[Nfb-editors] How would this work?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 20:18:38 UTC 2014

Joyce,

Personally, I think it would be nice to have articles from the crafters
division in Federation publications. I believe many blind people would
find this interesting and would like to learn how to continue a craft or
how to begin doing a craft.

As for word lengths, it depends on the type of publication and what
you're seeking. You don't want to provide information overload to your
readers, so the most concise and precise way of writing is preferred.
With Slate & Style, articles are not to exceed 1500 words. Fiction and
memoir/essay submissions can be up to 3000 words. When I edited an
affiliate newsletter, I believe I had a word cap of 1500 or 2000 words
for articles. Considering the type of publication, this is a pretty
generous word length. Ultimately, you want to pack a punch but with
economy. At the end of the day though, as an editor, it's your call.

As Gary says, you can totally pull articles from other Federation
publications, though I'm with Mike, I prefer to not do this. When I
edited The Nebraska Independent, I did not use material published in
other Federation publications, though once or twice I did publish an
article from a non-Nebraskan. I also do not believe in the ghost writing
thing unless it's established and done every time. For example, some
editors ghost write articles from their affiliate presidents and it's
done every time. But to do it just because someone doesn't turn in an
article on time or to fill the newsletter, I'm with Mike, this isn't the
job of an editor. But again, as editor, that's your call to make.

Bridgit

Message: 3