[Nfb-editors] South Carolina- PalmettoBlind Spring-Summer 2013

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Jun 18 17:09:43 UTC 2013

The Palmetto Blind

The voice of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

David Houck, NFB of SC Treasurer, holds a turtle (aquatic) at the Grand
Cayman Island Turtle Sanctuary during his cruise.

Spring-Summer 2013

Web page:   <http://www.nfbsc.net/> http://www.nfbsc.net

E-mail:  nfbsc at sc.rr.com

            The PALMETTO BLIND, published quarterly in large print, cassette
tape and Braille by the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.
Donald C. Capps, Editor.

            The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is
chartered under the laws of the state of South Carolina to promote the
spiritual, social and economic well-being of all blind South Carolinians.
The state organization is an affiliate of the nation's oldest and largest
organization of the blind--the National Federation of the Blind.

            The PALMETTO BLIND is the voice of the National Federation of
the Blind of South Carolina and is available free of charge to any blind
individual or member in large print, Braille or cassette.  Other subscribers
are encouraged.  If readers desire to do so, donations to cover the annual
subscription cost of $10.00 per year may be made payable to the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina and sent to:

            David Houck, Treasurer

            National Federation of the Blind of SC

            119 S. Kilbourne Rd.

            Columbia, SC 29205

            Readers receiving the cassette edition of the PALMETTO BLIND are
requested to handle the tapes with care, returning them promptly for the
benefit of other readers.  In the event that you receive a bad tape, before
returning it, please enclose a note or attach a rubber band around the
cassette tape to prevent further circulation.  Braille or large print copies
may be retained for personal libraries.

            If you or a friend would like to remember the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina (also known as the SC Aurora Club
of the Blind, Inc.) in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:  "I give, devise, and bequeath unto the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina (aka SC Aurora Club of the Blind, Inc.), a
non-profit organization, the sum of $________________ (or "_______________
percent of my ___________estate" or "the following stocks and
bonds:____________") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons and to be held and administered by the direction of its Executive
Committee and Board of Directors.”

Table of Contents

Page

            43rd Annual Statewide Seminar A Resounding Success  By David
Houck

            The Diggses Go To Europe  By Parnell Diggs

            Blindness  By: Jordan Diggs

            A Special Letter  By Aaron Holdcraft

            Pastor loses his sight, learns something new every day   By
Charmaine Smith-Miles

            60th Consecutive Barbecue - Outstanding Success  By Parnell
Diggs

            Living Memorials  By David Houck

            Carnival Cruise Lines, Here We Come!  By Dorothy C. Barksdale

            David and Darlene Houck Take Caribbean Cruise  By Donald C.
Capps

            From the President's Desk  By Parnell Diggs

            Beloved Federationist Dies  By Donald Capps

            From the Editor  By Donald C. Capps

            Final Thought

43rd Annual Statewide Seminar A Resounding Success

By David Houck

            Saturday morning, January 5, 2013 was frosty with early morning
temps in the mid 20's, although as the nearly 200 participants arrived,
things began to warm up in both comfort and fellowship.  People were turning
in their bus reservations, bus tickets and state dues, not to mention items
for the Federation Center's auction.

            President Diggs gaveled the seminar to order at 10:00 a.m.
sharp.  Dorothy Barksdale gave an inspiring invocation.  Our new Columbia
Chapter President Steve Sheck greeted the large audience.  David Houck,
Center Executive Director made announcements concerning where to turn in bus
tickets and reservations as well as state dues and what is available on the
literature table.  Isaiah Nelson who spent several hours preparing the food,
revealed the menu for the luncheon.  Shelley Coppel, President of the new
Senior Division of the NFB of SC, announced a brief meeting for interested
blind seniors during the lunch break.  Steve Cook, President of the Computer
Science Division announced ticket sales for a Victor Reader Stream to be
drawn by the end of the day.  A variety of auction items were auctioned off
between scheduled speakers, gaining funding for the Federation Center.

            Ed Bible spoke on behalf of the Commission for the Blind in the
absence of Commissioner Jim Kirby and Don Bradley who were unable to attend
due to illness.  Ed stated that 1,190 people were served by the Commission
in 2012 and that over 1,000 were signed up on Newsline.  Of the 720
referrals to the Commission, 463 met eligibility requirements, 305 made
their employment plans and 257 became employed.

            President Parnell Diggs announced with excitement the upcoming
Carnival NFB of SC cruise which is only nine days away!  Many of those in
attendance were also going on the trip.

            President Maggie Park of the SC School for the Deaf and the
Blind proudly announced that SCSDB is now fully accredited which was a
difficult but rewarding process.  She stated that she really appreciated the
School receiving the NFB of SC's 2012 Employer of the Year Award as blind
and deaf individuals make good employees and act as role models for the
students at SCSDB.  Both deaf and blind students participate in several new
classes including classes in automotive care, welding, digital photography,
and woodworking just to name a few.  She presented President Diggs with a
mass produced wooden car which was made by the students to demonstrate Henry
Ford's invention of the assembly line.  It was truly a hit with the seminar
participants as the wooden car was auctioned off for a high bid of $48!  A
new I-Pad lab was erected so that I-Pad technology can be taught as funding
was secured for students, staff and teachers to obtain and use them at the
School.  Other funding was obtained for facilities improvements and campus
security.

            David Houck presented the Donald C. Capps Award for 2012 to
Essie Kaney as she was unable to attend the convention.  Essie spoke of her
long time and dedicated service to the federation and Rocky Bottom.  The
noon time hour had finally arrived and everyone enjoyed Ike's sandwiches,
freshly baked cookies, chips and soft drinks during the lunch break.

            The NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom boards met.  NFB of SC President
Parnell Diggs yielded the gavel over to Dr. Capps to hold a brief Rocky
Bottom board meeting.  Chairman Capps spoke of the recent passing of L. P.
"Princess" Garrett and what she has meant to the federation and Rocky
Bottom.  We need to do better selling our $5 Fun Day tickets.  Debra Canty
suggested that we receive the tickets earlier in the year, maybe as soon as
the 2014 Statewide Seminar.  The Advisory Board needs new and active
members.  Sen. Larry Martin suggested a few potential members and Thom
Spittle suggested David Hiott of Hiott Printing in Pickens who is also a
member of the General Assembly.  Ralph Ellenburg is looking into some DHEC
water system compliance actions which Rocky Bottom needs to accomplish. Dr.
Capps then returned the gavel back to President Diggs for the NFB of SC
board meeting.

