[Nfb-editors] New Jersey - The Sounding Board, Spring 2014

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu May 8 02:23:01 UTC 2014

SPRING 2014

The Sounding Board

The Publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

IN THIS ISSUE

MARY JO PARTYKA & YVONNE LOPEZ

discuss New Jersey’s first BELL program

VINCENT CHANEY

announces the legislation of Dusty’s Law and describes the next steps to be

taken

JESSICA SCANNELL

describes her life-changing experiences at the Louisiana National Center

AMY ALBIN

shares a speech she wrote concerning the need to advocate for Braille

literacy

DAN FRYE

describes his vision for CBVI

¬¬

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Spring 2014

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgins & MaryJo Partyka, Co-editors

Published by e-mail and on the Web through Newsline and AudioVision by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office   254 Spruce Street   Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests,

letters to the Editor and articles for The Sounding Board should be sent to

the

State Affiliate Office or e-mailed to choirnfb at gmail.com. The editorial

staff reserves the right to edit all articles for space and/or clarity

considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Fall issue is October 1, 2014.

Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

To subscribe via Newsline, contact Maria Baratta, 800-792-8322.

JACOBUS TENBROEK LEGACY SOCIETY

Help build a future full of opportunity for the blind by becoming a member

of the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society. Your legacy gift to the National

Federation of the Blind can be made in the form of a will or a living trust,

an income-generating gift, or by naming the NFB as a beneficiary of a

retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can also become a member of

the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society by making a legacy gift to your state

affiliate. By committing to support an NFB affiliate, your gift will benefit

both local and national programs, since all bequests made to affiliates are

split evenly with the NFB national treasury. In addition to having the

satisfaction of contributing to the future success of the NFB's mission,

tenBroek Legacy Society members also receive a specially designed thank you

gift and other benefits. For additional information, please contact Lou Ann

Blake at the NFB Jernigan Institute by e-mail at lblake at nfb.org, or by

telephone at 410-659-9314, extension 2221.

Mission Statement

         The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Inc. is an

organization  of blind and interested sighted people who plan and carry out

programs; work to improve the quality of life of the blind; provide a means

of collective action for parents of blind children; promote the vocational,

cultural and social advancement of the blind; achieve the integration of the

blind into society on a basis of equality with the sighted; and take action

that will improve the overall condition and standard of living of the blind.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

    I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for

the blind; to support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to

abide by its constitution.

The Sounding Board

    The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the

Blind of New Jersey. We publish The Sounding Board twice a year. Our hope is

that through The Sounding Board, our members can keep current with local,

state and national news and issues of concern. We also aspire to provide a

source of hope, inspiration, pride and camaraderie through the personal

stories in our publication.

About 300 readers receive our publication via e-mail, and we also encourage

registration with Newsline Online, which sends publications, sections of

publications or articles you select to your e-mail address for downloading.

We’re pleased that the New Jersey Talking Book and Braille Center airs

excerpts from The Sounding Board on Audiovision.  The Sounding Board is also

available for download in its entirety from our website at www.nfbnj.org and

is broadcast on our radio station, ThruOurEyes.org. We encourage our readers

to share The Sounding Board with family members, teachers, professionals,

neighbors and any other interested parties.  We estimate our circulation to

be in the thousands, as readers from across the country regularly report

that The Sounding Board influences their lives. We hope you enjoy this

issue.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Swing into Spring, POBC-NJ fundraiser flyer    next page

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo      1

A CBVI Update, by Dan Frye    3

Legislative Report, by Lynn Reynolds    5

NFB Responds to President Obama’s Fair Wages for Workers, by Marc Maurer

7

Dusty’s Law Announcement, by Vincent Chaney    8

Atlantic Cape Community College Discriminates Against Blind Student, Bans

Him From Freely Accessing Campus, by Chris Danielsen    9

The PAC Plan – The Latest and Greatest, by Ryan Stevens    10

Why use the word “Blind”? by James H. Omvig     11

One Dream, One Chance, An Opportunity to Succeed, by Jessica Scannell    12

It’s Time for Change! Braille Literacy Education Revisited, by Amy Albin

14

BELL Program: Braille Enrichment Through Literacy & Learning, by Mary Jo

Partyka    16

PRAHD Proud to Host BELL Program, by Yvonne Lopez    17

NFB Free Slate & Stylus Program    17

Calling All Braille Readers, Teachers & Parents: It’s Time for the Braille

Book Fair!    18

GreenDrop Program    18

National Hearing Test Offered Free in May     19

iCanConnect Provides Communications Technology for Those with Combined

Vision and Hearing Loss, by Kathy Gabry    19

Techie Tips    20

Did You Know
    21

NFBNJ Member Recognition    23

Letter to the Editor    23

>From the Kitchen of the Capital Chapter    24

NFBNJ Contact Info    25

SWING INTO SPRING

Featuring

REEDS, RHYTHM, & ALL THAT BRASS

18-piece Big Band Concert and Dance

to Benefit the Programs of the

BLIND CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER

of PARENTS OF BLIND CHILDREN-NJ

Saturday, May 31, 2014

6:30 - 11 pm

St. Vincent's School Auditorium

26 Green Village Road, Madison, NJ

       Donation: $30

      POBC & NFB Members: $20

      Children: $10

  Free dance lesson at 6:30 pm

with Jim Reitter, Swing Dance Plus

     Dessert and Coffee

For TICKETS & INFORMATION contact CAROL CASTELLANO

973-377-0976    or    blindchildren at verizon.net

Make your check payable to POBC-NJ

23 Alexander Ave., Madison NJ  07940

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists!

Spring is here at last! This is the time of year for bringing forth new

ideas and new opportunities. It’s a time to renew our support to each other

as we all work together to make a positive difference and change what it

means to be blind.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  We all know that low

expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. Every

day we in the NFB raise the expectations of blind people. You can have the

life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.  Together, with love,

hope and determination, we turn dreams into reality. Our local, state and

national programs work with you and for you creating and changing laws,

providing skills training, teaching Braille, exploring technology and

raising expectations.  A fine example of our efforts is the recent enactment

of Dusty’s Law. The New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users, under the

leadership of Vincent Chaney, worked with The Seeing Eye staff, trainers,

and past and current students, as well as several communities, to ensure

this law’s unanimous  (134 – 0) passage.  An article highlighting the

introduction of this law is in this issue.

In January, the NFBNJ hosted its annual After the Holiday Party at the

Belleville Knights of Columbus. That day, NFBNJ and the Knights of Columbus

also conducted a GreenDrop drive. Members of both organizations, along with

residents of Belleville and members from two local churches collected

household goods. GreenDrop collects donations of clothing and household

items and then sells the goods to thrift stores on behalf of the NFB. The

proceeds support the NFB’s programs. In May, a Morris County Cub Scout troop

will assist the NFBNJ in another GreenDrop drive.  You, too, can conduct a

similar drive with your school, church or civic organization. You can find

out more about GreenDrop in this issue.

In  January, Mary Jo Partyka, president of the NJ Association to Promote the

Use of Braille, Holly Miller, president of Parents of Blind Children – NJ,

and I attended a 3-day workshop on the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and

Learning, or BELL, program at the National Center. We’re proud to announce

that the first BELL program for New Jersey will be conducted July 21 -

August 1, 2014.  We’re confident the program will be a huge success thanks

to Mary Jo and Holly, as well as Barbara Shalit, instructor, and Jerilyn

Higgins, activities of daily living teacher, and all our volunteers. Find

out more about the BELL program in this issue, and join us on the road to

literacy!

Also in this edition of The Sounding Board, you’ll find information on the

issues presented at the Washington Seminar. All of these issues inspire us

TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE and to contact our legislators when the call to all is

provided.

The New Jersey Commission for the Blind has established a Strategic Design

Planning Team to provide a plan for the agency for the next three to five

years. The team consists of CBVI administrators, managers, staff and leaders

in the consumer groups.  Please read the article by Dan Frye in this issue.

Tara Carty has been appointed chair of the NFBNJ’s new Press Core Committee,

which informs the public of our programs and projects, as well as the

successes of our members. Each chapter and division has been asked to assign

a member to this committee.

The National Convention will be held July 1 – July 6 in Orlando. Be on the

lookout for the agenda so that you can scope out the many activities and

plan your three hours of sleep every other day.  For those not attending

this year, I hope that you’ll read the agenda and consider making plans to

attend next year.

The NFBNJ will conduct its 38th annual State Convention at the Holiday Inn

in  Manahawkin, November 7 – 9, 2014. As information is finalized, we will

forward.

Members of the NFB and the New Jersey affiliate staged a protest at the Mays

Landing Campus of Atlantic Cape Community College on April 17 to combat

discrimination by ACCC against Anthony Lanzilotti, a blind student studying

criminal justice and cyber security. An article appears in this issue, and

you can see a video online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJSZNsM0n9g.

Finally, I want to thank Kathy Rawa for her time and dedication as president

of the South Jersey Shore Chapter.

In summary, thanks to our dedicated, hardworking and committed members who

are making a difference!

Upcoming Important Dates

•    May 16: GreenDrop Program/Cub Scout collection, Kinnelon

•    May 31: Parents of Blind Children’s Swing into Spring Dance, Madison

•    June 21: Wedding Bells for Ivis Alvarez and Alberto Trejo

•    July 1 – 6: National Convention, Orlando

•    July 21 – August 1: BELL program, Perth Amboy

•    October 1: Deadline for articles for the Fall issue of The Sounding

Board

•    October 1 - 31: Meet the Blind Month

•    October 25: Wedding Bells for Kevin Sisco and Christine Crotty

•    November 7 to 9: State Convention, Holiday inn, Manahawkin

Sincerely,

    Joseph Ruffalo, President

A CBVI UPDATE

By Daniel B. Frye

Editor’s Note: Dan Frye is the executive director of the New Jersey

Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired.

As I near the 6-month mark of my tenure as the new executive director of the

New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired (CBVI), I am proud

of where this agency is and where it is headed. Much of my initial work has

involved getting to know the broader blind and vision-impaired constituency

in this state and developing a solid rapport with the senior management team

and front-line staff of this organization. Toward this end, I devoted much

of the first several months of my responsibilities to traveling throughout

New Jersey to meet consumer groups and other allied service providers.

Similarly, I visited each of CBVI’s regional offices to introduce myself and

my ideas to the CBVI family.

In addition to participating in this natural orientation exercise, managing

the day-to-day administrative obligations and policy questions of this

state-wide agency, responding to consumer concerns and compliments, and

introducing some fresh, internal communications and cultural initiatives to

our staff, my most important work for CBVI thus far has included being

thoroughly engaged in working with our staff and external partners to

develop a new, long-term strategic plan for the Commission. Specifically,

our process has been strengthened through the participation of several

leaders from among the affiliate of the NFBNJ, including President Joe

Ruffalo and POBC-NJ representative Carol Castellano. This effort will, when

fully realized, help to lay the foundation for what basic values CBVI will

stand for and what primary services we will be able to provide.

Instead of chronicling further what I’ve tried to accomplish during the

short time that I have had the privilege of serving the blind and

vision-impaired community of New Jersey, since six months is no time at all

in the institutional history of an organization with over 100 years of

heritage and heart, I’d like to leave you with my current version of my

broad vision for CBVI. This set of principles will inform much of what the

Commission will strive to achieve through the creation of a practical and

useful strategic plan. These points also represent the fundamental building

blocks of what I hope to achieve as the new CBVI executive director. To be

sure, my vision will evolve and become better defined as I continue the

prerequisite learning associated with leading a dynamic organization and

interacting with consumers who will share with me their perspectives, but I

feel confident in outlining this blueprint for you as a respectable starting

ambition. Here, in part, are some of my immediate priorities for the forward

momentum of CBVI. CBVI should be an agency that:

1.    Promotes an increased sense of self-confidence and high expectations

of and for our consumers, emphasizing that nothing inherent in blindness

need limit personal or professional achievement. Realizing this objective

will involve adoption of innovative and unconventional efforts to effect

systemic cultural and social change in the general public’s thinking about

the capacity of blind and vision-impaired people to participate in the world

as contributing, self-sufficient, fully integrated people, who are valued

and accepted as equals.

2.    Leverages the diverse services currently offered through CBVI

(education, VR, IL and eye-health) to create programs and solutions for

consumers, thereby maximizing our organizational advantage of offering a

life-long array of services and promoting improved interdisciplinary

cooperation, which promises to make our offerings increasingly unique and

rich.

3.    Offers a “Cadillac Service Model” of supports to promote the

education, training, career-readiness and solid employment outcomes of our

consumers so that they may achieve social, political and economic

self-sufficiency. Such a model relies on the principle of quality over

quantity in service delivery.

4.    Engages, in particular, the business community about the capabilities

of blind and vision-impaired consumers so that these cultivated allies

affirmatively want to work with CBVI to employ qualified blind and

vision-impaired candidates. CBVI must target business as a secondary

customer of our agency, promoting blindness education and blindness-specific

consulting as attractive deliverables to offer this community.

5.    Becomes an agency that values transparency with its internal and

external stakeholders through:

A.    Valuing the contributions of all staff and creating a work environment

that relies on open communications, encourages critical thinking and

constructive feedback, cultivates staff professional development, and

instills within all CBVI staff a true sense of organizational mission;

B.    Acknowledging that consumers and other interested CBVI stakeholders

should be instrumental in influencing the shape of the services and programs

that we offer; and

C.    Acquiring and earning recognition as an authority on blindness, low

vision, vision loss and eye health, such that local, state and federal

entities within New Jersey look to CBVI as an expert of first resort in our

field.

As I grow into this position, I look forward to developing a fruitful and

robust relationship with the members of the NFBNJ. Please be in touch with

me to offer your ideas and suggestions about measures that CBVI should

potentially take to serve the blind and vision-impaired community well.

Together, we’ll create new opportunities in the areas of training and

employment — opportunities that just may transform dreams into exciting

realities for our blind and vision-impaired consumers.

SPRING 2014 LEGISLATIVE REPORT

By Lynn Reynolds

On January 28, 2014, 11 members of the NFBNJ affiliate met with our senators

and representatives to discuss issues designated this year by the NFB that

impact the blind community. Below are updates of the issues that were

presented.

Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act: Section 14(c) of the Fair

Labor Standards Act allows employers to pay workers with disabilities less

because of the false assumption that they are less productive than

non-disabled workers. As a result, workers with disabilities have been

unfairly excluded from the federal minimum wage for nearly 75 years, and

today some 400,000 disabled workers are working for subminimum wages, some

for only pennies per hour.  This old-fashioned provision breeds low

expectations and discourages Americans with disabilities from reaching their

full potential. H.R. 831 phases out the use of the 14(c) Special Wage

Certificates over a 3-year period, thereby ending the era of segregated,

sub-minimum wage work and guaranteeing workforce protection of a federal

minimum wage to workers with disabilities. The bill currently has 70

co-sponsors. A letter written by NFB President Marc Maurer to President

Obama in support of this legislation appears after this article.

We are also fighting to remove Section 511 of Title V of the Rehabilitation

Act included in the Workforce Investment Act reauthorization bill. Section

511 would authorize vocational rehabilitation agencies to use the

antiquated, discriminatory subminimum-wage provision of Section 14(c) of the

Fair Labor Standards Act to provide training and employment that costs more,

produces poorer outcomes, and actually teaches skills that need to be

unlearned in order for an individual with a disability to obtain competitive

integrated employment. We have sent a template of a letter for all members

of our affiliate to use when writing letters to urge Senator Cory Booker to

support removal of Section 511.

The Technology, Education and Accessibility in College and Higher Education

(TEACH) Act:  Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional

methods of learning in post-secondary education, but the overwhelming

majority of e-books, courseware, web content and other technology are

inaccessible to students with print disabilities. The law mandates equal

access in the classroom, but fails to provide a prescription to schools for

how that applies to technology. The TEACH Act creates accessibility

guidelines for electronic instructional materials that will guide the

market, give clarity to schools and protect blind students’ rights to

critical course material. The TEACH Act has been endorsed by 10 disability

groups and the Association of American Publishers, the lead trade

association for the U.S. Publishing industry.  Senators Elizabeth Warren

(D-MA) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced the Technology, Education and

Accessibility in College and Higher Education (TEACH) Act (S. 2060) on

February 27, 2014.

Equal Access to Air Travel for Service-Disabled Veterans (H.R. 164 and S.

346): The Space Available Program allows active-duty military, Red Cross

employees and retired members of the armed services to travel on military

aircraft if there is space available. These bills reverse the exclusion of

100 percent service-disabled veterans who were discharged before retirement

and entitle them to the program’s privileges. As of February 21, 2014, we

now have 210 co-sponsors on H.R. 164, and 18 co-sponsors on S. 346. We must

continue to build co-sponsor support for both the House and Senate versions

of the Space Available Bill to ensure that our language is included in this

year’s version of the National Defense Authorization Act.

The Air Carrier Technology Accessibility Act Amendments: Legislation is

needed to address the barriers to equal access created by inaccessible

technologies being deployed by air carriers, specifically in the areas of

mobile apps and inflight services. Just before the Washington Seminar, we

learned that Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa has introduced the Air Carrier

Accessibility Amendments Act, which calls on air carriers to ensure that the

mechanisms used to select inflight services are accessible to the blind, and

that audio description is included in in-flight entertainment. We believe

that this legislation should also include requirements to make mobile apps

accessible as well. We are working to get legislation introduced in the

House to accomplish this goal and with Senator Harkin's office to see if an

amendment related to app accessibility can be added to S. 556 at a later

time. We believe that Representative Takano of California will take the lead

on the House bill, and we are working with his office to find a Republican

member to join with his office in introducing the House companion bill.

Update on Dusty’s Law: Dusty’s Law was unanimously passed by the New Jersey

State Legislature on January 6, 2014 and signed into law by Governor Chris

Christie on January 21, 2014. An article written by New Jersey Association

of Guide Dog Users President Vincent Chaney also appears in this edition of

The Sounding Board.

I would like to thank all of you who have been making contacts when we need

action to be taken.  If you would like to be added to my e-mail list for

legislative updates, please send me your e-mail information. I can be

reached by telephone at 908-251-5510 or by e-mail at lhr1827 at optonline.net.

NFB RESPONDS TO PRESIDENT OBAMA’S FAIR WAGES FOR WORKERS

By Marc Maurer, President, National Federation of the Blind

Editor’s Note:  Marc Maurer sent the following letter to President Obama

2/3/2014:

In your January 28th State of the Union Address and via a conference call

with Vice President Biden and Secretary of Labor Perez on January 29, it was

announced that all contractors would be required by executive order to pay

their federally funded workers at least $10.10 an hour under any new

contracts. The NFB, the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind

Americans, urges you to include workers with disabilities in this executive

order, affirmatively and explicitly. We further urge you to announce that

you will sign the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act (H.R. 831) if

and when that legislation reaches your desk. With a Republican sponsor and

substantial Democratic co-sponsorship, this nonpartisan piece of legislation

will responsibly phase out the discriminatory practice of paying workers

with disabilities less than the minimum wage.

Our respect and prayers go out to Americans like Sergeant First Class Cory

Remsburg, who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom and

equality we seek to enjoy as American citizens. We are thankful that

Sergeant Remsburg is recovering from the wounds he suffered in service to

this great nation. But we must point out that his value to our society is

not a function of the restoration of his eyesight and ability to walk, but

of the simple fact that he is a human being with determination, belief in

himself, love for the United States and aspirations for his future. There

are millions of others who actively seek to serve this nation we love with

our unique talents and strengths, whether or not we can benefit from

technology or medical intervention that will mitigate or eliminate our

disabilities. Some of us may be blind in both eyes; others may not be able

to hear; some may be unable to walk; some may have developmental

disabilities that require innovative interventions; and still others may

have other disabilities that require them to perform everyday tasks a little

differently. We seek to have our different characteristics embraced as

respected contributions to our nation’s diversity, not as badges of

inferiority that condemn us to a life of low wages and low expectations. We

are no less valuable, we are no less capable, and we are no less American

than any other citizen.

We wholeheartedly agree with you when you say, “The America we want for our

kids – a rising America where honest work is plentiful and communities are

strong; where prosperity is widely shared and opportunity for all lets us go

as far as our dreams and toil will take us – none of it is easy. But if we

work together; if we summon what is best in us, the way Cory summoned what

is best in him, with our feet planted firmly in today but our eyes cast

towards tomorrow – I know it’s within our reach.” We believe that this

America includes people with disabilities, and we ask you to demonstrate

that you believe it as well.

DUSTY’S LAW ANNOUNCEMENT

By Vincent Chaney, President, New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users

The New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users, NJAGDU, the largest organized

group of guide dog users in New Jersey and a proud division of the National

Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, is honored to announce that Dusty’s

Law 2C:29-3.2 was signed by Governor Chris Christie on January 21, 2014.

The bill was passed unanimously by the Law and Public Safety Committees of

the NJ State Senate (5-0) and Assembly (11-0), and by both full houses of

the State Legislature: Senate (38-0) and Assembly (79-0).

The NJAGDU wishes to thank everyone who supported Dusty’s Law through this

advocacy movement. The positive reinforcement gained by asking family,

friends and contacts to get involved generated phone calls, e-mails and

letters to the NJ State Legislature that eventually resulted in the passage

of Dusty’s Law. Participating in this unified effort along with the NJAGDU

and the NFBNJ were Roger Woodhour (who was also attacked, along with Dusty),

the Seeing Eye, 4H, many guide dog users and a number of NJ communities.

While the legislation has been passed, our work on Dusty’s Law continues, as

our network of individuals now needs to publicize the law within their local

communities. Local police and animal control officers need to know about the

law in the areas where we live, work or frequently visit. An attack or

interference of a service animal or guide dog is now a criminal offense and

not just a matter for an animal control officer. We urge everyone to

communicate with others the dangers to the guide dog team when there is an

attack or interference. An altercation could affect both of the guide dog

team members and expose them to traffic or dangerous conditions which would

have been avoided if the guide dog team was not distracted or disoriented.

The NJAGDU, NFBNJ, Seeing Eye and advocates of this law are planning to

promote the new law through letters, pamphlets and visits to their local

media, newspapers, libraries, veterinarians, pet stores, animal shelters,

groomers, businesses, restaurants and stores which they patronize. We hope

all will continue to share the impact of Dusty’s Law with family, friends,

neighbors and co-workers.

Dusty’s Law (New Jersey state law 2C:29-3.2) may be viewed in its entirety

at:

lhttp://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgibin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=638865&Depth=2&de
pth=2&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statu
tes.nfo&record={1903}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

ATLANTIC CAPE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISCRIMINATES AGAINST BLIND STUDENT,

BANS HIM FROM FREELY ACCESSING CAMPUS

Federation Members to Protest College’s Actions

By Chris Danielsen, NFB Director of Public Relations

Members of the National Federation of the Blind, the nation’s oldest and

largest organization of blind people, and its New Jersey affiliate held a

protest at the Mays Landing campus of Atlantic Cape Community College (ACCC)

on Thursday, April 17. Blind people from New Jersey and surrounding areas

gathered to protest discrimination by Atlantic Cape Community College

against Anthony Lanzilotti, a blind student studying criminal justice and

cyber security there. Mr. Lanzilotti has been denied even the most basic

accommodations and at times has not been allowed on campus or to use campus

facilities unless he is accompanied by a sighted person. He has also been

prohibited from using campus laboratories because ACCC claims that this

violates the fire code. ACCC has also refused to procure or create

accessible copies of Mr. Lanzilotti’s textbooks and course materials, a

service routinely provided to blind students by other colleges and

universities. If he wants his print textbooks to be scanned and converted to

electronic files that can be read aloud by text-to-speech software or on a

Braille display, he must do the scanning himself, and he cannot use campus

facilities to do so unless he meets the requirement of having a sighted

person with him. Mr. Lanzilotti is planning to file suit against the

college.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:

“Blind students sometimes face challenges in the college setting, including

lack of access to textbooks and course materials, but the vast majority of

institutions of higher education make at least some effort to accommodate

these students. Atlantic Cape Community College has not only refused to make

the minimum effort to accommodate Mr. Lanzilotti, but has added insult to

injury by segregating him from his fellow students and restricting his

access to the campus and its facilities. Mr. Lanzilotti is not a child and

does not need a chaperone. The National Federation of the Blind intends to

make ACCC’s outrageous discrimination against Mr. Lanzilotti known to the

public and to do everything else in our power to assist him in fighting this

discrimination. The laws of the United States and the State of New Jersey

are firmly on Mr. Lanzilotti’s side, and we will see that they are

 followed.”

THE PAC PLAN – THE LATEST AND GREATEST

By Ryan Stevens

Greetings once again to my fellow Federationists throughout the New Jersey

Affiliate! This is your friendly neighborhood PAC Plan chairman, and this is

my latest update on how we’re doing with our contributions to this very

important program.

As most of you know, PAC stands for Pre-Authorized Contribution, and the

plan is an easy way for NFB members to make regular donations to our

organization.  It’s easy because it’s a one-time process to sign up, and
it’s

easy on the wallet because you can contribute as little as $5 a month.  It’s

important because it helps fund the programs and activities that are so

vital to the success of blind people, such as scholarships that help blind

college students obtain the knowledge and skills they need to become

employed, taxpaying members of their communities.  PAC also helps fund our

work to eliminate the barriers faced by blind people which prevent them from

keeping pace with their sighted peers, in their everyday lives from school

to work to shopping.

In terms of our ranking among the states, since November, we’ve gone from

30th to 26th.  We now give $393.50 per month from 27 contributors.  I wish

to thank the members and chapters who have helped us get to this level;

however, we can definitely do more. It would be fantastic if NFBNJ was

putting $500 every month into PAC, and it’s not as difficult as it seems.

If we got 23 new contributors at the minimum $5 level, we’d be over the top,

and we’d nearly double the number of donors.  With eight chapters and eight

divisions, we need only one or two people from each to get there.  I’m

asking the chapter and division presidents to make PAC a regular topic at

your meetings, and I’m encouraging individual members to invite their

friends and family members to sign up.

Here’s how easy that process is: If you have a checking account, you can

sign up with PAC.  Signing up involves nothing more than filling out a short

form with the following information: Your name and address, your bank’s

name, the routing and account numbers of your checking account, how much you

wish to contribute each month, and which day of the month you want the money

withdrawn.  If you have paper checks, the routing and account numbers appear

on them at the bottom.  You can also get your account number from your

monthly statement and the routing number by calling your bank.  If you would

like a PAC Plan form, simply request one from your chapter or division

president, or you can e-mail me at rysteve at comcast.net. After NFB processes

the form, your contribution will be automatically taken from your account

each month, and you don’t need to do anything else.

Making these regular tax-deductible contributions would show how important

the National Federation of the Blind is to you, and would demonstrate how

proud an affiliate New Jersey is, so as the song says, please
 get on the

PAC Plan.  Sign up today!

WHY USE THE WORD “BLIND”?

By James H. Omvig

Editor’s Note: This article first appeared in the January 2008 newsletter of

the NFB of California. We’re printing a condensed version. Jim worked first

as a lawyer and later with Dr. Kenneth Jernigan at the Iowa Commission for

the Blind. He also headed the blindness rehabilitation program in Alaska and

published several books. Read the entire article at

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm09/bm0901/bm090107.htm

People who cannot see are blind, and the word “blind” is perfectly

acceptable – in fact, it’s absolutely essential – when one is referring to

the lack of eyesight.  Here is the short answer for why Dr. Jernigan taught

us to do what we do.

Federationists have long recognized that to understand blindness correctly

and to know how to properly educate or rehabilitate blind people, one must

be aware of the fact that blind people as a class are a minority in every

negative sense of that term. It is the erroneous and negative public

attitude about blindness that is the real problem with which we must deal.

>From infancy, we have been taught that to be blind is to be helpless,

incompetent and inferior. Members of the general public have believed it,

and most of us have come to believe it, too. In time, blindness

professionals also bought into the erroneous stereotyping and the low

expectations that accompany feelings of inferiority.

We must change those erroneous public attitudes – the myths, misconceptions

and superstitions – first, of course, in ourselves and then in the broader

society.

We also understand fully that these very negative and mistaken attitudes

have found their way into the educational and vocational rehabilitation

systems. These very mistaken beliefs about blindness drive the

professionals' efforts to get their customers to deny their blindness at any

price. These mistaken beliefs must be eliminated as a key component of any

high-quality education or rehabilitation program for the blind.

Finally, Federationists have come to know the fundamental truth that blind

people are nothing more than normal people who cannot see, and that if we

receive effective training, we can participate fully in society and compete

on terms of absolute equality with our sighted colleagues. We have also

learned that for any blind person truly to become empowered and free, a

process of what is commonly called “adjustment to blindness” is essential.

Learning to use the word “blind” with ease and comfort and accepting

blindness as a normal fact of life is a significant ingredient in the

process, as it is commonly understood that you cannot change what you are

not willing to acknowledge.

This brings us back to the ultimate truth. If you are blind, you are blind.

Accept it. Admit it. The very first step in this process is to learn to be

able to say, with neither shame nor embarrassment, “I am blind.” Like other

minorities, we have a job to do: We must learn to accept our blindness and

then work with concerted action to make it respectable to be blind.

ONE DREAM, ONE CHANCE, AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUCCEED

By Jessica Scannell

Editor’s Note: Jessica, a former LEAD student, graduated from Montclair

State University with a degree in family and child studies, and a K-5

teaching certificate, and a 3.631 GPA. She was on the Dean’s List every

semester. After nine months at the Louisiana Center for the Blind, Jessica

is back in New Jersey. She currently serves as secretary of the NFBNJ’s

Northeast Chapter.

In every person's life, opportunity comes knocking. It’s up to you whether

or not you choose to reach out and see what this opportunity will offer you,

or just let it slip away. I was blessed by the wonderful fortune of being

able to be a student at the Louisiana Center for the Blind from March to

December, 2013. It took me a long time to fulfill my dream. However, with

hard work, networking and determination, I decided I was going to do

whatever I could to make my dream possible. Once I was accepted and arrived

at this wonderful place, I knew I would do everything in my power to make my

dream of total independence a reality. I’m grateful for the support of my

friends at the New Jersey CBVI, the NFBNJ and the NFB in making this

adventure a reality.

When I was exploring my options, I realized LCB was the right choice from

the moment my family and I walked into the Center. My parents were

comfortable knowing I would be receiving the best training there, and I was

happy knowing I would never really be leaving home. I knew from that moment

on, LCB would be my new home and family for the next year of my life.

While I was a student at LCB, there were many skills I learned both inside

and outside of the classroom. I became much more confident using my long

white cane to get around the town of Ruston. A great time for me to apply my

mobility skills occurred when I walked the one mile there and one mile back

to my apartment each day. I also had the opportunity to hone my skills when

my friends and I took cabs to go shopping or when we walked to a new

restaurant or our favorite bakery. I became adept  at budgeting my money as

time passed, and  learned how to use it  wisely so I could go shopping for

the things I needed and still have money left over to use with my friends

when we wanted to go out and have some fun on the weekends.  I learned how

to use Microsoft Word and became very efficient at finishing my assignments

and getting them in on time.  In the past, I hesitated to ask questions of

my professors, but as time went on, I started asking questions which

unlocked another key to success in my current projects and brought me

another step closer to attaining complete independence.

Woodshop was one of the first classes where I truly learned the meaning of

the word confidence. Each day I was presented with a task, and I learned how

to become more comfortable using tools and how to break things down step by

step, thereby making the tasks easier. I quickly learned it was not about

how fast I completed a project; it was more about the time I put into it and

the pride I felt having completed it.

LCB didn’t allow me to shy away from things that frightened me because I was

blind. Instead, the staff took me and my classmates on fun trips that not

only allowed me to face my fears, but also gave me the opportunity to

conquer them head on. Because of this new independence, I forgot about being

scared and focused all my attention on having a good time with my friends.

As I participated in each new activity – horseback riding, rock climbing,

white water rafting, zip lining – I began to realize I could accomplish

things that I never thought I could do, and I loved every minute of it.

I had the pleasure of living with two roommates with whom I am still friends

today, and I lived by myself for a while as well. I realized I like my

space, but having a friend to talk to, go shopping with, and clean my room

with is a nice bonus.

Before I graduated, I had to complete several projects including preparing

meals for the staff and students, doing a PowerPoint presentation and doing

my “out of town” route. Once all my projects were completed, I began to look

forward to graduation day. It was nostalgic for me to realize I would be

leaving a place and many people who had come to mean so much to me in the

past nine months. On my graduation day, I received my Freedom Bell on which

is pictured an eagle on the middle of a bell. The wings of the eagle signify

independence and a new chapter in every graduate's life. On the bottom of

the bell, the inscription reads, “Together we are changing what it means to

be blind.” I was sad to leave all my friends behind, but I realized we would

never be parted. I felt so much joy and pride that day because by receiving

that bell, I knew I had the keys to achieve success in any career I chose,

and would be living a wonderful and fulfilling life in any place fate

decided to take me.

While attending LCB I had the greatest role models in Pam and Rowland Allen.

Pam is the executive director of the Center, and her husband Rowland was my

mobility instructor. They were my second parents while I was there, and not

a day goes by that I don’t thank them for all the wonderful values and

skills they instilled in me. I am also grateful to them for allowing me to

share their world with them. I am so happy that I decided to attend the

Louisiana Center for the Blind. It is one of the best decisions I’ve ever

made in my life.

IT’S TIME FOR CHANGE!

BRAILLE LITERACY EDUCATION REVISITED

By Amy Albin

Editor’s Note:  Amy Albin, Morris Plains, is a freshman at Morristown High

School. She attended the BISM Independence 101 program in Baltimore in 2013.

While attending BISM, she became aware of the lack of Braille literacy in

this country.  In this article, she shares the speech that she wrote for a

school assignment and recited at two school tournaments concerning the need

to advocate for Braille literacy.

According to a report called The Braille Literacy Crisis in America,

published by the National Federation of the Blind in 2009, only 10 percent

of blind children in the U.S. are taught to read and write Braille. In an

article entitled Making Change with a Dollar, Dan Frye, former editor of the

Braille Monitor and currently executive director of the New Jersey

Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired, states that “by comparison,

at the height of its use in the 1950s, more than half of the nation’s

children were learning Braille.” Many students and parents find themselves

battling with school districts to obtain the Braille instruction to which

they are entitled. The reduction in the number of children learning Braille

is due to a number of factors that include a shortage of teachers, an

emphasis on vision and technology, and a myriad of misconceptions

surrounding Braille.

Statistics from the report say that "in 2003 there were approximately 6,700

full-time teachers of blind students serving about 93,600 students,” or one

teacher for every 14 students.  Since the most effective way to teach

Braille to a blind student is on a 1:1 basis several times per week, the

1:14 ratio of teachers to students is not acceptable.  In addition, many

teachers of the blind are not comfortable with the code themselves.

Another problem is the emphasis on technology. Although technology provides

children with new ways of communicating, it does not enable them to learn

the basic, fundamental elements of spelling and grammar because they are not

actually writing and reading each word. However, if these children learn

Braille, they can use computers with Braille displays which, along with

speech, will enhance their learning. In a telephone conversation with Joseph

Ruffalo, president of the NFB of New Jersey, I learned about a blind man who

has a doctorate degree. He is clearly very intelligent, however, since this

man has never learned Braille and has never read or written anything, he

could not pass a fourth grade spelling test! Technology is an extraordinary

tool that enhances communication, but it cannot replace true literacy.

Instead of using screen readers, blind people can use computers with

displays that produce Braille so that they can read and write independently.

Finally, there are many misconceptions about Braille. People say it isolates

children from their peers, it's too difficult to learn, and it's always

slower than print.  The first point is utterly ridiculous and unfounded.

Blind people who can read and write are on equal terms with their peers

because they are literate and independent.  Second, Braille is rather

challenging to learn, but, like print, it is completely doable if you begin

at an early age. I began learning when I was four, and I've now been reading

fluently for many years.  Besides, print is also challenging for young

sighted children to learn, which is why they need to be continually drilled

with the alphabet.  Third, while Braille is somewhat slower than print in

some cases, people can teach themselves to read very quickly.  One Braille

reader actually took a class in speed reading, and it was not a class

specifically for blind people.

There is no valid reason to deprive the blind of the right to literacy.

Blind people who can read and write Braille put themselves on equal terms

with their peers because they are literate and independent. Statistics

indicate that 85 percent of blind people who become gainfully employed know

how to read Braille.

Since literacy is key to a proper education, concerted action must be taken

to assure that every blind person who needs Braille instruction receives the

amount that he or she requires. According to the Braille Literacy Crisis

report, the NFB strives to have a law passed by 2015 requiring all teachers

of the visually impaired throughout the nation to pass a national

certification test, which confirms that they are proficient with the

literary Braille code. Literacy advocates like myself hope that this law and

other incentives will ensure that Braille teachers have the knowledge and

skill to give their students proper Braille instruction. The NFB proposed a

Braille literacy bill, which serves to make sure that each blind child will

have appropriate Braille instruction and will be able to utilize it

according to his or her needs. Thirty-three states have formally adopted

such bills. There are a number of ways you, too, can help end the Braille

literacy crisis. If you are interested in working with children, learn

Braille and become a mentor to them. Spread the word and make your opinions

known to local government officials. Tell them that you heard a speech from

a blind person who was fortunate enough to be among the 10 percent of all

blind children in the U.S. who was lucky enough to learn to read. I

shouldn't have to be lucky. Every capable human being is entitled to

literacy. Do we really need a report to tell us that such a low literacy

rate is unacceptable? If we want a nation and a world where everyone,

including the blind, has the opportunity to be literate and to live up to

his or her full potential, we must act now.

It's time for change!

BELL PROGRAM: BRAILLE ENRICHMENT THROUGH LITERACY & LEARNING

Program to Start Summer 2014 at PRAHD in Perth Amboy

By Mary Jo Partyka

Editor’s Note:  Several articles in this issue point to the need and

importance for children to learn Braille.  This year, our state affiliate is

taking a leap by initiating its first BELL program. The coordinators of this

program are Holly Miller, president of Parents of Blind Children-NJ, and

Mary Jo Partyka, president of the NJ Association to Promote the Use of

Braille. Barbara Shalit, who has worked with the NJ Commission for the Blind

for many years, will plan the curriculum and serve as head teacher. Jerilyn

Higgins, a certified rehabilitation teacher, will teach daily living skills.

“This place is terrific! The kids are going to love it,” enthused Holly

Miller, as we finished our tour of the Puerto Rican Association for Human

Development (PRAHD), the site for New Jersey’s first BELL – Braille

Enrichment through Literacy and Learning – program. The program is designed

to provide intensive Braille instruction to blind/low vision children during

the summer. The first BELL programs took place in Maryland and Georgia in

2009. By 2013, 19 states sponsored BELL programs.

According to the 2014 BELL curriculum, the goal of the program is to

“provide children ages 4-13 with two weeks of concentrated instruction in

Braille and nonvisual learning through hands-on activities.”  In addition to

Braille, children will also learn daily living skills, which will help them

learn ways to do things that sighted people take for granted, such as

distinguishing among different types of currency, pouring liquids, telling

time and preparing snacks.  In addition to these activities, the children

will be taken on local field trips where they can “let their hair down” and

have fun.  Inherent in the lessons is the NFB philosophy which professes

that blind children can do anything sighted children can through the use of

alternative techniques. The majority of BELL staff and volunteers are blind

and will serve as role models for the students.

The program will be held at the PRAHD located at 100 First Street in Perth

Amboy, July 21 - August 1, 2014.  There is no cost to attend the program but

parents will be required to transport their children to and from the

facility. The program will provide the children with snacks and lunch on

Fridays.  Children will be expected to bring their lunches Monday through

Thursday.

For more information or to sign up for New Jersey’s BELL program, please

visit

https://nfb.org/bell-program. To donate to BELL, please send your

tax-deductible contribution payable to NFBNJ (please write BELL program in

the memo), 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ  07003.

PRAHD PROUD TO HOST BELL PROGRAM

By Yvonne Lopez

On Behalf of the Puerto Rican Association for Human Development, Inc., I

would like to express my excitement in working with the BELL program this

summer. PRAHD will serve as the host-site location for the BELL students,

and the agency as a whole is looking forward to working with such a

worthwhile program and cause. As part of this new partnership, I would like

to provide a brief overview of PRAHD and its programs.

PRAHD was founded in 1974 by a group of community activists and leaders

seeking to create a non-profit organization that would support individuals

in need. Over the past 40 years, PRAHD has evolved and grown into a premiere

provider of comprehensive human services throughout Middlesex County and the

State of New Jersey. Currently the agency operates in Middlesex, Union,

Ocean, Hudson and Bergen counties and serves approximately 17,000 clients

annually. PRAHD boasts a wide array of programming that targets education,

youth development, preventative health services, respite care, affordable

housing, benefits access, senior services and disaster relief.

PRAHD is dedicated to “developing human potential and promoting

self-sufficiency through programs designed to improve the social, economic,

health and education status of the community in a culturally sensitive

environment.” Agency programming addresses the full spectrum of unmet human

services needs with the principle goal of developing individual

sustainability and self-sufficiency. Clients of the agency’s programs are

predominantly represented by the minority population and low- to

moderate-income community. Due to the agency’s excellence in operations and

programming, PRAHD has developed a stellar reputation throughout the

community and has earned the support of corporations, private foundations

and government bodies on all levels. PRAHD’s agency vision is to “empower

the individual to reach their highest potential and participate meaningfully

in their community.”

NFB FREE SLATE & STYLUS PROGRAM

Do you need a new slate and stylus?  Are you learning Braille and need to

practice writing?  Are your old labels looking a little shabby?  We have the

answer!

The NFB has started a new program whereby you can receive a free 4-line,

28-cell, Whozit metal slate and a round plastic stylus.  The slate and

stylus is the only device you can fit into your pocket/purse to take down

notes, phone numbers, and the names of people you meet as readily as a

person using a pen and paper.  We believe Braille is vital to all blind

individuals and should be available in every facet of a blind person’s life.

If you have questions, please e-mail us at nfb at nfb.org. You can order your

free slate by visiting https://nfb.org/free-slate-program.

CALLING ALL BRAILLE READERS, TEACHERS & PARENTS:

IT’S TIME FOR THE BRAILLE BOOK FAIR 2014!

It’s that time again to sort through your Braille books and donate those

gently used volumes to the 2014 Braille Book Fair sponsored by the National

Organization of Parents of Blind Children. This year's coordinator is

Krystal Guillory.  This event will take place on Thursday, July 1, from 5-7

p.m. Our primary goal is to get more Braille books into the hands of

children, youth and beginning adult readers.  The top picks are

print-Braille picture storybooks, cookbooks and poetry books.  Every year,

despite generous donations, most of our books for young children are gone in

less than 20 minutes.  So, please search through the boxes in your basement

and spare room and send your books via UPS to: Elainna Moore - Area HR

Manager, c/o 2014 NFB Convention Braille Book Fair, 8901 Atlantic Ave,

Orlando, FL 32824. For more info, please contact Krystal Guillory at

1-318-245-8955 or kguillory at lcb-ruston.com.

GREENDROP PROGRAM

After this long winter, spring is finally here – a time to clean up and do

new things! If you have some gently used household items for which you’d

like to find a new home, you may be interested in donating them to the

GreenDrop Program. NFB has partnered with GreenDrop in Pennsylvania, New

Jersey, Maryland, New York, Virginia, Delaware and the District of Columbia

to collect clothing and household donations. The items will be sold to

thrift shops, with profits going towards programs at NFB.

In New Jersey, GreenDrop is available in the following counties: Bergen,

Burlington, Essex, Gloucester, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Sussex and

Union.  GreenDrop will be making phone calls, sending e-mails and sending

mailings requesting donations to homes in the areas they serve. GreenDrop

personnel are also working hard to expand both the locations for future

sites and the areas where GreenDrop trucks will do pickups at homes.

The following items will be accepted as donations: clothing and shoes,

household items, children’s games and toys, small appliances, electronics,

sporting goods, small furniture, and books, CDs and videos. To review the

entire list of products that can be donated, please visit our state website

at www.nfbnj.org. All proceeds from the donation of these products will

assist the National Center for the Blind in its projects and programs which

will benefit the entire blind population of the United States.

The number to call for information or GreenDrop pickups is 888-610-4632.

NATIONAL HEARING TEST OFFERED FREE IN MAY

May is Better Hearing and Speech Month, and this May, a free hearing

screening is being offered by telephone. This screening will help you to

determine if you need to go for a complete hearing evaluation. The screening

is made possible by a grant from NIH/NIDCD.

This convenient, private and clinically valid screening test can be taken in

the comfort of your home simply by calling 1-866-223-7575 and following the

instructions.  Left and right ears are tested and the results are given at

the end of the call (for example, “within normal range” or “slightly below

the normal range”). PLEASE pass this information on as widely as possible

and take the test. Information about the test is available at the National

Hearing Test website:  https://nationalhearingtest.org/

ICANCONNECT PROVIDES COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY

FOR THOSE WITH COMBINED VISION AND HEARING LOSS

By Kathy Gabry

Communication is essential for staying healthy, holding a job, managing a

household and participating in the community. Modern technology allows most

people to communicate through phones and computers, but for people who have

a combined vision and hearing loss, special equipment may be necessary to

make a phone call, send an e-mail, text or access the Internet. The

iCanConnect/NJ program ensures that individuals who have a combined hearing

and vision loss and who meet income criteria can access telephone, advanced

communications and information services.

A wide range of communications technology—hardware, software,

applications—is available to suit the varying needs of those who have a

combined hearing and vision loss. Some products are available to the general

public, such as telephones or computers, while others include specialized

equipment, such as screen enlargement software, screen readers or braille

displays. A program specialist can help you identify equipment that will

meet your needs, and training is available once your new equipment arrives.

The iCanConnect program is sponsored by the Federal Communications

Commission and is available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia,

Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In New Jersey, the program is

provided through a partnership between the New Jersey Commission for the

Blind & Visually Impaired and the Center for Sensory & Complex Disabilities

at The College of New Jersey. To learn more about eligibility requirements

for iCanConnect and download an application, go to

http://www.icanconnect.org/new-jersey or call 609-771-2711.

TECHIE TIPS

•    NEED YOUR BRAILLEWRITER REPAIRED?  For more information, call Mr.

Robert Simon at 915-307-7733.

•    WINDOW-EYES is now free to people who have Office 2010 or higher

installed on their PC. Window-Eyes is a screen-reading software similar to

JAWS, and it functions fully in all PC environments including the desktop,

on the web and in all the MS Office products. The retail version of

Window-Eyes and other GWMicro products are still available, as there are

some differences between the level of tech support and training materials

that come with the free version, but it is the same screen reader. You can

read more at:www.gwmicro.com or download the program at

www.windowEyesForOffice.com Submitted by Omar Atin.

•    THREE EXCELLENT RESOURCES FOR i DEVICES – First is

http://www.applevis.com.  There you will find podcasts concerning apps,

lists of apps in different areas of interest and information for other

i-device users than those with the iPhone. Another resource which is

especially good for those just starting to use their i-device is the book

Getting Started with the iPhone by Anna Dresner, available from the National

Braille Press in Boston. The book is available in several different formats

for everything from your iPhone to your computer to that daisy player you

have. It’s also available in Braille. Finally, I found this link

enlightening: How blind people use an iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIQWyp13beE&feature=youtu.be Submitted by

Jane Degenshein

•    SIRI LINKS - Here is a link to a list of questions you can ask Siri.

Although this appears to be a full list, the number of things you can ask

Siri is only limited by your imagination or need:

http://techblog.tv/full-list-of-siri-commands-how-to-use-siri/

•    SIRI LAUGHS - For those of you who like to laugh, here are  95 Funny

Siri Commands:   http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/29/funny-siri-commands/

•    IPHONE VOICE OVER GUIDE IN HTML FORMAT – Here is the voiceover guide

for the iPhone in handy HTML format:

http://help.apple.com/iphone/5/voiceover/en/iph3e2e4218.html

DID YOU KNOW

Blind Veterans – NFB is reaching out to blind veterans across the country.

If you know any blind veterans who could benefit from our programs, please

contact Joanne Wilson at jwilson at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2335.

Changes in Social Security Procedures – Beginning in August 2014, Social

Security Number Printouts will no longer be issued through the Social

Security field offices. If you lose your card, you’ll need to apply for a

replacement. In addition, beginning October 2014, Social Security field

offices will stop providing benefit verification letters, except in

emergency situations. Benefit verifications are available online at

www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount, or by calling 1-800-772-1213.

Finding Accessible Transportation - Easter Seals Project ACTION offers

resources to assist travelers with disabilities in finding accessible

transportation services within the U.S. and abroad. Visit the website at

http://www.projectaction.org/Resources

Publications/FindingAccessibleTransportation.aspx   Submitted by Trisha Ebel

The Federal Department of Transportation’s Rules for Passengers with

Disabilities can be found at http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/disability. This

site has various DOT rules in different formats that you can download or

call DOT at 202-366-2220 to request a copy.  Submitted by Alice Eaddy

Complaints & Grievances for People with Low Vision – For those who have low

vision and are looking for a place for resources and a place to comment

about technology, check out the following website:

http://lowvisionrants.com/

The Middle Atlantic Blind Golf Association (MABGA) is a non-profit

organization that has been providing blind and visually impaired individuals

the opportunity to enjoy the game of golf since 1948. MABGA currently has

over 120 totally blind/visually impaired golfers and coaches, with another

85 junior blind golfers. A blind golfer is paired with a sighted golfer

known as a coach. MABGA members participate in approximately 40 golf outings

each year. In August, MABGA holds its annual Pro Am Tournament where blind

golfers are partnered with local PGA professionals. In September, MABGA

holds its Annual Fund Raising Charity Tournament. To learn more, visit

www.mabga.org or contact Mario Tobia at mariotobia at comcast.net or

856-866-2911. Submitted by Brian Mackey.

How to File ADA Complaints – Employment complaints should be filed with the

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: 1-800-669-4000 Voice or

1-800-669-6820 TTY. Complaints against a state or local government or public

accommodation or commercial facility (such as a restaurant, doctor’s office,

hotel) should be filed with the Department of Justice/Civil Rights Division,

950 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Disability Rights Section – NYAV, Washington, DC

20530, or ADA.complaint at usdoj.gov or by fax at 202-307-1197

Mackey Enterprises LLC is a data entry and basic bookkeeping company. If you

have data entry projects involving Microsoft Word or Excel, or any basic

bookkeeping projects using Microsoft Excel or QuickBooks that you want

someone else to do, turn to Mackey Enterprises LLC. Our typical hourly rate

is $20/hour, but this can be negotiable. To learn more, contact Brian Mackey

at 609-953-6988 or bmackey88 at gmail.com.

Donate Your Vehicle – The NFB gets an average of $350 for each donated

vehicle, and the proceeds support the National Center in carrying out

programs and projects to benefit the blind. Your donation may be eligible

for a tax deduction. For more information, visit www.carshelpingtheblind.org

or call 855-659-9314. If you’d like to help advertise the program by placing

stickers in prominent places, please contact Anthony Lanzilotti at

267-414-4010 or tti777 at gmail.com.

The Senior Community Independent Living Services program supports seniors

(age 55 and up) with vision impairment in achieving independence and

participation in social, educational, recreational and employment

activities. Companion services are available up to four hours per week.

Companions provide transportation, assist with grocery shopping, perform

light housekeeping, read mail and transport to recreational opportunities

such as the beauty salon or a senior center. Participants are responsible

for finding their own companions. For more information, contact the NJ

Division of Disability Services at 888-285-3036, prompt #6.

Prescription Information: CVS Pharmacy now provides ScripTalk talking

prescription labels for prescriptions ordered for home delivery through its

online pharmacy, CVS.com. ScripTalk labels are free to CVS.com pharmacy

customers who are blind or have low vision. To request that the labels be

attached to your prescriptions ordered through CVS.com, call 888-227-3403.

To obtain your free ScripTalk reader, call Envision America at 800-890-1180.

It is recommended that you call CVS.com first.

Facebook Group for Blind Students - Pathway to Our Dream is a Facebook

resource page for high school and college students who are blind.  The

administrators answer questions, help students research testing

requirements, offer advice on how to secure accommodations from their

schools, refer students to other resources including the NFB and its student

divisions, and help with resume editing.  The link for the mobile version

(optimal for screen readers) is

https://m.facebook.com/groups/639707646049109?refid=18 Submitted by Katie

Shelton

NFB’s Senior Division Conference Calls spotlight topics of interest to those

losing vision later in life. The conference call number is 712-432-1500, the

access number is 759-633, and then press the pound key.  Upcoming calls are

set for Wednesdays, May 8 and June 4, at 3 p.m. The May topic is Blindness:

A Family Dynamic, hosted by Fatos Floyd, and the June topic is Cooking by

Touch, facilitated by Jennifer Wenzel.

NFBNJ MEMBER RECOGNITION

Editor’s Note: Please share your story – or your friend’s story – of

success! When one person achieves, others are inspired to succeed.

Congratulations to Kevin Sisco, who writes: Some time ago I designed an

encryption algorithm.  Simply put, this is technology for securing anything

electronic, including the internet.  It was published!  The National

Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) published this technology, and

it is in use.  Shortly after, I was able to get a second one published.  I

felt so inspired that I created a third, and that one, too, was published!

Now, the first of the three I am not quite clear on how it is being

utilized.  However, I know that the second one is being used to secure

connectivity to the web.  The third, which I am most proud of, is being used

as a layer of security for the power grid!  I write all of this, not to

brag, but to demonstrate that blindness does not have to be a major

obstacle.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Editor’s Note: The following letter was received from Joe and Arlene Naulty,

the NFB of Florida:

Wow! We’re so impressed and blown away by this professional and beautifully

prepared publication of the NFBNJ!  Your activities, your staff, the support

from members across the state and the general positive tone of the

publication are amazing.

Joe Ruffalo, when we met you 30 years ago, we were very impressed with your

personal presentation and the interest you showed in Joe Naulty who was very

new to the life of increased vision loss. Then we moved to Florida in 1985.

It took some time, but Joe did get involved with the NFB in Florida.

Your appointment of Alice Eaddy to the DeafBlind Committee was a gift of the

highest value.  She is a leader and a strong supporter of the DeafBlind, and

we look forward to her increased involvement in the DeafBlind Division.

Alice knows that information is power; when we share information, we all get

stronger.

Thank you for your support of the DeafBlind Division and thank you for your

leadership.   It is indeed an honor to have known you all these years.  Be

well.  May God bless you with good health and the strength to carry on your

mission with the National Federation of the Blind.

FROM THE KITCHEN OF THE CAPITAL CHAPTER

The recipes for this issue were submitted by members of the Capital Chapter.

Tangy Chicken

This recipe was submitted by Susan Constantini, a board member of the

Capital Chapter member.  Susan is an expert at using the iPhone and enjoys

shopping and buying nice things.

Ingredients:

1 pound thin chicken breasts

1 can whole cranberry sauce

An envelope of onion soup mix

A bottle of Russian salad dressing

Directions:

1.    Mix together: cranberry sauce, Russian dressing and the envelope of

onion soup mix.  Pour over chicken.

2.    Cook chicken mixture at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes and

serve.

Crème Brulee

This recipe was submitted by Ben Constantini, vice president of the Capital

Chapter and webmaster of our Facebook page.  Ben enjoys cooking and this

recipe is delicious.

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy cream

5 egg yolks

½ cup sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

½ cup light brown sugar

Directions:

1.    Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

2.    Whisk the cream, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract together in a

bowl.  Mix it all up until it gets nice and creamy.  Pour this mixture into

four 7-ounce ramekins.  Place ramekins in a large baking pan.  Fill the

baking pan with hot water, about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

3.    Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  After 45 minutes, check every 10

minutes:  Stick knife in the ramekins, and if it comes out clean, the

dessert is done.

4.    Remove ramekins from the baking pan, set on the counter and let cool

for 15 minutes.  Refrigerate and chill overnight.

5.    Sprinkle a thin layer of the light brown sugar on top of each ramekin.

Completely cover the custard.  Put the ramekins under the broiler on the top

shelf for 1 to 2 minutes to melt the sugar. Serve and enjoy!

NFBNJ CONTACT INFORMATION

NFB National Center

    President

    Marc Maurer    410-659-9314

NFB State Affiliate

    President

        Joseph Ruffalo    973-743-0075

    First Vice President

        Jerilyn Higgins    973-239-8874

    Second Vice President

        Mary Jo Partyka    609-888-5459

    Secretary

        Brian Mackey    609-953-6988

    Treasurer

        Tom Ferry    973-694-5922

    Board Members

        Linda DeBerardinis    856-764-7014

        Alice Eaddy    856-765-0601

        Dan Facchini    201-906-8655

        Rebecca Irvin-Bryant    973-732-6559

        Anthony Lanzilotti    267-414-4010

        Lynn Reynolds    908-251-5510

NFBNJ Chapters

At-Large Chapter

    Conference call the last Thurs. of

    each month, 8 p.m., except in July

        712-432-0180, enter code 460994

    Joe Ruffalo    973-743-0075

Capital Chapter

Third Sat., Hamilton Twp Public Library, 10 a.m. - noon

Mary Jo Partyka    609-888-5459

   choirnfb at gmail.com

Central Jersey Chapter

Second Sat., Grace Lutheran Church, Perth Amboy, 9:30 a.m. - noon

Jerilyn Higgins    973-239-8874

    jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Garden State Chapter

Third Sat., Kennedy Memorial Hospital

auditorium, Cherry Hill, 10 a.m.

    Ed Godfrey    856-848-6372

        egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Glasstown Chapter

First Sat., Trinity Episcopal Church, 800 E. Wood St., Vineland    11 a.m.

Lydia Keller    856-696-3518

    lydiakeller at comcast.net

Northeast Chapter

Third Sat., St. Mathew’s Church, Secaucus, 10 a.m. coffee, meeting at 11

a.m.    www.ThruOurEyes.org

    Dan Facchini    201-906-8655

        danfb at verizon.net

Northern Chapter

Third Sat., Free Public Library, 3rd Floor, Newark, 10 a.m. - noon

    Rebecca Bryant    973-723-6559

        rirvin14 at optonline.net

South Jersey Shore Chapter

Third Sat., Ocean City Free Public Library, Ocean City, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Anthony Lanzilotti    267-414-4010

    Tti777 at gmail.com

NFB of NJ Divisions

Association of Blind Merchants

    Dan Facchini    201-906-8655

        danfb at verizon.net

Association of Blind Students

Shafeka Hashash    551-697-1568

    shafekah at gmail.com

Association of Guide Dog Users

Vincent Chaney    732-251-8650

    vgc732 at optonline.net

Association of Senior Blind

    Jane Degenshein    973-736-5785

        Jdegen16 at outlook.com

Braille Division

Mary Jo Partyka    609-888-5459

choirnfb at gmail.com

Diabetes Division

    Vincent Chaney    732-251-8650

        vgc732 at optonline.net

Parents of Blind Children

    Holly Miller    732-542-3633

        pobcnj at gmail.com

Technology Division

    Jane Degenshein    973-736-5785

        Jdegen16 at outlook.com

Programs, Projects & Committees

Adopt Adaptive Equipment

    Lynn Reynolds    908-251-5510

        lhr1827 at optonline.net

    Ed Godfrey    856-848-6372

        egodfrey137 at comcast.net

BELL Program

    Mary Jo Partyka    609-888-5459

        choirnfb at gmail.com

Holly Miller    732-610-5478

        pobcnj at gmail.com

Blind Children’s Resource Center

    Carol Castellano    973-377-0976

        www.blindchildren.org

        blindchildren at verizon.net

Braille Mentoring Program

    Sue Tillett    609-924-7489

        suetillett at verizon.net

    Mary Jo Partyka    609-888-5459

        choirnfb at gmail.com

Building Chapters & Membership

    Rick Fox    973-743-6107

        richardfox1 at comcast.net

DeafBlind Committee

    Alice Eaddy    856-765-0601

        aseanj at netzero.net

Legislative Coordinator

    Lynn Reynolds     908-251-5510

        lhr1827 at optonline.net

NFB Newsline

Jerilyn Higgins    973-239-8874

    jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Press Core Committee

    Tara Carty    973-650-4438

        sugarfreet at gmail.com

Scholarship

    Jerilyn Higgins    973-239-8874

        jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Thru Our Eyes/Internet Radio

Lenny Azzarone    888-572-0141

    www.ThruOurEyes.org

    lenny at digitalvdo.emmcloud.com

Vehicle Donation Program

Anthony Lanzilotti    267-414-4010

    tti777 at gmail.com

CHAPTER AND DIVISION UPDATES CAN BE FOUND ON THE NFBNJ WEBSITE

Deadline for the Fall 2014 issue is October 1, 2014.

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

www.nfbnj.org        www.blindchildren.org        www.thruoureyes.org

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Brian Mackey at bmackey88 at gmail.com

We care. We share.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

 <http://www.thoughtprovoker.info/> http://www.thoughtprovoker.info

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website-

http://writers.nfb.org

Chair, NFB Communications Committee

Vice President, Nebraska Senior Division

First Vice President, Omaha Chapter

Commissioner, Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired