[Nfb-editors] The Palmetto Blind -Fall-Winter 2012

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Jan 20 21:02:35 UTC 2013

The Palmetto Blind

The voice of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

FALL-WINTER 2012

Web page:   <http://www.nfbsc.net/> http://www.nfbsc.net

E-mail:  nfbsc at sc.rr.com

            The PALMETTO BLIND, published quarterly in large print, cassette
tape and Braille by the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.
Donald C. Capps, Editor.

            The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is
chartered under the laws of the state of South Carolina to promote the
spiritual, social and economic well-being of all blind South Carolinians.
The state organization is an affiliate of the nation's oldest and largest
organization of the blind--the National Federation of the Blind.

            The PALMETTO BLIND is the voice of the National Federation of
the Blind of South Carolina and is available free of charge to any blind
individual or member in large print, Braille or cassette.  Other subscribers
are encouraged.  If readers desire to do so, donations to cover the annual
subscription cost of $10.00 per year may be made payable to the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina and sent to:

            David Houck, Treasurer

            National Federation of the Blind of SC

            119 S. Kilbourne Rd.

            Columbia, SC 29205

            Readers receiving the cassette edition of the PALMETTO BLIND are
requested to handle the tapes with care, returning them promptly for the
benefit of other readers.  In the event that you receive a bad tape, before
returning it, please enclose a note or attach a rubber band around the
cassette tape to prevent further circulation.  Braille or large print copies
may be retained for personal libraries.

            If you or a friend would like to remember the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina (also known as the SC Aurora Club
of the Blind, Inc.) in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:  "I give, devise, and bequeath unto the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina (aka SC Aurora Club of the Blind, Inc.), a
non-profit organization, the sum of $________________ (or "_______________
percent of my ___________estate" or "the following stocks and
bonds:____________") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons and to be held and administered by the direction of its Executive
Committee and Board of Directors."

Table of Contents

56th Annual NFB of SC Convention - Resounding Success!  By David Houck

The Philosophy of Judgment  By Parnell Diggs

Resolution 2012-01

Ruth C. Jordan Honored  By JW Smith

Pair Attends Federation of Blind Convention  By Anna Brown

Letter from Margaret Park, President, SCSDB

>From the President's Desk  By Parnell Diggs

Letter from Rotary Governor District 7770

Meet the Blind Month  By Parnell Diggs

No Sight to Judge  By Deena C. Bouknight

October 20 Fall Festival Successful  By David Houck

Reflections on the White Cane safety day Proclamation  By Parnell Diggs

>From the Editor's Desk  By Donald C. Capps

Final Thought

56th Annual NFB of SC Convention - Resounding Success!

By David Houck

            The August 10, 11 and 12, 2012 NFB of SC 56th annual convention
was eagerly anticipated by federationists and others from across the state.
In fact, although it rained much prior to the beginning of the convention,
spirits were not dampened as many participants began to arrive on Thursday
and the remaining coming in all day Friday at the Spartanburg Marriott.

            The Exhibit Hall, coordinated by David Houck, and Registration,
chaired by Darlene Houck, opened promptly at 1:00 p.m. Friday afternoon.
Almost 90 percent of the delegates had pre-registered, allowing swift access
to name tags and agendas.  With Registration in the midst of the Exhibit
Hall, there was much to see from agencies and vendors.  Cruise ticket sales
were brisk and Fun Day tickets were snatched up as well throughout the
convention.  The Friday afternoon Drop In was well attended as
federationists met and caught up with each other, enjoying refreshments
which were provided.  Later, there was more meet and greet time in the
Presidential Suite.  NFB of SC divisional meetings went on during the late
afternoon hours and a new division for the Senior Blind was established with
Shelly Coppel as its first President.  Congratulations, Shelley!  A White
Cane Walk-A-Thon meeting chaired by Carey Burriss and a Resolutions
Committee meeting chaired by Valerie Warrington also met.  The 8:00 p.m.
Reception and Hospitality, hosted by the Spartanburg Chapter, had a Medieval
Times theme including a costume contest.  Now that all had come together
from every corner of the state, enjoying good food, fellowship and a variety
of meetings, it was now time to get set for the upcoming convention sessions
over the long weekend.

            Both Saturday and Sunday mornings got off to a great start as
the Blind Merchants Division provided a continental breakfast for convention
delegates.  At the same time Saturday morning the Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center of the Blind (RBRCCB) Board meeting was held.  It was good
to see Donald and Betty Capps at the convention following an extended
illness and recovery period.  Dr. Capps was back as if there had been no
problem, bringing his new friend, "Charlie," his walker along with Betty
Capps at his side.  There was much discussion about the upcoming Labor Day
Fun Day Festival at RBRCCB.

            President Diggs called the Saturday morning session to order at
9:00 a.m. sharp and he immediately had Door Prize Chairperson, Lenora
Robertson draw a name so that he could present a $100 bill to Nancy Gibson!
Tommy Ingle opened the meeting in prayer.  Both Chris Jeter, President of
the host Spartanburg Chapter and Loretta Green, President of the Upper
Dorchester Chapter welcomed the delegates, expressing their positive outlook
on the whole convention.  President Emeritus Dr. Donald Capps also welcomed
convention goers, expressing his thanks for all the calls, cards, letters,
etc. made by many attending the convention during his recent illness and
recovery and that he was back to normal and invigorated to be at this, his
56th convention.  Janice Smith gave a report on convention arrangements and
announcements.  She worked hard before and during the convention, making
certain that all went smoothly.  NFB National Representative, Joe Ruffalo,
President of the NFB of New Jersey, gave the NFB National Report.  He first
met Dr. Capps and Betty Capps in 1990 and that changed his outlook on life.
He concentrated on the passage of the Fair Wages for the Blind and Disabled
Act, H.3086 in Congress and the upcoming nationwide protest against Goodwill
Industries which will take place on August 25.  Parnell Diggs mentioned that
there will be as many as six Goodwill protests in South Carolina that day.
The blind and disabled community should not be paid less than minimum wage
while the management makes off with huge salaries on the backs of these
disabled workers.  Mr. Ruffalo also spoke concerning accessible
technologies, Newsline and Braille literacy.  President Maggie Park spoke
concerning progress at the School for the Deaf and the Blind.  She discussed
changes in School leadership, mainstreaming more students into the public
school system, Walmart and Call Center training programs for the students
and a new service dog training program for the disabled.  Don Bradley,
Director of Vocational Rehabilitation at the Commission for the Blind
reported increases in the number of blind individuals being served as well
as an increase in their quality of placements.  This is especially pleasing
as the economy makes it difficult to find high quality jobs to fill.  He
also encouraged the delegates to become involved with the upcoming
Rehabilitation Services Administration's review of the agency.  A
constitutional amendment which replaces the six Congressional District
positions with six districts listed by counties was read at the morning
session with some discussion and was voted upon unanimously in favor by the
convention voting delegates in the afternoon session.  In this way, as
Congressional Districts change in the future, this will not affect the
election of board positions.  Shannon Cook presented the 2012 NFB of SC
Scholarship class, having each tell a bit about themselves and their
educational and career aspirations.  These are our future leaders in work
with the blind.    Parnell Diggs gave a rousing Presidential Report.  It is
detailed in its entirety elsewhere in this issue of the Palmetto Blind.  Ed
Bible also presented how ACN will benefit the NFB of SC through members
signing up to pay for their services through the NFB of SC ACN web site,  It
costs nothing and may save you money without changing your buying habits.

            The Saturday afternoon Luncheon was well attended as every seat
was filled.  Head table dignitaries included state agency officials, our NFB
Representative Joe Ruffalo, Bob Barbera from Buffalo, New York, Robert
Smith, 2nd Vice President from the NFB of Georgia, NFB of SC officers and
our Keynote Speaker, General Assembly Representative Rita Allison from
Lyman.  She spoke well of the School for the Deaf and the Blind as well as
the decades of legislative work done by the NFB of SC.  Rep. Allison was a
former recipient of the NFB of SC's prestigious Legislator of the Year
Award.  She demonstrated how positive attitudes promote positive
opportunities.

            The Saturday afternoon session got off to a good start with
Sandy Knowles, the new Director of Talking Book Services reporting on the
progress in the talking book program.  Talking Book Services is moving into
the State Library building from their current location in the former State
Archives Building which may cause some minor disruptions.  Everything will
be digital by 2015 as cassettes are being phased out.  Dr. Donald Capps,
Chairman of the Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind
Board of Directors reported on the Labor Day Fun Day activities.  He
encouraged as many as possible to come and enjoy the weekend festivities,
especially on Labor Day.  He asked the large crowd to sell their Fun Day
tickets, bring auction items and contribute toward the food costs for the
weekend.  It's the only annual statewide fundraiser the camp has.  Director
Vicki Phillips reported on the successful Children's Camp and Director Frank
Coppel reported on the Spring and upcoming Fall Senior Camps.  Both camping
experiences offer much in fellowship, fun, education and training.  David
Houck, Executive Director of the Federation Center of the Blind reported on
the Computer Lab Classes and Home Management Classes taking place at the
Center this year.  Dorothy Barksdale has done a heroic job teaching the
computer classes while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer treatment, not
allowing it to interfere with her teaching.  Office computer and copier
upgrades are increasing our ability to serve the needs of the blind and do
more things in house to save money on producing things like brochures,
agendas, letterheads and even business cards.  Our Braille capacity even has
improved as we produce more things like church bulletins, restaurant menus,
computer adaptive software training manuals like Microsoft Word, Excel and
Internet Explorer into Braille.  Dr. Tina Hertzberg of USC Upstate revealed
how teachers of blind children are being developed today by overcoming
formatting issues, creating tactile displays, and carrying out a Braille
Symposium.  A panel discussion was presented on Why I am a Federationist
which included Timothy Reed, a Jernigan Scholarship winner, Robert Smith,
2nd Vice President of the NFB of GA, Bob Barbera of Buffalo, NY and Joe
Ruffalo, President of the NFB of NJ.  The thread that tied these blind
people together was seeing the transformation that takes place when they
were introduced to the federation on a local, state and national level.  As
Joe Ruffalo put it, "No one cares how much you know until they know how much
you care."  A parade of chapter and division presidents gave their annual
activity reports.  It is very interesting and informative to see the many
distinct ways chapters operate, do activities and raise funds.  This is
second only to the annual Leadership Seminars where these presidents go into
greater detail about the operation of chapters and divisions.  President
Diggs reported on the much anticipated 2013 Orlando NFB Convention.  Bus
Fund tickets are being printed and will be distributed following Fun Day to
chapters and divisions across the state.  Everyone is expected to turn it up
a notch in ticket sales as the chartered busses cost more each year to
transport members to the national convention.

            The Saturday evening Banquet was here at last, the highlight of
the convention.  Again, the head table was full of dignitaries and the room
was packed.  As the meals were being served, Lenora Robertson, with help
from Ellen Taylor, called out many door prizes to distribute.    As things
got underway, everyone settled in to hear our Keynote Speaker, Joe Ruffalo.
He spoke of the stages of blindness: anger, denial, acceptance, and growth
with a "can do" attitude.  Awards were distributed by their respective
committee chairmen including Ed Bible awarding the Employer of the Year
Award to the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind for hiring the blind over
the years.  Frank Coppel awarded the Associate Member of the Year Award to
Glenda Culick for her dedication to the federation in a number of ways.
Marty McKenzie awarded the Educator of the Year Award to Santosh Kumar
Bommera who demonstrated great commitment in educating blind children.
Shannon Cook presented the following scholarship awards:  $1,170.00 to Chris
Jeter - $500 Ruth Jordan Greenville Chapter Scholarship, $370 Anna Miller
Memorial Scholarship, and $300 Dr. Sheila S. Breitweiser Scholarship.
$1,100.00 Malik Tanner - $600 Jimmie Smith Memorial Anderson Chapter
Scholarship, $300 N. Augusta Chapter Scholarship, and $100 Metro
Scholarship.  $1.125.00 Rashad Morgan - $625 Belvedere Chapter Scholarship,
and $500 Don Robertson Memorial Rock Hill Chapter Scholarship.  $1,100.00
Takala Nelson -          $500 John Fling Memorial Columbia Chapter
Scholarship, $500 Lynn & Clarence Hornsby Scholarship, and $100 Metro
Scholarship.  Congratulations to all these deserving scholarship recipients!
In less time than it takes to bake a loaf of bread, the convention delegates
raised $10,000 in cash and pledges for the NFB of SC and the Federation
Center of the Blind.  Even guide dogs and pets got involved in contributing.
Ed Bible contributed $1,150 as the highest bid on a guitar used and signed
by Darius Rucker, the former lead singer with Hootie and the Blowfish.
Isaiah Nelson had the winning cruise ticket and chose the $1,000 cash prize!
At the conclusion of the Banquet, Joe Ruffalo remarked, "NFB means Never
Felt Better!"

            Sunday morning got off to an early start for the NFB of SC Board
of Directors who held their board meeting at 7:00 a.m.  Much discussion was
made concerning the January Carnival cruise and the Orlando convention in
July 2013.  Joe Ruffalo had to catch his train back to New Jersey but he
stated he enjoyed this, his 26th state convention he has visited as a
national representative.  Marty McKenzie did a superb job with the
devotional and memorial service and singing, "His Eye is on the Sparrow."
The remaining chapter and division reports were heard followed by a
resolution concerning fair wages for the blind which passed unanimously.
This resolution is found elsewhere in this edition of the Palmetto Blind.
David Houck, Treasurer for both the NFB of SC and RBRCCB, read the
respective end of year financial reports which were approved as read.
President Diggs went over our stewardship to the national NFB as we do not
pay any dues to the national organization.  The PAC (Pre-Authorized Check)
Plan was reviewed and PAC forms were available for distribution.  In this
way, you can determine how much you want to donate monthly and at which time
of the month - its painless!  The Imagination Fund was discussed and how it
is changing.  A portion goes to the NFB and a portion goes to each state
affiliate and a portion goes to fund individual grants.  $10 SUN Shares were
collected and within a few minutes 58 shares were collected in cash and
pledges.  Elections followed which included Parnell Diggs, President; Frank
Coppel, 1st Vice President; Lenora Robertson, 2nd Vice President; Dorothy
Barksdale, Secretary; Shannon Cook, 2nd District; JW Smith, 4th District;
Marty McKenzie, 6th District, Valerie Warrington, At-Large and Loretta
Green, At-Large.  The convention concluded with great enthusiasm and the
desire to tell others back home all across South Carolina about what they
learned and encourage others to join us again next August for the 57th
annual NFB of SC convention.

The Philosophy of Judgment

(Editor's Note:  President Parnell Diggs' Report at the NFB of SC Convention
on Saturday, August 11)

            A budding philosopher at a prominent university approached his
instructor and said, "Professor, I am having trouble figuring out whether I
exist".  This dilemma, as presented by the student, apparently amused the
learned teacher; fore, he smiled and replied with the following often quoted
and somewhat profound question, "Who wants to know"?

            In his dissertation entitled Discourse on Method (published in
1637), French philosopher, Rene Descartes gave us the now famous
philosophical proposition, "I think, therefore I am".  To most observers,
these five words, "I think, therefore I am", seem fairly straight-forward,
and the underlying meaning conveyed therein seems obvious.

            But in reality, philosophers have spent lifetimes pondering
Descartes's meaning, and even the validity of his proposition that he was
certain he existed.  Let us examine Descartes's thought process more
closely.  By way of background, Descartes is considered the father of
western philosophy and is studied at universities around the world.

            I would suggest, though I do not profess to be a philosopher,
that Descartes was concerned with reality:  what is real and what is not.
But rather than concerning himself with the meaning of life, the existence
of God, or life on other planets, he started with a more fundamental
approach to philosophy.  Namely, do I exist?

            And he branched out from there.  In the words of Rene Descartes,
"I have convinced myself that there is absolutely nothing in the world, no
sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies.  Does it now follow that I, too, do not
exist?  No.  If I convinced myself of something [or thought anything at
all], then I certainly existed.

            But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who
deliberately and constantly deceives me.  In that case, I, too, undoubtedly
exist, if he deceives me; and let him deceive me as much as he can, he will
never bring it about that I am nothing, so long as I think that I am
something.

            So, after considering everything very thoroughly, I must finally
conclude that the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever
it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."  In short, Descartes could
be sure he existed as long as he was questioning his own existence.

            But other philosophers (such as Danish philosopher, Soren
Kierkegaard, who live some two hundred years after Descartes) thought that,
perhaps, even in the proposition "I think, therefore, I am", Descartes
presumed too much.  For example, who, or what, is the "I" in "I think,
therefore I am"?  Is it a person, or the figment of a greater being's
imagination?

            This is why we refer to the famous sentence, "I think, therefore
I am" as a proposition rather than a conclusion.  Instead of simply saying,
"I think, therefore I am", Kierkegaard might say, "It thinks.  I am it.
Therefore I think.  Therefore I am".  If we start with the basic presumption
that "it" is something, then we can feel comfortable in the knowledge that
something exists.  Everything else, these days, seems to be up for debate.

            Some eighty-five years after the death of Soren Kierkegaard, on
November 16, 1940, a young blind man (and a learned scholar in his own
right, Dr. Jacobus tenBroek) stood before the nation's blind community in
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania at the organizing Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind.

            On that fateful day, his outrageous and highly controversial
assertion was that, "Collectively, we (the blind) are the masters of our own
future and the successful guardian of our own common interests".  I do not
profess to be a philosopher, but for me the meaning of Dr. tenBroek's
well-reasoned proposition is clear.

            We (the blind) are capable of looking after ourselves.  We do
not have to rely on others to give us food, clothing, and shelter.  On the
contrary, we are capable of acquiring the means of basic sustenance in the
same way that our sighted peers do:  a full day's work for a full day's pay.
But seventy-two years later, most people still do not believe it.

            They would not believe it if they were told that legislation
adopted in 1938 (two years before the establishment of the National
Federation of the Blind), the so called "Fair Labor Standards Act,
guaranteed a federal minimum wage for all workers in America except for
those workers who happen to be disabled.

            They would not believe it if they were told that, in this land
of freedom and opportunity, there are documented cases of people working on
this very day for as little as seven cents an hour.  Employers which commit
these acts of discrimination, slavery, and suppression are able to get away
with it under Section 14C of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

            A number of arguments have been advanced in an effort to justify
this atrocious practice.  Some argue that people who are disabled are less
productive than able-bodied workers and are therefore not entitled to equal
pay.  Others say that paying disabled workers too much would jeopardize
their eligibility for financial assistance from the government.

            Still others opine that increasing the pay of these poor
disabled people would render the employer's company unprofitable and would
force the company out of business.  If that happened, these poor,
unfortunate, destitute blind people would have no jobs at all.

            Of course, nothing is said about the six-digit salaries being
paid to the people who run these special wage businesses that employ such
special people.  All they need to do is cut the $500,000 salaries to create
sufficient funds to pay the disabled workers the minimum wage.  But if we
told most people this, they would not believe it.

            They would not believe that there is no opportunity for upward
mobility at companies that pay seven cents per hour.  There are no blind
people in management positions at these companies.  They would not believe
it if they were told that legislation merely guaranteeing disabled people
the minimum wage would be so controversial.

            In February, we traveled to Washington to tell members of
Congress of the inequity in the federal minimum wage law and asked them to
do something about it.  We told them of H.R. 3086, The Fair Wages for
Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011, and asked them to sign on as
co-sponsors or publicly express their support.  It seems like the fair and
proper thing to do.

            But among the eight members of South Carolina's Congressional
Delegation, only Jim Clyburn has done so thus far.  But don't get fooled
into thinking that South Carolina is the only state devoid of a sense of
fairness.  For in this land of milk and honey, no blind person is guaranteed
the right to earn the minimum wage.

            This legislation, which promotes fairness and equity in the
workplace for the disabled has been the subject of controversy across the
nation.  But we will not rest until every blind American is guaranteed the
right to earn a full day's work for a full day's pay.

            We (the blind) are capable of looking after ourselves.  We do
not have to rely on others to give us food, clothing, and shelter.  No, we
are capable of acquiring the means of basic sustenance in the same way that
our sighted peers do:  a full day's work for a full day's pay.  But not only
that, we are also capable of looking after the needs of others.

            As you know, one of the most time-consuming activities that I
undertook after our last State Convention was a campaign for Congress.  Due
to the 2010 Census, South Carolina gained an additional Congressional seat;
and after much debate in the General Assembly, it was determined that the
new seat would be anchored in Myrtle Beach.

            In accordance with federal and state campaign laws, the National
Federation of the Blind (as a non-profit, charitable organization) does not
intervene in political campaigns.  Nor do we take sides in partisan
politics.  We have welcomed prominent Democrats and prominent Republicans to
the platform at these very Conventions.

            The National Federation of the Blind works with leaders on both
sides of the isle to accomplish objectives that improve the quality of life
for blind people of all walks of life.  But as individuals, we have the
right to vote however we want to vote, or support (and even make donations
to) any political candidate we choose.

            I was both honored and humbled to receive such generous support
from my blind brothers and sisters across South Carolina and around the
nation.  Not just financial support, but I received your thoughts and
prayers, words of encouragement, advice, volunteer manpower on the campaign,
and even some of your votes on Election Day.

            We didn't win the Election, but we sure made a difference.  When
I announced my candidacy in September, after talking with Dr. Maurer and Dr.
Capps, the story made the news not only in Myrtle Beach and Florence, but in
the Associated Press, in the television markets of Columbia, and Greenville
Spartanburg, statewide radio on the South Carolina News Network, it appeared
in Charlotte, and online in the Dallas Morning News.

            Nearly 1.3 million people learned about the National Federation
of the Blind over the next few days, and all I had done was announced that I
was running for Congress.  But that was just the tip of the iceberg.  The
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina became a news item
whenever the Congressional race was mentioned.

            The novelty of a blind person running for Congress drove public
interest at first, much like stories with titles such as "blind student goes
to college", or blind community activist inspiration to all".  These types
of stories can be helpful, but they are mostly heart warming, special
interest stories about blind people beating the odds.

            On the campaign trail, however, I traveled some ten thousand
miles across the Seventh District shaking hands with voters, many of whom
were just trying to get out of the way when they saw me coming.  But before
long, the novelty of the campaign transformed into a different kind of
novelty.  The stories of beating the odds were gone.

            As a blind person, I was offering to help the sighted improve
their quality of life.  This was the new novelty in the campaign.  By the
time we got to the Election, members of the media were not using words like
brave and inspiring.

            Instead, they were talking about my skills as a debater, my
competence in domestic and foreign policy, and whether my ideas about
creating jobs and preserving the Social Security system were realistic.
Blindness had become just a characteristic:  nothing more and nothing less.
But let me share one final story about the campaign.

            About a week before the Election, I participated in a televised
debate featuring the four candidates seeking the nomination.  During the
debate, I was asked a question and participated in a dialogue that went
something like this.

            "Mr. Diggs, you have served for twelve years as President of the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  (I pause here to point
out that this may have been the first time that the National Federation of
the Blind has ever been the subject of a question in a Congressional debate,
but the dialogue continued.)  If you are elected to Congress, how much time
would you spend on blindness issues?"

            The panelist probably thought he had found a weakness in my
candidacy, but I was delighted to get the question.  I had just been given a
nice fat, easy pitch and a chance to talk about the National Federation of
the Blind.

            "I'm proud of my service in the National Federation of the
Blind," I said.  "But as your Congressman, I will protect the poor and
underprivileged, those who are underrepresented, seniors, the disabled, and
anyone else who comes through my door."

            The progress that we achieved through this campaign will be
helpful to the organized blind movement in the future.  With all of our
legislative accomplishments over the years, just imagine that day, a day
that I have no doubt will arrive during our lifetimes, when a Federationist
is elected to federal office.

            Think of the impact on the minimum wage legislation, Social
Security work incentives, protecting entrepreneurial opportunities for blind
businessmen and women we will enjoy on the day when a Federationist can
advocate from a position of public authority.

            And I would be remiss if I did not thank Valerie Johnson for the
hard work she put in as my campaign manager over the past year.  Even though
her husband Andrew was very sick, Valerie (and Andrew on many occasions) and
I put in thousands of miles talking to voters as they prepared to choose
their next Congressman.

            In October, we celebrated the Golden Anniversary of the
Federation Center of the Blind.  Fifty years ago, the City of Columbia
granted the NFB of SC the property at 119 South Kilbourne Road for the
purpose of operating programs for blind South Carolinians.

            Since 1961, the Federation Center has provided free meeting
space, free meals, free administrative services, education and training,
advocacy, and a host of other services to South Carolina's blind population.
David Houck has served as our Executive Director at the Federation Center
since 1983.

            The Federation Center is important because it is not owned by
the government.  It is owned by the blind.  It is not subject to politics,
legislative audits, restructuring initiatives, or other pressure that state
agencies face.

            For that reason, fellow Federationists, we must support it.  It
is up to us to preserve and protect it so that the Federation Center can
serve the next generation of blind South Carolinians.  But not only the next
generation, let us strive to make the NFB of SC the state hub of the
organized blind movement for generations yet to be born.

            We must continue to protect and support the Federation Center,
Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind, the Bell Center,
our chapters and divisions, our committees and each and every member so that
the work can continue until the blind have the right to dine at the table of
first-class citizenship.

            Fore the progress we have achieved is great, but we still have a
distance to go.  But the task we were given by those who came before us is
to keep building, to capitalize on the progress of our predecessors, and to
hand a brighter present and future to our successors.

            As we gather at this Convention, I stand before you having had
the honor of serving as your President for twelve years.  At forty-three, I
like to think I'm still fairly young.  When Dr. tenBroek presided at the
organizing Convention in 1940, he was a young man.  He led us for nearly
thirty years but died of cancer at the age of fifty-six.

            Since last State Convention, we have lost two great leaders in
their own right:  Fred Vercher and Diane Collins.  Never before have we
suffered the tragedy of having two State Board members die in office.  They
were only in their forties.  The day of arrival at the table of first-class
citizenship for the blind may not dawn during our lifetimes.

            I came to my first State Convention in 1989.  I was
twenty-years-old and preparing to enter my Junior year at the University of
South Carolina.  Kim and I had been dating for three years, and I was
double-majoring in Political Science and Religious Studies.  I was first
elected to the State Board at twenty-three.  By then, I had enrolled in law
school.

            And soon after being elected, I was a newly wed and working two
fulltime jobs.  Unlike Heather Edwards (and other NFB of SC members), I
never received a National Scholarship.  But I did apply for, and receive, a
number of State Scholarships.

            I was also active in the Student Division having been elected
first as Secretary/Treasurer on the night I attended my first State
Convention.  I also served as President during my Senior year of college.
There were a number of other active Federationists in the Student Division
from that time who have stepped forward to carry the torch.

            Chris Danielson, also a former National Scholarship winner, is
now the Director of Public Relations for the National Federation of the
Blind.  Marty McKenzie has served on the State Board and as a Chapter
President for (what he will tell you is getting to be) a long time now, and
there are others.

            Valerie Warrington has faithfully served as President of the New
Berry Chapter for nearly twenty years.  Shannon Cook has been a chapter
president and a State Board member.  David Bundy has served on the State
Board and now runs the NFB of SC website.  I like to think that all of these
Federationists are very, very young.

            But even now our days are numbered.  If you don't understand my
meaning, let me cut to the chase.  We need our youngest generation to step
forward.  I am looking for young people who will begin to accept positions
of responsibility in the Federation.

            If you want to be on the Board, a chapter president, committee
chair, or if there is something you would like to do to build the
Federation, please let me know what you have in mind.  This is what I ask of
you, people of the younger generation.  Fore we stand at the threshold of a
new era.  We will soon dine at the table of first-class citizenship.

            No longer will we let the agencies and academicians define
blindness; no longer will our career choices be determined for us; for our
destiny is ours to determine; we will not leave it in the hands of others.

            The message of blindness is ours to give, and we will give it.
In time, the world will receive our message and come to believe it.  We will
soon saturate the world with a new reality of blindness, and the world will
embrace it.

            I speak of a time to come, a day which is rapidly approaching
when the world will finally embrace our philosophy of blindness and realize
that the Federation is right; blindness is a characteristic, nothing more
and nothing less.  The Federation is right; the average blind person can do
the average job as well as the average sighted person.

            The Federation is right; blindness is not a tragedy; and when
that day comes, when the world embraces our philosophy and internalizes it,
when it becomes part of the social fabric of mankind and the average
individual comes to believe it, we will have changed what it means to be
blind.  My brothers and my sisters, this is my report to you.

Resolution 2012-01

            Whereas, no blind person living in America today is guaranteed
the right to earn the federal minimum wage; and,

            Whereas, some 300,000 Americans are working for less than the
minimum wage, even as little as $.07 per hour; and,

            Whereas, the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of
2011 (H.R. 3086) proposes to guarantee disabled Americans the right to
receive the federal minimum wage; and

            Whereas, H.R. 3086 has garnered bi-partisan support in the
United States House of Representatives with over 80 co-sponsors from both
sides of the aisle; and

            Whereas, Congressman Jim Clyburn has signed on as a co-sponsor
of this vital piece of legislation and remains the only member of the South
Carolina Congressional delegation to do so to date; and

            Whereas, giving the other members of South Carolina's
Congressional delegation the benefit of the doubt, we believe that they are
supportive of fair wages for all workers including those who are disabled;

            Now, therefore, Be it resolved by the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina in convention assembled in the City of Spartanburg
this 12th day of August, 2012 that all members of the South Carolina
Congressional delegation are called upon to express their support of fair
wages for disabled Americans by co-sponsoring H.R. 3086 in the House of
Representatives and work to enact similar legislation in the Senate.

Ruth C. Jordan Honored

By JW Smith

(Editor's Note:  JW Smith is the President of the Greenville Chapter and
serves on the NFB of SC Board of Directors.)

     The Greenville Chapter of the NFB of SC decided before the 2012
Spartanburg convention of the NFB of SC to raise $500 toward a Greenville
Chapter Scholarship named in honor of Ruth C. Jordan who has spent her life
educating students, especially in the area of music.  She is a member of the
chapter and is well know for having the Library in the Conference Center of
Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind (located in the
mountains of Pickens County) named in honor of her blind mother, Carrie Lee
Cox.  We appreciate her activity in our chapter and we were glad to fund
$500 for the Greenville Chapter Ruth C. Jordan Scholarship which was awarded
to Chris Jeter of Spartanburg, a deserving blind student, on August 11, 2012
at the NFB Spartanburg Convention Banquet.

Pair Attends Federation of the Blind Convention

By Anna Brown

(Editor's Note:  Submitted by Vernon Smith, President Union Chapter, NFB of
SC and published in the local Union newspaper following 2012 NFB Dallas
Convention.)

            "A blind person should not let his disability stop him from
obtaining an education or getting a job."

            That was one of the points stressed to those attending the
National Federation of the Blind Convention this Summer in Dallas, Texas at
the Hilton Anatole Hotel.  Fifty-seven people from Georgia and South
Carolina, including three from Union County, took a 20 hour bus ride to
attend the convention.  Those from Union County were Vernon Smith, Vickie
Trammell and Vickie's grandson Jay.

            "they really focused upon independent living," said Mrs.
Trammell, "A sighted person who is an associate member of the Union County
Chapter of the federation of the blind  "The only hindrance is blindness.
They want the blind to continue to progress in their jobs.  They highlighted
education and gave away scholarships."

            Those attending the convention had a wide range of classes and
seminars they could be involved in with topics that included self defense,
child care, a job seekers seminar and tactile guided tours of the hotel's
sculpture collection.  The National Organization of Parents of Blind
Children's annual division meeting was held during the convention, along
with a seminar for the National Association of Guide Dog users.

            Speakers included Seth M. Galanther, Deputy Assistant to
Secretary of Policy, Office for Civil Rights, with the Department of
Education.  He spoke of equal access for the blind to education.  Kenneth A.
Dale, Special Assistant to the President for disability policy, spoke on
disability policy from the White House.

            Each year there is an "Independence Market" with new tools and
gadgets to assist the blind.  Last year in Orlando, Florida, at the
convention a movie was shown of a blind man driving a car around the Daytona
Speedway, dodging bales of hay, boxes and cones.  The car was equipped to
notify the driver of obstacles in the way.

            "He managed to miss all of the obstacles they put in his way,"
Mrs. Trammell said.  "He actually did drive the blind car all by himself, of
course it was supervised."

            Smith, Mrs. Trammell, and Sherry and Josh Jenkins of the Union
County Chapter of the Federation of the Blind also attended the state
convention this year.  It will be held at the Spartanburg Marriott.  The
state convention was held in Spartanburg for the next two years.  Smith
thanked the City of Union for its support to the chapter.

            The Union County Chapter of the Federation of the Blind meets on
the first Sunday of every other month at 3 p.m. in the Wallace Thompson
Hospital meeting room.  Because some attended the state meeting, the local
meeting date was adjusted and will be held on August 26.

            Dues are $5 a year for the local chapter and $10 a year for the
state chapter.

            Smith stressed that the meetings aren't just for blind people.
Many sighted people join because they are friends or relatives to a blind
person.

            "We invite you to come to a meeting and get involved," he said.

            (Anyone wanting more information about the Union County Chapter
of the Federation of the Blind may call Vernon Smith at 864-674-1558.)

Letter from Margaret Park, President, South Carolina School for the Deaf and
the Blind

South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind

Embracing the Possibilities

August 13, 2012

Dear President Diggs,

            I would like to thank the National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina for honoring the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind
(SCSDB) with the Employer of the Year Award.

            As an agency, SCSDB strives to hire competent individuals who
are blind or deaf on our workforce for several reasons.  First and foremost,
they are great workers and the students and the staff benefit from their
skills.  Secondly, individuals who are blind or deaf are able to be positive
role models for our current students as they look to the possibilities for
their own futures.  Lastly, we want to be an example to other companies and
agencies to see how to make the accommodations necessary to provide all
workers and students with a barrier-free, accessible workplace in which to
work and learn.

            I am honored that SCSDB was chosen to receive this prestigious
award.  It was a pleasure attending the conference and learning more about
the important work of the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina.

Sincerely, Margaret E. Park

President

>From the President's Desk

By Parnell Diggs

            At this writing we are celebrating the Christmas season as we
approach the end of 2012.  We are finishing the year with tremendous
enthusiasm and momentum in the NFB of SC.  Many people argue that our 2012
state convention was the best ever; and following the convention, NFB of SC
members participated in six protests in front of South Carolina Goodwill
locations to increase public awareness about inequities concerning minimum
wage laws in the United States.

            Disabled Americans are not guaranteed the right to earn the
federal minimum wage.  Those who support this injustice claim that it is
fair to pay disabled workers less than the minimum wage, arguing that
disabled workers are not as productive as able-bodied workers.  But we know
that two cashiers at a fast food restaurant will inevitably have different
productivity rates and will, nevertheless enjoy wage equality with their
fellow workers.  This protection does not apply to the disabled, and we need
to do something about it.

            Over fifty federationists attended the Christmas Board Retreat,
representing chapters from Oconee County to Charleston and from Rock Hill to
our Belvedere Chapter in Aiken County.  We look forward to 2013 with
optimism about things to come for the NFB of SC.  Our national convention in
Orlando and our state convention in Spartanburg will anchor an outstanding
year.

            We will kick it all off with the Statewide Seminar on January 5
followed by the NFB of SC cruise with a good number of members
participating.  I look forward to all of the good times we will enjoy and to
all of the things we will accomplish together in 2013.

Letter from Rotary Governor District 7770

(Editor's Note:  Donald Capps has been a member of the Rotary Club for more
than 40 years).

August 30, 2012

It's a special day!

Happy Birthday Don!

            Each year, we all have that special day, a time to celebrate and
enjoy the life we have been given.
            Your presence has made a difference in so many ways. Your family
and friends are richer for knowing you, but as a member of Rotary, you have
touched the lives of people you may never meet.
            For these reasons, I celebrate you. I wish you a happy day and
may each new day bring you joy and purpose.

Sincerely,
Ed Duryea

Governor
Rotary International District 7770

Meet the Blind Month

By Parnell Diggs

(Editor's Note:  This article first appeared in the October 3, 2012 Positive
Note.)

            Welcome to Meet the Blind Month in the Federation!  This is the
time when we emphasize the contributions that the blind make to the
well-being of their communities across the nation.  Even though we are now
well into the twenty-first century, people are often not aware of how blind
people conduct their lives each day:  holding down jobs, participating in
civic organizations, raising families, paying taxes, and providing
leadership in the public and private sectors.

            In many cases, the contributions of blind Americans to the good
of society go unnoticed because no one calls attention to these
contributions.  Meet the Blind Month is a way to increase public awareness
about blind people and create more social acceptance of the blind into
places of employment, centers of social activity, and other aspects of life
that sighted people often take for granted.

            The idea of first-class citizenship is not just an expression
used in our writings and speeches, but it is a status in society that we are
not yet allowed to enjoy.  Here are some statistics that will amaze you.

            Today, three fourths of all blind people in the United States
are unemployed.  Less than half of all blind students enrolled in public
school today will earn a diploma.  One in ten blind students will be taught
to read Braille.  These are second-class numbers.

            We appreciate the efforts of those organizations and agencies
which are interested in helping us spread the word about blindness and the
programs and services which exist to help blind people reach first-class
citizenship status in society.  You will observe that the enclosed flyer
details a White Cane observance being held at South Carolina State
University on October 11, 2012.  For more information, please call Shirley
Madison at 803-604-6479.

            I also appreciate the work of Frank and Shelly Coppel, who
appeared at a public event on Saturday, September 29, as they got Meet the
Blind Month off to an early start with information about the Federation,
Braille literacy, NFB Newsline, and other data which will keep people
informed.  Other details will be forthcoming as chapters hold events around
the state during the Month of October.

No Sight to Judge

Deena C. Bouknight

            (Editor's Note:  This article was published in the September
2012 issue of the Columbia Metropolitan magazine)

            When Pat and Dale Wolthoff meet someone new, they can't see
their skin color, tattoos, piercings, hair styles, clothes, deformities - or
whatever else distinguishes individuals. Married for 35 years, the Waltoffs
have been blind from birth. Instead of, as the adage goes, "judging a book
by its cover," the Waltoffs focus on voice, manners, intellect and
compassion before sizing up a new acquaintance. "We're very attuned to
people's personalities instead of the way they look," says Pat. She believes
that if there is a benefit to being blind, that is it.

            The Waltoffs met at a New Year's Eve party in Chicago in the mid
1970s. He was 44; she was 32. They shared a taxi back to her place. He
walked her to the door and kissed her good night. She says she knew then
that she wanted to marry Dale. They were married two years later.

            Although they came from very different backgrounds, Pat and Dale
had their blindness in common - and the fact that they worked full time in a
sighted world. She worked at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for 17
years, while he worked for the Internal Revenue Service for 26 years. They
decided to retire a few years ago in Columbia, where he knew one family,
because it was a milder climate than Chicago. Essentially, the Waltoffs
started over with friends, family and becoming familiar with their
surroundings.

            For each of them, resiliency and independence began when they
entered a school for the blind. Pat, who was premature and given too much
oxygen as a preemie, was raised in a foster home. She was taken to a
boarding school for the blind at age 7 where she learned that she would be
able to function productively in a sighted world despite what her foster
parents taught her.

            Dale, who suffered as an infant from congenital glaucoma and
underwent an unsuccessful surgery for it, was brought up in a supportive
family with four siblings. They lived on a farm, where Dale learned to ride
a bike, milk cows, collect eggs, climb trees and even ride a horse.
"Everyone in my family was supportive, and I got into the same kind of
trouble and suffered the same kinds of consequences as my siblings."

            When it was time for him to attend a boarding school for the
blind at age 5, his parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles showed up. "They
were all crying because it was 125 miles away. But I was fine."

            Both Pat and Dale were able to return home during breaks. Dale's
experiences resumed on the farm, while Pat says that her foster family
focused on her blindness as a handicap instead of what they consider it: a
nuisance. "My foster parents wouldn't introduce me as Pat, but instead as
their blind foster daughter."

            Being at schools for the blind leveled the playing fields for
both Pat and Dale. They learned to compete with others in a variety of ways.
Pat was introduced to drama and voice, both of which she still enjoys, while
Dale learned how to play the piano. Pat's girl's quartet once performed for
the governor of Illinois, and the group had an opportunity to sing in
public. Dale's skills with the piano eventually landed him jobs playing
professionally. Since moving to Columbia he has become involved in the
Congaree New Horizon Jazz Band and in a Dixieland band.

"I love to hear him play," says Pat.

            "It's still a great hobby and great fun," adds Dale.

            What really "opened their eyes" to the world, so to speak, was
learning Braille at their schools. "I was taught I couldn't do anything
because I was blind," says Pat, "but learning Braille gave me confidence."

            Braille is a system that enables blind and partially sighted
people to read and write through touch. It was invented by Louis Braille in
the 1800s. He was blind and became a teacher of the blind. Braille consists
of patterns of raised dots arranged in cells of up to six dots. Each cell
represents a letter, numeral or punctuation mark.

            The Waltoffs, who are both actively involved with the National
Federation of the Blind through the local chapter on Kilbourne Road, are
worried that Braille is in danger of "going away" because of technology. "We
feel that if you can't read Braille, you are illiterate as a blind person,"
says Dale. Computers, they point out, are helpful, but they shouldn't be
relied on to do everything for a blind person.

            "I have 30 cans in my cupboard right now that have magnetic
labels on them in Braille," says Dale. "Each of my credit cards is in an
envelope with a Braille label that has the credit card number, the card
name, and the phone number of the credit card company ... all that
information. Braille is very practical for a blind person."

            In fact, the Waltoffs lives are as much dependent on Braille as
a sighted person is dependent on the printed word. Labels on their clothes -
to determine style, color, etc. - are in Braille. There are labels all over
the Walter's home on appliances, switches and other items. Friends from
church typically go with them to the grocery store. When they return home,
friends help them identify the items, and Braille labels are attached.

            Both enjoy cooking, and Dale is a master griller. They use a
flat top stove - feeling the roughness of the eye for placement of the
cookware before turning it on. A special knife guide helps them cut items,
while some utensils such as an apple cutter and a tomato slicer make it
easier for them to maneuver in the kitchen. Timers enable them to cook for
the right amount of time.

            Pat laughs when she shares how being blind in the kitchen is not
without its foibles. "Once, we ran out of milk, and I thought the juice
carton was the milk carton so I made macaroni and cheese with orange juice."
Another time, when they invited guests for dinner, which they do often, Pat
says she noticed - by listening -- that no one was eating. When she asked
what the problem was, someone mentioned that there was too much oregano in
the burgers. The lid had come off and dumped all the oregano on the meat
while she was cooking it.

            The Woltoffs are not only capable in the kitchen. Pat went to
Illinois on her own for nine days in June. She took a plane and then a bus
before arriving at her destination. As a couple, they have traveled
throughout the United States, to Hawaii, and even enjoyed a cruise. They
traveled to Dallas, Texas, in July for the National Convention for the
Blind, where the latest tools and gadgets for the blind are on display.

            At home in Columbia, she swims at the Drew Wellness Center while
he takes their black lab, Faith Joye, on a two mile walk daily. They have
500-plus movies in their collection that are narrated. "We make popcorn and
enjoy movies by ourselves or with friends," says Pat.

            They appreciate assistance from others when they are traveling
and out and about, but don't want to be treated with kid gloves. "We feel
it's respectable to be blind," say Pat. "The only real difference is that we
have to do the same things as a sighted person, only do them differently."

            "There are some things we need help with, like reading our mail.
We have a reader, but it doesn't pick up graphics. And, of course, we can't
drive!" Dale says with a laugh.

            Dale especially feels like being blind has made him stronger and
more determined. "I was proudest of the fact that I moved from my home in
Iowa to the big city of Chicago and got a real job. I am very grateful for
that and enjoyed meeting a wide variety of people. And, I place more value
on that job because I had to work harder to get it and keep it."

            When asked if they would take the gift of sight if given to them
for a day, Pat says yes, Dale says no. "I can't say I miss seeing the sun
because I've never seen it," says Dale. "I don't miss what I've never had. I
think it's better to be born blind because you don't grieve for the thing
you can't do. But if you've been able to do it and then it's taken away .
Besides, we'll be able to see when we get to heaven!"

October 20 Fall Festival Successful

By David Houck

Celebrating 51 years since the Center was dedicated on October 15, 1961 the
Federation Center of the Blind has served the needs of countless hundreds if
not thousands of blind people, whether they are members of the federation or
not.  These include but are not limited to Braille classes, computer
technology classes, career workshops, NFB of SC Divisional meetings,
technology and vision summits, to name a few.

A good example of these efforts took place on Saturday, October 20 where
blind individuals from local chapters all across the Palmetto State
converged on the Federation Center of the Blind to set up twenty exhibits to
demonstrate their entrepreneurial spirit, selling such things as jewelry and
other hand crafted items, baked and canned goods, art for sale, federation
literature, an SCSDB student art display, Belk Charity Day tickets, Orlando
convention bus tickets, grilled hot dogs and hamburger plates, and much
more.  Exhibitors included Harriet Davis, Martha Robertson, Frank and
Shelley Coppel, Dorothy Barksdale and Lucille Hemmingway of Columbia, Patsy
Roberts of Conway, Frank Stark of Beaufort, Frank Loza from Belvedere, Doris
Thurman from Chesterfield, Carey Burriss from Anderson, and Linda Dizzley
from the Lee County Chapter.  Please excuse me if I inadvertently missed
anyone.

We want to thank all those who participated, sold items, and took advantage
of the event.  Frank and Shelley Coppel and Jennifer Bazer did a great job
in preparation for the event, including TV, radio and newspaper advertising
and Barry Chavis even made a large sign which was placed in front of the
Center a few weeks in advance.  Julie Bible and Kate Spradley worked in the
kitchen taking food orders.  David and Darlene Houck assisted with food
sales as well as setting up before and cleaning up after the event.  Frank
Coppel spent some of his own funds ensuring a great event and the Center
realized $625 in net profits due to table rentals and grilled hamburger and
hot dog sales, chips, drinks and cakes and pies sold.

The Federation Center of the Blind belongs to all of us and strives to serve
all blind South Carolinians on a daily basis and has now done so for 51
years.  As you can see, we must support our Center which is an indispensible
facility.

Reflections on the White Cane Safety Day Governor's Proclamation

By Parnell Diggs

            Below we have listed the Governor's White Cane Safety Day
Proclamation declaring October 15, 2012, as White Cane Safety Day in South
Carolina.  In her Proclamation, Governor Haley mentions the work of the
National Federation of the Blind and observes that the blind are entitled to
dignity and respect from their social peers as well as their colleagues at
work.

            I have read White Cane Safety Day Proclamations through the
years, and I believe that this one is among the best.  Please feel free to
make copies and disseminate it throughout the community.  Now that we are in
the midst of Meet the Blind Month and we have an excellent Proclamation, it
seems appropriate to reflect upon our status, as blind people, as citizens
in society.

            We have often made the assertion that blind people are actually
second-class citizens in this land of freedom and opportunity.  But this
assertion is not just a battle-cry or call to action.  In reality, the facts
clearly indicate that we have a distance to go before we have the same type
of opportunities which other Americans enjoy.  Let me be more specific.

            First, let us consider opportunities for blind children.  On
this very day, there are more than fifty-thousand blind children enrolled in
our nation's public schools.  If nothing changes, less than fifty percent of
them will earn a high school diploma.  Only about twenty-five percent of
them will get a job when they grow-up, and only ten percent of them will be
able to read their children a bedtime story.

            Now, let us consider blind adults living today.  We have an
unemployment rate which exceeds seventy percent.  While many blind adults
want to work, we find that employers who post "help wanted" signs are not
particularly interested in hiring blind applicants.

            For those blind adults who are working, the reality of
second-class status still prevails.  In the twenty-first century, nearly
seventy-five years after the government guaranteed a minimum wage for other
Americans, we find that not one blind person alive today is guaranteed the
right to earn the federal minimum wage under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Some do, but it is not a matter of right.

            Just a few short years ago, blind people earned the right to
serve on a jury in South Carolina because of the work of the NFB of SC.
Prior to the passage of the "Jury Bill", blind people were automatically
excluded from jury duty and could not serve even if they wanted to, but
other states still do not guarantee this right for blind citizens.  People
don't like to admit it, but we, as blind people, have only second-class
citizenship status in society.

            I mean to emphasize how important Proclamations like the one
issued by Governor Haley are to the advancement of blind people toward
first-class status.  We are not there yet, but we are making progress.  The
work that we are doing every day is exciting and rewarding.

State of South Carolina

Governor's Proclamation

WHEREAS, the white cane is a simple, yet effective tool of independence that
contributes to the self-sufficiency of the blind and visually impaired by
allowing them to navigate through their environment safely, avoiding
physical barriers and hazards; and

WHEREAS, the white cane is a symbol of dignity and determination as well as
a tangible reminder that individuals with impaired eyesight are able to go,
to move, to be, and to compete with all others in society and to lead full,
independent, and productive lives; and

WHEREAS, established by the National Federation of the Blind, the annual
observance of "White Cane Safety Day" emphasizes the need for all Americans
to be aware of the presence of disabled persons in our communities and to
work together to keep the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways public
buildings and facilities, and places of public accommodation, amusement and
resort safe and functional for the disabled; and

WHEREAS, the 2012 observance of "White Cane Safety Day" provides an
opportunity for people across the Palmetto State and the nation to renew
their dedication to eliminating barriers for the blind and visually
impaired.

NOW, THRERFORE I, Nikki R. Haley, Governor of the Great State of South
Carolina do hereby proclaim October 15, 2012 as WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY
throughout the state and encourage all South Carolinians to show respect for
those who carry the white cane, to honor their many achievements, and to
reaffirm our commitment to improving access to basic services for blind and
visually impaired persons.

Nikki R. Haley

Governor

State of South Carolina

>From the Editor's Desk

By Donald C. Capps

            This issue of the Palmetto Blind is impacted by the Christmas
season as 2012 winds down.  It is the most beautiful season of the year.  It
brings the best out of most everyone.  The Christmas season is "big" in the
NFB of SC as the statewide membership generates goodwill by participating in
as many federation Christmas parties as possible.  There are federation
Christmas parties in every area of the state with the blind planning and
managing these activities.  Across the state there is a network consisting
of numerous Christmas events with the federation leading the way.  I can
remember when the federation in this state had little or no input in
bringing the blind together in the 46 counties to celebrate Christmas with
the real reason being most prominent, that is, the celebration of the birth
of Jesus Christ.  There were only two chapters in the federation in August
1953 - Spartanburg and Columbia.  No doubt, each of these two chapters had
Christmas parties but they did not have an input statewide.  Chapters
welcome the participation of the state president and other officials
attending as many parties as possible.  State President Parnell Diggs is
especially popular in these Christmas activities as he not only comments on
the activities of the NFB of SC but also carries his reliable guitar with
him and shows his talent in singing and playing the guitar which is enjoyed
by all who have the good fortune of hearing him.  President Diggs and the
other officers are glad to cries-cross the state to be with the blind in
these activities but unfortunately, it is not possible to attend all 60 of
the chapters and divisions.  I am especially pleased with the success of the
NFB of SC during the year 2012.  There are many issues, including the
minimum wage issue, and this matter will no doubt be addressed extensively
in the new year.  Meanwhile, the impact Christmas has on the NFB of SC is
inestimable and we should take full advantage of this wonderful Christmas
season.

Final Thought:

The Nicest Present

Under the tree the gifts enthrall,
But the nicest present of them all
Is filling our thoughts with those who care,
Wanting our Christmas joy to share.

To you, whom we're often thinking of,
We send our holiday joy and love.

By Joanna and Karl Fuchs

__._,_.___

zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRtc2dJZAMyMQRzZWMDZ
nRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNTg2NTU5NDI-?act=reply&messageNum=21> Reply via
web post

<mailto:bundy at pobox.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fall-Winter%202012%20Palmetto%20Blin
d> Reply to sender

<mailto:PalmettoBlind at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Fall-Winter%202012%20P
almetto%20Blind> Reply to group

zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNud
HBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTg2NTU5NDI-> Start a New Topic

wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRtc2dJZAMyMQR
zZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTg2NTU5NDIEdHBjSWQDMjE-> Messages in this
topic (1)

Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PalmettoBlind;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOWZrNWtkBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBH
N0aW1lAzEzNTg2NTU5NDI->

DY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM1ODY1NTk0M
g--> Yahoo! Groups

Switch to: Text-Only
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%
20Format:%20Traditional> , Daily Digest
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Dig
est>  . Unsubscribe
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>  .
Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  . Send us Feedback
<mailto:ygroupsnotifications at yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20r
edesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>

.

http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=12469521/grpspId=1705189052/msgId
=21/stime=1358655942/nc1=5191954/nc2=5028928/nc3=5758220

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee