[Nfb-editors] [NFB-editors] How to?

Wunder, Gary gwunder at nfb.org
Wed Jan 22 01:05:20 UTC 2014

It is always a tough call to know whether planting the seed by significantly helping someone sets you up to be an enabler or a builder of attitudes and skills. I've seen it work both ways. The first article I wrote that appeared in the Braille Monitor was started by President Maurer. He told me that what was going on in Missouri needed to receive national attention, and I said I just didn't know how to begin. We were both standing in his hotel room and at that point he began to pace. He suggested I turn on the tape recorder I had proudly brought along to capture our event. He said, "I think it might begin like this." He then began describing the difficulties that blind people were experiencing here, and after about a page of work he stopped, said we were out of time, asked that I finish off the piece, and offered to go over it with me by telephone. He wasn't immediately available when I called to read him my draft, but Dr. Jernigan took the call and invited me to start. At that moment I thought I had some idea of what it might feel like to be the basketball star who has been fouled, has two shots to tie and win the game, and who realizes that, with one second on the clock, his will be the last shots in the game. I only remember one correction he made as I read it to him. I was using the word as when what I really meant was since or because, and he told me this was a common mistake but one I should avoid.

The person who is now in charge of our governmental affairs efforts here in the state was once very shy about writing. I worked with her on a writing project and, in the middle of it, she asked to take my chair and suggested I find another way to occupy myself for the next half hour or so. She said I made her nervous when I was looking over her shoulder, so I came back in half an hour and she had completed her article. She doesn't even bother to run things by me when we are in a hurry to me to legislative deadline. She has the confidence to know it will be good. I think it was time well invested.

Unfortunately, not all of our efforts take. One of our members was elected as the state's recording secretary, a position that flattered him but left him feeling as though he didn't know how to do the work that would be required. I encouraged him, and we started by doing his minutes together. He would bring notes (good notes), and I would help him put them in sentence form with appropriate transitions. After we had done this for a couple of years, I noticed that he wasn't coming with notes. I could get a vague recollection out of him, but he was relying not only on my ability to put things in sentences but on the notes I had taken during the meetings. This was not what I wanted in the way of a success story, and although I had set up the game and made the rules, I felt a bit abused. Somewhere I stopped being a helper and started being an enabler, and he began to take for granted my help in doing his job rather than regarding it as teaching so that he could do it himself.

I guess the best we can do is try and periodically evaluate how we're doing.