                A Leadership Seminar will take place this spring by
invitation to about 25 to 30 chapter leaders at Rocky bottom.  This will
encourage greater participation and camaraderie among chapter leaders and
will also cover the history and philosophy of the federation.     The
Orlando chartered bus will leave Columbia at 8:00 a.m. on July 1 and return
from Orlando at 8:00 a.m. on July 7.  Bus reservations are $70 per person.
The board selected Parnell Diggs as Delegate and David Houck as Alternative
Delegate to the NFB Convention.  The Washington Seminar will be from Monday,
February 4 returning Wednesday, February 6.  The van will leave at 8:00 a.m.
on Sunday and Valerie Johnson will drive the van.  Others going include
Debra Canty who will receive advance training at the National Center, Diana
Singleton, Liz Lewis, Frank and Shelley Coppel and Cali Sandel.  The NFB of
SC convention will be at the Spartanburg Marriott August 9-11.
Pre-registration will be $60 and registration at the door will be$65 per
person.  The board voted to have Amy Buresh of the NFB of Nebraska as our
national representative to the state convention.  March 20 will be the
Legislative Luncheon in the Blatt Building.  Two legislative issues will be
presented, one concerning parental rights for blind parents and the other
concerning voting rights for local and special elections.    The Palmetto
Blind is being printed by the NFB National Office at a greatly reduced
price.  There will be a statewide conference call on January 27 at 8:00 p.m.
concerning state and national scholarship applications.

            Following the luncheon the afternoon session began with Dr.
Capps talking about the services at Rocky Bottom.  Frank Coppel spoke of the
upcoming Spring and Fall Senior Camps and Thom and Tracey Spittle spoke
concerning the Summer Children's Camps.  Chairman Capps reminded everyone
that Rocky Bottom belongs to all of us and we not only need to use it but we
also need to treat it as our own and be willing to assist in funding the
camp through utilities contributions by chapters, sale of $5 Fun Day tickets
and participating in the Labor Day Fun Day Festivals.  Dr. Capps also stated
that we are looking for new Advisory Board members who will be able to
attend the meetings and assist with camp services and programs.  David Houck
read a letter from Sen. Larry Martin concerning possible new additional
Advisory Board members.

            Sandy Knowles, Director of Talking Book Services announced that
their move to the State Library building has now taken place.  Soon all
magazines will be available in a digital format.  Talking books are going to
be all digital by 2015.  BARD is another way to access books as well.

            Shirley Madison of the SC State University in Orangeburg spoke
concerning courses offered in the Human Services Department on Blind
Rehabilitation Services  and that there have been 100 graduates in their
Orientation and Mobility Graduate Program.  She also welcomed everyone to
participate in their 10th Anniversary White Cane Safety Day Celebration.
There will be a great program for this special October meeting.

            David Houck, Federation Center Executive Director advised that
Dorothy Barksdale now is cancer free and she only missed one day of teaching
the computer classes due to her cancer treatments.    He announced that the
Commission will begin cooking classes at the Center once again in the near
future.  He explained the new application process for the upcoming Santee
Fishing Trip.  Mr. Houck also stressed getting in state dues, membership
lists and financial reports by chapters and divisions as soon as possible.
Complete and accurate information is necessary in getting out information to
the membership.

            Charles Black, the President of the revitalized Kershaw Area
Chapter of the NFB of SC spoke briefly about the progress of this new
chapter.  President Diggs spoke about the Jernigan Scholarships for first
time NFB convention goers and advised that members access the information in
the upcoming issue of the Braille Monitor.  Parnell Diggs gave reservation
information concerning the upcoming NFB convention.  He also was the winner
of the Victor Reader Stream Drawing by the Computer Science Division.  A
grand total of $695 was garnered by the end of the day from the auction
items sold for the Federation Center of the Blind.  As time had come for the
bus ticket drawing, it was revealed that the Rock Hill Chapter came in third
place in bus ticket sales, selling 461 tickets, while the Sumter Chapter
placed second with 757 tickets sold; however, the Columbia Chapter came in
first place by selling a total of 1,290 tickets.  Columbia Chapter President
Steve Sheck was presented a $300 check for all their hard work.  The buyer
of the winning bus ticket drawn was Debra Singleton of Beaufort and the
seller was Ruth Collier of Beaufort.  Each received a check for $300.

            The Seminar may now be over but there are many things to
accomplish in 2013 and everyone went home with eager anticipation for all
the wonderful and exciting things planned for in both the NFB of SC and
Rocky Bottom in the year ahead.

The Diggs'es Go To Europe

By Parnell Diggs

(Editor's Note:  We are exceedingly pleased to feature this fascinating
article by our state President, Parnell Diggs for the Palmetto Blind.)

            In the summer of 1994, the National Federation of the Blind
Convention was held in Detroit, Michigan.  During the Convention that year,
Kim and I took the opportunity to cross the border into Canada for an
evening in

Windsor, Ontario.  That was the extent of our experience with international
travel until the summer of 2012, when we, along with our twelve-year-old
son, Jordan, traveled with the Carolina Master Chorale to Europe to sing at
venues in Finland, Estonia, and Russia.

            It was the trip of a lifetime, as Kim and I were in our forties
and had never crossed the Atlantic until we boarded an evening flight in
Charlotte, bound for Munich, before changing and continuing onto Helsinki.
There are much longer flights, but this one took nearly nine hours, which
was long enough for us, as the large jet first headed north and then east
toward the European Continent.

            Kim and I were particularly excited about the fact that Jordan,
at such a young age, was already making a trip overseas, an experience that
his parents did not have until we were some thirty years older.  The first
thing we noticed was that the evening of June 14, 2012, was very short.

            We were traveling east, and with the six-hour time difference
between Charlotte and Munich, nearly fifteen hours passed while we were in
flight, though the trip took less than nine hours.  Thus, when we landed at
about 7:00 AM in Munich, it would have been only 1:00 AM back home.  Some of
our friends were probably just going to bed on the east coast in the US, but
our new day was already beginning, with a commuter flight from Munich to
Helsinki.

            With very little sleep, we managed to check into the hotel and
dash over to “Temppeliaukio Kirkko” for a Friday afternoon concert.  Also
known as “the Church of the Rock”, this Lutheran church is a popular concert
venue because of the incredible acoustics.  The Temple was literally carved
into the side of a granite rock.

            Throughout our concert tour, we performed all music a cappella,
or with no accompaniment, in venues which have become famous for their
acoustic quality.  Over the next eight days, we traveled from Helsinki,
Finland, to Tallinn, Estonia, and to St. Petersburg, Russia.

            Our personal favorite was Tallinn, a beautiful city featuring a
mix of modern hotels and medieval Europe within walking distance of each
other.  For example, we could walk from our hotel (with all of the latest
amenities) just two blocks or so and find the town hall building, which
opened for business in 1404.

            Time is a matter of prospective.  In Charleston, South Carolina,
there are beautiful structures which were built in the early 1700s, which is
old by American standards.  But by the early 1700s, the town hall building
in Tallinn had already been standing for three hundred years.

            Another interesting observation about Tallinn, Estonia (which
incidentally was part of the Soviet Union until Estonia gained its
independence in 1991) is that average citizens there speak fluent English.
This was helpful because we could not converse in Estonian.

            When Jordan and I were in the mood for a hamburger, we went into
a fast-food restaurant, strolled up to the counter, and talked with a young
lady behind the cash register about what toppings came on various burgers.
We were impressed that people with normal jobs conversed easily in a
language that we could speak, which obviously made us feel slightly less
educated than the average Estonian citizen.

            This was also true for hotel employees and people on the street
in that beautiful city.  While in Tallinn, we visited a shopping mall
featuring a large book store, and Jordan was able to buy the second book in
the Hunger Games series, which (at the time) was not yet available in the
United States.

            The mall also had a food court, where we sat and enjoyed an ice
cream cone, as we watched the other shoppers walking and carrying their
items from store to store.  It seemed very much like a mall in the Myrtle
Beach area, only we were in a city that was at least six hundred years old.

            During our eight nights residing in Eastern Europe, we enjoyed
the extremely long days from dawn to sunset.  When I say “long days”, I mean
the first light of day would come at 2:30 or 3:00 AM, and the sun would not
set until after midnight.  I would wake up when it should have been pitch
black outside (or at 4:00 AM or so) and it was broad daylight.

            I recall Kim posting on Facebook several pictures of the sunset
over the Baltic Sea taken from our hotel window at about 11:45 PM.  One
evening in Tallinn, we enjoyed dinner at the famous Peppersack Restaurant
(where a sword fight is certain to break out every night at about 8:00 pm).
We left the restaurant at 9:00 PM, and the sun was shining as if it were
about 5:00 in the afternoon.  The long days were attributable to the fact
that we were at a latitude which was equivalent to northern Canada, or much
further north than one could travel in the continental United States.

            From Tallinn, we traveled to St. Petersburg, Russia, a city of
some five million people and the largest in-door water park in the world!
Our choir director, Dr. Tim Koch, and I took our sons to this water park on
our last full night in Europe.  David Koch, Tim’s twelve-year-old son, and
Jordan got along charmingly throughout the trip.  And yes, Tim and I tried
the largest water slide in the facility and managed to survive!  The water
park was actually attached to the hotel where we stayed in St. Petersburg.

            It reminded me of some of the hotels where we have held national
conventions.  But just a few miles away from that modern facility, one could
tour Peterhof Palace, built in 1725 in honor of Peter the Great (who ruled
as Tsar in Russia from the age of ten until his death at the age of
fifty-two).  Sadly, Peter the Great died in the year Peterhof was built, and
thus he did not get to enjoy it.

            Before walking through the halls of Peterhof Palace, we were
required to put plastic slipcovers over our shoes so we would not harm the
nearly three hundred-year-old, highly-polished floors of the famous
residence.  Fortunately, officials did not require me to surrender my long
white cane.  I also managed to feel many of the walls and doors of the
palace, though the guards were not very appreciative of my taking this
liberty.

            The Russians do not see many blind people, and they did not know
how to react.  I believe this is why I was able to keep the cane and feel
the walls and doors.  Guards at historic sites in the United States are not
as tolerant.  But as I had no desire to be incarcerated in Russia, I would
have gladly complied with any request the Russian guards might have made;
however, I was lucky that they did not know how to deal with a blind
American tourist.

            The streets of St. Petersburg were crowded with pedestrians as
well as motorists.  As a result, it took a considerable amount of time to
travel anywhere throughout the city, and complicating the matter further was
the fact that an economic summit was being held in the city with none other
than the President of the United States in attendance!  Before departing the
bustling city,   I managed to try a Russian hotdog, which was a lot like an
American corndog, but with thicker breading and no stick.

            There are certainly some cultural differences between life in
Myrtle Beach and life in St. Petersburg.  For example, we enjoyed lunch one
day at a place called “the Soviet Café” at a price of nearly two thousand
rubles, which amounted to about $50 in US currency.  A Coke was about
thirty-five rubles out of the vending machines at the hotel.  The Russian
language is not derived from Latin like Western European languages, and
therefore it was difficult for us to read Russian signage even phonetically.

            We returned to Myrtle Beach on June 23, and we were glad to be
home.  But we were enriched from our experience.  Even though Jordan is only
in his teens, he can look back on his travels through Finland, Estonia, and
Russia recalling the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, the transcontinental
jet, and the European method of preparing and serving bacon:  boiled, not
fried (an entirely different experience).

            Of course, Kim and I will look back on these things too:
recalling the 9:00 PM sunshine, the buildings which are older than any we
will find in the United States, the venues where a cappella music rang off
stone walls, the feel of Peterhof Palace and the narrow, cobblestone streets
of Tallinn.

Blindness

By: Jordan Diggs

            Blindness is a topic that is very misunderstood. Many people
believe it is a horrible disease that will make life completely miserable.
But is it really that bad? Blind people can do anything sighted people can
do, but few sighted people understand this. Most sighted people
misunderstand blindness.

            First of all, almost all sighted people are very scared of
blindness. They think being blind is unbearable. If someone else is blind,
they assume that they need to help them with everything they do and that the
blind person cannot do anything alone. Many people say that they fear
blindness more than any other condition, and it is on many peoples’ top 10
fears list (Luxton, Matsuoka, Rogers, “Blindness”). Most people are stunned
when they see blind people do things like walking up stairs, because even
though it really is not anything special, they believe it is a miracle.

            One of the main reasons that sighted people may react this way
is that they have never met any blind people. Do they really have the right
to make judgments about people they have never actually met? They make
assumptions based on what they have heard from others, (which can easily be
incorrect or exaggerated), and what they hear from the media. For example, a
movie called “Blindness” was created. It portrayed blind people very poorly,
and made them look like uncivilized, dirty people who cannot do anything on
their own. This is completely untrue. People make bad assumptions about
blind people because they think sight is required to do everything, and they
have no evidence to prove them otherwise.

            Blindness is not as dreadful as some people say it is. Blind
people are not limited by their eyes. They can do anything sighted people
can do. Many buildings and hotels have elevators, bathrooms, and other areas
that contain two types of signs: print signs, and Braille signs. Braille is
a series of raised dots, with a maximum of 6 dots in each cell that allow
blind people to read. Numerous companies print books in Braille so they can
be read by blind people. Also, blind people can read by listening to audio
books. Many well-known books are now sold in audio form at book stores.

            Another topic that is misunderstood is the fact that blind
people can use canes to navigate. Many people believe that blind people are
using canes for support. But the canes used by blind people are white,
thinner, and taller. They are not used for support (they would break if
someone attempted to do this), but they are used as probes to extend the
sense of touch. Canes are one of the most commonly used navigation tools by
blind people.

            Another navigation method used by blind people is guide dogs.
Guide dogs are dogs that have received special training to help blind people
traverse. And like canes, guide dogs are misunderstood. Some people believe
that guide dogs stop when a car is coming, or when there is a sign that says
not to walk. This is incorrect. Guide dogs have received special training,
but they do not know to stop when cars are coming; they are just canines,
after all. There is another reason why guide dogs are good: they also make
excellent pets.

            Many new technological developments have been created to help
blind people do things that would be difficult for them otherwise. For
example, a program called JAWS has been created to read words on the
computer to blind people. While sighted people can simply stare at the
computer screen to find out what it says, blind people have to listen to it,
because they are unable to see the screen. JAWS can speak at the speed of a
normal human voice, but many people who are experienced enough to understand
what it says prefer to listen to it many times the speed of a hominid voice.
This allows them to save time, and read documents much faster than human
eyes would allow sighted people to.

            Blind people can also access the internet is with a Pac-Mate.
Pac-Mates are Braille laptops, and instead of reading the words on the
screen, there IS no screen, and Braille appears through holes at the bottom
of the keyboard. These laptops can access the internet and read articles on
many websites. They have been mass produced and sold. The National
Federation of the Blind (The NFB) has promoted Pac-Mates extensively. Many
members of the large organization use Pac-Mates. The National Federation of
the Blind also has an agreement with Apple. Because of this agreement,
I-phones have a “Voiceover” mode that works almost exactly like JAWS.

            Another thing about blindness that is commonly misunderstood is
the fact that sighted people think that blind people need help with very
effortless tasks. When blind people say that they do not need help, the
other people try to debate the matter and convince them that they do require
assistance, but do not know that they need it. Parnell Diggs says,

People misunderstand blindness, and people don’t think I know if I need
help. For example, in an airport, people ask if I need help. I tell them no.
They always say “Are you sure?” They then debate the issue. Sometimes people
compare me to a relative, such as somebody with dementia. But I know where
I’m supposed to be and weather I need to ask how to get there. It’s not that
I’m too proud; I welcome it when I need it, but I should be the one to
decide when I need it.

            Also, many sighted people also believe that being blind is like
putting on a blindfold. This is incorrect. Parnell Diggs says, “Blindness
isn’t like putting on a blindfold. After 40 years, you learn a lot about
being blind. People also think your senses are better, which isn’t true. You
use your other senses more, but they’re not better.” If you put on a
blindfold, you may not know any blindness skills. If you are blind, you will
have more time to learn blindness skills. This is a fact that very few
sighted people consider when they think about being blind.

            Many blind people are unemployed. This is not because they
cannot do their job. There are two reasons why blind people could be
unemployed. One is that they do not want to get a job. They may live with
someone else who is working, and they have enough money, or they might just
not want to work (which is unwise, because they will most likely not have
enough money to live). The second, more common reason is that employers do
not hire them because they do not believe they can work well. This is
COMPLETELY incorrect. Under section 14c of the fair labor standards act, the
government can issue certificates that say that employers can pay blind
people below minimum wage. Goodwill, a charity store, is one of the biggest
users of these certificates (Lewis). IF blind people are lucky enough to be
hired, which is rare, they are often paid below minimum wage. Many stores do
this, which makes it hard for blind people to find a well-paying job. Some
careers are so low paying that it is not worth their while to work. This is
why many are unemployed.

            There are also many organizations that are fighting for equal
rights for blind people. One of the biggest ones is the NFB, The National
Federation of the Blind. Since the 1940s, the NFB has done things like
teaching Braille, selling Pac-Mates, fighting for equal rights and fair laws
for blind people, and most importantly, educating the public. To read their
website, go to NFB.org.

            Blindness is a topic that is extremely misunderstood by most
sighted people. Even though many people do not know it, blind people are
just as intelligent and hard working as most sighted people. Blindness does
not limit your abilities; it just makes you unable to see. Blind people are
not limited by their eyes, but by the limits that society places on blind
people. After all, blindness is just a characteristic.

Works Cited

Allday, Erin. “Scrambling to treat cause of blindness.” EBSCO: Kids search.

            2012. Web. 8 January 2013.

Aguire, Abby. “Limited by Blindness, Yet Savoring Self-Reliance.” EBSCO:
Kids search.     2008. Web. 9 January 2013.

Luxton, Matsuoka, and Rogers. “Blindness.” Grolier online.  Encyclopedia
Americana, 2013.          Web. 9 January 2013.

Diggs, Parnell. Personal interview. 1 March 2013.

Lewis, Anil. “Fair wages.” NFB. National Federation of the Blind, 2013. Web.

Special Letter

BY Aaron Holdcraft

(Editor's Note:  Aaron Holdcraft gave the following eulogy at the funeral of
his mother and our daughter, Beth Capps-Holdcraft on February 5, 2013.)

Dear Mom, a letter from your children,

         You loved us unconditionally.

         You forgave us endlessly.

         You nurtured us, comforted us, supported us and encouraged us like
no one else could. You made us feel as if there was no one more important in
the world than us. You are our mother and there is no one else in the world
like you.

         We know we will see you again someday, but while we are still here,
we will live every day to make you proud.  We will practice the many life
lessons you taught us, and we promise to honor your memory as long as we
live.  We will always live everyday to the fullest with a positive outlook
no matter how bad the situation, just as you did.  You taught us to live in
today, because you can’t change the past and you can’t write the future.
You taught us to love our enemy and how powerful forgiveness can be.

         We will miss the daily text messages you sent filled with
encouragement.  We will miss your goofy laugh, infectious smile and your
kind heart.  We will all undoubtedly miss your fabulous cooking, especially
your double layer chocolate cake.

         You were the best mother that anyone could ask for.  You would do
anything for us just to see us smile.  You would drop whatever you were
doing to answer any of our requests no matter how big or small.

         Although there may be grandchildren that you will not meet here on
this earth, they will know you through the memories that we will share and
you will shape them from the lives that we will live.  Although you are not
here physically with us, you are a part us and we promise to take care of
our family just as you did for us. We love you, mom, you are one of a kind,
and our lives as well as many others are forever changed because of you.

Pastor loses his sight, learns something new every day

By Charmaine Smith-Miles

(Editor's Note:  The following artice appeared in the November 25 edition of
the Anderson Independent newspaper.)

            Bob Norris' seeing-eye dog, Carmen, lies on the floor next to
him as he reads Braille at the Anderson County Library.

            ANDERSON — When Bob Norris walks along East Greenville Street on
Sunday mornings, he wears a pair of dark shades — no matter the weather —
and always has Carmen, his yellow Labrador retriever, at his side.

            Occasionally, as the traffic whizzes by, Bob will toss his hand
up and give a wave to those rushing off to church, to work and to other
destinations. He cannot see those he waves to, but he waves anyway. And he's
always wearing a small smile.

            He waves, he says, to remind others that he knows they are there
even if he cannot see them.

This is one of the routines that Bob and his trusted four-legged companion
have. When the weather is sunny, they will walk from their home in the Holly
Creek subdivision along S.C. 81 North to St. John's United Methodist Church
for the Sunday morning worship service. Always at Bob's side, Carmen even
joins her master at the communion rail and licks up the occasional crumb
from his bread.

            "We love to walk," Bob said. "We walk four-and-a-half miles
every day when the weather is good."

            The exercising keeps Bob, who has been through two back
surgeries this year, energetic and lively.

            It is one of the many things that has helped this retired
Methodist minister not sink into depression when he realized at 63 years old
that he was losing his eyesight and there was nothing he could do to stop it
or slow it down.

            And it is not just the exercise that keeps his spirits high.

            "I have so many resources to draw on," Bob said. "You are born
to die, and all these complications are part of it. But I feel like life has
been good to me."

            Bob Norris, a retired Methodist minister, is reflected in Carey
Buris' glasses while reading Braille. Norris takes Braille lessons from
Buris' with a group of other blind people at the Anderson County Library.

            Indeed, he has had a busy life.

            Bob, a 1957 graduate of D.W. Daniel High School in Central, was
a pastor for 46 years and spent time teaching science in public schools. He
and his wife, Margie, who have been married for 55 years, have raised four
children, have 10 grandchildren and just welcomed their first great
grandchild into the family two months ago.

            He and Margie knew each other when they were babies. Their
grandmothers lived across the street from one another. Eventually, when they
grew older "they drifted together" since they attended the same church in
Central.

            They married after they finished high school. Bob went to
Southern Wesleyan University and then went on to earn his master's of
divinity.

For years, while he worked as a pastor, and sometimes holding down another
job at the same time, he also remained a student. He was always learning
more.

            He was the pastor at churches from Anderson to Oklahoma City.

            While he was leading Shiloh United Methodist Church in Piedmont
20 years ago, he lost the sight in his left eye with absolutely no warning.

"I went to bed one night, and my eyes were fine," Bob said. "The next
morning, I woke and rubbed my eyes and things went blank. That was it."

It took Bob a couple of hours that day in 1992 to realize that something was
dreadfully wrong. At first, he thought his eyes were just tired from
excessive reading and burning pine brush the day before.

            After several visits to doctors, they finally diagnosed him with
the ischemic optic neuropathy, a sudden event in which the nerves that send
signals from his eyes to his brain die.

            Bob Norris' seeing-eye dog, Carmen, watches as he reads Braille
at the Anderson County Library.

            Doctors told him that there was no known cause or cure. And they
also told him he would eventually lose the sight in his right eye. They just
did not know when.

            It took 12 years for him to lose sight in his right eye.

            "In that 12 years, I emotionally prepared myself for the next
step," Bob said.

            He began learning about how he could read and move around town
without depending on Margie for everything.

            And he is still learning, and doing.

            In 2008, Bob learned how to work with Carmen, a dog trained by
Guiding Eyes for the Blind School in Yorktown Heights, N.Y. He has learned
how to use translators on computers so that now he can use the machines
better than when he could see.

            Bob also attends classes at the Anderson County Library, along
with several other people who are blind, and learns how to read Braille, a
system of raised dots on a page that translate into words. Last Tuesday, he
was one of two people who came to the class.

            He came with a book written in Braille, and several hymns — ones
that he had sung at church the week before — written in Braille. Bob typed
the hymns in Braille and was asking the class's volunteer teacher, Carey
Buris, to make sure they were correct.

            "I want to learn how to read Braille so I can read the hymns
while we sing them in church," Bob said. "Most people who study Braille,
study it as children. I don't see how children can put it all in their
minds."

            Not only is Bob still learning, he is still doing many of the
things he did before he lost his sight. He still plays golf, reads as much
now, if not more, than he did before. He still preaches on occasions and
performs wedding ceremonies. And he serves as the secretary for his
neighborhood's homeowners association.

            "I feel like life has been good to me," he said. "The
experiences of my life have given me a feast to draw on. I know what it is
like to hold a baby, and to see a rose. Vision is just one of the senses.
There are four others."

            Bob said he can do all of this because he is "surrounded by
people," especially his wife, who help in all sorts of ways. And he has
Carmen.

            It is that constant learning, a loving community of friends and
family who surround him, and his faith that help keep that smile on his face
as he walks.  "I know that whatever problem I have is temporary," Bob said.
"God can heal me immediately or he can take me immediately. I live every day
with the expectation that I may see perfectly at the end of this day."

60th Consecutive Barbecue - Outstanding Success

By Parnell Diggs

(Editor's Note:  NFB of SC President Parnell Diggs submitted this article as
an excellent example for NFB affiliate fundraising efforts.)

($24,000 gross, $15,000 net)

            It is often said that, “You must learn to walk before you can
learn to run”.  With that in mind, I want to share a fundraising initiative,
which has worked for the NFB of SC, Columbia Chapter since 1954.  In its
first year, it grossed $300, netted $100, and has since grown into the
annual project that supports Columbia Chapter programs for the entire year.
Here is how it works.

            Timeframe:  This is an event that will definitely span several
months from start to finish.  The Columbia Chapter traditionally holds its
Annual Barbecue on the last Thursday in April.  Work begins in early
January, shortly after the newly elected Chapter Board takes office.

            Appoint a Committee:  One of the most important committees
appointed by the newly elected chapter president is the Barbecue Committee.
It is most certainly a “working committee”.  The Chairman, having been
appointed by the chapter President, usually calls a committee meeting early
in January to develop action items for the duration of the project.

            Delegation to Meet Caterer:  It doesn’t take the entire
committee, but usually two or three committee members meet with the caterer
to plan the menu and set the catering price.  This is the price you pay the
caterer, not the amount you charge to your consumers.  Also, remember that
you do not have to serve barbecue.  Substitute spaghetti, pizza, or
whatever.

            If this is your first effort, you will need to consult with a
number of caterers and compare prices.  The meal you serve will have an
impact on the price.  In 2013, the Columbia Chapter is paying the caterer
$3.33 for barbecue chicken, slaw, and corn on the cob.  The Chapter is
adding bread, tea, and coffee and charging the public $8 for a plate
consisting of chicken, slaw, corn, sliced bread, and tea or coffee.

            Supplies:  To generate gross proceeds in the neighborhood of
$24,000, the Columbia Chapter sells approximately 3000 barbecue dinners in a
campaign.  That’s a lot of plates, plastic eating utensils, Styrofoam cups,
and napkins; and believe me; you don’t want to have to wash that many
dishes.  The other advantage to using disposable dishes is that they are
inexpensive.

            For 3000 place settings, you can expect to pay several hundred
dollars, which is not bad when your expected gross sales will be well over
$20,000.  Or better yet, try to get supplies donated.  Check with local
party shops, churches, and civic organizations.  Incidentally, you may also
be able to get bread, tea, and coffee donated.  Donations of various items
will of course reduce your cost and increase profits.

            Venue:  Be sure to determine where you are going to hold your
event.  This decision needs to be made early so you can print the
appropriate information on any flyers, tickets, etc that you maywish to
distribute.  Every community has centers, church fellowship halls, civic
organizations with meeting space, or Elks Lodges who will let you hold your
event.

            Publicity:  Of course, you will want to spread the word about
your event.  The Columbia Chapter distributes flyers, public service
announcements for NFB Newsline, radio, and TV.  In addition to these
methods, the Columbia Chapter has canvassed the neighborhood around the
venue for years in the weeks leading up to the day of the Barbecue.

            Sales:  In the surrounding neighborhoods close to the site of
the Annual Barbecue, Columbia Chapter members participate in three canvass
nights.  On these evenings, members meet and determine which street each
member will canvass.  Each member walks from door-to-door informing
residents about the approaching Barbecue and offering tickets for sale.

            Chapter members are also given an allotment of tickets (along
about the time of the February Chapter meeting) and are expected to sell
them.  In fact, financial assistance to national and state conventions, and
other popular outings where financial assistance may be needed, is linked to
the number of tickets a member sells and how many canvass nights he/she
works.

            You want to be sure to sell as many tickets as possible in
advance.  That way, you will know what kind of crowd to expect.  Basically,
customers buy a number of tickets in advance, arrive on barbecue day,
present their tickets, and procure their dinners either to be consumed
onsite or to go.

            Barbecue Day:  On the last Thursday in April, some 3000 dinners
are prepared and served between the hours of 12:00 noon and 8:00 PM.  There
is even a delivery service for orders of 15 or more dinners to locations
within a certain radius.

            The caterer makes several deliveries to the barbecue site
throughout the day.  The dinners are then prepared and placed into serving
containers using an assembly line method with chapter members doing the
work.  For example, a person places the chicken in the container, then it is
passed to a person who scoops slaw, the next person handles the corn
, you
get the idea.

            Stewardship:  The Columbia Chapter is on the PAC Plan.
Additionally, the Chapter spends literally thousands of dollars each year
sending members to national conventions.  The Annual Barbecue makes it
possible for the Columbia Chapter to support our programs at all levels on a
consistent basis.

            Remember, there are no national dues, and it is up to us to
support the organization we love if we are to continue to move toward our
goal of first-class citizenship status in society.  The NFB of SC, Columbia
Chapter understands this and enthusiastically does its part to help ensure
our financial security.

Living Memorials

By David Houck

            Living Memorial gifts were established as a meaningful way to
remember a loved one who has passed by making a tax deductible contribution
to the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, the Federation
Center of the Blind or Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the
Blind.  These gifts benefit blind South Carolinians while perpetuating the
memory of one near and dear to you.  These gifts are also of comfort to the
family of the one being remembered.

            A few recent examples come to mind regarding living memorial
gifts which have greatly benefitted the blind.  Beth Capps Holdcraft, the
daughter of Donald and Betty Capps passed away recently due to cancer.  The
obituary specifically mentioned that memorial gifts be made to Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind which Beth had visited many times
and was dear to her heart.      As a result, in the weeks to come, many
living memorials were received totaling in excess of $2,500.

            Milburn "Red" Shaw is well known in the Columbia area for his
work with the Boy Scouts, taking Troop 424 to Rocky Bottom, having his wife
Vera remembered for her love of Rocky Bottom in the Osterneck Cottage Dining
Room, working with the Columbia Chapter's annual barbecues for decades and
as an Advisory Board member of the Federation Center of the Blind.  When he
passed away his obituary asked that memorial gifts be made to the Federation
Center of the Blind.  As a result, almost $1,000 has been given in his
memory to the Federation Center of the Blind.

            It is simple to remember a loved one with a living memorial
gift.  A check is made payable to the NFB of SC, Rocky Bottom or the
Federation Center.  We need the name of the person you are memorializing and
the name and address of the family member you want to receive the letter.
We will also send you a copy of the letter for your records which also
allows the one receiving your memorial gift letter to respond back for your
thoughtfulness.  Please contact the state office at 803-254-3777 if you need
any assistance in making a living memorial contribution.  These gifts can be
mailed to 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC

29205.

Carnival Cruise Lines, Here We Come!

By Dorothy C. Barksdale

            What an exciting time it was on January 14, 2013 as we rolled
down I-26 headed to Charleston to meet with all of our fellow federationists
from across the state of South Carolina to board the Fantasy Cruise Ship.
Some of us were first time cruisers and there were others who had been
numerous times.

            As we approached the ship, going through security; standing in
line waiting to be checked in, receiving assigned rooms as well as room
keys, there was excitement everywhere even among our passengers.  There were
approximately 41 federationists who boarded the Fantasy headed to the
Bahamas, Nassau and Freeport--a five day cruise.  The ship was sailing so
smoothly until you could barely tell it was moving.  There were lots and
lots of food, fun and fellowship throughout the five days--shopping,
partying, dancing, swimming and meeting other people from other states as
well as other countries.  You didn't have to ever worry about getting lost
because there was always someone at your rescue, whether it was a cruise
steward or a passenger.

            Here are some of the comments and fun filled stories from some
of the other federation members who cruised along.

            Julia Rembert, Columbia Chapter member:  "This was my first
cruise and I did thoroughly enjoy myself.  I met a lot of people even some
from Columbia, Greenville, Lancaster, North Carolina, Michigan and Ohio.  I
thought I was going to be scared, but no, I had a ball.  I enjoyed the
cruise so much until I plan to attend my second one in January of 2014."

            Debra Canty, President, Sumter Chapter, NFB of SC.  "I just
returned in January of 2013 from my fifteenth cruise and this time it was
with the NFB of SC.  I enjoyed experiencing the onboard entertainment,
dining, shopping, dancing, massages and visiting the Islands of Freeport and
Nassau in The Bahamas and interacting with the Bohemians and making deals at
the straw market.  As a blind individual, I found cruising to be an
enjoyable experience.  If you have not gone on a cruise, take one and enjoy
yourself."

            NFB of SC President , Parnell Diggs.  "The NFB of SC Cruise was
the most unique fundraiser that we have ever conducted.  With some 40
members aboard the ship, and with upwards of $5,000 raised, it was also one
of the most successful efforts in support of the state treasury in a long
time.  It was great to see many of our fellow federation brothers and
sisters at various times during the five day trip to and from the Bahamas.
Those who were on the cruise have indicated that they would like to do
another one, and this seems very likely."

            Gail Nelson, Columbia Chapter member.  "This was my second
cruise and it was much more enjoyable than the first one as I was with my
fellow federationists from all across the state.  The food was so delicious
even though some of the time I didn't know what I was eating.  The cruise
crew was very helpful in every respect."

            Martha L. Coleman, Member NFB of Tennessee Nashville Chapter.
"My sister told me about the cruise and being that I had never gone on one;
I traveled from Nashville, Tennessee to join my sister Gail and friends.  I
had a great time and wouldn't have missed it for nothing.  I was
experiencing a cold but felt much better when the ship arrived in the
Bahamas where it was nice and warm.  The atmosphere was just lovely.  I am
thankful to the NFB of SC for this great opportunity and whenever I move
back to South Carolina, I will be a part of the Columbia Chapter."

            One of my dreams has always been to go on a cruise.  All of my
friends have been trying to get me on the ship but I was a little afraid.
Even though I signed up for the cruise last April, and at that time I wasn't
sure I was going, but as time progressed I thought about it more and more.
What a time!  I thought I was in another world after boarding the ship.
Like others, I thoroughly enjoyed being with my federation family.  Labarre
Travel was also very helpful and made our trip even better.         There
was so much to do.  Oh yes, I did my share of partying, dancing, eating and
shopping.  I met so many wonderful people from various states ands other
countries who were so helpful.  The food was great, especially the chocolate
cake--the best I have ever had.  The cruise stewards were very helpful.  I
didn't want to get off the ship when I returned to Charleston because I
really did enjoy myself.  I enjoyed it so much I am making plans to attend
another one in January of 2014.

            Hopefully when the NFB of SC goes on the next one, maybe we will
double the number of members going, especially totally blind members.
Taking a cruise is quite an experience.  If you haven't taken one, I suggest
you do so.

            Special thanks to the following associate members who helped in
every possible way that they could--Julie Bible, Laurens Sanders, Heyward
McKenzie, Judy Simon and Trent Tedder, Marty McKenzie's driver.  Of course I
can't forget about Kayla, the granddaughter of Milton and Melinda Tant for a
job well done.

David and Darlene Houck Take Caribbean Cruise

By Donald C. Capps

            On April 29, 1983, thirty years ago, a young man in his 20's met
with the Center's Board of Trustees to be interviewed for the position of
Executive Director.  I'm referring to none other than David Houck.  His
interview was a model as he answered each and every question with
perfection.  He had learned a good bit about the federation as a member of
the Greenville Chapter.  During his thirty year employment he has been the
glue that holds the federation and RBRCCB programs together.  I can't recall
him missing more than two or three days for illness, including eye surgery
during his longtime employment.  When he is out of the office for anything,
he is greatly missed.  David has just returned from a cruise which he and
Darlene enjoyed.  He has graciously agreed to share some happenings from
this cruise with our Palmetto Blind readers.

            They traveled to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to board the Carnival
Freedom which set sail Sunday, March 3 for Key West, FL, Grand Cayman
Island, and Jamaica before returning to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday, March 9.
The trip was a double blessing.  Their cruise was relaxing and, as most of
you know, the ship's service was excellent.  They also met three times with
about forty members of Lanakila ("Victory" in Hawaiian) Baptist Church from
Waipahu on Oahu.  Since David's family was charter members of Lanakila
(August 13, 1967) it was a fine reunion to hear testimonies about the growth
of the church since that time.  They each received a goodie bag with
chocolate covered macadamia nuts, a Hawaiian calendar, photos of the group,
a church choir and anniversary CD and each cabin received a $50 ship's store
credit.  They toured Grand Cayman Island which is a British Colony and they
drive on the left side of the road so you must be careful crossing the
streets.  They purchased several items and photos for family members and
took some personal photos as well.  As those of you can attest who took the
NFB of SC cruise, they are looking forward to another one.  During breakfast
on the ship one morning they ate in the Posh Dining Room on the third floor
aft and a lady seated at the table from New York commented that she gave to
only two organizations, one being the NFB.  She didn't know at that time
David worked with the NFB of SC.  Welcome back David.

>From the President's Desk

By Parnell Diggs

            In 2013, we are holding our Fifty-seventh Annual State
Convention at the Spartanburg Marriott during the weekend of August 9
through 11.  This one will have a slightly different feel than the previous
Conventions.  For one thing, the Luncheon will feature a meeting of the
State Board, which will mean that the entire statewide membership will have
the opportunity to participate in the meeting.

            I believe this will be the largest State Board meeting in the
history of the NFB of SC.  Chapter and division presidents are always
encouraged to come and participate, but we have never enjoyed an audience of
some three hundred persons.  Members should come prepared to provide input
and help plan all of the things we will be doing in the upcoming Federation
year.

            Let’s work together to push for maximum turnout, as we gather to
celebrate our accomplishments over the preceding twelve months (and more
broadly through the preceding decades) and set goals for the time ahead
including the immediate future as well as for generations to come.

Beloved Federationist Dies

By Donald Capps

            It's inevitable but we seem to be frequently losing outstanding
senior members with Mary Middleton recently passing away on Monday, March 4,
2013 at the age of 80.  Mary Middleton was one of the nicest ladies in the
NFB of SC.  Everyone liked her and appreciated her charm and gracious
manner.  Born and raised in Charleston, she's proud to be a "Geechee."  In
1933 Mary enrolled at the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind.  She's proud
that she could read and write Braille after six months of instruction.  She
attended the School between 1933 and 1943, receiving her certificate as the
School was not then eligible for diplomas.  In the 30's and 40's and
thereafter for some time, segregation required Mary to go to the "black
school" located on the same campus but a few hundred yards from the "white
school."  I was at SCSDB from 1939-1944.  Thus, I was at School for four
years (1939-43) and you will see that Mary and I were there at the same time
for four years.  It would be more than 30 years later that I knew of Mary
Middleton when she joined the Charleston Chapter in 1974.  When I was at the
School we received gifts from the Spartanburg Lions Club at Christmas time.
In 2005 when the blind celebrated their 150th anniversary of the "Blind
School," I mentioned that the Lions Club was good to me and others but Mary,
as soon as she could, she told me that my comments were the first she had
ever heard this as black blind children did not receive gifts.  This
practice was not meant to be evil as segregation was the order of the day
but certainly as Mary and I discussed firsthand, this unintended hurt is
still evil any way you cut it.  After school Mary went to work at the
Charleston Association for the Blind caning chairs for some 20 years.  Mary
received Orientation and Mobility training at the Commission for the Blind
in 1978.  Mary joined the federation 40 years ago in 1973.  She was
extremely generous, always demonstrating a giving spirit.  In 1983, Mary was
the first black to serve as the Secretary of the NFB of SC.  She was on the
board many terms as she was so popular that it was highly unlikely that
anyone would run against her.  She has served as President, Vice President,
Secretary and Treasurer of the Charleston Chapter.  She has attended all of
the NFB of SC conventions and most of the national conventions.  She has no
brothers or sisters but appreciated the fact her grandmother raised her with
love.  She was a strong Christian and active in her local church.  Mary
loved Rocky Bottom and never passed up an opportunity to visit Rocky Bottom
including numerous Senior Camps.  Having been immobilized because of health
issues in recent times, it became more difficult for Mary to travel as she
once did and because of this she missed being at a Senior Blind gathering at
RBRCCB.  However, Mary was able to join the NFB of SC on its recent cruise
early this year on the Carnival Fantasy.  Mary was a real trooper and we
salute her and are proud to spotlight her.

>From the Editor

By Donald C. Capps

            The Palmetto Blind is the vehicle of the NFB of SC in the
dissemination of information relative to blindness.  It is the policy of the
Palmetto Blind to feature as many articles as possible dealing with events
which are a part of blindness.  Officially, the Palmetto Blind is the voice
of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  This issue of
the Palmetto Blind is no different.  There is coverage of our mid-winter
Statewide Seminar, articles pertaining to the specific experiences of blind
people, a newspaper article concerning his adjustment to blindness, a cruise
enjoyed by the blind, and an article on a loved one.  While we solicit
articles from as many qualified people as possible, this is necessarily
limited because of space.  This issue may be the first to feature an article
by a boy who had just become a teenager but who described blindness as well
as, and perhaps better than many twice his age.  I'm referring to President
Parnell Digg's son, Jordan Diggs and his article on blindness.  The Palmetto
Blind is the product of teamwork, as, your Editor I strive to involve as
many competent writers as possible, dealing with many different topics.  A
lot of time and effort of several contributors is involved and occurs before
the publication reaches you--the reader.  In a few weeks a large delegation
of South Carolinians will be attending the NFB Orlando Convention.  Soon
thereafter during the first part of August, blind South Carolinians will be
traveling to Spartanburg to attend the annual convention of the NFB of SC.
And soon thereafter, the annual statewide program will occur at the Labor
Day weekend Fun Day Festival held at Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind.  Thus, it is clear that busy months lie ahead.  Be sure
to attend as many of these activities as is humanly possible as they offer
fun, valuable information and singleness of purpose.

Final Thought

Hug Therapy

If I could bottle up and
Sell a wonder drug
Then I would choose to bottle up
A warm and loving hug

For nothing is much better
As a tonic for a cure
Then just a little hug that can

Chase away a tear!

If you notice someone's face is
Looking rather low
Come along beside them
And let your caring show

Place your arm around them
And give a little squeeze
There's nothing like a hug to
Give the heart some ease!

By Jennifer Byerly

__._,_.___

zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRtc2dJZAMyMgRzZWMDZ
nRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNzA1NjkzNjM-?act=reply&messageNum=22> Reply via
web post

<mailto:bundy at pobox.com?subject=Re%3A%20Spring-Summer%202013%20Palmetto%20Bl
ind> Reply to sender

<mailto:PalmettoBlind at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Spring-Summer%202013%2
0Palmetto%20Blind> Reply to group

zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNud
HBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNzA1NjkzNjM-> Start a New Topic

zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRtc2dJZAMyMgR
zZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNzA1NjkzNjMEdHBjSWQDMjI-> Messages in this
topic (1)

Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PalmettoBlind;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMTZrcjdxBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBH
N0aW1lAzEzNzA1NjkzNjM->

DY5NTIxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTE4OTA1MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM3MDU2OTM2M
w--> Yahoo! Groups

Switch to: Text-Only
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%
20Format:%20Traditional> , Daily Digest
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Dig
est>  • Unsubscribe
<mailto:PalmettoBlind-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>  •
Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  • Send us Feedback
<mailto:ygroupsnotifications at yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20r
edesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>

.

http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=12469521/grpspId=1705189052/msgId
=22/stime=1370569363

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers’ Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee