef stroganoff or fried trout. Please contact Jan
Gawith, at 208 342-3066, to let her know your meal choice.  A board meeting
will be held that day and all members are welcome.

We have had a lot of members dealing with very serious illnesses.  Our
thoughts and prayers go out to those members in need.  Congratulations are
in order for the newlyweds Earl and Chere Hoover, and soon to be married
Russell and Staci Smith. We are excited when our members have found
happiness in their life.

A new chapter called the Idaho Phone Chapter has been formed. Adoption of a
constitution and election of officers will take place in January.  Brek
Erickson has been competently heading up this group.  It has been a trend
nationally to set up such phone chapters.

With warmest regards and kind thoughts to all of you, Elsie H. Dickerson

What Are You Reading?

By Mary Ellen Halverson

Reading-Come Rain or Shine We all know the slogan, "Reading Is for
Everyone," and I believe reading is for any time too-on a rainy or snowy
day, on a sunny spring day, or even on a hot summer day.

Recently I read Snowfire, by Phyllis Whitney, written in 1972. I was curious
about the author's life, so I did a little research and discovered that
Phyllis Whitney lived from 1903-2008, and was 104 years old when she died.
She wrote most of her books from the 1960s into the 1990s. She was born in
Japan and lived in several countries around the world. She preferred to call
her novels romance/suspense books.

Snowfire was recently added to the BARD list of books to download and is

also available on cartridge. This was one of her books I had not read in the
past so I downloaded it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It takes place at a ski
resort lodge in the east, but could have easily been located in the
mountains of  Idaho. The heroine's brother, a well known skier, has been
accused of murder so his sister Linda applies for a job at the ski lodge to
do some investigating.

The nearby old mansion in the woods, Graystones, which is complete with a
stone tower, a dusty spooky attic, and a view of stark blackened trees from
a fire, is the scene of many of the chapters of this intriguing book.
Residents of the mansion include a famous skier whose wife was murdered, his
8-year-old emotionally disturbed daughter, and his sister who "floats"
around the mansion and adds the mystical touch that Phyllis seemed to enjoy
in many of her books. The sister's cat also appears to have some
supernatural characteristics and adds a fun touch to the story.

There are exciting scenes on the ski slopes, especially near the end of the
book that will not let you put the book down to cook dinner or do the
laundry.  Although the author gives us clues throughout the book, some of
which are misleading, I did not solve the mystery. Perhaps you will be a
better detective than I was.

The characters come to life and take over parts of your day, your thoughts,
and your time!  I believe that Phyllis Whitney's wonderful skill and talent
as a storyteller are vividly evident in this book and I would recommend that
you read some of her other novels. There are several listed in BARD and on
cartridge.

For me Phyllis Whitney's suspense packed books are timeless.  They are as
fun to read now as when I read those 30 years ago. Snowfire Adult Fiction
DB072265

Retirement

By Larry Sebranek as told to Dana Ard

Note from the Editor:  This will be the second and probably last story about
retirement.  Larry Sebranek is an active member of the Treasure Valley
Chapter and has recently been elected to the chapter board. This is his
retirement story.

Larry began his second career as an operator in the Randolph Sheppard
vending program in 1989.  This program, established in the 1930’s, allows
legally blind people to operate cafeterias and vending facilities in state
and federal buildings and on federal highways.  It is the largest source of
employment for blind people in the U.S.  Over time Larry’s route developed
and became very lucrative.  In 2006 Larry decided to retire. His driver, who
was a college student and extremely good at assisting Larry with the vending
machines, gave a month’s notice.  Larry, who would turn 64 in March of that
year, decided that he would retire. As Larry says, “It’s hard to find
someone that good.” Larry had also lost his wife Kathy in January of that
year. Kathy had planned to retire so that they could enjoy going on cruises.
Following his retirement Larry looked around Lacrosse Wisconsin for other
employment opportunities. Taxes were enormous.

In 2007 Larry married his wife Sue.  They moved to Boise in 2008.  Sue had
been a longtime friend of Mary Ellen and Ray Halverson since their school
days at the Iowa school for the Blind.

The best part of retirement, according to Larry, is being able to do things
whenever they want.  But Larry admits he misses the structure of work. “That
structure helps keep my mind working.  I have been concerned with having too
much down time in retirement.”  “But,” Larry says, “Not to worry about this,
as, you fill up the days.”

Larry is an optimist.  “No matter what I tried, it worked out.  Everyone
predicted that my dad and I would fail at farming but it was lucrative in
those years.  I didn’t know what I would do after I stopped farming, and
then I met Kathy.  I started the vending route in 1989 and that business
built.  I have been so fortunate.”

Voting for my President, and Other Positions

By Bill Morgan

Throughout this last year we all have been overwhelmed with political ads no
matter what we did to minimize the, yes, assault on our private space, day
and night, no matter how we tried to avoid the assault on our senses.
However, when all is said and done, the one idea, and private special
moments I would be able to share in, along with millions of other sighted,
blind, partially sighted, plus many others with reading disabilities
Americans I, as a blind person privileged, would be to enter a place where,
because of the collective work of we the blind and our sighted friends and
supporters, made it the law of the land that we the blind now had a special
machine invented for the totally blind, up to those that were legally blind,
could vote using this machine that was a combination of deep contrasting
colors in displaying the printed words.  Plus, the use of adjustable large
print and, yes, believe it or not, a "Braille!" tactile key pad.

Those of us that use large print could make it larger or smaller as needed
by adjusting the size, color, and background.  This isn't all.  We weren't
just handed a controller and then said to us, "Here you go.  Figure it out
for yourself."

Part of this real deal with us was that they had to train people to use
these machines so we, the blind and visually impaired, plus others that have
trouble reading as well, would then train us to use this new fangled
machine.  The result would be that those of us that had never voted
independently would be able to do so.  One of the largest obstacles was the
cost.  Just in Idaho there are 1000 voting districts. This meant each
district, because of federal law, had to have at least one of these $6,500
voting machines.  When you do the math, $6,500 times 1,000 equals
$6,500,000.  Yes, that's right, six million five hundred thousand bucks it
would cost the state of Idaho.  That's only part of the story.  Paul Harvey
use to say, “The rest of the story" is that we, the N.F.B. and every state
capital across this nation, fought for this for at least ten years if I
remember correctly.  We started with letters then met face to face with
congress men and women.  Then many others as well had to be won over in
admission.  Remember that each state had to do its own work with other
states helping out where they could.  Also, we would get help from our
headquarters in Baltimore as well.  We, the blind in the NFB across this
nation, made the decision to not stop until we had that right, and then the
way, that we could all vote independently for ourselves and by ourselves,
unless we asked for help along the way.  I will never forget when the voting
machine was brought to the Commission for us to look at and try out.  The
voting commission then trained people with sight how to show anyone, blind
or partially sighted, how to use this wonderful machine know matter the
disability.  I just now remember that there is even a tube on this machine
that, if you can do nothing else but blow into a straw like tube to mark
your vote, that can be done as well. So many years I remember wondering what
it would be like to be able to vote without someone else having my voting
info of for whom or what I cast my votes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the wondering has been over for a long time now. We
can have this experience if we will plan to vote independently and carry out
that plan. Does it matter?  Damn right it does! Remember, this is no longer
just an idea or a dream, its for real, the real deal, if we put out the
effort to demonstrate to all Americans across this great land that, yes, we
can vote by ourselves too!  Why vote at home, when I don't have to, and give
up my personal right of one vote for one man or woman that fought for the
right unto death, all Americans no matter what our physical condition is?
Damn Right!  We too have the right, I would argue, the obligation, to do so
unless there's a good reason not to. Because of breakthroughs regarding
blindness, because today's Technologies are coming so fast, we don't realize
how fast, wonderful things out there are just waiting for us to find out
about them and put them to work to better our lives, as I write this.

When I was in the third through the ninth grade the only reading tool there
was that I could use somewhat was a small magnifier in which I saw one word
or half a word at a time, depending if it was longer than six letters.  You
would screw the lenses up or down for focus and, since it was sitting on
three legs like a milk stool, we called it the milk stool magnifier.  This
type of magnifier came with, (at no charge what-so-ever), embarrassment,
headaches, stiff backs and necks, and, because you had to read with one eye
only, eye aches in your good eye. I don't know about you, but, when I had to
have my wife Lynda read my ballot to me, it got to me because she had a
choice that I didn't.  It didn't matter who it was, it was wrong because one
of, possibly the most cherished right we have in America, is the right to a
“Private” and, yes, the obligation of one vote one person.

The next challenge in our right to vote is to make it so these machines can
be used in all voting.  As it is today they are brought out for federal
elections only, but not for state or local issues.  Remember, the total cost
for the state of Idaho is six million five hundred thousand dollars.

Online Survey of Blind and Visually Impaired Voters Now Available

If you are blind or visually impaired and voted in the 2012 United States
presidential election, the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) needs your
feedback!  Whether you voted at the polls on an accessible machine or with
assistance, by mail, or by absentee ballot, we want to hear about your
experience.  Please visithttps://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7KZSHGS to complete
a twenty-five question survey of your voting experience.  It only takes a
couple of minutes to complete the survey.

The results of the survey will be provided to state election officials and
state protection and advocacy agencies to help improve the accessibility of
future elections.  Funding for the survey was provided through a Help
America Vote Act (HAVA) grant from the Administration for Children and
Families, United States Department of Health and Human Services. Questions
about the survey or accessible voting should be directed to Lou Ann Blake,
NFB HAVA project manager, at lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2221.

Accessible Signals in  Ada  County

By Ryan Head, ACHD  ADA Coordinator

In April 2011 the Ada County Highway District (ACHD) installed the first
Accessible Pedestrian Signals (APS) in Ada County at two intersections along
University Avenue in Boise: Joyce Street and Lincoln Avenue.  Both of these
locations are on the  Boise  State  Universitycampus. Since that time ACHD
has actively sought to implement APS technology as it installs new signals
or modifies those existing.  The goal of this effort is to improve the
accessibility of pedestrian network for all users.

What is APS and how does it work

APS is a pedestrian crossing device used to provide a sequence of verbal and
tactile cues to pedestrians seeking to cross a road at a signal.  A low beep
is continually emitted by the device to help pedestrians locate the push
button.  The button includes a raised arrow to orient a pedestrian in the
direction of the crossing.  Once pushed, the device acknowledges the
pedestrian, instructing them to “Wait” to cross.  Once the Walk indicator
lights up, the push button vibrates, a feature which can be felt by a
pedestrian with hearing impairment. The next phase of the signal indicates
that the “Walk” sign is on and the person can cross the street.  This
message is delivered in one of two ways.  For most signals the indication
will be a rapid percussive tone sounding similar to a machine gun firing.
This tone is used in situations where the different push buttons for the
different crossing directions can be sufficiently separated on the same
corner, thus seeking to eliminate confusion between the push buttons.  In
situations where physical constraints do not allow the separation of the
APS, a voice command is used.  For a person crossing University Avenue, the
message would say, “University, the walk sign is on to cross University”.
This would be repeated until the walk indication expires at which point the
signal returns to the low beep locator tone.

Where can it be found in  Ada  County

Since installing APS at the two intersections along  University Avenue, ACHD
has installed APS at a number of additional locations:

-       Capitol Boulevard and  Broad Street

-       Capitol Boulevard and  Grove Street

-      Eagle Road and  River Valley Street

-      Front Street and  2nd Street

-      Front Street and  8th Street

-       Main Street and  8th Street

In addition to seeking to include APS in new or modified signals, beginning
in 2012, ACHD asked its Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Advisory
Committee to identify and prioritize additional locations for retrofits to
APS at existing signals. This fall ACHD visited and initiated plans for nine
different locations identified as high priorities by the Advisory Committee
that will be integrated into upcoming budgeting efforts for construction.

For those interested in obtaining more information on ACHD’s efforts with
regards to APS, please contact Ryan Head, ACHD’s ADA Coordinator, at
rhead at achdidaho.org.

If You Encounter Discrimination the  Idaho Human Rights Commission can help

By Dana Ard

Recently one of our  Treasure  Valley chapter members told me that she had
been discriminated against at a hair salon when she went in for a haircut.
She was told that she could not bring her guide dog with her if she wanted
to receive service and have her hair cut. She was told that having a guide
dog in a hair salon was a health code violation. As a guide dog handler
myself, I know this isn’t true.  So what can a person do in a situation like
this?

First, it is important to keep accurate records concerning what happened,
the dates that the situation occurred, what was said, and who was involved.
Without this specific data nothing can be done.

In the state of Idaho the Idaho Human Rights Commission is charged with
resolving situations of discrimination.  The Idaho Human Rights Act, title
67, chapter 59, section 6, paragraphs A-F, is the Idaho law that serves as
their guide.  They can address discrimination claims in employment, public
accommodation, and housing. The first step is an informal investigation.
The person who has experienced discrimination contacts the Idaho Human
Rights Commission and explains the situation. The person needs to specify
what they want as a result of the investigation. For instance, one of our
members had been discriminated concerning employment. He wanted the company
to have training on blindness and he wanted a chance to work for the
company.  The Human Rights Commission investigator will contact the entity
in question and state the situation.  The investigator will give information
on the law and ask the entity how they would like the situation handled.  If
the informal process does not work the claimant can file a formal complaint.
The commissioners will attempt to resolve the situation to avoid going to
court.  The claimant can file a law suit if desired.

I am familiar with two employment discrimination situations that were
handled by the Idaho Human Rights Commission.  In both situations, the
individual was given the opportunity for a job.

If you, as a blind person, encounter discrimination, contact the Idaho Human
Rights Commission at 888 249-7025, or 334-2873 or athumanrights.idaho.org.
Discrimination is never pleasant, but in  Idaho, we have an advocate in the
Idaho Human Rights Commission. They are a great resource.

What do you do when 50 zombies surround your house?

Hope its Halloween!

By Laine Amoureux

There is only one thing scarier than 50 zombies surrounding your house and
that is upgrading your computer and/or screen reading software or other
adaptive technology!  In this article I will focus on the decision to
upgrade or maintain your screen reading and scan and read hardware/software
combinations.  And, you will find a fun, fall fruit salad recipe in the mix.

Your screen reading software options are JAWS for Windows, Window-Eyes,
System Access, and the freebies NVDA and Thunder.  If your computer needs
are to be able to create documents, browse the web, and possibly download
books from BARD, the freebies will most likely meet your needs.  If you
desire to stay connected using the ever popular social networking websites
that are out there these days, to conduct a lot of research, access
informational sites like YouTube and Wikipedia, then perhaps you would
consider the other screen readers.   For OCR, scan and read software, you
have no free options, and the lowest cost options, like Omni Page, do not
promote independence in the OCR process, as they require sighted assistance.
DocuScan Plus, OpenBook, and Kurzweil are the three least expensive options
promoting the greatest independence.  DocuScan is the most cost effective
and, in my opinion, the easiest to learn to use.  The next piece of the
puzzle that really puts a strain on the pocket is the maintenance of
software.  Maintenance agreements are critical!  These agreements ensure
that you receive updates and upgrades and continue to have access to the
ever changing main stream technologies.

I will compare companies rather than products. I want to start with Serotek
as they offer the greatest variety of products and services with the most
flexible payment and maintenance options.  System Access screen reader
($395), DocuScan plus OCR software ($299), and a service called SAMNet ($120
per year). If you purchase both products, one extra voice and the service,
the cost is $836.  You can purchase any combination of these products and
services at any time and your payment can be as low as $10 per month, or as
high as $35 per month.  When you compare that to what you pay for Internet
service, cable, or your cell phone, it doesn't seem like too large of an
investment for access to the World Wide Web and to all of your printed and
electronic files.  Serotek offers numerous benefits including access
anywhere, any time, on any computer, ongoing maintenance, and a few low
vision features others cannot offer.  And depending on the combination of
products and services you select, you have access to a social network
designed specifically for the blind, to the mainstream social networking web
sites, and 50,000 plus described videos.

Freedom Scientific seems to be the most well-known.  JAWS for Windows may
cost $895 or $1295 and the OCR product, OpenBook, costs $995.   If you were
to purchase both products you would spend as little as $1890 or as much as
$2290. Freedom Scientific does not offer a payment plan and the maintenance
fee’s average annual cost is $162. This includes only updates and upgrades.
JAWS does have some features like the convenient OCR and Research-it tool
which I would recommend for those who are doing large volumes of research,
and OpenBook, as superior low-vision features, for those who might use them.
To learn more visit www.freedomscientific.com

GWMicro offers Window-Eyes screen reader for $895.  GWMicro also offers a
payment plan of $35 per month and the average, annual, maintenance cost is
about $100.  For comparison purposes here, the most notable feature that
sets Window-eyes apart from the competition, as far as features, is the
mouse echo.  I also prefer the way Window-Eyes has users conduct spell check
in Word documents.  The truly unique features of Window-Eyes tend to be for
the advanced users, and those who conduct troubleshooting on their
computers.  The newest feature is the ability to boot up in “safe mode”,
usually something reserved for a technician who is trying to diagnose a
problem.  For more information visitwww.gwmicro.com.

Kurzweil manufactures is the third OCR software mentioned.  Kurzweil 1000
costs $995 and, on an annual average, the maintenance cost is around $75.
Kurzweil, like OpenBook, has a variety of low-vision features that some may
wish to take advantage of.  I cannot come up with any features that really
make either product stand apart from the other. For more information visit
www.kurzweiledu.com.

I diverge from the discussion of companies to discuss the free screen
readers.  It is no April fools or Halloween trick.  There really are FREE
screen readers.  The disadvantage, however, is that these free screen
readers are created using a technique called “Open Source”, which is better
defined below, and are frequently the cause of a computer crash or critical
repair.  You will also find that most agencies serving the population don’t
support these products because they are constantly under construction and
have a higher risk of viruses associated with them.   If you want to get a
list of each program’s features you can visit the following web sites:
www.nvda-project.org or www.screenreader.net.

My interpretation of Open source, defined as a philosophy that promotes free
distribution and access to a products design and implementation is that
anyone with the know-how can add to or edit a computer program’s code, and,
in essence, re-program it any way he or she sees fit.  The idea is that the
experience and expertise of the individuals with the ability to do this will
make the best possible program with the most advanced features and superior
compatibility with other technology.  For screen reader and OCR users this,
in theory, would mean greater access to electronic material and programs
like Quicken, which are currently inaccessible.  I would compare this to
cooking
 Let’s say you are making an "open source fruit salad."  You and 5
friends are each going to make a batch of fruit salad before going to the
pot-luck, and when you get there, you are going to mix them all into one
large bowl to make the best fruit salad anyone has ever tasted! .   As you
may imagine, each person has his or her own favorite recipe, many of which
may include ingredients in one fruit salad that may not be palatable when
paired with the ingredients of another.

Can you imagine coconut, orange, strawberry, pineapple, Lime, mango fruit
salad with walnuts, tapioca, cool whip, real cream, cottage cheese, and kit
Kat bars?  This is what one might end up with if each member of the team is
left to create their own salad without guidelines or guidance. If one person
was the “center point of contact” and each person involved in the fruit
salad creation contacted this person to see what work had already been done,
or whether the individual’s concept would mesh with others, perhaps you
would end up with a more consistent recipe that might look a little
something like this:

Fun Fall Snickers Salad with a Twist

1 12 OZ container of Cool Whip, thawed

1 8 OZ package of Cream Cheese, room temperature

2 - 4 cups of powdered sugar (add more if you want a thicker base)

1/4 cup brown sugar (optional for caramel flavor)

2 - 3 Red Delicious Apples (or other Apples of your preference)

2 King Sized Snickers bars, (or, candy bar of your choosing)

1 Cup mini marshmallows (Optional)

Mix Cool Whip, Cream Cheese, and optional brown sugar in large bowl. Beat
until smooth.  Add powdered sugar in 1/4 cup increments, beating eau into
the mix until smooth until it reaches the consistency you prefer. Chop
Apples and candy bar into bite sized or smaller chunks and fold into the
Cream Cheese Cool Whip mixture. Fold mini-marshmallows in if you choose.

Open Source programming, like that which makes up programs like NVDA or
Thunder, often times have a similar ending to the open source fruit salad.
Many times these “free open source programs” do not have one contact point
in which to give each of the contributors guidance, or to take each idea and
manipulate it to better fit the work that has already been done.
Programming is a lucrative field and no one is paying for their services
when a product is free, so, no one person wants the job of taking each
individual contribution and mixing it into the end product. The result is a
minimally functional screen reading software that may or may not be written
to work with the latest and greatest technologies on the web, or other
programs on your computer, thus making the computer seem to behave
strangely.  If no one is there to look at what individuals are dumping into
the program code someone may accidently drop in a virus.

When it comes down to which product is the BEST, the answer is, “which
product meets your needs?”  One of the largest concerns is the cost, but
remember, there are resources like the Idaho Assistive Technology Project
low-interest rate loans (www.idahoat.org), places like the lilac Services
for the blind (www.lilacblind.org), the Blind Services Foundation
(www.blindservicesfoundationidaho.org), and even the NFB Technology Loan
program that is ran through the National office in Baltimore. The technical
details of this article are most definitely scarier than Zombies!  I'll take
the walking dead any day!  If you have questions, comments or concerns with
an article, or ideas for future articles, please e-mail
laine.amoureux at gmail.com.

RECIPES

Several members have requested more recipes.  I will try to have recipes in
every issue.  Here are some to get you started.

Green Beans with Onions and Almonds

This is a good alternative to the traditional green bean casserole.  I
adapted it from another recipe and used it as part of Thanksgiving dinner
this year.

2 t. olive oil

4 c. sliced onions (about 2 large)

1 16 oz. package frozen green beans

¼ c. slivered almonds
(continue on next page)

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a nonstick fry pan.  Add onions and cook stirring often
25-30 minutes until tender and lightly brown.  Cook green beans according to
package directions or until desired tenderness.  Drain and add to onions.
Toast almonds if desired and add to beans and onions.

Low Fat Ice Box Muffins

I made these for our recent bake sale. They are great for breakfast

2 c. water boiled and cooled.  Add 5 t. soda to the water and set aside.

In a large bowl cream 1 c. applesauce, 2 c. sugar, and 1 T. salt. Add 1 qt.
buttermilk, 5 c. flour, and 4 c. All Bran cereal, and 2 c. 40% bran flakes,
2 c. dates or raisins or a combination, and 1 c. chopped nuts.  Add soda and
water mixture and blend.  Place in muffin cups filling about ½ full Bake at
400 degrees for 20 minutes.  The batter will keep in the refrigerator for 5
weeks.

I have used chopped figs or dried cranberries in place of raisins.  You can
use 1 c. shortening in place of the applesauce or use half of each.  You can
also add 2 eggs to the batter if you wish.  The recipe can be easily halved.

Grandma’s Potato Rolls

Every year my Grandmother made these for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

½ c. mashed potatoes (1 small potato)

½ c. scalded milk

1 egg well beaten

1/3 c. butter

¼ c. sugar

¾ t salt

2-1/2 c. flour

1 package active dry yeast

¼ c. luke warm water

Scald milk.  Add butter, sugar, salt, egg and potato.  Combine yeast and
water and add. Add ½ c. flour and mix well.  Add more flour to make dough
that you can mix with your hands.  Let rise for 1 hour.  Roll out on floured
board or pastry cloth.  Cut dough using a glass.  Fold each circle over and
pinch edges to close.  Let rise 20-30 minutes.  Bake on cookie sheet at 375
for 15-20 minutes.

Ham and Potato Soup

By Susan Ford

(Editors note: this recipe appeared in the July edition of the Braille
Monitor)

6 cups water

7 tsp. chicken granules (I use less because it is pretty salty)

2 8 oz. packages cream cheese cubed

30 oz .frozen hash browns, thawed (from  Idaho of course)

1 1/2 cups ham cubed

1 1/2 cups onion chopped

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. dried dill weed

Bring water and chicken granules to a boil and add cream cheese, hash
browns, cubed ham, chipped onion, garlic powder, and dill weed. Simmer soup
till veggies are done, about 20 minutes.  Serves twelve.

Tomato and Shrimp Skillet

By Susan Bradley

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 tsp. oregano

3/4 tsp. salt

Sprinkle pepper

2 Tbsp. sliced green onions

Cherry tomatoes, halved

Sweet pepper slices

12 oz. frozen, peeled & deveined medium shrimp, thawed

In a pan add oil and garlic stirring frequently for about 30 seconds to
release flavor.  Stir in tomatoes, peppers, and green onions.  Stir in
oregano, salt, and pepper.  Add shrimp, stirring periodically.  Cook until
shrimp turn opaque, about 2 minutes.  Serve over fettuccine noodles and
sprinkle with feta cheese crumbles

Quickie  Cincinnati Chili (serves 4)

By Susan Bradley

12 oz. spaghetti

2 tsp. vegetable oil

1 Lb. lean ground beef                                      (continue on

1 small onion (4 – 6 oz) chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 Tbsp. chili powder

1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa

1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes

1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

3 sliced green onions

Heat a large covered saucepan of salted water to boiling on high and cook
spaghetti as label directs, (if you don’t plan to serve the chili
immediately, toss the drained spaghetti with 1/2 tsp oil so that it doesn’t
stick when you serve it).

In a 3 quart saucepan, heat oil on medium heat and add beef, onion, and
garlic.  Cook 2 minutes, stirring and breaking up the beef.  Add chili
powder, cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Cook 1 minute then
add tomatoes.

Heat to simmering and simmer mixture 8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Stir in beans and simmer 2 minutes or until beans are heated.

Drain spaghetti and divide on 4 serving plates.  Top with chili, cheddar
cheese, and green onions.

Oreo Balls

By Vickie Bateman

1 regular size package of Oreo cookies

1 8 oz. package of  Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Chocolate Almond Bark

Pour the Oreo cookies into a gallon zip-lock bag.  Seal the bag, pushing all
the air out of the bag as you close it.  Use a rolling pin and while the
cookies are in the bag, roll them until they are crushed very fine.  In a
bowl, mix the cream cheese with the crushed cookie mixture.  Blend with a
hand mixer until smooth.  Place some oil on your hands and roll small balls
from the cookie mixture.  Place the balls on wax paper on a cookie sheet.
Chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.  Then melt chocolate
almond bark in a double boiler.  Dip each ball individually in the melted
chocolate and then place them back onto wax paper.  Let the balls set up in
a cool area.  Enjoy!

THE END

Voice of the Nations Blind

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers’ Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee